Old August 1, 2002, 12:06   #1
steve p
Settler

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Target accuracy
is there anyway to improve the accuracy of my artillery and aircraft, at least 75% of all sheels or bombs are "failed" no matter what the terrain
Old August 1, 2002, 12:47   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No. Unless you want to change their bombardment values in the Editor.

When bombarding cities, there is a 50% chance of defenders being targeted, 25% improvements, and 25% population. AFTER target is determined, then it is the bombardment strength vs. defense strength. Since version 1.17 (or before) city improvements and population points have a defense strength of 16 (sixteen).

Cruise Missiles attacking cities seem to target only the defender (0% improvements or population).

For both city and NON-city terrain, do not forget to take in account the defensive multiplier for the terrain (or city/metropolis). I do not know if city walls count for bombardment.

(Generic use of term "city" used, for town/city/metropolis).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 1, 2002, 21:01   #3
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

It would be interesting to have technology affect this- i.e. certain techs give x2 bombard chance in the same way that a tech (which?) gives x2 workers...

Would be a great way to reflect the addition of aircraft spotting...

Would also be great for modding.
Old August 2, 2002, 00:26   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I disagree with phunny_pharmer's idea for multiplying bombardment strengths with technology. This has already been done with increases in bombardment strength with later bombardment units.

The 16 strength of population and improvements have been increased to provide proper balance. They were initially 4 (I believe), then increased to 8, then to their current 16.

These increases most likely were to deal with balancing with bombers and artillery, the most-used bombardiers of cities.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 2, 2002, 03:15   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 06:18
Try attacking with lots of units protected of course with Infantry etc.A stack of 25 Artillery and ample
(you decide)number of defensive units can reduce the largest of cities to rubble I mean size1.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old August 4, 2002, 02:45   #6
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
No. Unless you want to change their bombardment values in the Editor.

When bombarding cities, there is a 50% chance of defenders being targeted, 25% improvements, and 25% population. AFTER target is determined, then it is the bombardment strength vs. defense strength. Since version 1.17 (or before) city improvements and population points have a defense strength of 16 (sixteen).

Cruise Missiles attacking cities seem to target only the defender (0% improvements or population).

For both city and NON-city terrain, do not forget to take in account the defensive multiplier for the terrain (or city/metropolis). I do not know if city walls count for bombardment.

(Generic use of term "city" used, for town/city/metropolis).
Very interesting