Old August 2, 2002, 14:47   #1
Tis I
Warlord

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hardest Game/Level you've ever played(not necessarily beaten...)
My vote is for Homeworld. That last mission is horrid. Still haven't beaten it in fact.
Did he who made the lamb make thee?
Old August 2, 2002, 15:28   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tho it's a weenie game, my mom was a Tetris addict. In her prime she could always roll up ridiculously high scores, hundreds of levels into the game. I could hardly even identify the shape of the piece falling, and she'd scoot it into place.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 2, 2002, 15:33   #3
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 23:21
The Bouncer on PS2 is currently giving me some hang-ups... with as lousy of a level-up system as it has, when you get later into the game you just can't cut it. Still waiting to probably just get a gameshark and beat the thing... the main reason I got it was for the multiplayer battle mode.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 2, 2002, 15:56   #4
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Nothing has ever been as hard as Bard's tale 3 last dungeon. I had the clue/cheat/help book in my hand and could not do it in ten attempts before I just gave up!
No light (can't see...black screen)
No compass (where am I going [and why am I in this handbasket])
Walk through a maze filled with spin and teleport squares in the right sequence to pass (this will make the game real fun...whatever!).

R:PM
Old August 2, 2002, 16:18   #5
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 01:21
Serious Sam on Serious in particular the Dunes. I didn't make any further than that on serious I'm sure there were some older games which were really hard but I can't remember them at the moment.
Old August 2, 2002, 22:41   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:21
I found WarCraft II very hard, until I mastered it. I've gotta say that Donkey Kong 64 is still harder, though.
Old August 2, 2002, 22:55   #7
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I found WarCraft II very hard, until I mastered it. I've gotta say that Donkey Kong 64 is still harder, though.
Agreed. I know only one person that beat the first level. From what she told me, it isn't that hard it is just impossible to figure out where you need to go. But I lost patience after about an hour of walking around the same places over and over again.
Old August 2, 2002, 23:08   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:21
Thief is difficult. Even at the end, one mistake could cost you your life. Playing each level without saving makes it almost impossible.
Old August 2, 2002, 23:48   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
What's this, a contest of masochistic tendencies?

"Oo, oo, this hurts bad."
"No, no, this is worse."
Old August 3, 2002, 04:32   #10
Victor Galis
Emperor

1942... even when I was good at it, I could make it through at most half of the game.
Old August 3, 2002, 04:54   #11
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 06:21
I remember that some Commandos missions where really hard, I beat them all though and the last mission was actually quite easy.
Old August 3, 2002, 05:24   #12
Victor Galis
Emperor

There was also this one red alert mission, that my friend and I spent 2 hours defeating the allies in, then another 2 hours searching for camo. pillboxes that were so expertly hidden. That's the thing that pissed me off about red alert. You didn't win until you killed everything, even if the opponent had NO chance whatsoever.

Reminds me of this 8 player game we played. The rules were: winner is person with most kills among those who survive. One guy went out and killed a lot of people. I took it easy, then sent my MiGs to rain death on the survivors. I quickly mopped up everyone including this guy, but I'd missed his subpen long enough for him to build 3 subs. I couldn't find them before time was called, and he was declared winner by kill count Even though I had a base and an army, an airforce, and a navy, and he had 3 subs.
Old August 3, 2002, 14:00   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
1942... even when I was good at it, I could make it through at most half of the game.
What's this? The arcane game where your lone plane takes on the entire IJN?

Or is that 1943?
Old August 3, 2002, 14:03   #14
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 05:21
Commandos 2 is one of the more challanging games I've ever played.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 3, 2002, 15:15   #15
Victor Galis
Emperor

IJN?
Old August 3, 2002, 21:30   #16
Standup
Prince

I'm guessing but...
Imperial Japanese Navy ?
I could never master defender despite spending most Saturdays of my teenage years trying to. Centipede i mastered but it was Defender that attracted all the attention.
Old August 3, 2002, 21:43   #17
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Re: Hardest Game/Level you've ever played(not necessarily beaten...)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tis I
My vote is for Homeworld. That last mission is horrid. Still haven't beaten it in fact.
I agree. And I had almost one hundred Ion Cannon Frigates salvaged from the Bridge of Lost Souls (Before the big bad meteor mission). They just didn't make it in time to rescue the Mothership from the three four Heavy Cruiser flights coming in.
The only friggin' game I own I haven't completed. And it's a very good game too, except for that last ****ing mission.
Old August 4, 2002, 12:32   #18
Sandman
King

Quote:
I've done it! Can't remember how though.
Old August 4, 2002, 14:17   #19
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

X-COM3 had a horrid learning curve, even though it was a great game. I had to start again 3 or 4 times (and it was a long campaign) to beat the game.

