Old August 14, 2002, 17:06   #31
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't think anyone will be a peasant - first of all, positions should be given out only to those that will participate- NOT- to every person who is a citizen. We are left with plenty of good positions for everyone.

Lets take the city of Seeberg: pop 1, or two population points. Perhaps (I don't know exactly), the city is producing 3 food, 1 shield, 2 gold. that leaves 3 food, 1 shield, 2 gold. The city has nothing in it. As I see it, as far as distributing wealth, if we set 1gold=1 shield=2 food, then the total wealth is 4.5 gold. Now, this city can support 3 players: the Baron of Seeberg, who gets the production from outside the city limits: hes probably making just .5 gold.
The Governor of Seeberg, who collects from the city's production: 4 wealth, and a merchant in Seeberg, who is making zip. NOw, both the Merchnat and Baron would like to see major improvement to Seeberg- the Baron would like jungle cleared, mines built, roads built, to increase his wealth. The Merchant would like a temple or market built, to increase their wealth, and the governor is part of the gov, so they have a job to do.

Now, this system I propose has nothing to do with how people spend and what they can spend on, but it does tie people and their earnigs to the activity in the game.
Also, we could always institute other classes, like priests, who's wealth comes from happy faces from relegious buildings, and other sorts of specific things.

Lets say in 100 bc, Seeberg has a temple, connected to a road and we have 3 luxuries present, a market, barracks, pop. of 5., with the pop. working mainly grassland with roads and mines: So, figure 1 happy face from temple, 4 from luxuries, 12 food, 6 shield, 12 gold.

The Baron now makes 5 gold from food and 5 from shields, for a total of 10 gold.
The Merchant makes 6 gold from the bonus from market and 4 for the happy facesd from luxuries, for 10 also.
The priest (if any) makes 1 gold from his happy face.
The governor is still making 4 gold, or 5 if no priest.

Now, this would be the base earnings- corruption and taxes could then be figured in, as well as any earnigs from investments and so forth- again, this would be a system simply to figure out base earnings- has nothing to do with spending or anything else.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 14, 2002, 17:07   #32
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:03
Hint hint CIV3 ROLEPLAYING GAME

It was shot down a while ago (more just ignored).

We need a seperate game for this.
Old August 14, 2002, 18:22   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I don't know, I was thinking as all of the members involved would be Aristocrats. Each city has hundreds to thousands of citizens and the actual members make decisions and argue directions for our civilization. Reducing people to jobs in cities seems to be beneath them. I would enjoy the speculation and gambling on wild business ventures more entertaining.

Maybe, we could find some random #/event generator and could tie business/investment success results to that.
Old August 14, 2002, 20:25   #34
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i dont think it should be tied to the game as much as GePap said. waaay too complicated.

lets get a very SIMPLE system NOW then we EXPAND on it as we GO ALONG

what do you think? we could start it right now and it could be very simple (ministers, bussinessmen, reporters, the people) and we could make it bigger, better and more complicated as we go along.
Old August 14, 2002, 22:18   #35
Captain
King

Local Time: 01:03
Okay, back to basics then.

Things to decide for the C3DG Parallel "Economy" Game

1) What is the goal?

To accumulate wealth, and therefore status and good living - or in this case, a sense of satisfaction or just bragging rights. Hopefully, this will provide a good measure of fun in trying to achive this goal.

2) How do we achieve this goal?

By making sure our income is greater than our expenditure so that there is a net gain.

3) Where does this income come from?

Definitely NOT fixed "salaries" as it appears proposed. After all, something can't come from nothing. That is the equivalent of just printing money without a basis for it.

We would have to base our income on PRODUCTION of GOODs and SERVICES.

You cannot build a house without materials and labour. You cannot run a government without materials and labour. You cannot operate a business without materials and labour. Heck, you can't even "live" without materials and labour.

This then, is the basis for wealth (and income). Producing goods and services (G&S) that are useful to a) ourselves and b) others. In exchange, we receive G&S that we find more valuable. We also produce wealth when we take something (like logs) and transform it into something more useful/valuable (like a house). The invested labour produced something greater than the sum of its parts.

That is the basic concept of wealth-generation, that in the process of refining things by labour and exchange (comparative advantage), we have "more" than before. It is not a zero-sum game.

Therefore, our economy is based on the consumer and trade. We need consumers to purchase our goods, and producers to provide for our consumption. So we need* to be both.

4) Uh..., exactly how do we determine what Goods and Services we can produce?

Well, we could just make it up. But that would be boring and stupid. (ex. "Hey, I just built a billion homes in 1 turn in Tassagrad." )

In real life, there is scarcity/limitations. You can't build a billion homes in 1 turn, because you don't have the labour force required, and you don't have the materials. We are limited by what this world offers us. We can amplify the value of material things by our labour, but not create something ex nihilo. (And even labour is a finite resource, if you consider it work-energy expended which requires food and water. labour can be amplified by labour-saving devices like tractors, mills, etc... but those also require energy - coal, oil, hydro, animal, nuclear, etc...)

What do we base our available resources on? On the world that we live on, of course. And since we live in Apolytonia, we use that. To increase the value of our holdings, we need to develop Apolytonia, build it up. But to increase our available resources, we need to expand Apolytonia. (So hawks and doves are equally satisfied.)

So as a producer, let us assume first off that the only labour we have, is our own (or the group we represent as the owner/master). This can be amplified later as we develo the game further. But for now, is all the same. This "unit of labour" is what we use to refine GOODS and provide SERVICES.

Then we determine, how much material goods do we have access to? Well, I say that depends on where we live. Each person then needs to have a home city which gives them access to the tiles in that city's working radius. They can produce according to the tiles (for now, to start). We can work this out in more detail later but an example is that I own a plains tile near Apolyton. I can therefore produce 1 shield (construction material), 1 food, 1 commerce (fine merchandise). If I own the horses plains tile, then I can produce 1 horse too - which would count as a labour boost. If I owned a dyes tile, then I could produce 1 luxury. Get it?

5) Do we really need expenditures? Must we be consumers? Can't I just sell without buying?

Yes and no. We don't really have any needs, so we aren't a good set of consumers as we'll all be looking to sell things and make money, but no one looking to buy. So then, who "buys" our products if not us?

While consumers create demand for goods - including such "non-perishables" as housing since a house is only useful is someone can make use of it - we don't need to be the consumers (with mandatory expenditures) if we can find other consumers to provide that.

How do we do that, without arbitrarily making it up? You shouldn't be allowed to just say" I sold 20 million bananas" to a large population that doesn't exist. So we tie the market to the game. The population of the game in cities (heads) is tied to markets/consumption. This provides the base consumption. Then any expenditures/costs we have, is extra.

Example: X lives in del Monte. Produces perishable product Y. Sells to local market (2 heads in city, plus any citizens living there). Makes money in return. Is guaranteed sales to the 2 heads. Sales to citizens is gravy.

Problem: How to determine market share? If A, B, C, live in Del Monte, all selling the same thing, which will the 2 heads buy from? since they're not "real", they can't choose. Flip a coin?

We also need to determine what these "markets" are willing to give in exchange for our products. It can't be arbitrary. No selling bananas for billions of gold. Or trading 1 banana for a house. Demand price remains a problem since fictional markets can't make such decisions.

If we can't solve these 2 problems, then the only market is us.

6) Where is the challenge?

From optimizing your assets. Using what you have to improve your status. By taking advantage of opportunities, such as business deals, emerging "markets", exploiting "gluts" and monopolies, and lowering operating costs. among many other ways of enriching yourself.

---
(btw, that was also an encapsulation of real economics as I understand it. someone who studies it or works with it irl can correct me too.)
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Last edited by Captain; August 14, 2002 at 22:25.
Old August 14, 2002, 22:47   #36
Captain
King

just thought of this...

7) Government Taxation and Funding

Some services provided by citizens, such as ministers running the game and planning the improvement of our nation, judges hearing cases and ensuring justice and order, are services not "consumed" by specific individuals, but by the community at large. They are for the public good, and therefore, entitled to public funding.

But public funds don't come from nothing! As above, we agreed that wealth generation must be based on something "real", not arbitrary. By paying salaries without government income, that would be the equivalent to the government spontaneously creating money. Of course, the government must have income to fund its operating expenditures. This come from taxes.

I'll leave it to our new MoE, or an appointed C3DG-PEG (Parallel Economics Game) to figure out a tax formula.

