Old August 11, 2002, 00:00   #1
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
~Candidates for Director of Science Debate~
Seeing as we have recently elected our first Commissioner, I thought it appropriate to being the official campaigns for the Directories. I have already once before posted my speech on my policies if I were to be elected as Director of Science and Technology, but to make it more convenient for everyone I shall repost it here again.

Quote:
Fellow citizens, science is the key to development and to self-improvement, it is because of this belief which I have that I desire to serve you all as Director of Science and Technology. I do not believe that partisan politics should play a part in candidacy for this post since all candidates do share the same central beliefs about the role of knowledge in society, but rather than spout rhetoric I will outline my direct policy which I hope to implement in the Director of Science and Technology, as well as my policy in relation to other departments. My hope is that I will get elected to the post based not on party lines, but rather on policy.

I intend to be in touch with the public on all issues, and therefore will run polls to determine the public’s stance on what knowledge and technologies we should pursue. It is my hope to serve all the people and not just the majority, thus I will make it a policy to ask all citizens when voting to state their reasons behind their opinion in order to provide me with as much information as possible in order to be able to serve your needs better.

Likewise, just as I intend to take into account the opinions on the public, circumstances should also play a role in determining what technologies we require. It will be a policy of my administration to keep a close eye on all matters in order to have the necessary information to make the proper decisions. Though I’m certain those dedicated to research such as myself would like nothing more than for us to pursue pure knowledge at all times, but this simply isn’t feasible, we must take into account matters such as if we are involved in a conflict, population growth rate, the needs of the citizens, and so forth.

And finally before I outline my initial policy on the course of research which we should follow in the coming years on Planet, I wish to make the stance of my administration clear on our dealings with other departments. I will personally push for other departments to keep in mind the vital role of science; and as such it will be the policy of this administration to seek the contraction of labs and various institutions which benefit research, not only for the sake of research itself, but also to improve the lives of our citizens as well. We will also keep a close eye on the Directory of Social Engineering to make certain that our department receives proper allocations in order to be able to meet the needs and desires of the people. Our relationship with the Directory of Foreign Affairs will be a close on, and we shall take an active role when it comes to exchange of knowledge with other factions, for trade not only benefit our relations with other factions but it also frees up our own resources and enables this department to speed up our research. As for the matter of giving technologies away to other factions, we believe it best to seek compensation in the form of energy credits if new technologies cannot be obtained, but our stance on selling technology to other factions is more strict, we should not be making our rivals stronger, nevertheless I realize that Foreign Affairs is a delicate matter and so such decisions should be left in the hands of the Directory of Foreign Affairs.

And now let us move on to the specifics…

In the coming years, as I mentioned, it is vital for us to develop our infrastructure. Therefore my plans include concentrating our research efforts on the sphere of Biogenetics; we in turn from this receive an invaluable facility of Recycling Tanks (proving for an increase in nutrients, minerals, and energy at a based) as well as the Human Genome Project. Though my reasons for choosing this path are not only due to the facilities provided for, but also Biogenetics opens the doors to the Secrets of the Human Brain which will only further hasten our scientific development. Centauri Ecology would be most appropriate to research afterwards seeing as it provides us with Formers and thus the possibility to being the terraforming of Planet. After which I believe that research into Social Psych would prove invaluable for it provides us with Recreations Commons for all citizens thus improving their lives, but more importantly it will enables us to complete research into Secrets of the Human Brain leading to other scientific breakthroughs. Social Psych also opens the doors to Ethical Calculus, allowing us to choose Democracy under Social Engineering. But I’m getting ahead of myself; this proposal is just a draft which will be revised pending input from citizens.

It is my hope that I have given you a clear understanding on what I stand for, and my vision for Planet.

Thank you for your time.

Academician Voltaire;
Election Speech
I think it now best to open the floor for questions about my policies, as well as anything else you might be curious about. And I invite my competition wishes to engage in a debate about any issue related to my policy, I would welcome this greatly for I sincerely believe that debate is a key principle of a proper democracy for it improves the publics understanding on issues.

Sincerely,
Academician Voltaire

Last edited by Voltaire; August 11, 2002 at 15:34.
Old August 11, 2002, 05:03   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: ~Academician Voltaire for Director of Science~
Just a few small questions...

You say that you will "push for other departments to keep in mind the vital role of science; and as such it will be the policy of this administration to seek contraction of labs and various institutions which benefit reearch, not only for the sake of research itself, but also to improve the lives of our citizens as well". What is your opinion on Science if and when we get into a war and can no longer support science services?

You also say that you intend to research biogenetics first. Do we not already have biogenetics as a starting tech for the peacekeepers?

You also say that you wish to research Secrets of the Human Brain. What priority is this? I would not believe a high one as you are putting it aside for Centauri Ecology, nonetheless I would still like to know.

Also, please do get ahead of yourself. This is a major consideration in at least my vote for science advisor. I like a person who can plan waay ahead, whom has an adaptive plan.

Thanks for your time
Old August 11, 2002, 06:13   #3
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:53
Quote:
You also say that you intend to research biogenetics first. Do we not already have biogenetics as a starting tech for the peacekeepers?

Another question:
If i'm not mistaken your party opposes atrocities, then how do you feel about researching High Energy Chemistry?
You don't control if it's used or not, would you still research it if the Director of Defense doesn't oppose atrocities?

High Energy Chemistry gives:
Plasma Steel Armor (D3)
Nerve Gas Pods (Atrocity, +50 offense)
Leads to:
Advanced Sub Atomic Theory
Synthetic Fossil Fuels
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 11, 2002, 07:51   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

AHA here i can post my question

I am running for DoOP/DoD and I want to know what every candidate for DoS will do for the military espaissly synmetal armor (d2) , laser (A2) and the rover (*/*/2) ...?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 11, 2002, 08:04   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Was the military even mentioned in the speech? We depend heavly on the DOS to supply us with the tools we need to defend the colony. Infrastructure is nice but it don't do us any good when the enemy blows it up. I will agree that we sould be picky about trading techs when the techs included means transfers of military technology.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 11, 2002, 08:11   #6
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

I agree with Sprayber here

btw have u seen the thread I started on defense candidates? I want to know what you doctrine will be?
Old August 11, 2002, 09:00   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Guys, whoever gets elected as Director of Science, I want you to know that if I would be D of T&C I will not accept any other tech than Centauri Ecology to be researched first. Afterwards there are no more super-important techs for the T&C directorate for a while.
Old August 11, 2002, 09:15   #8
DeathByTheSword
King

I agree with that but after that there are many paths to choose from and I want to know what the candidates will do for the military.....
Old August 11, 2002, 10:39   #9
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:53
Voltaire, can i post my speech here, or do you want me to make another thread?

for now, here's the link
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=6

Last edited by Method; August 11, 2002 at 10:46.
Old August 11, 2002, 15:33   #10
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Ok now that I’m back let’s see if I can answer all the questions here. I’ll do it one at a time.

Quote:
You say that you will "push for other departments to keep in mind the vital role of science; and as such it will be the policy of this administration to seek contraction of labs and various institutions which benefit reearch, not only for the sake of research itself, but also to improve the lives of our citizens as well". What is your opinion on Science if and when we get into a war and can no longer support science services?
Good question, and as I stated we also have to keep in mind the circumstances of our situation; if we do find ourselves in a war I would still push that we place a high importance on scientific research, but keeping in mind that seeing as we are in war the research priorities during such a time should switch to Conquer. I also believe that we should be prepared for a war and not caught of guard, which is why I support that we develop small highly advanced elite military forces intended for defense in case we do find ourselves in a war; this of course involved researching military advances alongside everything else, but I would in times of peace keep a higher priority of Discover, Build, Explore (in no particular order of importance).

Quote:
Yes, you are completely right, it slipped my mind seeing as I don’t play the Peacekeepers often. In that case Centauri Ecology would be the primary goal.

Quote:
You also say that you wish to research Secrets of the Human Brain. What priority is this? I would not believe a high one as you are putting it aside for Centauri Ecology, nonetheless I would still like to know.
I do consider Secrets of the Human Brain of the most pivotal importance; but nonetheless it is also crucial for us to develop Formers ASAP in order to start the terraforming process as soon as we are able to. It is in the interest of everyone for us to increase mineral, food, and energy production.

