Old August 5, 2002, 23:28   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A question of Vice-Presidents?
We've easily got enough members to support a Vice-Commissioner, who exists to take over if the Commissioner goes AWOL, and runs elections. So, how is this going to work?

Directly elected?
The runner-up for commissioner, as in Civ2? (my preferred choice)
Old August 5, 2002, 23:31   #2
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
i'd say runner up
Old August 5, 2002, 23:38   #3
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:35
I'd also say runner-up. There are already many elections to organize.
Old August 6, 2002, 01:15   #4
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Runner up seems more appropriate.

Just a suggestion to those that don't like the runner up idea. Maybe after the president is chosen, the other candidates could then be used to choose the vice president. But only those that ran for president could be considered.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 6, 2002, 08:23   #5
Tactical Marine
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I disagree I say a seperate election. Some people might want a postion but not the responsiblity of having to play (all the time). Or maybe just have the Military misnister take over in case the commissoner is absent..?
Old August 6, 2002, 08:33   #6
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Runner-Up is the best solution. By doing the runner up know that the person is willing to do the Commisioners job if it is required. Plus by doing the runner up we can stop one party from easily gaining total control.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 6, 2002, 09:01   #7
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:35
there is a problem i have pointed out with the runner-up system. an inferior candidate can be guaranteed a position if only one other person is running for president.
Old August 6, 2002, 10:30   #8
Leland
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
there is a problem i have pointed out with the runner-up system. an inferior candidate can be guaranteed a position if only one other person is running for president.
I think that because of the runner-up also gets something, there's incentive to nominate more than just two candidates, which is good. More diversity. Besides Alpha Talent doesn't have any real powers anyway.
Old August 6, 2002, 15:47   #9
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:35
runner-up!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 6, 2002, 16:27   #10
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

runner up is ok with me.
Old August 6, 2002, 16:37   #11
Anodyne
Prince

Hmm... it seems appropriate, yes. But there are also (aforementioned) problems, which might be solved by a) council electing the VP, or b) another election with the same candidates (without the winner-candidate, of course)
Old August 6, 2002, 16:38   #12
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:35
I choose door number B (what did I win? )
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 6, 2002, 16:45   #13
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

hmm. i like the "b" option.
Old August 7, 2002, 00:03   #14
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

that would be fine with me, but it may add unnecessary time to the election process...
Old August 7, 2002, 06:59   #15
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Will we allow accumulation of the Alpha Talentship with a directorate, at least in this early phase where there aren't that many volunteers for director-positions?
Old August 7, 2002, 07:22   #16
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by M@ni@c
Will we allow accumulation of the Alpha Talentship with a directorate, at least in this early phase where there aren't that many volunteers for director-positions?
i don't get what you mean
but i don't like the sound of it
Old August 7, 2002, 07:39   #17
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

From Darkness' Edge post in the P4 thread I get the impression I have a different definition of runner-up than you do. Could someone please elaborate the options then? I would just suggest that every Commissioner candidate also chooses his Alpha Talent candidate. If a Commissioner candidate is elected, his side-kick Alpha Talent is automatically elected as well. This will ensure that both functions are in the same party to ensure there isn't a sudden change in policy when the Commissioner is temporarily unavailable. As the function of Alpha Talent doesn't have any power unless the Commissioner is unavailable, there isn't any danger that too much power would be given to one party. This idea also prevents another election round has to be held after the official Commissioner elections, which creates needless bureaucracy and a waste of time that could be spend polling, discussing and playing.
Old August 7, 2002, 08:07   #18
Leland
Prince

I am against Commissioner choosing his own Alpha Talent, and I am against having a separate poll. I think that the runner-up, i.e. the guy who gets second most votes in the election, gets to be the Alpha Talent. This assures that

a) The dominant coalition can't get all the positions of the cabinet. It is very likely that if a coalition has enough support to elect a commissioner, they are also able to win every position in the directorate elections. At least the Alpha Talent would represent an alternative, if he is the runner-up.

b) There won't be boring 1-on-1 battles when electing a commissioner. It's much more interesting in my opinion when you can't just select one guy for your coalition, but have to in fact consider whether to nominate two in hopes of getting both the Commissioner's and Alpha Talent's posts.

c) The political parties don't degenerate into a two-party system so easily.

d) Commissioner shouldn't have any real power anyway... he is more like a moderator and the guy who carries out what directors say rather than someone who has great influence in the policy. Nobody likes a dictator.
Old August 7, 2002, 08:20   #19
Maniac

Ok then: Leland's proposal.
Old August 7, 2002, 10:43   #20
Method
Emperor

leland makes some valid points. a poll?
Old August 7, 2002, 13:53   #21
Maniac

I have another proposal concerning Alpha Talent. If there aren't any candidates for a certain directorate, or if Banana gets elected as Director, may I propose that the Alpha Talent takes on that job? That gives the job some use.