---
Note: The something from nothing principle is the key factor in tying the PEG to the actual game. This is the most natural choice to provide a basis for an economy: resources, production, and markets taken from the game conditions. Since the game operates according to "fixed" rules, this is no longer arbitrary.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old August 14, 2002, 23:10   #37
Captain
King

Or... super simple (maybe so simple, it's dumb),

we go on a point system? services given to the forum, like writing articles, editing the paper, being a minister, judge, or even active citizen ( try defining that!) get points.

Anyways, I also thought instead of house size for status, you could rise "classes"...

like peasant/labourer -> small landowner -> townsman - > merchant -> landowner -> elder -> councilman -> mayor -> regent -> noble -> marquis -> duke -> prince -> ??

or something like that... this post is dumber than my previous two. i must be out of ideas for tonight.
Old August 15, 2002, 00:27   #38
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

This will be great if we can get it going.

If we have person A, B, and C all selling the same thing and two heads then we could use a computer program to decide who they buy from (I could write one in VB if anyone is interested).

As for costs and taxes we could either do it randomly for every city or we could design formulas for deciding taxes and what it costs to say build a house. We could even base tax rates on the current game sliders.

Sell your photos
Old August 15, 2002, 08:29   #39
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I still don't see the need to compute houses and stuff. Our members represent less than 5% of Apolotonias populations so we can just assume they're all part of the ruling class (which is appropriate for this age). As nobles we can all have an equal income representing the average tax revenue you would generate as a noble and we would spend/invest this money on projects to try to one-up the other nobles. Basically this would be a "game" amongst the noble citizens of Apolytonia.

We could determine products/services. Then we have a random number generated to determine the market demand that turn. Then we have a random number to determine how much of that market each competitor gets.

Each citizen should start there business in their home city and then pays a fee to enter a new city's market.

Proposed items:
Bananas
Weapons
Dyes
Horses
Old August 15, 2002, 12:49   #40
Captain
King

ESTATES!

there was the word I've been looking for!

I like GhengisFarb's idea that we're all "nobles", members of the aristocracy with many underlings. Since we make the laws and are essentially a "legislature" (some may disagree), and are so politically involved, it makes sense that we're already in control and have a certain initial wealth and power.

(*aside, this may mean that we're not a true democracy , only one where franchise is limited to nobles - so be it!)

Let us say that as a noble, your wealth is composed of holdings - the sum total of which we will call your Estate. This Estate will take care of itself - without you necessarily having to micromanage everything. You only have to step in when you want to do something MORE than maintain your Estate. So, the mroe you participate, the more opportunity to enrich yourself - but there's no guarantee you'll be successful . High risk, high gain. Low risk, low gain. Those who participate less, will not suffer, except that they may "lose out" in comparison to the more active.

(Sheik, if you can program some basic VB, that market share idea is good. We just have to determine a basic formula. Another side program to keep track of other things would help too.)

Since we're all nobles, we must all be landowners (traditionally according to history). Say that each participant "owns" a tile to begin with. They can expand their wealth from there, including purchasing new lands - generally from others. (Or from the government - which is a way the government can raise funds - conquer more lands, then sell them to highest bidders)

So...

1) Every participant claims a tile to represent their physical Estate. We'll need to figure out how to solve conflicts. You cannot claim a city centre tile as your estate (those are public lands, however you can have investments in the city).

2) The tile, or physical Estate, will be your prime holdings. From there, you can branch out into other businesses, namely in city centres.

3) You can produce certain products and services. Services might be more difficult to determine than products, but things we do on these forums that "contributes" can be counted as services. Products would be based on Civ 3 "products".

Tiles generally produce 3 things:
a) Food -> represents human energy, labour
b) Shields -> represents raw construction materials
c) Commerce -> represents low-grade generic merchandise

You can trade them for other things, including cash, if a market exists who wants your goods.

To improve your estate, you can trade any of these or stockpile any non-perishables (shields, commerce, cash) to certain limit. To improve your estate, you can also "construct" things, mainly buildings - using those shields. Simple enough eh?

But it isn't much fun to have an economy game where we only have three categories of generic goods! Construction materials? Merchandise? Food? Booooring!

Therefore, we should make an expanded list based on Civ3 and these tile ideas. All you need to do, is select a product to produce, based on what your tile limit allows you to. Otherwise, it's your choice.

