Old August 1, 2002, 12:40   #1
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Two questions regarding cultural victory
Two questions regarding cultural victory:[list=1][*]Has anyone managed the '20,000 culture points in a single city' variant of a cultural victory on Monarch or higher?[*]Has anyone witnessed an AI cultural victory (any of the two variants)?[/list=1]My answers so far:[list=1][*]I didn't manage one. I succeeded on Regent (with 11 great and a bunch of small wonders in my capital), then tried on Monarch and had about 17,000 culture points in my 'amazing city' when one of the AI's launched its spaceship.[*]I never have, and have never seen an AI that came even close.[/list=1]
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 1, 2002, 13:05   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 01:18
1. Yes, a long time ago, in my one and only OCC attempt at Monarch.

2. No. The AI gets started on cultural builds late. I suppose it could happen if one AI civ is dominant but lacks the resources for a launch, and the human is not doing well at all. The AI certainly doesn't put all Wonders in the same city.
Old August 1, 2002, 13:44   #3
ShuShu
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:18
I have an entire thread dedicated...
... to doing just that.

As alexman points out, you pretty much need an OCC strategy to do it, but the flip side is that cultural victory is a much more viable approach than space ship launch if you truly have only one city. ( I play on emperor)

I have only ever witnessed the AI win one game, and that was by UN election. ( I quit long before it comes to the AI winning )
Old August 1, 2002, 13:45   #4
zulu9812
King

1. Yes, when I built all the wonders in my capital.

2. Losing to the AI via cultural victory is just plain embarressing...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 1, 2002, 13:50   #5
KingJoff
Settler

What are the numbers for Cultural Victory on Huge Maps, by the way? Does the single-city number change there?

I just finished a game where France definitely passed 100,000 before I did: they were about 10% bigger than me on the cultural histograph the entire modern era. Got a spaceship launched before they passed whatever the actual threshold for CV on a huge map is, though.
Old August 1, 2002, 14:15   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

AFAIK, the single-city number doesn't change with mapsize. As for the 100,000 mark: You also need at least the double amount of culture than any other Civ. I actually managed a cultural victory with about 105,000 points after I had captured a bunch of cities from my main rival.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 1, 2002, 15:26   #7
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Check out Zachriel's Game of the Month #9 (from CFC). Single city culture victory at Emperor (and far from OCC). [EDIT: Zachriel did not sell off culture producing improvements to avoid the 100K win - he simply made sure that his total culture didn't reach 2x another civ's total culture - thus enabling the "more elegant" 20K win (his words, my agreement and respect ).

The game summary (graphical and very entertaining) is HERE.

Catt

Last edited by Catt; August 1, 2002 at 15:37.
Old August 1, 2002, 17:29   #8
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Yep, the summary IS entertaining. And 9 great wonders in a single city on Emperor ... I realy should focus more on leader generation in my (Monarch) games ...