Old August 11, 2002, 01:06   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good essays on governments? For non religious players.
Any good threads on governments for higher levels? monarch-emperor levels?

This is important choice when you have to suffer 7 turns of anarchy each switch.

It seems everyone goes republic? Democracy is broken for non religious civs? Lets face it war is a way of life on upper dif levels ai always is punking you out.

What about monarchy? I hear communism stinks..

Looking for essays for non religious players on which governments to choose and how often to switch and when.
Old August 11, 2002, 01:16   #2
Demerzel
Warlord

not an essay or a link to another thread but 'tis something to confuse you...

i'm playing the romans on the higher difficulty levels and am using democracy. strangely enough my populace get all happy when the AI's declare war on me and get all angry when I make peace.

so I quite happily refuse all demands for tribute and then reap the benefits when they declare war but can't do much with me being isolated on a remote-ish continent

mebbe being militaristic has something to do with it, I'm not mr. encylopedia so you'll have to forgive my ignorance on these small unimportant details
Old August 11, 2002, 01:26   #3
Artifex
Prince

I haven't been able to locate much info about governments, but the little I did read is that Democracy is broken..unless you are a religious civ. I hear WAR weariness is absolutely brutal under democracy.

I wonder if you get someone to declare war on you, have suffrage...then I wonder if Democracy is viable? I dunno. I think I read somewhere you need police stations in every city, courthouse, marketplaces, banks in every city and also suffrage, then have to have war declared on you. If all that happens then you have 15 turns until your govt collapses due to rebeliion.

I know that my wars last too long and switching back and forth suffering 7 turn anarchies would kill me. I bet the govt would collapse in 5 turns under demo from what I hear..even if someone declareed war on you from overseas and there wasn't anything you could do about it.
Old August 11, 2002, 01:48   #4
Demerzel
Warlord

yes I do have Suffrage and a few luxuries in my democracy but as I said, my populace were quite happy in a war state against people from overseas or against ones on my continent ( 'til I wiped 'em out of course. enemies on MY continent? ) for as long as I wanted.

They seemed to get happier as time went on even, have had plenty of WLT*Ds. Only time they got upset was when I was fighting 3 wars at once ( all AI declared ), 2 remote & 1 local and I sent a transport full of infantry out to sea to smack down the dominant AI. They immediately got a bit upset about that but this was about turn 20 or 30 of the conflict.

Oh as a guide to how popular I was during the 3 war stage, the demographics had me at 98% approval rating

Last edited by Demerzel; August 11, 2002 at 02:18.
Old August 11, 2002, 07:58   #5
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 14:53
In War Weariness, war sentiment is dependent on how well you are doing in the war. If you are losing the war (losing units or cities), then your people become upset very quickly since it's THEIR friends and families that are being killed / captured, but if you are winning the war (destroying enemy units / taking cities), then your people will experience "war fever" and be happier as the express their patriotism. On top of this is a gradual increase in unhappiness due to all the resources and luxuries back home being commandeered to feed the war effort.

I also think that you get a brief respite in War Weariness when you shift to War Mobilization (that is, the onset of unhappiness is delayed from when you START mobilization, not if you have already been mobilized for many turns before the current conflict--it is the act of ENTERING mobilization and not the state of BEING in mobilization that is relevant).
Old August 11, 2002, 09:11   #6
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 01:53
Republic.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:02   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
not an essay or a link to another thread but 'tis something to confuse you...

i'm playing the romans on the higher difficulty levels and am using democracy. strangely enough my populace get all happy when the AI's declare war on me and get all angry when I make peace.

so I quite happily refuse all demands for tribute and then reap the benefits when they declare war but can't do much with me being isolated on a remote-ish continent

mebbe being militaristic has something to do with it, I'm not mr. encylopedia so you'll have to forgive my ignorance on these small unimportant details
Same here. I to play as Rome, and I find Republic/Democracy suits me just fine with higher levels (even though I tend to lose due to culture win or space race anyway).

I'm not a big warmonger, so those two governments suit me just fine. I usualy provoke the other civ to attack me first so I can get my MPP allies to kick in.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:44   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Republic or Communism is all i do.

i play Monarch or Emperor most of the time, and one of my favorite civs is Persia (not relig)
Old August 12, 2002, 01:22   #9
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If religious, anything that makes sense given the then-current facts and circumstances. If not religious, then I now often make one government change, from despotism to:

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel
Republic.
Catt