Old August 10, 2002, 04:24   #1
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Advice: Small change with culture flip mechanic
Core of the problem:
It's realy not a flip itself, it's lost units during that flip (and that can be lot of units). Sometimes it kills suspension of disbelief if you lose so many unit just for "culture flkup".

A twaek:
Instead of killing all units, flip should kill 3-5 units (should depend from several factors, like city population).
If city had less then 3-5 units, it should be same as before (no change).
If it had more units, it should lose just 3-5 units and NOT flip.
You should get message that there is a rebbelion in city and that your generals don't know how long they can hold out.

Of course, every next turn you'll lose another group of 3-5 units, exept if you put in even higher number of military units (and thus prevent flip), or pull remaing troops out of city (in that case city flips, but you keep some forces).
Newly fliped city should then get several free units to prevent quick retake.
(and units you pulled out, should suffer from ZOC bombarding while pulliong out)

P.S.
If Firaxis implements something similar to this, I would find culture flips to be enjoyable part of Civ3 game.
For know, they are just irritation (losing 10 units and an army due to flip).
Old August 10, 2002, 11:30   #2
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:51
I like this idea, I can imagnine your troops fleeing an angry populace forced to retreat to your side of the border.

The surviving units should possibly be damaged, maybe in the red, and would need to go back to base ande heal up before any offensive action.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 10, 2002, 11:59   #3
Zanthis
Settler

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think that resistance for captured citys should still be dependent on culture, but last alot longer. Rebelling citizens should have a % chance each turn of damaging garrisoned military units or destroying military and cultural improvments. I think this would more accuratly represent the difficulty of occuping foreign citys, especialy those of people with a strong sense of nationality and pride (in games terms "culture").

Through out history, conquering territory has often been easier than keeping it (just ask Alexander the great, the Romans, the Huns, the Monguls, Neopolian, the British, the Nazis, the Soviets, etc, etc.....) In the game however, the opposite is true.
Old August 10, 2002, 12:16   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Good idea, but I think intead of wiping out units they should be put on tiles adjacent to the city with 1 hit point. The city should have some defensive unit(s) in it representing the resisters who through you out. Not a great chance of taking it back if your units only have one hit point, and odds are you'd just make the "resister" units Elites!
Old August 10, 2002, 12:19   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
This would definately be an improvement over the current culture flipping setup.
Old August 10, 2002, 12:42   #6
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Good idea, but I think intead of wiping out units they should be put on tiles adjacent to the city with 1 hit point. The city should have some defensive unit(s) in it representing the resisters who through you out. Not a great chance of taking it back if your units only have one hit point, and odds are you'd just make the "resister" units Elites!
Having several unit which would die instantly in first turn s still needed, to reflect very easy "rebellion" victories if city was guarded with just 2-4 units (instant flip).

All other units should have chance to stay alive.
Old August 10, 2002, 15:43   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 05:51
i'd just like the units to flee from the city with 1hp
Old August 10, 2002, 19:52   #8
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
I like this idea, I can imagnine your troops fleeing an angry populace forced to retreat to your side of the border.

The surviving units should possibly be damaged, maybe in the red, and would need to go back to base ande heal up before any offensive action.
Yes, yes.

I've said it for months. Disappearing garrisons is ridiculous and a mockery of history. If Firaxis INSISTS upon forcing this flipping stuff on us the least they can do is have a system where units are EJECTED, with damage, AND are not alowed to attack for a few turns.

This would eliminate the concern of the ejected garrison marching right back in.

But since Firaxis has said NO MORE PATCHES, and since they refuse to do anything about it in PTW, I won't be getting PTW.
Old August 10, 2002, 22:17   #9
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Is that a promise?
Old August 10, 2002, 23:13   #10
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:51
Civ3 could do with a partisan unit, prehaps when a city tries to flip it generates a bunch of partisans (maybe 1-2 per pop) that immediately attack the city, if the garrison survive you still have the city, if they lose the winning partisan and all remaining ones move in and garrison the city.
Old August 11, 2002, 05:09   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ummm... I'm convinced that overwhelming military force should prevent flips entirely.

I lose 3 units. I disband the city. No more flip. I'm a bastard.

In any case, I haven't had a flip away from me since I mastered the intricacies of it. And I won't, I hope.
Old August 11, 2002, 05:22   #12
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
This would definately be an improvement over the current culture flipping setup.
ANYTHING would be better than the current mess, especially when people start doing "historical" scenarios. You want all your tanks in a WW II scenario to vanish if Dresden flips back to Germany??
Old August 11, 2002, 12:16   #13
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 06:51
It'd be best IMHO if culture-flipping could be an option at setup.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:17   #14
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

ANYTHING would be better than the current mess, especially when people start doing "historical" scenarios. You want all your tanks in a WW II scenario to vanish if Dresden flips back to Germany??
Now, if there were just 3-4 Tanks, current model would do well.
But in case of 10 Tanks, current model BREAKS.

It's just not fun anymore.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:41   #15
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
But since Firaxis has said NO MORE PATCHES, and since they refuse to do anything about it in PTW, I won't be getting PTW.
You're sure about the second one? I can vaguely recall Jeff Morris saying that unit ejecting was on Firaxis' PtW wishlist, although only with medium priority.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW