Old August 16, 2002, 22:42   #91
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Deity is a whole different beast. It's almost like playing another game entirely.

My game went relatively well, especially once I started getting promotions! I'm still not sure why, but until I went to war with Greece for the first time I couldn't get any promotions at all.

At first my wars were just capturing the AI's settlers for workers, and trying to whittle down their numbers of Warriors, Archers, and Spearmen/Hoplites, during which time I built up a large force of Legions. I had scouted out the continent early on and started planning for an overseas invasion as well. Until I had taken out the Egyptians I only built 2 cities, 2 barracks, and Warriors/Legions.

Once the Greek settler pairs started crossing my territory I declared war on them as well. Overall I captured about 20 workers this way, though I did lose a bunch of them to an Egyptian War Chariot. Once the war with Greece started, I magically started getting promotions again, and in no time had all my Legions up to elite. The first leader was used to rush the Lighthouse, because my first couple Galleys hadn't found a crossing. I found the crossing to Persia a few turns after building the Lighthouse.

I let the Egyptians hang around a bit longer, just milking their WC's and Archers for more leaders, while fighting a defensive war with Greece trying for the same thing. Once the next leader was generated I built an army, and captured the last couple of Egyptian cities.

The Greek cities were tough to crack. I had 10 catapults, but they barely ever hit anything and were a complete waste. If I had it to do over again, I would have sent my Legions over to Persia, and waited to hit Greece until I had Knights. It took till then to really gain any ground against Greek Hoplites anyways. I did take a few Greek cities, but they flipped back relatively quickly, so I took them again and razed/rebuilt.

I sent over a stack of Legions to try and take out the Persian Iron sources before Chivalry was available, but had to withdraw them after the first wave of Immortals had hit. The Great Lighthouse was so powerful on this map, my Galleys could wait out in the sea to rescue/land troops in complete safety.

I built up a pretty large Horseman force in anticipation for Knights, sent over all my Legions (except the Army) to establish a landing in Persia, and then wiped out Greece and Persia with Knights.

Finished up the conquest by 700AD.
Attached Files:

Last edited by Aeson; August 16, 2002 at 22:49.
Old August 16, 2002, 23:18   #92
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
MOFO!!!

I bow in respect to you...

I have been waiting (dying) to post my game, pending 1337's performance.

I did more or less the same as you, with a Knight domination victory in 950AD (bastard Xerxes slipped in a Settler on my last turn).

A little different, I just went all out on Legions... Egypt as a whole, and then Greece... your basic rush strat, again and again. Didn't bother with Cats, and I'm surprised you did; Legions are soooo strong. Different approach re cities too, as I slammed out 8 towns in the peninsula, with a Maginot line, while pumping out Warriors for the upgrade and attack on Egypt. I had no probs with Greece... I think I had 40 Legions at that point.

Fun game, in a way, although it lacked balance. Sort of goes to the problem with HSS's stance in the big thread today. This is not a wargame.

My first game (since my first) on deity... it seems to me the trick is to gain parity, and then go to war.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1337.gif
Views:	210
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	22334  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 17, 2002, 00:04   #93
Aeson
Emperor

Every once in a while I have to build Catapults, or try Communism, or something like that. I wasn't in a hurry to finish off the Greeks, as they were in hand and the Persians conquest would come last anyways. So I just tried to conserve my Legions as best I could in the Greek conquest. Catapults just didn't work like I seem to remember!

As I said earlier in the thread, Tiny/Pangaea maps really aren't a good test of skill, so I don't think much weight should be put in the different dates. If one of the AI had built the Lighthouse before I got a leader it would have taken a couple hundred extra years at least to finish. The Lighthouse/Astronomy being the only real restriction in conquest date on this map.
Old August 17, 2002, 03:03   #94
Objectivist
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:50
Time Factor
Actually Perisa getting the Lighthouse and my lack of early Leader generation is why my game took so long. If i had managed to get the lighthouse this game would have been over SIGNIFIGANTLY faster.
Old August 17, 2002, 14:36   #95
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:50
Excellent job, Theseus and Aeson! Wow, you finished early! Ah, and greetings from the flood. I didn't need a caravel, but my trip to the drowned city was an adventure though.

