Old August 4, 2002, 21:40   #1
C Chulainn
Warlord

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cheating or Not?
Here's the situation - at Warlord level, approaching the end of the Mediaeval era, I'm the most advanced civilisation, apart from the Persians, who have Military Tradition, which I don't.
I approach the Persians and ask what I can give them in the way of money and luxuries and they say that there is no way at all whatsoever that they would ever think of trading ANYTHING for this tech. Fair enough, if I were them I wouldn't do it either... but then, after about six turns, suddenly the Persians, the English, and the Zulus are all Industrial, and there's my Science Advisor moaning that we are backward people!
On inspection, they have all acquired 3 advances... has the AI awarded itself these out of the blue, or have the Persians had a sudden change of heart and entrered into a frantic tech trading spree with the English and the Zulus?
It's not a serious problem, because I could in one turn cut the Persians off from their saltpetre and iron resources and seize three of their cities, if I wanted to play it that way... but I'm just a bit curious as to whether the AI likes to either cheat with techs or freely swap them while refusing offers from the human player...?
Old August 4, 2002, 21:44   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:31
There are lot's of threads about this very issue around here.
Take a big bag of chips, a huge bottle of coke,go back a few pages, and read and read and read
Old August 4, 2002, 22:33   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is nothing new. The AI likes to trade between themselves for virtually nothing but absolutely refuse to even discuss a similiat trade with you. The inter AI trade rate can be changed by the editor but it is sort of said that you have to do this to begin with.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 5, 2002, 09:03   #4
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
hi ,

a SAVe would do a lot , ...

have a nice day
Old August 5, 2002, 12:35   #5
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
This is nothing new. The AI likes to trade between themselves for virtually nothing but absolutely refuse to even discuss a similiat trade with you. The inter AI trade rate can be changed by the editor but it is sort of said that you have to do this to begin with.
I disagree. The AI is merely more active in diplomacy then the human player. In my current game on Marla's all the big civs seem to have equal techs, but they are not just giving them to the little civs. I believe that this is because the big civs actually have something to offer, while the little ones dont. Also, I am ussually on "annoyed" with most of my neighbors. I wonder if more of them were nicer too me if it would be easier to trade.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 5, 2002, 14:22   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The bigger, wealthier you are, the more valuable things are to you, so they are more expensive. Also, the AI is really selfish of brand new techs, but a couple turns later and things could be different.

As scientific civs advance to a new age, they get a free tech. That would also spur their advancement, especially if they then start trading.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.