Perhaps we could start like so (and expanding as our tech improves):

Quote:
(shields) Construction materials:
- Wood + energy -> lumber
- Stone + energy -> Dressed stone

(commerce) Merchandise:
low grade + energy -> higher grade

- trinkets -> widgets -> gadgets
- pottery -> porcelain
- furniture -> nicer furniture
- robes -> linens and togas -> royal robes
- papyrus -> paper -> stationary
- bows -> longbows
- spears -> pikes
- axes -> swords

(food) Energy/Labour:
at this time, all energy comes from human or animal labour, later, we can develop somthig to account for oil,coil, etc...

- food
- cattle (livestock)
- horses (workhorses) + energy -> warhorse?

Estate Improvements (in addition to stockpiled goods/cash)
- Cottage (a new tile with no former owner)
- Villa -> Manor -> Mansion -> Chateau -> Palace
- Silo (allows stockpiles food)
- Warehouse (raises stockpile limit for all else)
- Mill (labour saving device)

City holdings:
- Townhouse -> Mansion
- Shop -> Store (improves market share)
- Workshop -> Factory (higher grade merchandise)
- Guild

etc...
4) We also need to figure out the market. Here's a few simple formula:

#consumers = #heads in local area + other nobles

# units supplied = sum total of all units produced locally or imported

market factor = #consumers divided by # units supplied

price index = list of item: standard price for a 1:1 ratio
(example: food=1, wood=1, lumber=3...)

current price = price index * market factor

therefore, if more consumers than supply, price goes up. if more supply than demand, then price goes down.

So then.... what do you think? I've tried to incorporate many different people's ideas into a cohesive whole. Still needs work, of course...

Number one question: DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?
Number two question: should it be MORE or LESS complex? as Civ 3 players, we can handle complexity, but how much?

---
Note:
Does anyone seriously think that this would endanger our nation's prospects in the actual C3DG, because of this parallel economics game? I don't. Even if I had a major financial holdings based on certain tile improvements - and the Ministers want to change those tile improvements, I'm sure all my clamouring about how they're ruining my Estate won't change their minds one bit. It'll just add another layer of roleplaying fun. The newspaper will have more to write about. Just imagine the headlines "Government plan for heavy mining operation steamrolls local opposition" "Sheik Granaries suffer as fertile fields expropriated by heavy Industry advocates" "Dyes factory in Ninot's family for generations suddenly runs dry"

Besides, generally, improving the nation improves our wealth so there isn't any inherent conflict, though isolated exceptions can occur.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:52   #41
Captain
King

Example:

Bubba claims his tile as a forest square north of Seeburg.
No one else contests this, so it's his.

This is an unimproved forest tile, so zero commerce, two shields and one food.

Since he can't stockpile food, he may as well sell it and stockpile cash buy. Seeburg has 2 heads, but no other citizen supplier. However, the city produces 3 food (2 from the city tile itself), so supply is 3 and demand is 2. Therefore, the market factor is 0.67.
So he is able to sell his 1 food for $67 (assuming a base price index of $100/food). Now he has $67 and 2 shields. He decides not to sell his 2 shields right now, because he wants to build a house soon.

After several turns consistently selling food and stockpiling shields, he now has $670 and 20 shields. At this time, the population of Seeburg rises. There are 3 heads now. But the heads work the grassland tile. Making the total supply 5. Market factor (3/5) causes price to fall to $60.

Bubba decides to stop selling food (energy) and instead use that energy to start building his villa. Since it takes 1 energy to convert 1 shield into a part of his house, this turn he is able to construct 1/20th of his home. Next turn, he wises up.

He now has 1/20th of a villa, 21 shields, and $670. Duh! I don't want this to take another 19 turns to build! And I don't need to stockpile any more shields! I have more than enough. So he decides to SELL his two shields. There are again, 3 heads. Assuming the total supply is 4 (2 from him, 1 from city centre, 1 from special grassland), the market factor is 3/4 =- 0.75. Since he has 2 units, he sells it for $150 (assuming a base price index of $100/shield). He ALSO HIRES some labourers. There are three heads there. He wants all of them.

No one else is hiring (since he is the only noble of Seeburg), so he only has to pay the current market rate of $75 per head- since 1 head gives 1 energy and that costs $75 (3 food demand divided by 4 food supplied). Total of 3 x $75 = $225.