Quote:
Also, please do get ahead of yourself. This is a major consideration in at least my vote for science advisor. I like a person who can plan waay ahead, whom has an adaptive plan.
LOL, well in that case I’ll start working on a plan right now which goes beyond what I’ve already outlined.

Quote:
If i'm not mistaken your party opposes atrocities, then how do you feel about researching High Energy Chemistry?
High Energy Chemistry (C2) is a necessary step towards Advanced Subatomic Theory (B3) (directly leading to Applied Relativity (D5) which enables the construction of the Supercolider a crucial Secret Project for science, and indirectly leads to Unified Field Theory (D10) which again provides us with the opportunity to construct the Theory of Everything Secret Project giving another boost to research) which enables the construction of the and Synthetic Fossil Fuels (E4) (which itself eventually leads to Doctrine: Air Power (E5) a crucial technology required for defensive purposes). Therefore, I consider it just as important as any other technology.

Quote:
You don't control if it's used or not, would you still research it if the Director of Defense doesn't oppose atrocities?
Yes, you are correct that ultimately this technology is not in the hands of the Directory of Science and Technology, and I have no direct control of it. But the Director of Defence himself does not dictate the use of this technology; he has to seek the opinions of the people first, or at least I would hope he would (just as I if elected Director of Science and Technology would), and then give his recommendations to the Commissioner who would make the final decision based on all these factors. And I do believe it highly unlikely given public opinions on atrocities that the Commissioner would use them even if they were in favour of atrocities. So in my mind the risk of misuse of this technology by our faction is minimal.

Quote:
I am running for DoOP/DoD and I want to know what every candidate for DoS will do for the military espaissly synmetal armor (d2) , laser (A2) and the rover (*/*/2) ...?
Rovers seeing as they are a using required both for military applications as well as exploration I would place a high priority on developing when we have the opportunity; and seeing as Doctrine: Mobility (E1) is available for research right from the start, it is important for us to receive it soon, though once again I would hold of until we have Secrets of the Human Brain. Industrial Base (B1) provides for Synthmetal Armor, as well as numerous other important doorways for research, I would consider researching it sometime soon after we have received Secrets of the Human Brain. With Applied Physics (C1) the same case as with the other technologies above applies. Though if I had to place a priority on the three technologies listed above I believe that Industrial Base (B1) should be at the top seeing as it provides us with more advanced armor for defence, followed by Doctrine: Mobility (E1), and lastly Applied Physics (C1).

Quote:
Was the military even mentioned in the speech? We depend heavly on the DOS to supply us with the tools we need to defend the colony. Infrastructure is nice but it don't do us any good when the enemy blows it up. I will agree that we sould be picky about trading techs when the techs included means transfers of military technology.
I can describe my views on the use of the military in one word… defence. I believe should be our priority when it comes to military applications of technology. And you are correct in stating that I failed to mention the relationship between the Directory of Science and Technology and the Directory of Defence; I apologize for this oversight, and I do believe that relations with the DoD should be close, I would cooperate with the Director of Defence in determining what military technologies to research, and I would take his or her recommendations into account all the time when attempting to reach a decision and also in an effort to provide the Commissioner with all the opinions and information possible.

Quote:
Guys, whoever gets elected as Director of Science, I want you to know that if I would be D of T&C I will not accept any other tech than Centauri Ecology to be researched first. Afterwards there are no more super-important techs for the T&C directorate for a while.
This is perhaps why I placed such a high priority on Centauri Ecology (E1); it is vital for development and exploitation of planets resources.

Quote:
Voltaire, can i post my speech here, or do you want me to make another thread?
Please do, this is meant to be a place of debade and discussion.

Sincerely,
Academician Voltaire
Old August 11, 2002, 15:40   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Wow, thanks for answering the questions. You look highly knowledgeable in the field of science.

