Old August 11, 2002, 15:05   #1
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 21:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Campaign Thread: Historian
This is the campaign thread for the office of public historian.

Candidates:
Proserpine
Trevman
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old August 11, 2002, 15:12   #2
Trevman
Warlord

My Speal
As your public historian I promise to be active in Apolyton and attend as many turnchats as I can to get primary accounts of our history as it happens. Historians in the past seem to have mostly relied on reports and newspapers and seldom printed anything. I promise that I will not be like those in the past. I will start writing our history as it happens and post it often. Do not expect me just to sink back and contribute only a post or two of our glorious history during my term.

My writing is of the romantic style so I will tend to exaggerate events somewhat but not so that they become inaccurate.

Also, I got an A in GATE English last year and I know big words such as pneuminoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconisosis.
(EDIT: This information is simply here because I can't think of much else to say. It is not meant to make me look like a braggart, but if you feel so, then please ignore it.)

So vote for me for public historian.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.

Last edited by Trevman; August 12, 2002 at 14:18.
Old August 11, 2002, 16:55   #3
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmm alright tell me what pneuminoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconisosis means and use it in a sentence that has nothing to with either geology or volcanology.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:50   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:56
Quote:
Originally posted by rendelnep
Hmm alright tell me what pneuminoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconisosis means and use it in a sentence that has nothing to with either geology or volcanology.
I can. pneuminoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconisosis isn't a word. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is probably the word you were looking for, and its a disease. And here is your sentence:

"Oh no! I think I just contracted Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!!"
Old August 11, 2002, 18:54   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Re: My Speal
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevman
As your public historian I promise to be active in Apolyton and attend as many turnchats as I can to get primary accounts of our history as it happens. Historians in the past seem to have mostly relied on reports and newspapers and seldom printed anything. I promise that I will not be like those in the past. I will start writing our history as it happens and post it often. Do not expect me just to sink back and contribute only a post or two of our glorious history during my term.
Alright. Give me an example of how you write.

Quote:
Also, I got an A in GATE English last year and I know big words such as pneuminoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconisosis.
I don't care about your grades (as school grades usually never measure how smart someone is...) nor do I care about how big of words you know. Big words usually only serve to confuse, and if future generations are confused because you used big words...
Old August 11, 2002, 20:27   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:56
Re: Campaign Thread: Historian
Quote:
This is the campaign thread for the office of public historian.

Candidates:
Proserpine
Trevman
So is this Trevman's exclusive campaign thread or will Proserpine post here also?
Old August 12, 2002, 12:17   #7
Proserpine
Warlord

My Campaign Platform
Respect to Trevman for his candidacy for this important but neglect post in our civilisation

I am standing as a candidate principally b'cos of my dissatifaction with the work of previous incombents & to ensure that the history of our nation is recorded for posterity.

Unlike Trevman I can't attend the T/C so I would have to rely on reports & such

However, if elected I would regularly review all relevant material and produce detailed updates on the happenings in our great land.

The historian of Apolytonia should report all significant events without exaggeration or bias.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:20   #8
Proserpine
Warlord

Post Script
Apologies for spelling errors in my previous!
Old August 12, 2002, 12:43   #9
Captain
King

Local Time: 00:56
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?

Isn't that a coal-miner's disease?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:15   #10
Trevman
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
I can. pneuminoultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconisosis isn't a word. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is probably the word you were looking for, and its a disease. And here is your sentence:

"Oh no! I think I just contracted Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!!"
Yeah, what he said

Quote:
Alright. Give me an example of how you write
Hey, no other prospecive historians are asked to do this. But I might if you insisit.

Quote:
I don't care about your grades (as school grades usually never measure how smart someone is...) nor do I care about how big of words you know. Big words usually only serve to confuse, and if future generations are confused because you used big words...
Yeah, I know. But I figuerd it couldn't hurt. I mean like, there isn't that much to say for a historian campaign. But then again, I guess it could make me look like a braggart. Also I will not use that monstruous word again. It just did there because its there. Besides, what's the good about trivial knowledge unless you use it now and then?
Old August 13, 2002, 00:40   #11
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 12:56
Hey, I can't find the poll for the historian. Where's it ?

