Old August 6, 2002, 14:53   #1
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 05:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Slight Bug?
Playing my first proper (i.e. non-test) game of Civilization 3 (social life had stopped me having enough money to buy a copy until recently- LOL). Playing the Egyptians, stuck on continent with Indians, who I can't help but be nice to, French who pay good cash per turn for my techs (excellent), Japanese who were getting on my nerves and I was gonna eliminate them, but got so far ahead of them in the tech race they wouldn't have stood a chance, and the Babylonians, closest to me on the opposite side of a mountain range on a reasonable-size peninsular with average resources, but should be able to peg them in. Before I'm able to get a line of units to block their path they sneak a few settlers across, (I miss the ZOCs) and establish a few cities in between the mountains. This REALLY annoyed me, so started getting some Knights together and sent them towards Babylon. Meanwhile, I kept pestering Hammy with requests that he cede the city of Sippar to me "or face the consequences". Not a chance. Made him annoyed. So what? Sippar was right next to one of my iron colonies, as soon as it's culture expanded, that colony would be doomed. Just to annoy Hammy some more, I kept increasing the demands. Ur, Nineveh & Sippar. 20000g/turn. World map, furs, wines & 50000g/turn and so on. Until I made this demand:

Every single Babylonian City (about 12-14 of them)
1000000 gold
1000000 gold per turn for 20 turns
Furs for 20 turns
Wines for 20 turns
World Map
Territory Map (a bit pointless, I know)

Hammy said: no, no, no, no, no and the 6th time I demanded it, yes! huh? surely not. He said something like "remember these gifts aren't free" or something along those lines. I was too excited, did that really just happen? Looked at the map, all the cities were mine, and the treasury was full.

!!!!
Bloomin 'eck.

Somehow, they're managing to kkep up the payments. That's gotta be an error and I feel as though I've cheated by exploiting it, so just messing with the game now. Buying a city per turn from the Japanese & French, costing betweeen 65000 & 100000 each.

Hundreds of units have come pouring out of the city of #babylon tho, all heading towards Egypt proper (not the poxy Babylonian cities). Not worried. I am well defended. They wanna ruck, they can have one. LOL.

1000000 gold per turn? That's just ace.

-SiD
Old August 6, 2002, 15:37   #2
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 00:37
Heheheh.......

What version do you have? I think there was a bug like that in the original, out-of-the-box version, but was fixed either in 1.16f or 1.17f.....

Still, that's a really kickin' deal
Old August 6, 2002, 16:19   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes, you definitely need some patching, that bug was fixed long ago. The latest version is 1.29f.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:22   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
LOL... get the patch.

Interesting though, as to the price for cities. That may have been changed too, but it's an order of magnitude indicator.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 6, 2002, 21:04   #5
Thrawn05
King

for a second, I though this was a bug in 1.29f, that would have proved my case that the only thing Firaxians know how to fix bugs is to comment out entire blocks of codes.
Old August 7, 2002, 10:02   #6
Level
Warlord

Local Time: 22:37
When they fixed that bug they also made it so you can olny trade citys for peace, get the patch but you will have to change how you play.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old August 8, 2002, 14:56   #7
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 05:37
Yup. Not patched yet. Have treid downloading the v1.29 patch a few times, but get bored and go out, or to bed. Takes too long. (Will download on a Sat morn- i.e. when there is less internet traffic).

The deal does kick ass, although, I know the Babylonians couldn't afford it, but I was getting paid. Ruined the game.
And it wasn't a cheating AI that ruined it (technically) for a change.

LOL.

-SiD
Old August 8, 2002, 22:14   #8
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ceroomaster
Yup. Not patched yet. Have treid downloading the v1.29 patch a few times, but get bored and go out, or to bed. Takes too long. (Will download on a Sat morn- i.e. when there is less internet traffic).
May I suggest Download Accelator Plus, not only will it download faster, but you can tell it to either Disconnect from the internet, Shutdown the computer or even both if that floats your boat.
Old August 8, 2002, 23:34   #9
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 23:37
why would you WANT to patch that??? perfect thing for when you lose 10 knights to a spearmen.