Old August 4, 2002, 17:45   #1
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 07:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Choosing the First Comissioner
As it has been pointed out before, the first thing we need is a Commissioner (President, Leader, etc...), who'll take matters in charge for the first month of this Democracy Game. To put things short, he's the one who actually plays the game physically, but as we're just starting, he'll take matters in hands here in forums, and he'll have final say on whatever we decide here (on the ministers, etc...).

So, all nominees please sign up. After we've got a couple of candidates, we'll arrange a poll. I won't sign up myself.

( Edit: )

Provisionally, the candidates who have shown up, are:
Kassiopeia (withdrawn)
Death By The Sword
Crisler
Darkness' Edge

Last edited by Anodyne; August 5, 2002 at 18:27.
Old August 4, 2002, 17:47   #2
Anodyne
Prince

...and if you think you're up to the job, remember:

A Comissioner should not only be a very active member here on boards, and capable of taking matters / leadership into his hands, he should also have the ability to be democratic and listen to others.

Plus, he should be good at playing SMAC
Old August 4, 2002, 17:52   #3
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:30
i think that the most people are a bitt scared now. i am considering signing up. but i must say i am not good in the early stages of the game. maybe 100 turns later.....i am still thinking
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 4, 2002, 17:55   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I consider myself pretty good at the economic part of the game, especially the first 100 turns, even compared to the better MP players here on Poly. My military skills aren't that well though. But I'm far from a very active member of this board, so I don't think I should go for commisioner.
Old August 4, 2002, 17:58   #5
Anodyne
Prince

That's why we have Ministers.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:01   #6
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

off-treadtopic perhapse i would make a great minister of war
sun-ztu`s art of war is my bible i have 3 different versions. (no offence against anyone that is a christian offcourse) (i am getting tired my spelling is getting worse)
Old August 4, 2002, 18:10   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Ade
That's why we have Ministers.
Then I guess I will try to get elected as Minister of Inf & Eco or even better of Terra & Col.

DbtS, why would anyone be offended by the fact that you like Sun Tzu's book?
Old August 4, 2002, 18:16   #8
DeathByTheSword
King

nobody but i compare it with the bible and i persons in my hometown do not like that
Old August 4, 2002, 18:18   #9
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
Ok. I nominate myself, to be the first Commissioner.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:19   #10
Anodyne
Prince

Okay. I'll edit the first post for every new candidate.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:21   #11
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

But we should wait at least two three days before putting up a poll. It's Sunday FFS. Err, Monday.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:21   #12
DeathByTheSword
King

if one lamb goes over the dam the rest will follow
i will run for office
Old August 4, 2002, 18:22   #13
Anodyne
Prince

Ookay, DBTS.

Don't worry folks, we'll wait for a good couple of days.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:23   #14
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
nobody but i compare it with the bible and i persons in my hometown do not like that
Odd. I would think that our countries Belgium and the Netherlands would be largely atheist.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:26   #15
DeathByTheSword
King

yes it is but there is that 1% that isnt
Old August 4, 2002, 18:31   #16
Anodyne
Prince

Hey, stop the threadjack, guys!
Old August 4, 2002, 18:33   #17
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
As the least experienced player here I feel I am the perfect candidate for the job of the first Chairman. I will rely less on my skills and more on the advice offered by others. As such my leadership woiuld be a true representation of the groups opinions and not of my own.

Also as a member of the Fundamentalist Faction it falls to me to make sure that we begin our new conoly on a moral high ground. For it has been by the grace of God that we have made it to the planet. As such we should honor that grace in all that we do.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 4, 2002, 18:35   #18
Kassiopeia
Emperor

****. I just remembered that I might have trouble getting online for the rest of the month! That sort of inactivity might be quite a hindrance.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:37   #19
Anodyne
Prince

So, that was a sign-up, Crisler? Yes, good

Duh, Comissioner, Commissioner, Tomaato, tomeito...

ok, my bad.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:37   #20
DeathByTheSword
King

we have our first party cool and sorry for the treadjacking.

