Old August 1, 2002, 06:31   #1
psychobabble
Settler

Local Time: 15:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should I return?
I played Civ3 casually for a while when it was first released, and enjoyed the experience, even if it wasn't too different from Civ2. However I gave up after one of the early patches (1.16??) when the speed of AI tech trading just got depressing and then got sidetracked by other games.

I'm contemplating returning to the game, is it worth it? Is tech trading workably fixed? are there any other big problems remaining?

Also if I do return, I've noticed a plethora of community content out there, anyone want to give me recommends of some of the better ones?
Old August 1, 2002, 07:36   #2
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 05:17
1.29f is very good, "return" if you wish lol,

i couldn't give a monkees...
Old August 1, 2002, 07:43   #3
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 06:17
I can't understand why you went away in the first place but it's true that the tech trading and the AI have had quite a work over since 1.16f. So give it another try, although some are never and will never be satisfied with the game.

So long...
Old August 1, 2002, 08:17   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Tech trading is still much more aggressive than in the original and you will need to be in a very strong position to gain a tech lead at the higher difficulty levels but they no longer seem to trade during your turn.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:46   #5
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 00:17
Yes, by all means return. But when you do, download my Space Race mod (Click the link on my signature, and ignore the information, it IS updated, I've just had problems updating the information page.)

Yes, I know, another shameless plug.
Old August 1, 2002, 11:10   #6
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:17
Many bugs have been fixed and the tech trading is waaay better. So i'd give it another try if i were you. But im not you, so its not my problem....why am i responding....why am i here............
Old August 1, 2002, 18:34   #7
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Return. I've only had the game since 1.21, and I love it. By all means, stay away if you don't like it. Nobodies forcing you.

It takes time to understand the finer aspects of the game. YOu may think you understand everything, but Civ3 is a VERY deep game. I'm sure that if you devote a few day;s playing it, you'll love it.

Better than any strategy game I've every played. A must for all strategy fans.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:00   #8
Sargoth
Settler

hey Xerces. ever played SMAC?
Old August 1, 2002, 19:35   #9
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
Yes, by all means return. But when you do, download my Space Race mod (Click the link on my signature, and ignore the information, it IS updated, I've just had problems updating the information page.)

Yes, I know, another shameless plug.
No, no, no!

Download my MOD (link below).
Old August 1, 2002, 20:33   #10
Gangerolf
Prince

yes
Old August 1, 2002, 20:38   #11
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Firaxis has given us a hell of a game.
Old August 2, 2002, 00:07   #12
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:17
if only i knew where my smac cd is....
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old August 2, 2002, 00:39   #13
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
No, no, no!

Download my MOD (link below).
NO!!
MY mods!

MS Word format documentation of the mods, so you can pick and choose.
Attached Files:
File Type: doc jb's civ3 rule changes.doc (69.5 KB, 17 views)
Old August 2, 2002, 07:08   #14
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Return to Civ3. If you enjoyed the experience in the first place, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the game in its current state. Be sure to apply the latest patch (v1.29f).

As for mods from the community, I would not know which one to recommend, since I don't play with them, but check out on Snoopy's graphics mods, they are a very fine work.
Old August 2, 2002, 07:22   #15
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I stopped playing for a few months.
Not because I didn't like the game, but just because I didn't start a new game, and days became months, you know

But now with the new patch, and PtW coming soon I started a new game. I like it. I play emperor level, and it's really tough, but I like it.

I should say: defenitively return!
Old August 2, 2002, 10:09   #16
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

No. Stay away.
Old August 2, 2002, 11:29   #17
heidlejohn
Chieftain

The last patch is out. In general, Firaxis fixed some minor bugs and stopped some exploits. But it left most things unchanged.

The more I play the game, the more I am getting fed up with the unnecessary tedium in the game. You still have to go thru the 'close' nonsense in negotiations (10 more? 20? 30? 40? 400? == a colossal waste of time).
The F4 diplo screen is still unchanged. You still have to handle tile changes when pollution is cleaned up.

If you stopped playing because of annoyances like this, then I see no reason to comeback to Civ3. I still haven't broken my seven month Civ3 addiction yet, but I can see the day coming. In general, for me, Civ3 had a lot of good ideas that were poorly implemented. If you stopped playing it for a while alreadyl, you probably felt the same.
Old August 2, 2002, 14:44   #18
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Quote:
hey Xerces. ever played SMAC?
Nope. Is it any good?
Old August 2, 2002, 14:46   #19
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

(heidlejohn, if you don't enjoy seeing how much you can get for a trade down to the last single gold/turn because of the time taken then please, don't do it!)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 2, 2002, 14:51   #20
The Templar
Prince

I've developed a new form of marketing . . .
Old August 2, 2002, 17:48   #21
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by heidlejohn
The more I play the game, the more I am getting fed up with the unnecessary tedium in the game. You still have to go thru the 'close' nonsense in negotiations (10 more? 20? 30? 40? 400? == a colossal waste of time).
The F4 diplo screen is still unchanged. You still have to handle tile changes when pollution is cleaned up.
heidlejohn,

I, too, dislike that "fine-tuning" involved in the trades... but as Jaybe correctly pointed out, we are not required to do so. We can always accept the AI's proposal...

