Old August 6, 2002, 14:41   #151
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Leland
Does the Minister of Energy and Industry decide all by himself what the bases should be building? That gives him huge powers, because he can decide whether to build military units, crawlers, colony pods, or base facilities... then again, I suppose that if he cannot negotiate with other ministers very well it will be remembered in the next election.
i think that the directors of military, terraforming, and colonisation would request that certain bases build things, and the rest of the time, the director of E&I builds base facilities. Should we create a separate director for secret projects, or just leave it to the director of E&I?
Old August 6, 2002, 14:42   #152
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:30
why dont we make a minister of defense (overall defense/unitdesign/unit building) and a tatical officier (moving the units in time of war)

and the M of E and I must not be the only one that make the building orders he says what he wants in with bases (buildings) and the others says what the want (M of D armyunits M of T terraformers) and the president or a poll decides what will be build in the cities that different ministers want to use....what about this?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 6, 2002, 14:45   #153
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

i think that everything relating to military should be left to the director of defence.

as for the I&E, maybe the president (or alpha talent?) should decide. right now they really doesn't have many decisions to make.
Old August 6, 2002, 15:18   #154
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:30
i agree (but you could have read that already 2 replys up )
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 6, 2002, 15:19   #155
Method
Emperor

oh

i only paid attention to poll part i guess.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:21   #156
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 07:30
Hmm.. and as for Lemmy's suggestion, that would make the game far too slow. Like pointed before, the commissioner of Defense can always ask for counselling concerning the units, and co-operation with other commissioners is always fruitful.
Old August 6, 2002, 18:56   #157
Leland
Prince

I think the Commissioner or Alpha Talent should have as little power as possible; mostly filling in what the Directors didn't anticipate or tell him. That's why it sounds better to have the directors capable of figuring out by themselves (with the help of the people, of course) what to do. I can see two possible solutions:

1) There could be one director whose job is to decide which "directorate" gets to decide what and where to build. For example if Director of Defence wants to build a Planet Buster and Director of Industry wants to build a tree farm, he can choose between the two.

2) Directors could negotiate and try to reach a consensus. I figure this work out somehow like this: all directors post their suggestions of what to build and where to the forum. Some bases might have only one build proposal, so in those cases there's no question about what to do. In cases where several directors want to build something in a base, a public vote is held and that decides. If there's no time for a poll or if the poll result is ambiguous, the Commissioner can improvise.

Uhm. Sounds kind of bureacratic.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:00   #158
Anodyne
Prince

Hmm... if Leland's suggestion #1 was used, then we might have the Commissioner to choose the VP for himself. But it has the danger of power shifting too much on one party.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:00   #159
Method
Emperor

i like 1 better. maybe this new director is just the alpha talent? that way if we go with the runner up in the commissioner election, it would eliminate the problem with one party having all the power.

how did they do it in civ2?
Old August 6, 2002, 19:19   #160
Anodyne
Prince

OTOH, if it's the runner up and his views differ from those of the elected Commissioner, they might face conflicts that hinder the gaming process...
Old August 6, 2002, 19:25   #161
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
IIRC the procedure in Civ2 was to have the runnerup act as the Alpha Talent, erm I mean vice president. It's worked out pretty well. The Alpha Talent and Commissioner won't have such influence over things that they'd have problems with ideologues. Of course, if the system doesn't work then a new one can be implemented.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:29   #162
Anodyne
Prince

Hmm.
Well, I'm in for trying that. So, runner-up as Alpha Talent I say.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:44   #163
Leland
Prince

Wait wait wait... you guys want to have Alpha Talent decide when Directorate disagrees? That would give the runner-up practically the most power in the whole faction, I'm not really sure how it can work out.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:53   #164
Method
Emperor

no, i meant what did they do in civ2dg to decide who built what where?
Old August 6, 2002, 21:14   #165
Anodyne
Prince

Built... you mean cities, city improvements or terrain improvements (by settlers in civ/terraformers in AC) ?
Old August 6, 2002, 21:17   #166
Method
Emperor

no. we're trying to figure out who decides what the bases build. if the director of defence wants to build an impact rover, and the director of terraforming wants a former, who decides what to build?
Old August 6, 2002, 21:20   #167
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Hoopla. That is the core question... the public? The Commissioner? What about a third Director involved in base structures who must support one or another?
Old August 6, 2002, 21:21   #168
Method
Emperor

and i wondered how they did it in the civ3dg
Old August 6, 2002, 21:31   #169
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Well I had no idea so I made a suggestion myself. I'd better look into it.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:42   #170
Leland
Prince

We could have a new elected official called "Director of Public Production" or maybe split the "Director of Economy and Industry" into two separate directors. Anyway, this new director (be it "Industry", "Production", or whatever) would be responsible only about deciding which of the other directors have the precedence in build queues. He'd also be the only one besides the relevant director who would have the right to abort or retool production. Sound good?
Old August 6, 2002, 21:46   #171
Method
Emperor

hmmm. maybe, but why not just make it the commish or vice-commish? i ask about civ2dg because kass was in it. i'll wait and see how they handled it.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:48   #172
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Or we could just shift the responsibility to the Director of Infrastructure, after all we'd have him voted out in a split second if he decided to start building Tree Farms when a horde of Impact Rovers are closing in.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:50   #173
Method
Emperor

so a director who wants something built reports it to the director of infastructure, who then decides what is most important, and reports it to the commish?

is that what they did in civ2?
Old August 6, 2002, 21:51   #174
Kassiopeia
Emperor

In Civ2, when I was in the Ministry of City Planning, we had polls to decide build orders for the towns... yes, it was rather tardy.
Then we refined the system a bit and IIRC started to have these pre-set build queus, like Settler - Warrior - Temple, from which to poll.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:53   #175
Method
Emperor

ugh. i like the director of infastructure idea.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:55   #176
Kassiopeia
Emperor

But I really think we can incorporate something better then the Civ2 system, something more streamlined and effective.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:56   #177
Method
Emperor

i dont think there is a streamlined way to do this. maybe we could ask the civ3ers
Old August 6, 2002, 22:02   #178
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
Or we could just shift the responsibility to the Director of Infrastructure, after all we'd have him voted out in a split second if he decided to start building Tree Farms when a horde of Impact Rovers are closing in.
I don't like that, because then he could easily use his influence to blackmail other directors into building what he wants: "You can only get this build if you promise to build missile infiltrators, otherwise it's tree farms for you".

Also, I am against giving any power to the commissioner, much less his runner-up. I think that a separate director is the best way to go (it's not as if the Director of Economy and Industry doesn't have enough things to do already).

EDIT: oh wait, who exactly is the director of infrastructure? Just someone who decides general categories (facilities, military units, pods/formers, ...), or is he supposed to be responsible for something more detailed? If the former is the case, then I agree that we need one.
Old August 6, 2002, 22:04   #179
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:30
I would also prefer having a direcotr infrastructure. If he don't make a good job, he will lower his chance to be reelected
Old August 6, 2002, 22:07   #180
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:30
Quote:
"You can only get this build if you promise to build missile infiltrators, otherwise it's tree farms for you".
I hope this kind of blackmail would be reported by the victim !! He has only to make a screenshot of his PM and to make the thread to make sure.
We had this case on a NES in CFC. Napoleon tried to blackmail the Tzar of Russia but the Tzar posted the screenshot of the PM Napoleon sent : It made a big scandal but it was fun