Here's my story: I focused on luxuries and succeeded to build 4 good cities with 2 luxuries. Built only warriors and settlers, and used the excess warriors as screen to block the AI settlers. Soon after I traded for iron working, I upgraded all my warriors to legions and attacked Egypt. It was easy, because they were already at war with Greece. I took 2 cities with a third luxury and horses, and left Egypt with only its capital. This time, the Persians sailed over. They had built the Lighthouse. I switched some cities from legions to horsemen. I had planned to attack Greece with combined forces, horsemen to soften up the hoplites and legions to finish them. I failed with my plan, because the Greeks sneak attacked me with a horde of swordsmen. Fortunately I had a bunch of legions nearby. I sent 2 elite legions towards the Greek iron, and let the rest defend. One of my legionaries made it to the iron, pillaged the road and fortified on it. From now on, the Greeks sent only archers. That was helpful, although they got quite annoying with their 12-shield archers. I signed an alliance with Egypt against Greece, not because I needed help, but because I didn't want the Greeks to come through Egyptian territory. One of my legions made me a leader (and was promoted to my Praetorian Guard), who instantly built the Great Library. The next few turns I got pushed up till chivalry. I upgraded a bunch of horsemen to knights, razed 2 greek cities and took a third (with my 4th luxury). My "2nd Praetorian Guard" gave me a leader, who became my FP on a flipsafe place in Ex-Greece Then I made peace with Alexander, breaking my alliance with Egypt. That didn't matter much, because I finished them off in a few turns. After my peace treaty (22gpt, helped researching towards MilTrad) with Greece expired, I attacked their 3 remaining cities with knights. They had musketmen (without having saltpeter). Xerxes must have sold it. So I attacked their 2 harbors first and then united the 2 task forces around Athens. This city was though! 5 or 6 defenders (2 musketmen and the rest hoplites). I lost a lot of knights, but my "Sir Lancelot" gave me my 3rd leader, who became Sun Tzu's in Athens, which I took.

Only Xerxes remained. I had prebuilt 8 caravels, I shipped 24 knights over and invaded Persia. I razed 3 cities and pillaged all saltpeter resources. Then the Immortals came over me and killed almost all my knights. Meanwhile, I had researched Military tradition, and sent the 2nd wave, 18 cavalries. Xerxes had already rebuilt his cities, and I found him in the industial age. He had instantly upgraded all defenders to riflemen, and succeeded to build a few cavalries. Nevertheless, I fairly quick razed all newly built cities, his capital and another city. The remainder of my forces waited for the 3rd wave, fortified on the chokepoint in a fortress Xerxes had built. Soon after the reinforcements arrived, I attacked and razed the rest of the Persian cities. Damn, they respawned with 2 settlers and a full load of deity bonus units, grrrr. I sent my injured forces over the continent, to screen it and don't let Xerxes respawn again. The rest healed and attacked. I rode around the swarming riflemen, headed to the last city and razed it. Game over, conquest victory 1090 AD.

I don't like these tiny bloodlust games anyway. They are dull. All I built were temples, barracks (until I had Sun Tzu's) and units. Lots of units. Not fun. May be I'm too much builder.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	caesar.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	22418  

Last edited by Harovan; August 17, 2002 at 15:12.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:02   #96
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I agree, this is not really what Civ is about.

I did learn something interesting though... very early, I bought Bronze Working and beelined for Iron Working. I decided not to distract the mission with Ceremonial Burial, either through gold or research. Hooking up 2 luxuries did the trick though, and I was able to build up to 8 cities and a mass upgrade before I even started on temples.

I overcame two issues... one, happiness, from the luxuries. Two, using smart placement of towns, I was able to get around the lack of culture (thus no level 2 cities except Rome) and make good use of the available territory.

So thanks, 1337, for putting us into a narrowly-focused game... that sometimes help clarify certain subtleties. But I wouldn't call this kind of challenge 'elite' by any means.

And on top of all that... I didn't have a single Army!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 17, 2002, 20:28   #97
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

And on top of all that... I didn't have a single Army!!
I have one army. And I'm not even through the game yet. But we are all waiting fom Mr Leet. 2 much 7@1k & 2 L177l3 $´@c710n for my taste. What did that guy smoke anyway?

King? What King? FUC King!
Old August 18, 2002, 23:00   #98
Theseus
Emperor

Obscure reference:

"Warriors... come out and pla-ay. Warriors, come out and PLA-AY. WARRIORS, come out and PLAA-AAYY!!!"

Clink clink.

Old August 19, 2002, 13:58   #99
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 21:50
Old August 19, 2002, 19:25   #100
Tuberski

Local Time: 00:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Obscure reference:

"Warriors... come out and pla-ay. Warriors, come out and PLA-AY. WARRIORS, come out and PLAA-AAYY!!!"

Clink clink.
"It wasn't us! It was them! It was the Warriors!"

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 20, 2002, 10:34   #101
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

isn't this about a L.A gang movie???

It does ring a bell anyhow, but I can't remember just what
Old August 20, 2002, 11:47   #102
ZenCTP
Settler

Movie reference
The movie is "The Warriors" from 1979. Here's the IMDB linkThe Warriors.

I remember watching this on TV...eeek, I feel old .
Old August 20, 2002, 12:06   #103
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

yep, that's the one I had in mind (*****'s , being in a gang, acting 'cool', wild etc... and the whole movie they're 'running away' (slightly less obscure but slightly wrong reference )

btw: WHERE is LEET!!!!
I want to see his save

This is the first thread I check when I log on.For several days now, and every day!! Where are you!!!!