what i can say about my playingstyle....i am a techfreak. i will try to gain a tech adv. early in the game. but with out losing site of expasion and defense.

how long wil the first Commissioner be in office?
Old August 4, 2002, 18:38   #21
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Then again, if my candidacy is the only way to avoid Fundie (referring to earlier post)...
Old August 4, 2002, 18:42   #22
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I think the first Commissioner shouldn't start playing yet, but set the foundation for the September term. For September we could elect a cabinet and start playing the actual game. We'd spend this month to set out the basic game systems, posts and procedures.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:43   #23
Anodyne
Prince

Hehe.
Well, Kass, as I said, we won't have a final poll for Commissioner for some time, so you can think about your candidacy given the circumstances.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:44   #24
Anodyne
Prince

Hmm... you're right, Kass. We might set the August for planning only... as it is most likely to take a lot of time.
Old August 4, 2002, 18:46   #25
DeathByTheSword
King

ade, kass, you have my support
Old August 4, 2002, 19:27   #26
Maniac

As DBTS is in my party, my vote for Commissioner goes to him. Unless of course he withdraws his candidacy in favour of Kassiopeia. (What does that last post refer to?)
Old August 4, 2002, 19:33   #27
DeathByTheSword
King

i am running for Commissioner and i want to tell what my short term plans are:

*starting the game aroud sept.
*have a clear list of ministersroles and rules of the demo game (a constitution maybe)
*post a lot a poll what our people want.
*and try to get more members. active player or just citizens
*to create a real politial system

I hope I have the support of my party P4 (Poly Party of Progress and Prosperity)

Last edited by DeathByTheSword; August 5, 2002 at 07:22.
Old August 4, 2002, 19:36   #28
Maniac

Let's go on election campaign.
Old August 4, 2002, 20:09   #29
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Greetings, I gree you all and pray are you enjoying peace in your life and blessings from our Mighty God and Savior.

I come before you today to speak to you on a matter of concern that is weighing on all our minds, the selection of our first Chairman/Commisioner.

Having looked over the duties of this office I offer myself as the best logical choice. My reasoning is as follows:

First, I am the least experienced player here. While this might seem a bad thing, in truth it is a good starting point for this position. As a weaker player and knowing I am a weaker player, I will be more likely to listen to every opinion, no matter how bizzarr and far fetched. I will listen to all these opinions becuase I know my weakness and will use your knowledge as strength for us all. A stronger player would be biased by his skills and knowledge and as such would be less likely to give everyone, included perceived weaker playaers, a listen.

Second, I bring a thoughfulness to this position. I make no major moves in my life without the benefit of prayer, I trust God and wise counsel to lead me where I must go. As such I will not jump when slow deliberation is the best thing.

Third I am prepared to make the hard choices. A good leader must listen to everyone and must look at all views, but in the end he must realize that he is the final place the decision rests. As such he must be prepared to make the hard choice of bucking the opinion when he feels it is right. However if he must do so he must also be prepared to answer to his followers if the decision causes a disaster.

I am a man of peace, while man play the Belivers as a warrior faction, I have played all my games using them in a peaceful fashion. I have won about 75% of my games in solo play and all but one have been completed to a peaceful conclusion. War is an evil that is best avoided, but if we must fight we fight strong. While I do not advocate the beginning of hostilities, I do advocate winning them when they start. As such I propose the formation of eleite teams of troops to guard each citty and an elite strike team to counter any attacks made against us. We will accept peace when offered, but we will meet force with a more powerful force.

Lastly I belive I can provide a moral rudder to our colony. All decisions are taken into account not just for the advancement of our colony but for the welfare of the people living in them. Advancements that do not benefit the colony should be held off waiting until the people are prepared. This moral compass will also apply to out council. We will make all discussions in open, I then propose meeting with my head advisors and then after prayer making the final choice.

In the end all of our collective future rests in the hands of the Chairman we elect. I propose that I am the best man for that job.

E.L. Crisler
Fundementalist Faction
Old August 4, 2002, 21:18   #30
Kassiopeia
Emperor

M@ni@ac, his support was for the proposal of what the Commissioner's duties would be in August.