TKG: I don't like jumping around threads to find speeches. Please post it here.
Old August 11, 2002, 15:40   #12
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

here are my goals:

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
I do not disagree with anything my opponent, Voltaire, has said, but i would like to work the director of expansion and intelligence to ensure that we have inflitrated the enemy, and that we know what technologies they are researching, so that we can trade with them and become even more knowledgeable.

Centauri Ecology (E1) would be the first and most important technology for me, and then as Voltaire said, Secrets of the Human Brain (D2) via Social Psych (B1) to stimulate further research. Ethical Calculus (E2) is an important priority for me as are Industrial Automation (B3), and Doctrine: Mobility (E1) to encourage exploration.

The discovery of these technologies would allow three secret projects (Weather Paradigm, Virtual World, Planetary Transit System) as well as the Human Genome Project allowed by research in Biogenetics (D1) done on the Unity. The above technologies would also allow the social models, Democratic, Fundamentalist, Free Market, Planned, and Wealth, as well as the base facilities Children's Creche, Recreation Commons, Recycling Tanks, Energy Bank, Network Node, Hab Complex, and Hologram Theatre. The all important Terrforming Unit and Supply Transport modules would also be available to our colony.

This, is just a suggested course, and i would be open to any other paths suggested by our citizens. Under the event of an early war, the above strategy is flexible, and could be adapted such that defence and weapons were a priority. If an early war occured, Synthetic Fossil Fuels (E4) and the Missile Launcher (A6) could be reached by researching only 6 other technologies if necessary, one of them being High Energy Chemistry (C2) for Plasma Steel Armour (D3), another being Gene Splicing (B3) which removes the 2 nutrient per tile cap.

Perhaps a combination of this and the strictly "builder" research path is necessary to keep everyone's interests in mind, and to ensure a well rounded colony.
i know the early tech tree very well, and if i forget, i have it in the drawer next to me .
Old August 11, 2002, 15:44   #13
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Wow, thanks for answering the questions. You look highly knowledgeable in the field of science.
No problem, that’s what I’m here for.

Quote:
TKG: I don't like jumping around threads to find speeches. Please post it here.
Yes, please do, it will make things less complicated. I was going to change the name of the thread, but unfortunately I apparently can’t.
Old August 11, 2002, 15:47   #14
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Yes, please do, it will make things less complicated. I was going to change the name of the thread, but unfortunately I apparently can’t
You can do by editing your first post and change the name in the subject line.
Old August 11, 2002, 15:48   #15
Lemmy
King

IIRC the topicname in the forum won't change, just the one in the post.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Old August 15, 2002, 15:12   #16
Method
Emperor

^bump^
Old August 15, 2002, 15:15   #17
Lemmy
King

Question for both candidates:
Assuming we meet no other factions for 30 turns, and our home base is on the coast (which i think is default, but not sure), and the land is pretty normal (no jungle/craters etc..) what would be your first 5 techs to research?
Old August 15, 2002, 15:17   #18
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
I would like to ask a questrion on the order you choice. Doctrone of mobility allow for us to rapidly explore and thus expand the area around our colony. Should it not be a near top priority early on?

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 15, 2002, 15:30   #19
Method
Emperor

centauri ecology, social psych, secrets of the human brain, ethical calculus, information networks OR industrial base.

Doctrine Mobility or applied physics if one is not available. (that happens sometimes)
Old August 15, 2002, 15:32   #20
Lemmy
King

why the secrets?
wouldn't someone else discover them first?
And why not one explore tech?
Old August 15, 2002, 15:33   #21
Method
Emperor

no, as the peacekeepers, we start with 1 prerequisite already.

look again, i have 2 explore techs there (though not in the sense you mean)
Old August 15, 2002, 15:34   #22
Lemmy
King

yes, but the University got that research advantage, and they got one tech for free
Old August 15, 2002, 15:37   #23
Method
Emperor

well we'll have polls i guess.
Old August 15, 2002, 17:08   #24
Voltaire
King

Well I’ve been away for a while, and it looks as though everyone has been busy.

