View Poll Results: Do we place a ban on atrocities and if so how?
Yes we need an Atrocity Ban in our Constitution.. 8 27.59%
We need a ban on all Atrocities but it does not belong in the Constitution... 9 31.03%
We do not need any ban on Atrocities ... 12 41.38%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11, 2002, 17:25   #1
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Atrocity Ban
There has been some discussion on if atrocities should be banned. This discussion has further led to the idea that such a ban should be placed in the Constitution for our colony.

Now lets make sure we all understand what this implies. The Constitution for this game is designed to be a list of the rules of play. As such the concept was not really in place for a proposal such as an Atrocity ban to be included.

However at the same time changing the Constitution takes a much larger majority vote than just changing an in game position, as such it would make an Atrocity Ban harder to remove.

Basically in this poll we will present the choices for an Atrocity Ban in all possible formats, either a ban placed in Constitution, a ban as general policy or no ban at all.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 11, 2002, 17:34   #2
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For some of the prior debate on this and other constitutional issues, check out this thread.
Old August 11, 2002, 17:40   #3
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
This doesn't belong to the Constitution. It's like deciding, "we won't switch to Thought Control in SE", in the Constitution. It's about actually playing the game, not about the mechanics dedicated to Demogame playing. The Constitution is not the place for an Atrocity ban.
Old August 11, 2002, 17:58   #4
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 22:56
I have one question before I vote, does this proposal consider Punishment Spheres as an atrocity or not?
Old August 11, 2002, 18:00   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
that is still being discussed here
Old August 11, 2002, 18:04   #6
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 22:56
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
that is still being discussed here
In that case I’ll hold off on voting on this poll until that one is finished.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:13   #7
gopher
Warlord

I vote nay. As Chairman Yang says, why deny ourselfs a weapon when we are squemish about it.
Or something like that, so sue me

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old August 11, 2002, 18:21   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

"if you deny yourself a useful tool, simply because it reminds you, uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly, and pointlessly, crippled yourself."

is that it?
Old August 11, 2002, 18:26   #9
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 07:56
Hmm... I did vote, but after reading what Kass said, I have to agree
Old August 11, 2002, 18:29   #10
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Hmm... I did vote, but after reading what Kass said, I have to agree
People have agreed with me before. It's really not such a big deal.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:30   #11
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Yes, we should have an atrocity ban. However, it shouldn't be in our Constitution.

We are roleplaying the remnant of the United Nations. We should do our best to uphold its ideals and its Charter.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:38   #12
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 07:56
Now, Kass, don't get too cocky, there
Old August 11, 2002, 18:46   #13
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Now, Kass, don't get too cocky, there
Sorry, my modesty chip is offline at the moment.
Old August 11, 2002, 21:44   #14
Crisler
Warlord

For the sake of this discussion I do not think we should count the Punishment Sphere as an atrocity. That will just further complicate this issue. Lets stick to atrocities as defined in the game for now and use the PS on another thread.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 12, 2002, 01:42   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:56
Vlad has it right. Let's roleplay at the start, and we can always change back later on. I will vote for outlawing atrocities to begin with, and maybe will vote to change later on. We should definitely keep the definition of atrocitry to that which the game punishes you for should you commit it.

I take the points on not including this in our Constitution, but where then do we put it? Do we need a separate game specific set of agreed stances (eg atrocities, SE choices to avoid) in which to include the results of this poll?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 12, 2002, 03:36   #16
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:56
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
We could write a Declaration of Human Rights living on Planet, and we would put there that atrocities, SE choices as Thoughts Control and Police State are not in the Faction Line.
Old August 12, 2002, 07:34   #17
Crisler
Warlord

While I expected to see the Ban Atrocity combined socre winning, figured everyone or at least a large majority was for banning in some way, I am supirsed at how many do not want a ban at all.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 12, 2002, 11:33   #18
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:56
It is an important debate but it just doesn't belong in the constitution.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:28   #19
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

I agree with everone that says no to the ban in the constitution

and NO i am not a yes-man
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 12, 2002, 20:04   #20
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Well if we play SMAX instead of SMAC then we can still gas aliens.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:36   #21
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bloody Baro
Well if we play SMAX instead of SMAC then we can still gas aliens.
read the official poll results thread. we are playing SMAC not SMAX. besides, gassing the bugs isnt an atrocity
Old August 12, 2002, 21:53   #22
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 21:56
This is a very interesting question...basically (at least to me, opposing atrocities) what is being asked is whether our Constitution should be part of the role playing. Right now we have a very generic (to SMAC, that is) Constitution. But if the main focus of this democracy game is role playing (which, I think according to that other poll, it is), don't we need a document to that effect? Since we are role playing, shouldn't we consider all of "humankind"'s (humankind, as in the people on Alpha Centauri) basic rights, not just those of the Peacekeeping faction which we represent?

If we want to do another democracy game after this, perhaps with more aggressive, pro-atrocity views, we can use the base constitution which is copied and pasted in plenty of posts. But, with our main goal as it is, we need our Constitution to be part of that role playing.

Thus, if we believe is the right of all humans living on Alpha Centauri not to be nerve stapled, planet busted, or nerve gased, we should put it in our Declaration of Rights.

(As to the last posts, some, including me, would argue that if we were playing SMAX (which I don't have, though I guess I could still participate in a SMAX democracy ), the aliens do not deserve atrocities either. Even if "the game" and the other factions say it's OK, we have to be who we are.)

Thus I voted "yes," we need this ban in our Constitution, because we need the ban and because we should pave the way for other role-playing issues to be declared in our Constitution.

Z
Old August 13, 2002, 06:12   #23
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Agian I say there is allready a restriction on the use of atrocities....the UN Charter....lets just keep that and if someone wants it repieled than look at what we all want... and if we are going to put it in a document let not put it in the Constitution but in some thing else (declaration of humanity orsome thing i read.)
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 14, 2002, 01:58   #24
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:56
I'm against a ban on the use of atrocities.

It should be up to the people, at that particular time, to decide whether to commit an atrocity.