Out of this, he gets 4 labour (himself + 3 heads) at a net cost of $75 per turn ($225-$150 from selling shields). House completed in 5 turns. A house built entirely this way would cost $375 in labour, 20 shields, and take 5 turns. Leaving him with a villa and $295 (670-375).

Alternatively, he could continue to sell his food, which would cause energy prices to fall to $60 (3/5 instead of 3/4), and then hire the labourers back for 3x$60=$180. Subtract his revenue from the shields sold and we have a $30 cost per turn. But he has only 3 workers, not himself (or rather his estate workers, since he has sold their food/energy/labour). Therefore, the house will take 7 turns, with him firing one labourer on the last turn.
This gives a total cost of $150. ($30x7 turns - $60 saved on last turn). 7 turns, $150 and 20 shields, leaving him with a villa and $520. Much cheaper, but takes longer. Of course, you pay a premium when you rush build!

Or, he could do all the work himself, earn $150 a turn for 20 turns. Leaving him at the end with villa that cost him nothing but his own labour and $3670. Seems best? Not necessarily, remember this is twenty turns later, as opposed to 5, or 7. That means the turns saved in building the villa, 15 or 12 turns, could have been used in another business venture, possibly making Bubba even wealthier than otherwise.

At any rate, Bubba finally finishes his villa. He holds a great week-long celebration for friends and family at great cost, but think of the house-warming gifts . After all is said and done, Bubba thinks of his next business venture. Perhaps he will invest in the city itself. But before he can do anything, tada! The government wants property tax! They take $100!

Bubba writes his congressman in protest... waitaminnit! He is a noble! He protests in the legislature himself with great passion. But, they pay him no heed. Therefore, he takes his remaining money, and finds a weapons maker. He pays GengisFarb for all available weapons, hires some mercenaries, and goes to burn down the Taxman's house.

Now, assume Bubba had earlier petitioned for a road to his estate. Therefore, he would have 1 commerce. This merchandise could have been traded for additional income or for other goods. The exchange rate to the "heads" depends on the market factor and price index.

All the above assumes no other nobles are trying to move in on him. If desirable, Bubba could have tried hiring other nobles (not the actual noble, just their estate workers) to provide extra labour. Since these other nobles know that Bubba has hired all the available local workers, they will charge a premium to send their workers to help Bubba (in essence, Bubba is paying higher prices in exchange for other noble's food). Nobles with high food production can afford to rent out labour and also do their own thing too. Exchanges between nobles depends only on what the nobles agree too. They can do so at lower than market prices if they wish, if they are feeling generous.

Too complex?
Old August 15, 2002, 14:03   #42
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

This is getting good. Land improvements are better than owning shares in the actual city, though. I still don't quite understand all of it. I need an instruction manual for the mini game now.

What are the hot keys again?

Seriously, who is going to manage this thing? That is going to be some work.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 15, 2002, 14:57   #43
Captain
King

yeah, i know its complex.

i'm trying to think of ways to simplify it, without making it boring.

do you have any specific suggestions?

I figure we can set up a spreadsheet to calculate all the local markets, demand, supply, and prices.

To keep it simple, only products within the same category compete with each other. Since there are initially only 3 categories (shield, commerce, food), it shouldn't be too hard to track. This doesn't mean you can't think up your own product and roleplaying stuff like that, just that if its in the same category and similar to someone else's product, then you'll have competition.

Later on, if we feel up to it, more categories can be added. Like specific resources.
Old August 15, 2002, 15:06   #44
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

As long as it lets me and my staff get paid for the Gazette.

This really is looking good now, though. Few notes, though:

Can people own more than ONE tile? This would give an advantage to those who got early good producing tiles. We need to make it as fair as possible as well. I like tying in resources. Maybe wood only comes from jungle and forest squares to give their owners a more even field since the actual square is less productive?