EDIT: hey, What gives???: cat (spelled differently is auto-censorerd???
what for?? (yes i know the slang etc....), still, nothing wrong with 'cats', is there?

Last edited by alva; August 20, 2002 at 13:27.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:25   #104
Theseus
Emperor

As I said in another thread (referencing the movie), 1337 thought he was bringing a gun to a knife fight... and got stabbed. And beat up on the beach with hockey sticks.

It was an interesting game though... as previously referenced, it's not really what Civ is about, but damn! it shows you the power of Legions.

Old August 20, 2002, 18:31   #105
Flight
Warlord

4|\|y1 \/\/#0 74lk5 l1k3 7#47 is pro848ly 74king th3 p155, t#0 d0ing i7 th47 muc# i5 j|_|57 54D

nice game guys, i dare not go near deity
Old August 20, 2002, 19:30   #106
Tuberski

Local Time: 00:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Flight
4|\|y1 \/\/#0 74lk5 l1k3 7#47 is pro848ly 74king th3 p155, t#0 d0ing i7 th47 muc# i5 j|_|57 54D

nice game guys, i dare not go near deity

Damn, reading that makes me feel l'm in the first grade and learning to read....
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 21, 2002, 03:26   #107
Barchan
Warlord

1#$l cupcake tr!@ 9(87%%f34e wheel &^ 7g kiwi 33@?

Q233%67 mug 5tw%78 bumblebee mm&6%()!!!

I-Iz-1337 *7&#4 bunny rabbit 733$fzx tipsy k347^!* =6$#bHn!!!

Seriously, though, this game was no walk in the park. My first crack at it was a bit of a failure in that I didn't take to the seas quickly enough and by the time I got to Persia, they had 12-pop cities defended by Musketmen. More than a match for my poor Legions and Horsemen. And, natch, my Armies couldn't make the trip on Galleys, so I was pretty much screwed. Next time out I built the navy sooner and had better results, but nothing to get all excited and post about....
Old August 21, 2002, 08:50   #108
Flight
Warlord

lol i actually tried to read that and it took a few seconds to realise it was just crap
Old August 21, 2002, 13:52   #109
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

I iz sti11z p1ayingz th33 gam33z I iz r0xx0ringz th33 AIz d00dz. Myz 1337 133gionz iz ki11ingz th33 gr33kz. I shoulz b33 finishzed s00nz j00 wi11z s33 h0w 1337z I iZ.

BTW finishinz b33f0r3z 1000ADz iz imp0zzib13z. On133z ch33tingz couldz get j00 such faztz finishez.
Old August 21, 2002, 14:53   #110
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 21:50
hahahaha. And how do you cheat?
Old August 21, 2002, 15:33   #111
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Finishinz b33f0r3z 1000ADz iz imp0zzib13z if j00 arz n00b33z. If j00 arz 133t regularz of Pol33z stratz forumz, itz 33z33.

Mayb33z j00 shouldz r33dz some stratz thredz h33r and then c0mz bakz w1th an0therz cha11engez.

Old August 21, 2002, 16:53   #112
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:50
I'm sooo happy I finished after 1000AD. I was afraid to get busted as cheater. Theseus and Aeson, shame on you! Btw, I expected that it would turn this way. Some people are so bad losers...
Old August 21, 2002, 17:03   #113
Theseus
Emperor

alexman, LOL

1337, LEGIONS get fast finishes!!

Old August 21, 2002, 17:07   #114
Aeson
Emperor

Yes we cheated. We used Knights.
Old August 22, 2002, 16:51   #115
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

m33 1337 h4xx0rz
M33 finishzed th33 gam33z, d0minationz victor33z 370Adz. I r0xx0r3d th33 AIz! 1337 133gionz kickezed th3 azzez 0f 33gyptz andz gr33cez. I iZ th33 1337ezt, t00 1337 4 j00!
Old August 22, 2002, 17:22   #116
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

H1,

N07 1337 33n0ugh f0r conqueztz v1kt0r33?

p0stz a sav(3)

havz a n1ce da33z
Old August 22, 2002, 17:34   #117
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

H33r iz th33 sav3z:
Attached Files:
Old August 22, 2002, 17:42   #118
alexman

Are you sure you attached the right save?
Maybe that was BEFORE you cheated?

Because it doesn't look like you're r0xxinz the AIz very much from that save!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1ee7.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	22759  
Old August 22, 2002, 17:47   #119
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

d00d, th33 gamez iz overz, I iZ dominatinz th33 AIz. Gr33c3z wontz lazt muchz longerz againzt m33z.
Old August 22, 2002, 17:50   #120
alexman

Well done! You are too 1337 for us.