Old September 15, 2002, 21:50   #31
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chapter 11: World war
Sorry I was sick a bit so wasn't able to write a new chapter...
I hope someone still reading this...

*No new characters in this chapter

Aukstaitis walked around the room and thinked. So, Lithuanian planes had to bomb Warwick once more. It was not as important strategically, but it was important to test US reaction. If Lincoln was to declare war, it was better for Aukstaitis that he would do it now. Now part of Lithuanian army was ordered to march to US borders, so defense would be easier if war on second front would really start. However it wasn’t possible always to keep that brigade of troops on border. If war would not start now, it would be almost guaranted that USA won’t declare war brcause of Lithuanian actions against Great Britain. And that means Lithuania could retreat troops stationed at American border and use them in future invasions to Great Britain. However if war against USA would really start, everything wouldn’t be so good. Lithuania teoriethically could keep the war going on two fronts, but then no land attacks on Britain would be possible – all troops would have to try take defensive positions on US boundary.
Phone ranged. Minister of defence colonel Paulauskas called. It was obviously something important happened, because Paulauskas just talked with president. Aukstaitis answered quite nervously – he was nervous because of the lost invasion, although tried to hide that when talked with other people:
“Hello. What happened?”
“Well, bad knews again… British navy surrounded Isle of Odessa”
President remained silent for a bit. One thing was to loose an invasion and second thing was to loose your own territories in a war you just declared. If Odessa would be lost, popularity of Aukstaitis would be totally crashed. Although he didn’t needed it to stay in power because there were no democratic elections in Lithuania, however lack of popularaty meant many civil disorders and cities submitting to enemy like Siauliai did years ago, which means already hard job to win war would become even more harder. Aukstaitis said:
“And what troops we have there in Odessa?”
“One brigade of infrantry. Odessa isn’t an important city, the only resource near it is coal and we have more coal mines throughout the country”
“I know it isn’t important city. I also know it is mostly populated by Russians, who owned the city before war aginst Russia. But, however, city belonged to Lithuania for last half an age, and that is enough reason to defend it”
“I understand, mister president” – colonel Paulauskas feared Aukstaitis a bit. Everybody in government feared him because nobody understood his true emotions.
“OK. So what damage British could possibly do to the isle?”
“Well… Currently the size of their fleets near island is unknown, it is also unknown werether they have any transport ships there or not. However, I could tell admiral Vanauskas to sail there with second fleet if you want. But then we wouldn’t be able to defent coasts near Moscow”
“No, you don’t need to do that. Moscow is more important obviously. However, everything seems to be falling out of our hand. Well, I want to call meeting of whole junta tomorrow morning. Could you call people to the meeting?”
“OK. Who to call? All the members? We can’t call admiral Vanauskas or general Kairys…”
“No, not all. Only ones available here in Klaipeda. That means minister of defense Joris Banevicius, minister of justice Antanas Ruda and others”
“OK, I will call them”
“Goodbye for now. Do your job”
Aukstaitis stopped talking and sat near desk, where he watched through the windows. He thought what to say in the junta meeting. Although popularity in people was important, popularity in junta itself was even more so. People could moarn and scream, they could even aquire weapons, but it is almost impossible for them to kick out government if government is firm. While for example charismatic military commander in key position could do that quite easily. Even if the coup attempt wouldn’t be succesful, government would become much weaker. Something like that happened when junta kicked off democratically elected but corrupted government of Lithuania many years ago. Aukstaitis was then just a leutenant and general Gaudliauskas was commander of land army. He was the one who started a coup. However later he put Aukstaitis into presidents position, primarily because at start being in that position was very unsafe – some people still wanted democracy back and tried to assasinate the new president. Also Gaudliauskas thought Aukstaitis would give him up presidents seat once everything calms down. But here he was very wrong – although Aukstaitis was calm and ussually strange, he was a good strategist. He didn’t gave up presidents seat but he also didn’t became a tyrant. He liked to talk to people and almost every his decition was done in cooperation with other junta members. Gaudliauskas at start still tried to regain lost power and intiated “elections” of president inside junta. But junta apporoved Aukstaitis as president and Gaudliauskas had to agree with the fact that he remained commander of land army. But, however, although being in the same position Gaudliauskas had much more power to the government after coup than he had before it. This was because Aukstaitis didn’t considered Gaudliauskas as an enemy, who lost, but as a friend who helped him become what he was instead. Even foreign politologists thought that if not Aukstaitis Lithuania would have not been a superpower. This was because if some not such charismatic person would have came to power as a leader of junta in those vurnable times when government was jst kicked out, it was very possible that junta would be also kicked off. And so would be the third government and maybe the fourth. After that many government changes country would have fallen into a complete anarchy. And that would just have helped USA or Great Britain to occupy Lithuania.
Aukstaitis turned on TV to hear the last news on the war. Destroyed Warwick was still being shown and reporter talked:
“…There could be probably about 500’000 casualties at the British side as a result of bombings of Warwick. About 400’000 of these people were civilians and that is one third of Warwick population. Queen Elizabeth ordered to half-raise flags everywhere in Britain today in respect to the deceased. As her advisor said, she is very shocked by the tragedy and now spends days in Buckingham Palace never going outside. Currently charity is being collected in all the major British and American cities. The money will be used to help Warwick citizents with humanitarian aid. However, unconfirmed reports we recently got claims there was another air raid by Lithuanian bombers on Warwick. However, this time it was not on city itself but on irrigation systemsnear it. If these reports are true, situation in Warwick would become even worse – even now citizens there are lacking food because of destroyed railways and roads connecting city to farms near London and the attacked irrigation systems were the only such building near Warwick” Reporter stopped talking and later said “Now we have a live transmitting from the White House” view from Warwick dissappeared and instead American president’s emblem – the eagle – appeared. In front of that huge eagle on a wall, Lincoln stood. He started talking:
“Hello my fellow citizens of United States, and also citizens of other world countries. As you probably already know, Lithuanian forces in the last days brutualy bombarded city of Warwick. About half a million people were killed there. And many times more people have lost their wifes, husbands, daughters, sons, mother, fathers, grandparents, cousins and friends in these bombardings. We tried to help Britain to deal with the aftermath as much as possible. We gave them helicopters, technics required to search for alive people under the rubbles. However every such action to help poor people who were physically or morally wounded in the bombings was brutually stopped by more offensive actions by republic of Lithuania. First it was invasion. President Aukstaitis said both bombings and invasion were primarily done for military purposes and many civilian deaths were unintentional. However, as our intelligence said, now Lithuania bombed irrigation facilities near Warwick. This bombing was definitely done just to create povetry in the already destroyed city and to stop any attempts by Great Britain or USA to help people there. This is definitely what we can’t tolerate. We can’t leave Britain and their people alone. So, I have to say that I do declare a war on Republic of Lithuania. This is the first US war since war against Russia, I know. But however I think you people won’t let down brothers from Great Britain and completely support this action”

*to be continued*
Old September 17, 2002, 07:06   #32
Kampus majore
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:59
This is exciting! I must admit I didn't expect the invasion of Warwick to fail.....

It seems Lithuania is in trouble! Hope to be able to read the next chapter soon!
Old September 18, 2002, 16:12   #33
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 07:59
Chapter 12: Sentence for a spy
Well Kampus Majore, this is a new chapter .

*No new characters in this chapter

The world war just had started. This was the first such war in history. Great Britain and USA, now commonly reffered to as “Allies” fought against Lithuania. Allied forces if combined were obviously larger than Lithuanian ones, but only USA was able to engage in land battles. Great Britain lost huge numbers of ships and it’s capability to transport troops to mainland Lithuania was severely damaged. Now key mission of Lithuania was probably not to fight of US troops as quickly as possible as many could though, but to even more damage British navy. If second fleet would now destroy British ships near Moscow and later ones near Odessa, Great Britain would be lost approximately half of their navy in the war.
Just as Aukstaitis expected, phone rung – he just didn’t knew if this was Alisa Toraite wanting to tell about some journalists who wanted interview Aukstaitis, or someone on more serious purposes. Aukstaitis answered. It seems colonel Kristupas Paulauskas called, his voice wasn’t calm at all:
“Good evening… Mister president… I… I… What should I do now?”
“Don’t panic, we need calm heads at the government…” although president knewed colonel Paulauskas ussually wasn’t able to remain calm, he was quite a good choice for minister of defense position because of that – it was almost impossible that he would betray president in the way Jonaitis did “Just obey to my orders and everything will be OK again…”
“I… I understand… But I ask what your orders are…”
“No new orders, everything remains just as I told you before” Aukstaitis didn’t wanted to say important strategic orders on telephone because of possible listening by enemy intelligence “I shall tell more on junta meeting. Did you called everyone?”
“Yes, but… But where will the meeting take place? In your office?”
“No, it would be unsafe here…” president remained silent for several seconds, he was most likely thinking a place Paulauskas knowed so he could just tell him some clue instead of address “…Let’s do the meeting at the building where we all got drunk after overthrowing the government…”
“But it is now…” Paulauskas wanted to same something, but he was stopped by Aukstaitis:
“Not on telephone. I know that building and you know it. And all junta members also knows it, so don’t tell them adress but instead give them the same clue I gave you. This is a thing definitely nobody besides of us know, so we will have nothing to fear and will be able to talk about everything.”
“OK, I will tell that to the junta”
Aukstaitis stopped talking. He started looking to the city and thinking, probably about the tommorrow’s meeting. The place it was going to be held at was an abandoned house at the outskirts of Klaipeda, which once used to be a restaurant. Although enemy intelligence could dig that up, but it was almost impossible for them to get the info and put microphones at the place in just half a day remaining until the meeting. This meeting was going to be the first one after several years. Although Lithuania had no parliament or something like that and “junta” (people, who were the major supporters of the revolution) was the only such branch of government, Aukstaitis himself took more and more power into his hands in recent years. Also members of junta themselves weren’t such interested in governing anymore – most of them were already quite old, they wanted calm and peace and they were willing just to obey president’s orders and not raise their own opinion. President Donas Aukstaitis was the youngest member of junta also he unlike most other people there didn’t imagined the rest of life somewhere in country having good house, several cars and many maids. He had almost no spare time but he enjoyed that.
Aukstaitis turned on the TV. It seems it was the first time in several days International News Television showed not a destroyed Warwick. Some army trainings, probably US army, were being shown and reporter commented:
