Old August 3, 2002, 15:22   #31
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just edit it down, its a bug with the forum.
Old August 3, 2002, 15:25   #32
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
uh.... what's edit it down...
edit: k...done

Last edited by HuangShang; August 3, 2002 at 15:31.
Old August 3, 2002, 15:27   #33
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Well just so people dont have to scroll past it, just make it shorter, just put "DP" or something.

Or just leave it
Old August 3, 2002, 15:42   #34
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by HuangShang
1. i don't have spies so i'm trying to threathen the Mayans to give me advances
I am afraid that this won't help much, but once you have the tech...

Quote:
2. i forgot to add that the arabs(light blue) conquered another nation
Cool, but was it a big civ or just one of these newbe civs, I saw also a lot of them but in the end I just conquered one of them.

Quote:
its amazing how you won already... i cant play for a while though
Now I have some time but it requred two and a half day of playing, I think that were more than 20 hours. Now I can do some modding again. Actual the same thing again like in the last tournerment. But the cool thing was in comparision to the last tournerment that I saw some AIs trying conquering each other. (Also this happend in the late game when transport capacity increased.) That creates some atmosphere a feeling that you are not alone on this world.

Quote:
Well just so people dont have to scroll past it, just make it shorter, just put "DP" or something.

Or just leave it
Or use the long from: Double Post!

-Martin
Old August 3, 2002, 15:52   #35
HuangShang
King

how do you do all that separated qoutes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin G?mann
I am afraid that this won't help much, but once you have the tech...

Cool, but was it a big civ or just one of these newbe civs, I saw also a lot of them but in the end I just conquered one of them.

But the cool thing was in comparision to the last tournerment that I saw some AIs trying conquering each other. (Also this happend in the late game when transport capacity increased.) That creates some atmosphere a feeling that you are not alone on this world.
-Martin
1. i know

2. oh yeah... there may have been more Mayan-like civs... so i may have over 6 enemies

3. hell yeah
Old August 3, 2002, 16:05   #36
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
how do you do all that separated qoutes?
You could type every line by hand or use the copy and paste keys.

To copy a line just mark the line and press Ctrl + c then you go to a place where you want to have insert the line and press Ctrl + v. Of course if needed you can edit this line. By the way you can also copy and paste user names from the the side of the post in this way you can write the name correctly and you get also letters like ü.

Actual I started with quoting your post by pressing the quote button and use the copy and paste technique to split the huge quote in smaller parts.

Quote:
2. oh yeah... there may have been more Mayan-like civs... so i may have over 6 enemies
If you have the whole map then it shouldn't be a problem to see the whole map and you can find them, another way to find out if there are more little civs use the power graph on the side you find a list of all civs that are and were in the game.

Quote:
3. hell yeah
I thing last time it was worse. Just one more turn ....

-Martin
Old August 4, 2002, 22:34   #37
Shadow
Warlord

Local Time: 15:16
Took CTP II completely off my system and installed the Activision patch, Modswapper, Super Apolyton Pack 2, and Goodmod2.

I seem to be getting a lot of SLIC errors that're minimising the game. The only thing I recall (should start writing them down I guess...) is something about "can'tsleeponroad"... no idea what it means...

I can still just maximise the game again though so I'm getting through it slowly, it's just damn annoying. Anyone else having this problem?

Shadow
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old August 5, 2002, 08:07   #38
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Took CTP II completely off my system and installed the Activision patch, Modswapper, Super Apolyton Pack 2, and Goodmod2.

I seem to be getting a lot of SLIC errors that're minimising the game. The only thing I recall (should start writing them down I guess...) is something about "can'tsleeponroad"... no idea what it means...

I can still just maximise the game again though so I'm getting through it slowly, it's just damn annoying. Anyone else having this problem?

