Old August 10, 2002, 12:25   #1
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PTW standalone?
will PTW be a standalone game or does it require a civ3vanilla-installation?
Old August 10, 2002, 12:54   #2
Caliban
Prince

You do not really want an answer to this...
Old August 10, 2002, 12:59   #3
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:51
Hehe, he means NO, you have to buy the orignal game first! Thats Fraxis nicking your money!
Old August 10, 2002, 13:07   #4
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rob.derosa
Hehe, he means NO, you have to buy the orignal game first! Thats Fraxis nicking your money!
i've got an original version, but some multi-player-fans won't want to buy two things, just for one game.

it would be healthier for infogrames to sell a standalone version for just slightly more... after all, all civ-fans (single player, that is), already bought civ3
Old August 10, 2002, 13:14   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

it won't be too long until the original and expansion appear in some kind of "Civ3 Gold" or "Civ3 Complete" box
... that will mean you'll only have to buy one box, although the price will be slightly higher.
Old August 10, 2002, 15:23   #6
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
well, see, the nature of an expansion pack is...

(hw:c is the exception to a rule)
Old August 10, 2002, 15:35   #7
JtheJackal
Warlord

It would be worst to sell it stand alone! Then it would be like buying the whole game over again just for extras. (Sim City 3000/Sim CIty 3000 Unlimited)
Old August 10, 2002, 15:45   #8
HazieDaVampire
King

i love homeworld cataclysm! BEST EVER!
Old August 10, 2002, 17:35   #9
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
well, see, the nature of an expansion pack is...

(hw:c is the exception to a rule)
And Half-Life: Blue Shift.

And CivII Test of Time comes to mind.....I'm pretty sure it was similar to the mentioned SimCity 3000 situation...
Old August 11, 2002, 05:42   #10
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by rob.derosa
Yea, typical.

HEY FIRAXIS GUYS. . . how about doing a little coding for a change and selling a PTW Deluxe (or some other name)? You can give those who want it the option of getting FIXED all the stuff we hate, such as Flipping borders and cities; crazy levels of settler expansion; lame naval warfare and useless privateers and subs;
bombers with a realistic range (above '8'); less AI cheating; and all the other things some of us despise.
That includes an end to the stupid UNLIMITED MP's on RR's, and not being able to use unpillaged roads when invading.

Even I'd pay for it.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:19   #11
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JtheJackal
It would be worst to sell it stand alone! Then it would be like buying the whole game over again just for extras. (Sim City 3000/Sim CIty 3000 Unlimited)
true! if XP costs ~35$ and vanilla ~50$... and the XP is fully working, who would buy the original version?

but 35$ is a bit much for having the same game with a few new -not very revolutionary- features and just 8 new civs.
i'm mainly looking forward to the diplomacy editing for scenarios...
Old August 11, 2002, 10:54   #12
Q Classic
Emperor

SC3K:U wasn't an expansion pack per se.

and HL:BS is again, an exception to the rule. although, i have it, i don't think you can actually install it without the HL game on your HD... even if it does run off its own cd.
Old October 9, 2002, 19:42   #13
sabrewolf
Emperor

fyi: PTW is NOT standalone, if i understood the CFC-chat correctly. but there's going to be some kind of cheaper civ3-edition for people who don't want to but civ3, but want PTW

.... of did i get it wrong?
Old October 10, 2002, 12:30   #14
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
SC3K:U wasn't an expansion pack per se.
That's his point if you wanted the new building sets you had to buy the game all over again.

Quote:
and HL:BS is again, an exception to the rule. although, i have it, i don't think you can actually install it without the HL game on your HD... even if it does run off its own cd.
Blue Shift is a stand alone game, you can also get it for PS2 (and maybe dreamcast, did that one ever come out?).
Old October 10, 2002, 12:48   #15
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 06:51
I would pay MUCHO MUCHO MUCHO MUCHO money for only 2 things, be it add on, stand alone PTW supergold, whatever:

DIPLOMACY must be complex, huge, masterful, articulate, massive, every-treaty-type-in-existance, all including multidimensional, UN incorperating, foreignpolicy slut mongering.