I support Proserpine. We would get some good old English writing .... his flag tells us that he's from Scotland.
Old August 13, 2002, 01:27   #12
Trevman
Warlord

Revolution
At special request of Tassadar, here his a brief sampling of my writing. It is not great but I hope it's adequate.

Several ministers were inexplicitly absent from the turnchat and so the present ministers soon found themselves bickering over decisions under the absents' duties. As the debate grew more fierce and the frustation more intense, one minister could stand it no longer. Uberkrux as the Supreme Military Commander of Apolytonia was naturally a man of temperment. What exactly caused his sudden leave of the turnchat is not known. Perhaps it was the blunders made by Timeline, or the undsclipine of him and Ninot, the President, as the pressure increased on them. Whatever the reason, Uberkrux's next actions shocked Apolytonia , for the next day, he cried that revolution was the only way to rid Apolytonia of its governmental inefficiency. And after the shcok wore off the people started also crying revolution. The cry spread throughout the nation and even a few ministers joined in. For a brief period, there was brother against brother, father against son, and it seemed that our great democracy was about to falter. For the first time, the laws of ancestors were being seriously questioned and no one knew if they would withstand. All knew that Uber was a powerful and passionate man, but the uproar he created amazed eveyone. But as a wave crashes before it hits the shore and soon subsides, so was the revolution. Soon, the practical people of Apolytonia put aside their passions and began reasonable question and debate. The outcome of which is yet to be seen.
Old August 13, 2002, 12:43   #13
Proserpine
Warlord

Re: Revolution
Quote:
At special request of Tassadar, here his a brief sampling of my writing. It is not great but I hope it's adequate.

Several ministers were inexplicitly absent from the turnchat and so the present ministers soon found themselves bickering over decisions under the absents' duties. As the debate grew more fierce and the frustation more intense, one minister could stand it no longer. Uberkrux as the Supreme Military Commander of Apolytonia was naturally a man of temperment. What exactly caused his sudden leave of the turnchat is not known. Perhaps it was the blunders made by Timeline, or the undsclipine of him and Ninot, the President, as the pressure increased on them. Whatever the reason, Uberkrux's next actions shocked Apolytonia , for the next day, he cried that revolution was the only way to rid Apolytonia of its governmental inefficiency. And after the shcok wore off the people started also crying revolution. The cry spread throughout the nation and even a few ministers joined in. For a brief period, there was brother against brother, father against son, and it seemed that our great democracy was about to falter. For the first time, the laws of ancestors were being seriously questioned and no one knew if they would withstand. All knew that Uber was a powerful and passionate man, but the uproar he created amazed eveyone. But as a wave crashes before it hits the shore and soon subsides, so was the revolution. Soon, the practical people of Apolytonia put aside their passions and began reasonable question and debate. The outcome of which is yet to be seen.
Wheesht Mon, Ah canna unnerstan' yon hingmae at 'a!
Ye dribblin' fule.

Seriously though, T'man, it isn't too bad if a little bit "purple prose" for my taste. Stick to the facts!
Old August 13, 2002, 12:45   #14
Proserpine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by rush
Hey, I can't find the poll for the historian. Where's it ?

I support Proserpine. We would get some good old English writing .... his flag tells us that he's from Scotland.
Ye'll hae guid Scots an' like it!!!!
Old August 13, 2002, 14:38   #15
Nubclear

Re: Revolution
Trevman....While you probably would make a good historian (although you do need to paragraph!! that block of text was hard to read) why not just write for the Jungle Gazette? It'll give you more freedom, you wont be expected to write as often, and....it's just more appealing.

Just trying to cause trouble. Jk
Old August 13, 2002, 17:31   #16
Trevman
Warlord

First of all, the I know the above passage is a tad inaccurate, but I didn't have time to get all the facts.

Secondly, I just heard from Ninot that the historian post is now completely unofficial. Anyone can post historical accounts I suppose. Maybe I'll take up that offer to write for the gazette and spend the time to get all the facts right.

Did anyone know this? Was there an official announcement some where? Frankly, I thought I knew what was going on in the nation but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I wouldn't have been a good historian afterall. Anyways, it was a good run. Good luck to you, Proserpine! Last I checked, we were in a dead tie, 2 votes each.