Shadow
To get rid of all the error messages, go to your userprofile.txt, open it with any text editor and find there the line DebugSlic=Yes. Change it to DebugSlic=No. Alternativly you can download these debugged slic files from the attachment and unzip them into your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder so that the existing files will be overwritten. Once you are in the game again open the chat window and enter /reloadslic slic. That will make most of the DebugSlic=Yes errors disappear. Occasional you will get some slic errors caused by the GM1_diplomod.slc. Note that I am not shure if the PlayerCityCount function does the same like player[0].cities as it should do, but in this way I was able to get rid of all the array index 0 out of bounce errors caused by the airunit.slc.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip debugged_slic.zip (18.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; August 5, 2002 at 12:58.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:11   #39
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Hey Martin,

Good job on the Mod, so far in my tourney game, things have been going very smooth(bug wise). The only slight problem that I encountered was when I took over an Arabian city that had copper within the city radius... it showed up in the trade screen for a turn, and then disappeared, and stayed gone. I stopped playing after several turns, and got back to my game a little later and it was back I don't know what the deal was. Any ideas?
Anyway, It was by no means a game breaker. I'm almost finished with the game. In case anyone's interested, I'm going the pacifist route this time ...
Old August 5, 2002, 17:06   #40
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Maybe they were already trading the copper with someone else for a while?
Old August 5, 2002, 18:59   #41
Shadow
Warlord

Thanks Martin, you were spot on.
I recall doing that before, simply forgot this time.

Cheers.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:30   #42
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 00:16
I take a stricter interpretation of the rules – I don’t replay any of my turns. I suppose that I would if the game crashed, but I haven’t crashed yet. But it’s already been mentioned before – we are in the tournament to have fun! I still need to get the Goodmod and the gamefile so I can start. How embarrassing that people are already finished and I have yet to begin!
Old August 6, 2002, 22:57   #43
Shadow
Warlord

I'm about to throw my damn monitor...!
Every 3 turns or so EVERY unit in all my cities automatically activates. I'm gunna go insane if it keeps doing this... it's driving me nuts!

Any ideas folks?
Old August 6, 2002, 23:35   #44
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Maybe they were already trading the copper with someone else for a while?

Maybe, but I don't recall any trade routes being visible

edit: any not ant

Last edited by centrifuge; August 7, 2002 at 11:55.
Old August 7, 2002, 05:26   #45
Jesper Portus
Chieftain

Re: I'm about to throw my damn monitor...!
Quote:
Every 3 turns or so EVERY unit in all my cities automatically activates. I'm gunna go insane if it keeps doing this... it's driving me nuts!

Any ideas folks?
I have the same problem!
0 BC I have big problems with my war against the polynesians. But in three turns I will have gunpowder!

So long
Jesper Portus
Old August 7, 2002, 05:38   #46
Shadow
Warlord

Hey JP,

The problem goes away. I have no idea what causes it, but it must just be something around that time period, as that's when I had it too. Now I'm at abuot 1700AD and all is fine.

Actually, it's all a bit too fine. I'm finding the AI a pushover... [shrug] Barbs have caused the most trouble. Although the Phoenecians did take one city that I've only just taken back.
I repayed them by making one of their cities revolt to form a new empire, and before long I'm going to split an atom or two within their borders... i.e. roll some nukes into their territory.

It's great knowing I'm in some form competing against other human players - Good luck folks!

Shadow
Old August 7, 2002, 10:38   #47
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:

Any ideas folks?
Actual this should only affect the AI, but obviously something went wrong, I got this problem in my game one time in the late game, so in most cases the code doesn't affect the human player (even if it should never affect the human player ).

In the attachment you can find the a fixed version of the better ai slic file just unzip it into your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder. Once you are in the game again just open the chat screen by pressing the apostrophe key and enter /reloadslic.

-Martin

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; August 7, 2002 at 10:46.
Old August 7, 2002, 10:46   #48
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Forgot the attachment. Sorry.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mg_betterai.zip (6.2 KB, 12 views)
Old August 7, 2002, 12:13   #49
HuangShang
King

Quote:

Any ideas folks?
yo... just to let Martin and the rest of you know...
this happened to me everytime someone(darn polys ) pillaged or pirated my property
hope the download helps

Last edited by HuangShang; August 7, 2002 at 12:20.
Old August 7, 2002, 18:54   #50
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
It's great knowing I'm in some form competing against other human players - Good luck folks!

Shadow
I can already tell I won't win this tourney (I'm around 1500 AD), but what is interesting is that knowing there are other people playing the same game is pushing me to play far more aggressive far early than I usually do. I usually sit back and defend, taking a city here and there until I switch over to a Communist government and start rolling out the units.