GOVERNMENTS must be wide, varying complicated, controlable, SMAClike, parliament tweaking, senate robbing, all-philosophies-under-the-sun, wide spectrum, propagande using, people voting (or not), foreign loathing, poiltical beasts.

If they could do that, I would pay more money then you've ever seen before. I'd make FIRAXIS roll in their own cash. There wouldn't be a cent left on this earth not being funeled into their big thick juicy hairy dripping wallets...
Old October 10, 2002, 12:54   #16
Tilemacho
Prince

Hmmm, that is a little dissapointing...
I only want to MP (PBEM) and I realy don't see the reason I have to pay twice....
I didn't buy the game last year expecting the MP version to come up..... well that buisness I guess
Old October 10, 2002, 12:58   #17
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

In a couple of months it's likely you'll be able to get Civ3+PtW in the same box for about the price Civ3 was when it came out. Game stores are always running deals like that a few months after an expansion pack comes out.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:15   #18
sabrewolf
Emperor

FrustratedPoet, that sound's right.

and in two years you'll get the civ-pack (civ1, civ2, civ2xp, civ3, civ3xp/ptw) for the price of civ3 a year ago.

and in 8 years, you can buy these in a 40$-"oldies but goldies"-collection
Old October 10, 2002, 14:14   #19
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 01:51
The Game of the Year edition has both PtW and Civ 3 bundled together for $40, IIRC.
Old October 10, 2002, 14:19   #20
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 06:51
Really? I thought that the Game of the Year Edition was simply Civ3 + patches with a scenario or two.
Old October 10, 2002, 15:10   #21
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

News item from StrategyPlanet

Quote:
Civ3 Game of The Year Announced
Seaman | 9/7/2002 | 9:48 PST

Yesterday the 'Game Of The Year' edition of Civ3 was annnounced by infogrames. This version is suppose to ship at the same time as the upcoming Play The World Expansion in october. This version will have three new game maps, a keyboard command card, a making-of video, and an excerpt from Prima's official strategy guide for the game and will also ship with the latest patch(version 1.29f). Civilization III was released on 2001 and won several awards, including best single-player strategy game of the year by Gamespot.

Source:Gamespot
Looks like Machiavelli is right on this one. The Game-of-the-Year edition will ship at the same time as PtW, but it's just the 1.29f version with a few scenarios and some interesting (but probably lame - remember the 'designer's notes'? ) extra goodies.
Old October 10, 2002, 23:22   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Well imagine that.

Glad I bought the thing already.
Old October 11, 2002, 00:15   #23
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Yea, typical.

HEY FIRAXIS GUYS. . . how about doing a little coding for a change and selling a PTW Deluxe (or some other name)? You can give those who want it the option of getting FIXED all the stuff we hate, such as Flipping borders and cities; crazy levels of settler expansion; lame naval warfare and useless privateers and subs;
bombers with a realistic range (above '8'); less AI cheating; and all the other things some of us despise.
That includes an end to the stupid UNLIMITED MP's on RR's, and not being able to use unpillaged roads when invading.

Even I'd pay for it.
A lot of what you mentioned ar ebeing implemented in PTW.. as well as tweaking existing units, so maybe that will satisfy your appetite for useless unit gone 'gooder'.
Old October 11, 2002, 00:17   #24
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch

And Half-Life: Blue Shift.

And CivII Test of Time comes to mind.....I'm pretty sure it was similar to the mentioned SimCity 3000 situation...
remember, valve was so cool enough to give rebate to opposing force owners for getting jipped(?) since blue shift included opposing force as well.

Mail in your original civ3 for $15 on PTW standalone?

not a bad idea id say.
Old October 11, 2002, 04:18   #25
Jon Shafer

In any case, Infogrames is in charge of that, not Firaxis. They're probably trying to compensate for all those patches released for free...