If someone can manage this, I will sign up. We really should have started this from the beginning. Would have been great.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 15, 2002, 16:30   #45
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Just for a base (open to ammendment as good ideas come forward)

RAW RESOURCES
Ore (Shields)
Iron (Shields from tiles with the Iron resource)
Horses (Shields form tiles with the Horse resource)
Timber (Shields from jungle or forest)
Dyes (Currency from tiles with the Dye resource)

REFINED RESOURCES
Metal Goods (refined from Ore by Smithy)
Armaments (refined from Iron by Armory)
Leather Goods (refined from Horses(Cattle) by Tanner)
Lumber (refined from Timber by Lumber Mill)
Fabric Goods (refined from Dyes by Weaver)

OTHER BUSINESS
Shipyards (requires lumber)
Fishery (Requires ships, whales, and/or fish)
Market (Requires finished goods)
Trading Company (produces exotic stuff like tea and cocoa)

Basically we could have some sort of random # generator that determines demand and price per Economic Turn (may not necessarily want to restrict our turns to the game turns - possible set a time once every week or every other week to conduct and compute business) based on each product.

We could have some base products to have a more stable price and some exotics to have wildly fluctuating prices.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 15, 2002 at 16:38.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:43   #46
Captain
King

GhengisF, demand and price can't be entirely random. Otherwise, how will anyone be able to be a good businessman? Then wealth generation won't be a question of any skill, but just luck of the draw. That would be like playing civ 3 and having every battle be rock-paper-scissors, and instead of building stuff by accumulating shields, there's just a random chance a temple will spontaneously appear.

Demand and market price must have a basis somewhere. There can be some randomness to it, but there must be some base value reflecting certain conditions. Those conditions must also not be entirely in our control, or that would be too easy.

We could create an aggregate market, based on the population of the civ game (very easy to find out) - or some formula based on happy/content/sad faces. Market demand would be regular for staples (such as food) and more volatile for exotic goods (like dyes?), as you say.

But I totally agree that we need not restrict ourselves to game turns.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:12   #47
Captain
King

Determining DEMAND
Local Demand:

System LD1:
Quote:
Depends on local market (made up of the city "heads", city production, city commerce) plus resident nobles. Each noble decides for himself what he wants so the below only applies to the "fictional" market.

Food demand: 1 per head

Shield demand: Equal to city shield output

Commerce demand: Equal to city commerce output

Simple enough? If the demand exists, then you have someone to sell your food/shields/wares to. Other nobles living nearby could be an extra customer (more demand) or a competitor (another supplier). This would affect your profit of course.

This allows for market growth and some fluctuation. This is my first choice.
System LD2:
Quote:
Happy citizens want 2 food, 2 shields, 2 commerce.
Content citizens want 1 food, 1 shields, 1 commerce.
Unhappies don't want to buy anything from you.

Happier cities have more demand. This is very simple, but ultimately unsatisfactory, in my view.
Aggregate Demand:

Alternatively, we could do away with the idea of local markets (cool as it may be) and assume just 1 aggregate economy.

System AD1:

Quote:
Food demand: Equal to total population of all cities.

Shield demand: Equal to total production of all cities.

Commerce (wares) demand: Equal to total commerce in all cities.
System AD2:

Quote:
The same idea as LD2, basing it on citizen happiness, except counting all the citizens together as forming one, national market.
Assume we can not yet sell to foreign markets. We'll work that out later.

---
Note: since there are so few females present, i hope noone minds that I only use the male pronouns
Old August 15, 2002, 21:12   #48
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Sounds like a really good and fun dea, but I get a headache from even thinking about it . If it were simple enough, I'd participate, but if it's as hard to understand as it seems to be, then I don't think I can deal with it .

As a sidenote, maybe all the important formulas could be coded into javascript and posted on a web page... that might just work unless the formulas are really really really weird and complex...

Just a few thoughts...

-- adaMada
Old August 15, 2002, 21:27   #49
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
We could have some base products to have a more stable price and some exotics to have wildly fluctuating prices.
For, example (I'll use dice to represent the random number generation)

Each city rolls a die to determine their contribution to the demand for a specific good:
Each Town contributes 1d6
Each City contributes 2d6
Each Metropolis contributes 4d6

More stable goods would replace the d6 with d2+2, this way we have some stable markets, like grain and lumber, and some VERY speculative markets like cocoa and spices.

Demand Possibilities:
1d6 Very speculative(1-6)
d4+1 Somewhat speculative(2-5)
d2+2 Speculative(3-4)

The very speculative goods have the greatest possibility for higher profits but also have the greatest possibility of lower profits.
Old August 15, 2002, 22:26   #50
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Brilliant

Sell your photos
Old August 16, 2002, 05:44   #51
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:03
Over my dead body!
Absolutely no dies whatsoever.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 16, 2002, 13:39   #52
Captain
King

Long, but easy-to-understand STEP-BY-STEP Intro "Manual"

1) Goal?
To generate wealth by increasing the value of your Estate holdings.