Jagged Alliance 2 was also close to impossible at the end; I never did finish the last mission.
Old August 4, 2002, 17:01   #20
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

A friend of mine who finished Homeworld told me that you just had to salvage all you could. But, I mean, I had one hundred ICFs!

Oh, X-COM 2 was also horrific. Terror missions started coming in before you got Gauss guns. Ammo ran out
quickly, and those three-stage ship purging missions were hell. One time I had to clean up the bottom deck with three guys, one with a Gauss Pistol with a f ew rounds, one with nothing but a couple of Sonic grenades, one with a Dart Rifle. And they couldn't use Sonic Blasters or Rifles, just Pistols.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:18   #21
Sandman
King

Try using minefields for the fleets which come straight at you, and disrupting the fleet which comes from above with whatever fighters you have lying around.

Also, don't bother using formations for your capital ships, they stick together closely when you give them orders.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:37   #22
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Minefields? That's new. I never bothered with mines... now if only I hadn't uninstalled the game...
Old August 4, 2002, 22:25   #23
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Thief had some pretty difficult missions, but I'd say that the toughest mission ever is the final mission in Raid Over Moscow. In the countless times we played the game, my brother and I managed to beat the last level one time on the easiest difficulty, and even then we died in the ensuing nuclear blast. (The mission is that you're supposed to destroy a robot in charge of cooling the nuclear reactor in Moscow so that the city will go nuclear. If you sufficiently damage the robot then the city will go nuclear, but you can't actually leave until you destroy the robot, hence the possibility of fulfilling your mission objectives while still dying).
Old August 4, 2002, 23:11   #24
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Myth I. Beat it at the hardest difficulty.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old August 5, 2002, 04:31   #25
chronocrator
Warlord

Monkey Island 2 had a pretty hard ending, too, I did not particularly like it since you had to react fast and Le Chuck would always arrive so fast.

Its one reason why I prefer part 1 and 3.
Old August 5, 2002, 06:53   #26
Drew Dude
Settler

Local Time: 05:21
Serious Sam - the level where you are in a long alley (street?). You initially have to jump over a spiked pit, you then get the bulls running at you followed by hundreds of those skeleton type things and then god knows what else around the last corner. Serious save and load territory.
Old August 5, 2002, 07:14   #27
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 22:21
Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
Nothing has ever been as hard as Bard's tale 3 last dungeon. I had the clue/cheat/help book in my hand and could not do it in ten attempts before I just gave up!
No light (can't see...black screen)
No compass (where am I going [and why am I in this handbasket])
Walk through a maze filled with spin and teleport squares in the right sequence to pass (this will make the game real fun...whatever!).

R:PM
Good gosh, sounds like a place for a lot of SCSI spells. unless they were no magic areas, too? of course, it will always spin you again if you're standing on a spin square and you cast SCSI - AFTER the spell gives you orientation....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 5, 2002, 07:19   #28
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chronocrator
Monkey Island 2 had a pretty hard ending, too, I did not particularly like it since you had to react fast and Le Chuck would always arrive so fast.

Its one reason why I prefer part 1 and 3.
That part was pretty bad, but I think the spitting cotest was worse. I mean, I had the walkthrough, did everything right, and still missed it about 25 times before finally getting it.

I mean, LeChuck keeping torturing you to death was annoying, but grabbing his underwear and getting his beard were easier than the spitting contest.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old August 5, 2002, 07:23   #29
Father Beast
King

My vote goes for the last mission in Star Trek 25th Anniversary. the part where you have to defeat an evil duplicate Enterprise twice as strong and fast as yours.

Never beaten it.
Don't know anyone who ever did.
Never heard of anyone who ever did, cheats or not.
and it's a freaking adventure game for goodness' sake!

Old August 5, 2002, 07:23   #30
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Ah, Monkey island, what a classic series.

The thought of trapping Stan in the coffin still brings a smile to my face.