View Poll Results: Which rules do you want to enable for the game ?
Cooperation victory 15 16.30%
Factions's respawn 17 18.48%
Variable starting point 11 11.96%
Technologic stagnation 3 3.26%
Obtain technology by conquering a city 12 13.04%
Blind research 11 11.96%
Intense rivality 5 5.43%
Unattainable world map 6 6.52%
Unity capsuls near the landing point 8 8.70%
No surprising events 4 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5, 2002, 18:30   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by M@ni@c
If the techsteal rule is off, just build a probe team. Some extra work for the Intelligence Director.
There ya go.
Old August 5, 2002, 19:13   #32
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 07:34
Yee-haw.
Old August 5, 2002, 19:39   #33
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
fair enough. we can play with it off.
Old August 5, 2002, 19:58   #34
Anodyne
Prince

But 10 out of 17 have voted for it!
Old August 5, 2002, 20:00   #35
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:34
Like Tassadar said, we shall re-do the poll with the "yes" and "no" option to be sure of the results. This poll and thread is only for the debate of the rules.
Old August 5, 2002, 20:08   #36
Anodyne
Prince

Old August 5, 2002, 23:27   #37
Juliennew
Warlord

I re-read the thread and I think this poll isn't as bad as we said before. It reflects quite good the citizens choices.

Quote:
So we only enable what gets the majority?
We already have to define this.

Quote:
49 percent of everyone in the AC democracy game vote FOR Cooperative Victory because they like it Well, 51 percent of the people dont like it. Because there is no "no" option, that 51 percent is never heard and, well, cooperative victory passes (probably, depending if Im understanding everything correctly)
No, it won't pass because it didn't obtain the majority of the votes (I think a rule should be taken if 51% or 66% of the people voted for it)

Quote:
What if we want Blind Research AND Cooperative Victory?
You stick the 2 rules as it is a multiple choices poll

The "No" option is equivalent here in not sticking the rule when you vote. So if the rule doesn't obtain 51% or 66% (depending on the rate we will institute), we don't take it. The rules that obtains the majority will be instituted for the game.
We will need to re-do the poll and explain clearly in the first thread the rule of the poll but I don't think we should complicate it with the "yes" and "no" option.
Old August 5, 2002, 23:30   #38
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

faction restart is the only one above 66.66
Old August 6, 2002, 00:54   #39
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 01:34
I oppose techsteal because, with techsteal off, probe teams, HSA, PROBE rating all gain an added importance. Also, on games where I have techsteal on I am always afraid of sharing tech with an ally, because an enemy might steal it. I'd rather avoid that in the demo game.
Old August 6, 2002, 02:55   #40
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

sorry if i sound annoyed....

Quote:
No, it won't pass because it didn't obtain the majority of the votes (I think a rule should be taken if 51% or 66% of the people voted for it)
i said 49 percent of all the people here. so if they all voted yes it would win. not if it got 49 percent of the votes in the poll, i said 49 percent of the people here.

Quote:
You stick the 2 rules as it is a multiple choices poll
i also said something along the lines of "So we only enable what gets the majority?" because i was misunderstanding. i thought he was saying that we only enable what gets the majority of all the votes.

Quote:
The "No" option is equivalent here in not sticking the rule when you vote. So if the rule doesn't obtain 51% or 66% (depending on the rate we will institute), we don't take it. The rules that obtains the majority will be instituted for the game.
We will need to re-do the poll and explain clearly in the first thread the rule of the poll but I don't think we should complicate it with the "yes" and "no" option.
i think we should. i mean, i'd rather have the majority decide who votes then how many votes out of the entire poll. example:

variable starting point has 44 percent with 8 votes (at time of writing). it wont be enabled because it doesnt have 51 percent of the votes. but what if we had a no option? what if that no option got 7 votes? well, the majority of the people who voted FOR THAT OPTION would be heard, and it would pass. who knows, the people who didnt (in this current poll) vote for it could have been 'abstaining' because they didnt care either way.

but i'm tired of continuing this debate, so i'm willing to accept whatever the people want. but in my opinion, it would be more democratic to have a yes or no option.
Old August 6, 2002, 06:06   #41
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