2) WTF is an Estate? speak english!

Your Estate represents everything you own, control, or have a share in (we call these assets). It also represents your ability to earn revenue/income with will increase the value of your holdings (assets).

3) How?

By trading products and services your Estate provides, for cash or products or services that you want.

4) I know what cash is, but what are products and services?

There are three product categories, food (energy), shields (raw building materials), commerce (merchandise).

I don't know how to define services yet.

5) Uh... so how do I make these products?

Each participant will start off being given a tile to represent their land. Your land tile will produce food, shields, and commerce. Since you're on a civ 3 site, you damn well better know what these are! So pick a good tile to start! In the future you *may* be able to acquire more land (more tiles, and therefore more production).

5.5) Wait... you're going too fast! How do we decide who gets what tile? What if two or more of us want the same one?

You'll all get a set amount of cash at the start to purchase lands. All lands will be assessed with certain base values. If you compete, the land will go to the highest bidder. If you buy less valuable land, you'll have leftover cash. Right now we have hundreds of tiles and I doubt we'll get that many starting participants, so no worries about being left out.

The only tiles you're NOT allowed to own are city tiles. Those are public lands and tiny individual city properties owned by townspeople. As a noble, your Estate is always giant pieces of land, outside the city. You can, however, have City Interests - but we'll deal with that later.

6) So.. I have this tile that makes products, but how do I trade for it? Who do I trade with?

You sell to the market, and buy from the market. As long as there is someone who wants your product, you can sell it. Otherwise, you're stuck with it. You can stockpile your product if it is non-perishable.

7) Okay, but what is the market?

The market is composed of the other players and a fictional market base that is linked to the game.

Market Base demand will depend on certain factors.
Each head of population wants 2 food (just like Civ 3).
The total shields produced indicate the demand for shields.
The total commerce produced indicates the demand for commerce.

Demand from other players, will depend on other players!

8) Alright, but what are the exchange rates? What determines prices for selling and buying?

Well, from the other players... you arrange that between yourselves.

As for the Market Base price, that depends on Supply and Demand.

9) I know what Demand is, we figured that out in #7, but what determines supply?

Simple. Just like demand, supply will be composed of the supply provided by the other players (nobles) who are selling at the time and the fictional Supply Base - which is linked to the game.

How is it linked? Think of it this way. All the production of food, shields, and commerce in Apolytonia comes from tiles. Your tile contributes to this whole, as do the tiles of the other nobles. Any unclaimed tiles (which will always at a minimum be equal to the # of city centre tiles), will be outside noble control and form the basis for supply.

Occasionally, some buildings in Apolytonia amplify the production (like marketplaces, banks, factories, harbours...). These are called City Interests, and if you want to partake in the profits they realize through this amplification process, you need to invest in them. But we'll leave that to another post.

Still with me? Good!

10) Yup! So far, so good... but what if we're competing for the same market? Duke Nukem is selling 1 unit of grain on the market and Count Chocula is also selling 1 unit of grain. But there's only demand for 1 unit of grain. Who gets to sell?

Whoever sells at a lower price, of course. We will assume that the two units of grain are the same for this purpose.

When your supply competes against the basic supply coming from the unownable city tiles, you will always lose. Market Base Demand comes from the city populations and it meets its own demand with the Supply Base first. The only time you'll be able to sell to the Market Base, is when Market Base Demand is outstripped by the Supply Base.

Since shield base demand = total shields in game, and shield base supply = shields produced by city tiles, you will always be able to sell shields since the difference comes from shields from your tiles. The same goes for commerce (merchandise).

But food... well, if the population is growing, then food supply will be higher than demand. The city supply is small (2 fd) so there will always be demand for some outside food. Therefore, some nobles will be able to sell their food, but not all.

You can always sell to other nobles (players) if they are willing.

11) What about quality? Surely quality counts?

