Old August 9, 2002, 04:35   #1
delsolsi
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I caught the AI cheating.
Here's the senerio, I'm the Greeks on a huge archapelago map with 16 civs, Germany's the only other civ on my island, and the difficulty level is Regent. I killed Germany's last city in 850BC, that same turn a new city respawned, I forgot to turn respawn AI players off, I hate when they respawn after killing them. Leipzig ends up in nothing but tundra. With in five turns they have a new city, Hamburg. I investigated Leipzig and they are building a warrior and have been for five turns. They also already have two spearmen fortified in their city. I also investigated Hamburg, and they also have a spearman. How did the AI get three spearmen and a settler, and move the settler and one spearman to a new city location in five turns.
Heres some screen shots and the save. Notice Leipzig's pop never goes above one.

http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...Cheat850BC.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...Cheat825BC.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...Cheat800BC.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...Cheat775BC.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...Cheat750BC.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...Cheat730BC.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...eat730BC-2.JPG

EDIT: Fixed links.
Attached Files:

Last edited by delsolsi; August 9, 2002 at 04:48.
Old August 9, 2002, 04:47   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I didn't check your links or your save but it sounds a lot like the problem I had in this thread here. The answer has to do with how the turns are designed and may surprise you.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...77#post1154160
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 9, 2002, 04:51   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:47
Respawning civs get bonuses to keep them competitive. The bonuses are the bigger, the later they respawn. No point to let a civ respawn, if they can be killed instantly again, that's why they receive some defensive units. The bonuses may include even a settler. If you don't like the respawning itself or its consequences, you can turn it off with one mouseclick.
Old August 9, 2002, 05:01   #4
delsolsi
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Respawning civs get bonuses to keep them competitive. The bonuses are the bigger, the later they respawn. No point to let a civ respawn, if they can be killed instantly again, that's why they receive some defensive units. The bonuses may include even a settler. If you don't like the respawning itself or its consequences, you can turn it off with one mouseclick.
I usually turn respawn off, I forgot to this time, so I've only had a couple of civs ever respawn on me. In the past I don't know about defensive units, but they have never had settles as a bonus before. This is only a small sampling to go by. I'm not too worried about it because they got a crappy location so I can just leave them there until I feal like moving some units up there and finishing them off.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:29   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:47
I can't confirm it 100% (without cracking a savegame nobody can), but I see civs usually respawn with 1 or 2 workers, 3 or 4 spearmen (or even riflemen later), and 1 settler, because they usually found another city within 4-5 turns.

You can't call this a cheat though. Or the whole respawning thing would be already a cheat. An exterminated civ does not respawn. The Last of the Mohicans is dead. Period.

Think respawning as the raise of another, new civilization on the place of the old wiped out one. And to make them a bit more competitive, they receive a little bonus. Given the fact, that all other civs usually have at least 4 cities at this point, one extra settler is not much.
Old August 9, 2002, 10:52   #6
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I can't confirm it 100% (without cracking a savegame nobody can), but I see civs usually respawn with 1 or 2 workers, 3 or 4 spearmen (or even riflemen later), and 1 settler, because they usually found another city within 4-5 turns.

You can't call this a cheat though. Or the whole respawning thing would be already a cheat. An exterminated civ does not respawn. The Last of the Mohicans is dead. Period.

Think respawning as the raise of another, new civilization on the place of the old wiped out one. And to make them a bit more competitive, they receive a little bonus. Given the fact, that all other civs usually have at least 4 cities at this point, one extra settler is not much.
What would be nice IMO would be a list of secondary civs with similar attributes. Then on a respawn you dont get the French again, you get some other industrious/religous(?) civ which for some reason has the same UU or something. I dunno just a thought.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 9, 2002, 11:21   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:47
Yes, respawning civs get SEVERAL settlers. I've actually had the civs respawn right next to a scout of mine on occasion and clicked the tile they repawned on before they moved any units. They tend to have 8 defensive units, and 4 to 6 settlers.
Old August 9, 2002, 11:45   #8
Level
Warlord

From this thread at Civfanatics
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B. FIRAXIS
The details on respawning AI civs:

- AI civs can only be respawned once.
- For an AI civ to respawn, there must be an unclaimed, unoccupied tile on the same continent as the one where it was eliminated (by killing it's last settler or last city) and no other civs can have territory or units within a 5-tile radius of this tile. The tile must also allow cities to be built upon it (i.e., no mountains/water using default rules).

The respawned civ loses the following:
- All embassies/spies
- All units
- All colonies

The respawned civ gets the following:
- 1 city
- 3 defensive units
- 1 offensive unit
- 1 settler/start unit 1
- 1 worker/start unit 2
- All bonus starting units based on difficulty level
- Their gold is increased by starting_gold X 10 (i.e., 100 gold using default rules).

Everything else (culture, at war, techs, etc.) remains unchanged.
Athough we found that it keeps all units it has.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old August 9, 2002, 12:06   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
I recently had the Zulu respawn on me around 1500 AD and they came out of their new city with 2 impi, 2 longbowmen and a settler. The new city had 2 impi by the time I attacked it (2 turns from respawn).

It's possible, however, that I miscounted and there was only one longbowman. If so, this matches up perfectly with Firaxis' explanation.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 9, 2002, 13:49   #10
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Several times I have had an AI respawn in a location a long way from my military forces - do I really want to march for 10 turns just to take down that last city or two?

Nah -- it can be more satisfying (to me) and more costly (to the AI) to negotiate a peace treaty the moment the respawning occurs -- by the time a civ reaches the respawn point, they generally have no gold or workers (or other spoils) left to offer up in a feeble effort to sate my hunger for conquest. But by letting them respawn and then making peace . . . well, I can always use an extra worker, 100 gold, and any techs that I don't already have .

For some reason, newly respawned civs seem to be willing to make peace on what one might call egregious terms . . .

Catt