Second good thing is this tourney let me check out GoodMod, which I probably wouldn't haven't gotten around to for awhile. Turns out GoodMod's well ... a good mod. I'll be playing it more.
Old August 7, 2002, 20:38   #51
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Good to see there at least appears to be more interest in this tourney than in the last one, and VERY good to see the first savegame has already been submitted. Great job, Martin

I'm extremely busy right now but fortunately I managed to play most of this game before the real-life frenzy started, so I was able to finish the tourney in spite of real-life.

I must say I was kind of disappointed by the AI, but I guess with so few natural resources on the map and with this being only King level, it's not entirely unexpected. I eventually finished around 1500 AD, but I could have finished much sooner had I realized sooner how weak the Greeks really were militarily. I could probably easily have taken their 5 major cities before 1100 AD (which would have forced them to disband most of their armies outside their cities due to lack of support and made the remaining cities sitting ducks), had I bothered to try...
But I must say I was also a bit lucky: the Barbs had conquered the Dutch early, allowing me to build Ramayana and to take over the Dutch island without too much resistance. After that, I used the well-developed 8 cities on my own continent to pump out units and soon invaded one island after another, eliminating the smaller players on the map. I then waited for Democracy (I would have gone for Communism or Fascism but I was in a tech race with the Greeks for Machine Gunners and other modern weapons) and exploited the higher city limits to attack the remaining large players: Greeks, Arabs and Phoenicians (although the Phoenicians had lost several cities to a revolt and both them and the newly-created Bantus were small and weak by the time I started my invasion). It's a good thing the game ended when it did, because near the end my empire was so huge and drained by warfare that my economy had completely collapsed and the whole empire theatened to fall apart). All-in-all it was a fun game, and it would have been really hard had the AI been able to put up a better fight. (Savegame attached).

It will be interesting to see how people did the city placement in this game, on such a small island and all. Did anyone follow a specific strategy/approach? In my case, I did something I normally never do: once I had reconned the entire island, I made a screenshot and played around with it in MS Paint to draw a map of ideal city placement: I wanted to maximize tile usage. I must say this approach worked well: normally I place cities intuitively and I found out that when I had done this here, I would have ended up with 6 cities and about 10 unused land tiles (assuming city radius is 2, as it usually is for me for the most part of the game). By carefully planning with Paint, I managed to get 8 cities (would have been 9 if I hadn't already built the capital in the wrong spot) and only 4 unused tiles - and all these cities except one (which only never got the room to grow beyond the original radius of 1) developed very well very quickly.

About the savegame thing: it's impossible for me to check if people reloaded savegames so basically I can't make rules for it, we can only rely on the goodwill and sportsmanship of all participants. But the idea is of course that you don't reload, as replaying turns gives you an information advantage, which in some cases can make a huge difference. But of course, there's always the situation where the game might crash and you have no choice but to go back a few turns, or where you're a modmaker and you see an interesting development that you want to investigate closer, or whatever - the exceptions that confirm the rule. Whether or not something justifies a reload is something only the players can determine, especially *because* I can't check it. It goes without saying that reloading because you don't like the outcome of a battle or just lost a wonder race is blatant cheating, but in other cases it can sometimes be a fine line...

centrifuge,
The trade good thingie is probably because the good was located in the outer ring of the city radius: when the Arabs owned the city, the worked the outer ring and had the trade good. This meant that in the turn you conquered the city, you could trade the good yourself. The next turn, the city had decreased in size and probably had more specialists (entertainers) working in it due to the recent conquest, and was therefore no longer able to actually work on the outer ring (even though it was still part of the city radius). If the tile with the good is not worked, it's not tradeable either. Later, the number of specialists was reduced and/or the city increased in size and the outer ring of the city radius was worked again, once again making it possible to trade the good in this ring. Same thing happens to me all the time...

