Old August 6, 2002, 20:39   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
AI colonies
How GREAT is this...

I just rushed a temple in New Beijing... HAHAHAHA!!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	colony.gif
Views:	227
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	21579  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 6, 2002, 20:47   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:39
Lol, silly frogs...

Incidentally, how close is their border to that colony? I've only ever seen the AI put colonies one or two squares from their borders. Looks like this one's a bit further out.
Old August 6, 2002, 20:55   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

2 tiles from the border of Amiens, which is still level one. So even if Joanie rushes a temple, I get the incense.

I haven;t seen many AI colonies before.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 6, 2002, 21:36   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The colony will serve them well for 5 turns.
OTOH, if they rush a LIBRARY, they win the race! More likely, though, that Amiens won't expand for more than 20 turns (unless you take it first ).

Theseus, I thought you weren't expanding in this direction, just putting Joan on a reducing plan! Oh, I get it: the situation changed -- Parisian wonders, I suppose.*

*referencing A further use for Armies thread.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 6, 2002, 23:54   #5
Theseus
Emperor

Err, ummm...

I just couldn't raze both the GL and the Pyramids.

(Pretty cool, btw, that Paris, in the geographic location of Egypt, built those two)

Old August 7, 2002, 11:11   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Pyramids and GL in Paris? Wow, that's a helluva city. But I'd be very, very concerned about a possible flip. Wipe the French scum out ASAP.

I've seen AI colonies many times in war-torn no-man's-land areas. Usually for resources, though, like Saltpeter or something like that. I often use captured workers for that myself, until the borders expand.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 7, 2002, 18:11   #7
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Theseus, Next, rush a Library. that will cut the 'culture increase' time by what, 1, maybe 2 turns.

On AI Colonies: I too, have seen the AI (usually in later game) put colonies out in war-torn nomans land. Why don't they just put a city there? That's what I do. MWAHAA HAA!
Old August 9, 2002, 09:04   #8
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Local Time: 06:39
Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
I've seen quite an increase in AI colony building in 1.29. And some instances were actually more or less smart (the Americans built a colony on horses on the edge of my capital's cultural borders, which wouldn't expand for another 50 turns or so. A city there would've certainly flipped long before that.)
Old August 16, 2002, 23:10   #9
Foolishman
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:39
Hm, I considered this when attacking an AI, they had built colonies around the boarders of cities prodcuing no culture, they wer epersian colonies, and they fro iron and horse, but wait, if I can make them waste workers building new colonies, I can stunt their growth.

One of the many underhanded militaristic advantages that no prideful general would use, but I did.

-Ronald