Old August 6, 2002, 02:35   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Meet the Centauri Democrats!
We here at the Centauri Democrats believe that democracy is the key to success.
As such, we believe in making sure that democracy and freedom spreads throughout Alpha Centauri, and fending off the evils of fundamentalism and despotism. We support war only if it is the wish of the people.

Who will join me in my quest for democracy?

Note: As of August 7, the Centauri Democrats have joined the Chiron Democratic Coalition, but maintain their status as a standalone party.

Last edited by Darkness' Edge; August 7, 2002 at 02:49.
Old August 6, 2002, 03:14   #2
Leland
Prince

Local Time: 07:36
Romans 1:17-18
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.

The Fundamentalist Party salutes the Centauri Democrats! May your eyes be opened so that you'll see the fallacies of your Godless idolatry.

Last edited by Leland; August 6, 2002 at 03:29.
Old August 6, 2002, 08:59   #3
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Greetings,

I welcome yet another vocie to the frey as we prepare our colony to overcome the obstacles ahead.

We of the Fundamentalist Faction agree with your believe that the people should have a large vocie in government.

We agree that war should be avoid at all costs. However if a war is brought to us we will be sure to win.

What I do not understand is the Evil you claim exists in the Fundamentalist philosophy. Could you please explain? Perhaps it is a simple misunderstanding.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 6, 2002, 09:39   #4
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
*cough* zealot *cough*
Old August 6, 2002, 14:49   #5
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:36
yet an other party! but also this party has some same views as p4. Darkness' Edge maybe we can help eachother
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 6, 2002, 15:00   #6
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
same views except for the destroying fundamentalism and despotism....
Old August 6, 2002, 15:36   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

He said fending off not destroying, so cooperation seems possible to me.
Old August 6, 2002, 16:10   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
i guess.
Old August 6, 2002, 16:33   #9
Anodyne
Prince

the CD is so far quite close to LSD. When I begin my thread we might even discuss about merging together (or at least co-operate).
Old August 6, 2002, 18:14   #10
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
*cough* zealot *cough*
Why does anything having to do with God have to be a zealot? When a person expresses a deep passion for Democracy, in fact to extreme of personal freedom at the cost of society they are not labelled a zealot, they are instead called passionate. When a warrior believes in fighting above all else he is not labeled zealot but rather aggressive. My point here? Zealot is used as a term meant to demean the person it is expressed against while the other terms state some level of quality that is appreciated.

I am amazed that a society that claims freedom for all would mean that only for people that share their exact views. While you see our religious overtones you might have missed our democratic ideals. From the start we have stated that the will of the people is paramount.

If I am to be labelled a zealot so be it, but that at least means I am not a narrow minded bigot. I feel everyone has a right to their views, even views I oppose. I will oppose those views to my dying breath, but I will defend their right to those views to my death as well.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 6, 2002, 18:21   #11
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Crisler

Why does anything having to do with God have to be a zealot? When a person expresses a deep passion for Democracy, in fact to extreme of personal freedom at the cost of society they are not labelled a zealot, they are instead called passionate. When a warrior believes in fighting above all else he is not labeled zealot but rather aggressive. My point here? Zealot is used as a term meant to demean the person it is expressed against while the other terms state some level of quality that is appreciated.
You're right. People who claim freedom above all, anarchists or super-democrats, I also consider zealots, just like you are.

I would suggest the golden middleway in everything. The centre, the balance, nothing radical or extreme.
Old August 6, 2002, 18:36   #12
Anodyne
Prince

Amen.

But of course, there must also be a middleway in the middleway (and middleway in the middleway of middleway, if you ever get that far), which means that you mustn't fall too neutral... hmh, ok, this goes more to the area of philosophing than AC.
Old August 6, 2002, 18:49   #13
Maniac

We said we needed Philosophers and Religious Advisors, so...

Naturally I agree with you. I see the middleway of the middleway like this: have ideals (so don't be neutral), but don't take them so serious you become a fundamentalist.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:26   #14
Anodyne
Prince

Yes, I would allow being "very eager" on some issues, as long as you never lose control and don't let yourself be blinded by your ideals.
Old August 7, 2002, 16:50   #15
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:36
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
In this unknown Planet, manking shall not be ruled by greedy pigs nor zealots.

Pandemoniak,
in Before I met Comrade Planet

You obviously got my vote.