Quote:
Assuming we meet no other factions for 30 turns, and our home base is on the coast (which i think is default, but not sure), and the land is pretty normal (no jungle/craters etc..) what would be your first 5 techs to research?
Centauri Ecology (E1); it gives us access to Formers as early thus allowing for the exploitation of the resources available to us to their full extent, also it makes the important Secret Project of the Weather Paradigm available for construction (it also opens the doors of research towards Ecological Engineering (E4) and Centauri Empathy (E3) later on);

Social Psych (B1); the reason for researching this next is to allow research of Secrets of the Human Brain (D2), it also allows for research towards Ethical Calculus (E2) which gives us the SE choice of Democracy, as well as Doctine: Loyalty (C2) which would give us the Command Nexus secret project alongside allowing for research towards Intellectual Integrity (E3);

Secrets of the Human Brain (D2); if discovered first it gives us a free technology alongside itself, as well as allowing for the Fundamentalist SE choice, and allowing for research towards Centauri Empathy (E3) (giving us the ability to build the Empath Guild);

Ethical Calculus (E2) (which would be received free due to the discovery of Secrets of the Human Brain (D2), assuming we get it first, though that is what this research path is intended to ensure); allows for the Democracy SE choice, also allowing research towards Gene Splicing (B3) and Intellectual Integrity (E3) (I do consider this to be a free tech so I will not count it among the 1st we that are actually researched);

Industrial Base (B1) seeing as it gives us Synthmetal Armor (2), as well as opening the doors to research in Superconductors (C4), High Energy Chemistry (C2), Polymorphic Software (D2), & Industrial Economics (B2);

And lastly Informatio Networks (D1) giving us the all important Network Nodes, as well as allowing for research into Planetary Networks (D2) (allowing the construction of the Virtual World), Polymorphic Software (D2), & Nonlinear Mathematics (C2).

Quote:
I would like to ask a questrion on the order you choice. Doctrone of mobility allow for us to rapidly explore and thus expand the area around our colony. Should it not be a near top priority early on?
Doctrine: Mobility (E1) is rather important, but there are a number of early technologies which I would consider more crucial than Doctrine: Mobility (E1); though seeing as it does eventually enable research in Doctrine: Initiative (E5) and Doctrine: Air Power (E5) (the later allowing for Orbital Spaceflight (E7)) though Doctrine: Flexibility (E2) I would consider researching it after the initial 5 (6 if you count the free-tech).

This is all pending of course input from the various directories as well as the people.
Old August 15, 2002, 17:20   #25
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 21:53
What would you, as Director of Research, do if we did NOT get Secrets first? I don't know how good/how cheating the AI is on Thinker, but it definately seems a possibility. For example, getting two research pods (Industrial Base and Applied Physics then) would slow us down considerably at these early techs, though it would please some other directors. In any case, there are a number of things that could go wrong.

So, say you're halfway through researching Secrets (maybe, 6 turns left) and you get a message "University (most likely) has discovered Secrets!". What do you do? Change to a different tech, or finish up Secrets to avoid inefficiency? Would this change any plans on what to research next?

Anothing question (perhaps not totally for D of R)...why is Ethical Calculus such an important priority? Gene Splicing/Intellectual Integrity will probably not be reached until after going toward Automation (at least, I assume that is an important goal?), and with expansion at such a high priority, Democracy's growth seems meaningless with bases' colony pod production usually limited by the minerals, and the efficiency is rather pointless with little energy production. Children's Creches don't seem to be such a high priority to put expansion on hold...so why get Ethical Calculus so early?

Z
Old August 15, 2002, 17:40   #26
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zakharov VII
What would you, as Director of Research, do if we did NOT get Secrets first? I don't know how good/how cheating the AI is on Thinker, but it definately seems a possibility. For example, getting two research pods (Industrial Base and Applied Physics then) would slow us down considerably at these early techs, though it would please some other directors. In any case, there are a number of things that could go wrong.

So, say you're halfway through researching Secrets (maybe, 6 turns left) and you get a message "University (most likely) has discovered Secrets!". What do you do? Change to a different tech, or finish up Secrets to avoid inefficiency? Would this change any plans on what to research next?