“News from the war: it seems the first minor battles were fought at Lithuanian/US border. Unlike most of people expected, Lithuania didn’t invaded American lands and instead taken up defensive positions in the hills near the boundary. Some US forces tried to invade, but were ambushed. Lihuanian sources claims they destroyed a brigade of troops and a battalion of tanks. American army admitted only the loss of soldiers, but not even whole brigade, but just 15 scouts. More news from the war – it seems British ships near Moscow were engaged by Lithuanian fleet. We will provide you a more detailed report on that once we will have more info” US army training site disappeared and instead Lithuanian Supreme Tribunal building was shown “today, after several hours, the case of supposed spy former Lithuanian minister of defense Jonas Jonaitis will be started. Judges will tell the sentence about 12 AM. Most of people around the world protests about such fast case and suggest Lithuanian Supreme Tribunal to search for more evidence. However, minister of justice Antanas Ruda told there is already enough evidence against Jonaitis”
Aukstaitis turned the TV off immidietly after last report and started calling Ruda. Minister of justice answered:
“Good evening president. How’s war?” Ruda always liked black humour, which sometimes weren’t even funny.
“Good evening. So the case on Jonaitis going to start soon?”
“Yes. After several minutes”
“Could you please tell the jury to vote for a maximum possible sentence?”
“OK, but… You once said you won’t interfere into the decitions of Supreme Tribunal”
“I know, I know… But sometimes it just has to be done. I think you should understand”
“Yes, I do” from the voice of Ruda it didn’t seemed he really understood
“Also just by the way – as you know, current time is very dangerous… There might be lots of tryings to spy us. I will talk more about preventing of this in the meeting tommorrow morning. But still be careful”
“I am always careful, sir”
President stopped talking. He went to bed and waited until television will broadcast the decition of Supreme Tribunal. Every major dection of it was always broadcasted live on national TV. Until then, he looked through the windows. Tommorrow was going to be very important day. Junta meeting at the morning, possible invasion to Odessa in the afternoon, putting first fleet back to water in the evening, also news on sea battles near Moscow, land battles on Lithuanian/American boundary, more air raids to Warwick. And, not only that, some major decitions had to be doe tommorrow. Like how to defend the almost undefended Lithuanian/American boundary in southern Cordabe, do or do not use planes to attack USA or start an offensive campaign against US positions or not. Aukstaitis expected to hear some suggestions from junta members in the meeting. Some of them were former (and some even current) military leaders after all.
Soon enough Aukstaitis was asleep, but he immidietly raised up when he heard something about the Supreme Tribunal. Grand Jury were already telling sentence. The juryman said:
“Today I, in the name of Supreme Court, Republic of Lithuania, Lithuanian people and the almighty God, announce the sentence for Jonas Jonaitis, who was accused of spying. We do consider him a criminal and sentence him with a maximum possible sentence – capital sentence, done by burning the criminal on fire in the main square of the capital city. The execution will start tommorow 5 PM”
Then TV showed Jonaitis’s face. He seemed to be trying to control himself, but he wasn’t able to do that. When guards started leading him to his cell, he cried. He didn’t looked like a fearless man anymore. Most of other people at the court also seemed to be quite shocked by a sentence, which, although permitted by a constitution, was not done for the last 10 years. Later however some people begun to clasp.
Aukstaitis turned off the TV and fell asleep while looking through the windows to the already sleeping city.

*to be continued*
Old October 7, 2002, 07:05   #34
Kampus majore
Chieftain

To be continued?

Old October 7, 2002, 12:31   #35
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Yes indeed Sonic to be continued but when, your public are waiting.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 11, 2002, 11:54   #36
Kampus majore
Chieftain

Hm, it seems Lithuania has been lost to the Ruthless Americans....