Old August 5, 2002, 09:22   #1
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Best starting place ever?
Playing a random large map, with (also random) persia I got a start which was silly good. My first two cities had *6* cows total.

As if that wasn't enough, my capital also had wines and iron inside it's radius

(the wine and the two wines directly outside my capitals area were used to feed my third city).

That start would have given me my first win on emperor if it hadn't crashed (no backup) in the 1600's AD I totally dominated the game, with like 6-7 tech lead, about 50% of the total power in the charts..
Old August 5, 2002, 09:54   #2
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Oh, and if you are interested, it was possible to save after the crash, but sadly that doesn't remove the problem..
which is *extreme* lag (the eot blinking takes like 10 minutes to do, for an example). If anyone wishes, I could make the game available for download?
Old August 5, 2002, 10:58   #3
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Imagine something like this happening in multiplayer.
Old August 5, 2002, 11:03   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 01:33
I've had similar starts in the past, but that does sound great. Where those first 2 cities on rivers?

Sometimes I get an amazing starting spot, and think "I should rock this game" only to find out a little while later that the surround land is terrible.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 5, 2002, 11:15   #5
yxhuvud
Chieftain

My capital was on a river, yes..

and the surrounding land was terrible.. I have never seen a continent with more jungle on than the one I started on..

Those three cities were the only nonjungle cities I built before I crushed the iroqeus (sp?) who had only got space for building 2 cities on nonjungle land, using an immortal rushwhich afterwards got turned to the french, who would have been a powerhouse, since they were about the only civ on the whole continent with space for more than a few cities outside jungle.. Not that it helped a lot against immortals, since they didn't build many horsemen despite having the tech for like forever..

Before I ended the initiary war I also crushed the aztecs, who had gotten 3 quite bad city sites, and no space for expansion due to the french..