Old August 4, 2002, 04:38   #1
samoza
Settler

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
tarnished reputaion - help me
why does this always happen to me? ill be playing the game and a majority of the people are polite towards me except one who ive just had a war with, but half the other civs had a go at him too! Then all of a sudden with no seemingly obvoius reason they all get annoyed with me.i cant do any trading now and they keep demanding tributes off me and if i refuse they declare war, well the bigger ones do. im playing on regent and am having to constantly reload because im not ready to fight a war with everyone. So basically how do i improve my rep and why in the first place do they all get angry?
Old August 4, 2002, 06:16   #2
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 14:26
Well if you are the most powerful nation in the world, then the AI Civs will all start to resent you for your unilateralism (much as many nations resent the USA at present). The only thing you can do in that case while maintaining your lead is to appease them with occasional gifts. Also, if you are selling them luxuries or resources, they will be more reluctant to go to war with you because this will cut off their supply.

If you have not been breaking any agreements, then your reputation is ok. Remember that reputation is separate from regard. Reputation is how much they trust you, which affects how willing they are to make deals with you. Regard is how well they like you (Gracious>Polite>Cautious>Annoyed>Furious). Regard always drops during and soon after you are at war with a Civ, and it drops any time that you are the stongest Civ in the world.
Old August 4, 2002, 11:42   #3
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A couple of possibilities here:

1) If you are trading with their enemy, they get mad.

2) If you break a trade, everyone gets mad and will be reluctant to trade with you (outright refusing to accept per-turn deals).

A note about #2 is that "breaking the trade" could easily be a result of them destroying your trade partner's ability to trade (by cutting off land access, capturing/destroying/blockading his harbors and airports, etc.). This, IMHO, is a huge problem with the way the AI evaluates your reliability as a trade partner. The AI needs to be tweaked to evaluate why your trade deal was broken and if it was your fault.
Old August 4, 2002, 12:25   #4
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:26
Another possibility (happened to me quite frequently): You did not install embassies in all known Civs.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 17, 2002, 21:32   #5
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

Hm, I think when you get very powerful sia correct idea why people start to resent you, as the only major power, people will think of you as a "tyrant" and ally among themselves. Yes, keep on your supremecy, but, because I ussualy take dwn most nations that are annoyed with me and refuse to trade, I would not reccomend giving them techs, just a bit of gold, about 50-100 is enough for theirn weak existance.
Old August 17, 2002, 21:34   #6
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

Also, when you ally on a military alliance, the civ that ws ounce annoyed will be gracious, this is odd, because they fells some "bond" the Ai does, but when the war is over, they go back to annoyed, this leads me to the conclusion that "annoyed" is most-likly a commun state with the AI and it is only when they deny trande and gpt agreements is when you need to take action for what you want.