It seems ya all are quite big Podpoppers
Old August 6, 2002, 08:20   #42
Tactical Marine
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I voted fo pods only near crash site, blind reasearch, and steal tech qhn capture base. No real dramtic changes in the game but some that make it a bit more comfortable to play with.
Old August 6, 2002, 10:37   #43
Method
Emperor

No dramatic changes? Blind research is quite dramatic!
Old August 6, 2002, 11:40   #44
Tactical Marine
Chieftain

Well okay but still I think it is nessacry and useful.
Old August 6, 2002, 12:00   #45
Method
Emperor

then we wouldn't need a director of science!
Old August 6, 2002, 12:02   #46
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Blind research is part of the standard rules. Not a dramatic change because it isn't a change.
Old August 6, 2002, 12:18   #47
Tactical Marine
Chieftain

Wait I thought I was voting to turn blind reashearch off... That way we'd be able to pick what techs we want...?
Old August 6, 2002, 12:30   #48
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactical Marine
I voted for...blind reasearch...
nope!
Old August 6, 2002, 12:31   #49
AdamTG02
Prince

It's confusing. I thought a vote for Blind Research meant to leave that box checked (as it is by default). I can see where you're coming from, though.

I like blind research because it seems more realistic (do nations choose what to discover in real life?) and it adds an element of chance. Also, it seems like Explore, Discover, Build, Conquer would be a lot easier to decide in polls than to list every single potential advance.

YMMV, of course.
Old August 6, 2002, 12:38   #50
Tactical Marine
Chieftain

Well whatever, It doesnt really matter to me as I'm not into the whole science thing anyhow. :roll:
Old August 6, 2002, 12:44   #51
Method
Emperor

with blind research on, there would be a lot less chance for people to vote. sure its more realistic, but if we're at war, setting it to conquer might not necessarily get us what we want. say superconductor and superstring theory are available. obviously we want to be able to pick superstring to get chaos, but setting it to conquer might get us superconductor, or even something we don't want at all, like advanced military algorithms!
Old August 6, 2002, 13:22   #52
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I don't agree with the argument that blind research is more realistic. Surely if you invest cash in material science you are more likely to discover Plasma Steel than eg Nonlinear Mathematics. In a history game like civ2 I would agree blind research is more realistic, but SMAC is sci-fi where corporations/ the state know exactly what their research goals are.
Old August 6, 2002, 13:39   #53
Juliennew
Warlord

I will remake the poll with the Yes and No option.
Can someone post the exact vocabulary of the rules in the english version as we will make sure everyone understand for what he votes.

I voted for blind research too but Maniac has a very good point saying it will reduce possibilites of the democratic game and the fun of the game. There will only be a debate on which direction to focus and it isn't interesting at all. And the science advisor would be useless.
Old August 6, 2002, 13:47   #54
Method
Emperor

the rules are:

Higher Goal: Allow transcendance victory
Total War: Allow conquest
Peace in our Time: Allow diplomatic victory
Mine, All Mine: Allow economic victory
Once for all: Allow cooperative victory
Do or Die: Dont restart eliminated players
Look First: Flexible starting locations
Tech Stagnation: Slower research rate
Spoils of War: steal tech when conquer base.
Blind Research: Cannot set precise reseach goals
Intense Rivalry: Oppoents more aggressive
No unity survey: World map not visible
No unity scattering: Unity pods only at landing site
Bell Curve: No random events
Time Warp: accelerated start
Iron Man: Save/restore restricted to exit.
Randomise faction leader personalities
Randomise faction social agendas.
Old August 9, 2002, 02:17   #55
gopher
Warlord

Definitly Blind Research. It will make the voting for new tech SO much more interesting.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old August 9, 2002, 02:58   #56
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by gopher
Definitly Blind Research. It will make the voting for new tech SO much more interesting.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=58132

vote in this poll instead!
Old August 9, 2002, 07:19   #57
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
I agree. A tech for conquering a base?
If we threw a rock at a flying saucer and it crashed, you think we could build more? pft
True we could not build the craft, but we would gain some kind of technology from a study of it's wreckage. That is the theory behind gaining tech when you take a base. A study of their data systems or devices at the base reveal enough information to allow a tech to be discovered quickly.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 9, 2002, 08:20   #58
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

BUt what about the D of science? we do not need him anymore I agree it is cooler to have blind research but for demo game sake we 'need' a D of science
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us