Anothing question (perhaps not totally for D of R)...why is Ethical Calculus such an important priority? Gene Splicing/Intellectual Integrity will probably not be reached until after going toward Automation (at least, I assume that is an important goal?), and with expansion at such a high priority, Democracy's growth seems meaningless with bases' colony pod production usually limited by the minerals, and the efficiency is rather pointless with little energy production. Children's Creches don't seem to be such a high priority to put expansion on hold...so why get Ethical Calculus so early?

Z
True, there are a number of things that could go wrong. To increase our changes of getting it first perhaps it would be better to research Social Psych (B1) first and then followed directly by Secrets of the Human Brain (D2). In which case to compensate for not researching Centauri Ecology (E1) it can be acquired as the free-tech that would come with Secrets of the Human Brain (D2). This would reduce the risk of another faction discovering the secret before we do.

True, there are a number of things that could go wrong. To increase our changes of getting it first perhaps it would be better to research Social Psych (B1) first and then followed directly by Secrets of the Human Brain (D2). In which case to compensate for not researching Centauri Ecology (E1) it can be acquired as the free-tech that would come with Secrets of the Human Brain (D2). This would reduce the risk of another faction discovering the secret before we do.

In that case the continuation of research towards Secrets of the Human Brain (D2) would still be justified since it does allow for later research into Centauri Empathy (E3). And yes it would change the overall research path. Ethical Calculus (E2) would be pushed back seeing as the only reason I included it in the list was because I considered that it could be acquired through Secrets of the Human Brain (D2) thus avoiding researching it ourselves and we would be able to concentrate on more important goals.

As for Ethical Calculus (E2), it isn’t such an important priority, as I explained above if all things proceeded as planned it would be acquired through Secrets of the Human Brain (D2) to avoid having to research it ourselves and we could concentrate our research on something more important. But as you yourself stated it is a gamble if we will get Secrets (D2) at all and therefore my backup proposal reduces the risk but Ethical Calculus (E2) isn’t included on that research seeing as the free-tech would be used to acquire Centauri Ecology (E1).

Of course the initial proposal once again is pending input form the people and directors and therefore changes are bound to be made to it and certain new research priorities might be set that supersede what I have proposed.
Old August 15, 2002, 17:41   #27
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I agree with Zakharov. You shouldn't count on Secrets of the Human Brain unless we would land right next to a river or energy bonus.
Old August 15, 2002, 17:49   #28
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
I am curious why the delay to get Mobility. With the plan I have seen outlined we could be 100 years into this before we have anything more mobile that foot soilders. This means we cannot effectively survey the surrounding area dnwe could there by lose out on a number of pods which could also provide free technology.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 15, 2002, 17:57   #29
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crisler
I am curious why the delay to get Mobility. With the plan I have seen outlined we could be 100 years into this before we have anything more mobile that foot soilders. This means we cannot effectively survey the surrounding area dnwe could there by lose out on a number of pods which could also provide free technology.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Well in that case perhaps we could implement my second proposal for getting Secrets of the Human Brain and get Doctrine: Mobility as the free-tech.
Old August 15, 2002, 18:05   #30
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire
Doctrine: Initiative (E5)...Orbital Spaceflight (E7))
Doc: Init is E4, orbital spaceflight is D6

it seems we agree on the early research path too

as for ethical calculus, we get democracy and creches. democracy is needed to offset the -2 efficiency of planned (which most people intend to run early on) and creches are important for the effic and morale bonus (if in wealth (and i know it only counts in the base so don't bother pointing that out )). pre requisite for gene splicing which:
  • removes the 2 nutrient/tile cap
  • leads to synthetic fossil fuels
  • leads to ecological engineering (removing the 2 mineral/tile cap).

if we did not get secrets, i'd just keep going, because centauri empathy is important for the empath guild. if somehow, someone got it before we started researching it, or we were 1 turn in, i'd just skip it.

so without the secrets, its:[list=1][*]centauri ecology[*]social psych[*]industrial base OR information networks[*]industrial base OR information networks (polls decide)[*]planetary networks OR industrial economics[/list=1]
assuming none of those are available at any given time (for some reason), doctrine: mobility.