TheArsenal,
Yeah, this tournament has made me a more aggressive player as well. This tournament is really accomplishing all the goals I set out: familiarizing people with (and making them give feedback on) the various mods, making people better players, invoking strategy discussions, being entertaining, etc
Attached Files:
File Type: zip locutus.zip (186.0 KB, 3 views)
Old August 7, 2002, 20:39   #52
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Unofficial ranking so far:
Code:
Endyear
-------

Rank   Player		Victory Type	Year	Points  Cities	 Pop	Advanc	Wonders	Feats	Last Research
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1   Locutus (1)	Conquest	1505 AD	18,320	 48	 909	 44	12	 1	Oil Refining
 2   Martin Gühmann	Conquest	2300 AD 28,055	 50	1961	 91	25	 9	Virtual Democracy

Endscore
--------

Rank   Player		Victory Type	Points	Year    Cities	 Pop	Advanc	Wonders	Feats	Last Research
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1   Martin Gühmann	Conquest	28,055	2300 AD  50	1961	 91	25	 9	Virtual Democracy
 2   Locutus (1)	Conquest	18,320	1505 AD	 48	 909	 44	12	 1	Oil Refining

Last edited by Locutus; August 7, 2002 at 22:06.
Old August 7, 2002, 20:54   #53
HuangShang
King

1505 End Year... i better get all the points i can then... im already 18th century
Old August 7, 2002, 20:58   #54
HuangShang
King

hey... why's Martin Gühmann 2nd on points... got the numbers backwards 2's not first
Old August 7, 2002, 22:07   #55
Locutus
Deity

Don't worry, my score is not official as I'm the organisor of this tournament. It wouldn't be counted in the official ranking on the website, which is published at the end of the month...

Quote:
hey... why's Martin Gühmann 2nd on points... got the numbers backwards 2's not first
What are you talking about? (God, I love that edit feature)
Old August 7, 2002, 23:47   #56
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
centrifuge,
The trade good thingie is probably because the good was located in the outer ring of the city radius: when the Arabs owned the city, the worked the outer ring and had the trade good. This meant that in the turn you conquered the city, you could trade the good yourself. The next turn, the city had decreased in size and probably had more specialists (entertainers) working in it due to the recent conquest, and was therefore no longer able to actually work on the outer ring (even though it was still part of the city radius). If the tile with the good is not worked, it's not tradeable either. Later, the number of specialists was reduced and/or the city increased in size and the outer ring of the city radius was worked again, once again making it possible to trade the good in this ring. Same thing happens to me all the time...
Locutus,
Good point, this is probably the case. Though the good was in the "inner" (initial) city radius, but I assume that the same point applies.

I've really enjoyed this game, and I assume that I only have about ten turns left (I've been taking my sweet time ).

Another thing that I like about the tournament games (beside being able to check out the different mods) is that it has allowed me to try out different playing styles. For example, in the first tournament I went for a scientific, max cities, overall stud civilization win, the 2nd (well you know ) I decided to destroy damn near everything in my path... Now in this one, I've been going the peaceful diplomatic route. This game will probably give me the lowest endscore of any civ game I've ever played, but in exchange I think that I'll have one of my earliest victories, which I think is an acceptable trade-off.
Old August 7, 2002, 23:58   #57
Shadow
Warlord

You know, I just realised I don't really know what my game plan is. I've made an alliance, but then I want to re-enact chernobyl in a few countries...

It's making the game a bit more drawn out, but I'm still learning a lot about fast-tracking things.

Loc - I don't have a problem with you making your entry official, unless there's like some usual rule against that kind of thing.

Shadow
Old August 8, 2002, 08:08   #58
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Locutus:

For the AI I wished I had seen more, too, especially in the beginning. The problem was here that the AI had less room for expasion, so it couldn't get big, but in the end I saw some AI wars. And of course the invasion.

For city placement I did as usually, ok maybe a little bit close as normal, but not extreme.

The Dutch I saw that one of their cities was conquered by the Barbarian, but they retook the city.

-Martin
Old August 8, 2002, 22:12   #59
Shadow
Warlord

Don't ask a civ to hand over their last city... the game doesn't like it. Crashed to desktop on two attempts.

There was something else I was gunna say too... forgot for now.
Old August 8, 2002, 22:20   #60
Maquiladora
Emperor

I just got a somewhat strange occurance. I had 4 longships grouped and 2 units on each ship, when i tried to unload the ships onto a tile with 12 units already on it (dont ask me why) i moved the longships after emptying them and the troops were fortified on the water tile next to the 12 unit tile!!

I decided to move the longships back and put the troops back on, because i thought theyd die if i ended my turn.

I dont know if this is a CtP2 error, or Mod specific, so ill just mention it here.