Old August 12, 2002, 04:03   #1
Gnool
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 15:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Secret projects early in the game
How early should be go for secret projects (if at all)? And which one(s) should we go for? I think that going for the Human Genome Project and the Command Nexus would be good, and maybe the Weather Paradigm while we're at it.
Old August 12, 2002, 04:07   #2
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:57
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
The Weather Paradigm is a must have.

Gnool, i see the New Soviet Union in your signature, when do you join the CCCP ?
Old August 12, 2002, 04:19   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Weather Paradigm, Merchant Exchange . . . perhaps Command Nexus?
Old August 12, 2002, 04:46   #4
Gnool
Warlord

The "New Soviet Union" is a sort of joke website my friend made up. He wants to remake the Soviet Union in Australia

I read the CCCP charter yesterday and I think that I didn't like it because it's inflexible (like every other political party in this demo game) For example, I think that if it's needed we should be able to switch to a Police State. I'll go have another read of the CCCP & reconsider joining if you want
Old August 12, 2002, 05:16   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:57
weather paradigm, command nexus, and the virtual world are good SP's, but they shouldn't slow down our growth too much.

Quote:
I read the CCCP charter yesterday and I think that I didn't like it because it's inflexible (like every other political party in this demo game) For example, I think that if it's needed we should be able to switch to a Police State. I'll go have another read of the CCCP & reconsider joining if you want
you might want to consider joining a smaller party, where you can be part of making the policy, like the SSK.
In fact the SSK does not rule out any SE choice, or any other course of action, we simply have goals that we want to accomplish through any means necessary.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 12, 2002, 05:38   #6
Gnool
Warlord

Ah well, I caved in and joined the CCCP . (Back to the topic...) Yes, Virtual World good
Old August 12, 2002, 06:07   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnool
Ah well, I caved in and joined the CCCP . (Back to the topic...) Yes, Virtual World good
Good for you!

And it may be just me, but I like Empath Guild....Get commlinks, but mainly get more votes! and with our already double votes....
Old August 12, 2002, 06:39   #8
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

I love my early wonders. Hell, I think we should go for them once we get 3 or 4 extra cities, as long as we're not under attack. Some of those things, like The Weather Paradigm, add up to a huge bonus by the endgame.
Old August 12, 2002, 08:04   #9
Gnool
Warlord

I like the Empath Guild as well. Generally when I play I build at least 4 or 5 bases before I start with secret projects, and then I normally build one project at a time (unless it doesn't interfere with expansion).
Old August 12, 2002, 08:45   #10
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In a manner a agree with what Wojit said. I feel we should optimize a couple of cities to produce secret projects. Then we can use them for that purpose when the other cities are working on infrastructure or military.

However I also feel we need to keep these wonders spread out. By doing so we make it impossible for an enemy to take all of them.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 12, 2002, 14:33   #11
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

weather paragram and HGP are cool!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 12, 2002, 16:18   #12
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
all of them.

my first base: former, pod, scout, WP (finished around 2150)

second base: former pod, scout HGP (finished around 2160)

then once i have these 2, the rest are easy

i tend to miss the command nexus and merchant exchange, but conquer them later.

does it prevent early growth? not as much as missing the WP.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:06   #13
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

-- Weather Paradigm, for better formers.
-- Human Genome Project, to increase our edge in happiness.
-- Empath Guild, for more votes (very useful in any instance) and for every communications freq.
-- Virtual World, mainly to increase our edge in happiness, but also to see the University retch.
-- Citizens' Defense Force, for obvious reasons.
-- Probably optional: Planetary Transit System. Aside from giving new bases a big leg up, it helps with elections. (More citizens means more votes.)

Gnool: As we're playing the Peacekeepers, Police State is impossible.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:49   #14
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

oh wait, i forgot. if we get the ascentic virtues, we can grow to size 11 () without hab complexes!
Old August 12, 2002, 19:52   #15
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Yeah, but we won't be getting it for a while.

Maybe in the thread on mid-game projects?

Still, size 11 bases without habs is impressive, considering that we'd also be getting +1 police with it, which is helpful in itself. I'll advocate building it as soon as it becomes available. Maybe a Planetary Economics beeline (we'll get all the resource-collection techs along the way)...?
Old August 12, 2002, 21:07   #16
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 21:57
Weather Paradigm is good, but for a while now (very little to do with the challenge, very much because I wanted to be a lazy terraformer) I've restricted myself to forest only, no crawlers, and things still go smoothly (and of course I made very little effort for the WP). Human Genome (very important, especially for those parties against Free Market), Virtual World (very important if we have tons of bases), and Merchant Exchange (especially important if we can still maintain a tech lead even with all this role-playing...I do love those tech doublers) are my favorites, then. Slightly later the Empath Guild is fun, to practically ensure becoming the governer and selling all the commlinks is great .

I've actually played very few Transcend non-forest games, so I really don't love the WP as everyone else does . The Planetary Transit System is another one I don't like, because so much expansion goes on before it's available (let alone built). The Command Nexus I let Yang (or someone else) get, I don't go to war much and if that morale is going to make a difference between being conquered and surviving, I've misplayed. Still, since we're putting so much effort into this game, we'll need to deal with any mistakes, not pray they never happen.

Similarly for Citizen's Defense Force. I usually get that right after Tree Farms (Integrity is a prerequisite for Planetary Economics - Hybrid Forests), when I'm just finishing up expansion. If I'm in a big war now, I'll have Perimiter Defenses up where they're needed already, and if I'm not, I'll have time to put them in my outer bases, if I ever put them in at all (call me sloppy, but if they ever get built, it's usually when there's some Chaos Infantry knocking on my door. It's rushbuilt and I quickly upgrade my Police Infantry inside to something decent).

So I like starting ME first at the home base after 3-4 bases are out there (building Recycling Tanks first), then after the next wave (6-7 bases, maybe, I don't count), my second best gets a Recycling Tank and starts HGP. All artifacts go towards building one of the projects (depends on my mood which one), hopefully I can finish one, maybe build Creche/Rec Commons, and go to VW. Same for the other when it finishes, going towards EG. Then it's a long way for the next good SPs (next one I have to have is Ascetic Virtues, which is where I go right towards anyways), so by then I try to have a big enough tech/production lead.

Z
Old August 12, 2002, 21:10   #17
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 01:57
WP is a must, and PTS too (but that is usually not a really early one). Definatly Emp Guild to to tech trading, and with Lal's (sorry, mean Crisler/Current Alpha Talent) extra 50% votes, that is a shoe in for PlanetGov.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old August 12, 2002, 21:34   #18
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Yeah, but we won't be getting it for a while.

Maybe in the thread on mid-game projects?
oh sorry . in SMAX planetary economics is a level 4 tech, in SMAC its level 6. (thus hybrid forests before tree farms )
Old August 12, 2002, 23:43   #19
Gnool
Warlord

I don't usually find the need to get the planetary transit system, because by the time it comes to build that I've expanded as much as I can (or want to).

Quote:
Gnool: As we're playing the Peacekeepers, Police State is impossible.
I know this now, but thanks anyway
Old August 14, 2002, 09:14   #20
Vlad Antlerkov
King

TKG:

It's less nonsensical than some stuff in the tech tree in Civ II-- namely, banking can be researched before mathematics And alphabet is a preq for writing when, historically, writing came a few thousand years before the alphabet (no biggie to fix, just flip the advance names).
Old August 14, 2002, 10:08   #21
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:57
Thou should not forget that the EmpathGuild also tends to bring in quite some techs..
Its good when ur the only one with the CommFreq of the Islandbased University
But
WP
&HGP first