Anyway, I wanted to point out that what we both would probably like to see is a problem very difficult to solve for Firaxians. I suppose that you would prefer having your Trade Advisor come up with the correct proposal immediately (not just commenting what you are juggling with). There is a problem with this - basically, the trades are multiple-variable, multiple-solution problems. You can throw agreements, alliances, resources, luxuries, money upfront/per turn, cities, and workers in... and there is often way more than one possible "correct price" for a given something you want from the AI civ. How could that poor Trade Advisor know what exactly you would like to put on the table? I mean... yes, there would be ways how to implement it (like fixing several variables and asking for the last one to be calculated), but probably none of them would be convenient enough to use. It may be you would find that what we are currently doing is still the quickest way to find the result we seek (even if somewhat annoying quickest way... ).
Old August 3, 2002, 01:15   #22
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 05:17
Quote:
You still have to handle tile changes when pollution is cleaned up.
Hmmm . . . I've found the automatic cleanup/construction keys (CTRL + A, I think . . . somebody help me out) for the workers to be very good and useful.
Old August 3, 2002, 15:05   #23
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Xerces: SMAC is one of the best strategy games ever made. Insanely fun.

Even if you don't like sci-fi, it is worth to try it.
Old August 3, 2002, 17:45   #24
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Civ 3 in depth (NO) Civ 3 good game (NO)
Im sorry, anyone who says CIV3 is an in DEPTH game, really does not have a clue about strategy games. SMAC is in depth, Europa Universalis 2 (although not a great game) is in depth, but Civ 3 is definitly not in depth.

Civ 3 has been geared toward the majority audience to gain greater sales (which it has done)
In doing this has become in some aspects (all as firaxis would like to think) more user friendly and in virtualy all aspects less in depth. And in my opinion a real disapointment to the Civilization series and name.

Civ 3 is probably about as in DEPTH as Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (and probably as realistic *sarcasim*)

SMIFFGIG
Old August 3, 2002, 18:06   #25
player1
Emperor

In some parts less dept then SMAC?

Maybe.

Less depth then Civ2?

Not a chance!
Old August 3, 2002, 20:15   #26
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Well of course it has more depth than Civ 2, there isnt really to much of a comparasant between them. I didnt mention it was any more or less in depth than civ 2.

But the thing is Civ 2......... 8 YEARS AGO 1994 IF IM CORRECT.

Civ 3 is a game of now, and an un satisfactory one at that. People maybe willing to pay £35 for the game and £35 for the addon.

Edited out by Ming... Next time you promote a policy of piracy, you will be restricted. This site does not support such activity, and will not allow discussion of such illegal acts.

Last edited by Ming; August 5, 2002 at 22:47.
Old August 3, 2002, 21:07   #27
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Your reply is insulting, immoral, and either drunken or uneducated.

Don't waste my time.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 3, 2002, 21:28   #28
SMIFFGIG
Prince

:rolleyes:
Cease wasting your own time Theseus and go to another thread, if you find it insulting to bare up to someone elses opinion then there is truly something wrong with you.
Old August 3, 2002, 22:09   #29
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

SMIFFGIG, it's not so much your opinion as your insults that we find... well, insulting. Consider:

Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG's
Im sorry, anyone who says CIV3 is an in DEPTH game, really does not have a clue about strategy games.
Now that's dismissive of others' opinions... Don't you think it's a bit hypocritical for you to tell Theseus off for not respecting yours?

Quote:
Civ 3 has been geared toward the majority audience to gain greater sales (which it has done)
In doing this has become in some aspects (all as firaxis would like to think) more user friendly and in virtualy all aspects less in depth. And in my opinion a real disapointment to the Civilization series and name.
Good, a paragraph without insults. Use this as a model for your future posts... next time, though, use some examples.

Quote:
Civ 3 is probably about as in DEPTH as Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (and probably as realistic *sarcasim*)
Speaking of sarcasm, I'm sure that simile was very informative, and that you won a lot of people over to your point of view with sarcasm.
Old August 3, 2002, 22:41   #30
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Its clear to me that some people here are out of their depth.

Firaxis has given us a hell of a game.