Local Date: October 31, 2010
who spells Marijuana with an "h"?
Old October 2, 2002, 18:40   #32
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
All city names for the civs in the Extra Pack are spelled in their original language, so I'd say we can do this, where possible, with the barbarians too...
Old October 2, 2002, 19:15   #33
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 06:41
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Well, I'll change it to Diné then, why didn't you tell me earlier?
It has one tiny drawback: a zillion tribes gave themselves the exact same name, in their own language.
Diné means 'the people'.

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJKirk
I have a feeling the people who spell Navajo with an "h" are the same ones who spell Marijuana with an "h." Since the Navajo were "discovered" by the Spanish, that name stuck with them, the only people who would spell it "Navaho" would be the one's who couldn't make the connect between the letter "j" and an "h" noise.
In other words: the English.

The Spanish first called the Navaho 'Querechos', and later the 'Apaches de Navaju' (the Navaho and the Apache have the same Athabascan ancestors).
Old October 2, 2002, 20:24   #34
Explorer579
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:41
I see that the aim of civ3 and future civ games is to simulate the dynamics of civilizations' growth and death. The history of our REAL world was governed by that of nomadic tribes (what we call berberians in civ3). In addition, nomadic tribes attacked at different ages/eras and settled to become dominant civilizations. I mention the Arabs, the moguls, the germanic tribes, etc.

That is why I suggest the following regarding berberians:
1) They should keep popping up throughout the ages in tiles that are under no border.
2) When they attack and occupy a city, they establish a civilization (one of the tribe name you mentioned) and a capital. New players in the mutli-player mode can enter the game and play that small (probably week civilization).
3) These early successes (capturing the first city and settling) should be accompanied by a Golden Age and the prodution of a leader (to give the settling nomadic tribe a chance).

If this is done, civ4 would simulate more realistically Earth's history:
1) civilizations did not all start in 4000 BC; they popped up throught the ages.
2) nomadic berberian tribes utlimately settled and few occupied large territories and/or established a "civilization".
Old November 1, 2002, 10:46   #35
Elowan
Warlord

Local Time: 22:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
Who says they spell it in English?

Actually they call themselves the Diné.

The linguistic roots of "Navaho" are the Tewa words "nava" for cultivated field and "hu" for the mouths of canyons.
Be that as it may - their official communications spell it as 'Navajo'. You forget that the Spanish held sway in that area for some time.

Diné - means 'the People' in any event.
Old November 14, 2002, 04:16   #36
Apep
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:41
Quote:
In other words the English!
Not at all, if anything the only English that would go to that extaent of phonetic clarity is the scourge of people trying to use MS Word, American English!

Could you make a case for Polynesian (Maori) being the 'odd one out' because they don't fit in any of the others. How about Manchu, or Siberian?
Old November 16, 2002, 15:32   #37
teturkhan
Warlord

Local Time: 05:41
Should be Era specific
Its really too bad they are not era specific, Civ2 was good for this and the land and sea units were upgraded through out the game.