Of course, but we're not able to make things that complex, yet. Namely, even if one sells a higher grade of grain, we have no simple way of determining whether the market will choose high grade or low grade, based on price. If they had money for both, they might buy both, but grain is still grain. After eating enough, why would they want to unnecessarily buy more? Advertising could help... but we can't go there yet. Let's keep it simple for now.

12) I thought of a problem. Why would any of the other nobles buy anything, or choose not to sell? They would always sell, so this game would just turn into whoever has the best land wins. That's dumb!

Right. There has to be a reason for the nobles to sometimes choose to BUY, or stockpile, instead of just selling everything for cash. After all, what good is money if it's not there to be spent? If you hide your gold in the ground and someone steals it, why be sad? It wasn't doing you any good anyways...you may as well have had a rock there instead.

13) Hah! So I'm right! But what's the solution?

We need products and things the nobles will want to purchase, or money will just acculumate and do nothing interesting. We need things they value more highly than that they are producing, or else they won't trade - they'll just stockpile. We need a form of wealth-generation, a way of adding value. Economists call this VALUE-ADDED.

14) Value-added... okay, that makes sense. How do we do that?

Wait for the next post and I'll tell you.

Last edited by Captain; August 16, 2002 at 14:50.
Old August 16, 2002, 14:12   #53
Captain
King

15) Wait, go back a second. Can you make the supply-demand thing easier to understand?

Yes. Here we go.

FOOD Supply = Food from player tiles + Food from non-player tiles + Food from City Centre tiles

FOOD Demand = Food demanded by players + Food demanded by townspeople (2 per head)

If Supply > Demand:

Townspeople always buy from city centre first (they don't like us greedy nobles). Since the city centre can never meet all their demands, they must buy the rest from us.

Lowest price wins.

If Demand > Supply:

Townspeople always get city-centre supply first.

Then, highest bidder wins for the remaining supply.

16) How about an Example?

Say our country has a total of 30 heads (added up from 12 cities) and ten players (nobles owning estates). The nobles don't need any food (we assume they meet their own basic food requirements off their own estate, and that the food they produce is surplus).

So our demand is 30x2=60 units of food.

We have 12 cities, each producing 2 food. So the Supply Base is 12x2=24 units of food. Since the townspeople like to encourage local business, they buy this first.

The remaining demand is then 60-24 = 36 units of food.

Five nobles have irrigated grassland, and five have forests/hills. So supply is 3x5+ 1x5 = 20 units of food.

There is a shortfall. You may be confused as the population is growing, but remember that there are also other unclaimed tiles that are producing food (at least 30 tiles are being worked). However, since these tiles have no owner, they can't compete in the market. They are generally automatic losers. However, leaving the nobles with absolutely no competition would allow crazy prices that the townspeople would have no choice in paying. If we allow 10 times normal, why not 100? or 100000?

So we cap it at the ratio of demand to supply times the normal price. (in this case, take 36 divided by 20, giving you an inflated price of 180%). Pretend the unowned tiles (otherwise automatic losers) sell at this inflated price, so if you sell equal or lower, they'll buy from you first.

Now, let's assume there are only 20 citizens. Demand is 40 units. 12 cities giving 24 food leaves only 16 food remaining. Now, supply exceeds demand. Remember that any unowned tiles will automatically cut their prices according to the Demand:Supply ratio (16:20 = 80%). Nobles who cut prices further will win out.
Simple enough?

Last edited by Captain; August 16, 2002 at 14:18.
Old August 16, 2002, 14:39   #54
Captain
King

17) Wait, what about shields and commerce? arne't those treated differently?

Only in determining Demand. The Supply function is the same.

Let's use the same example as above. First, shields.

12 Cities. Total production is found to be 35 shields, of which, 12 come from the City Centres themselves, meaning that the remaining 23 shields must come from the land (assuming no waste, and no factories to amplify shields).

The five nobles with irrigated grassland have no shields. The others have, say, 3 forests, 1 mined hills, and 1 hills-> for a grand total of 3x2+3+1 = 10 shields.

Demand > Supply. Ratio is 23:10, meaning that the default price (selling price of shields from the unowned tiles) is 230% normal. Since demand>supply, you can always sell equal to this amount and be guaranteed a buyer. Now, if a player wants to buy instead of sell... well, they need someone willing to sell to them. This will usually be at the 230% mark, but maybe a friend (another player) will give a better deal, out of generosity.

Now, let's say that changing circumstances leads the government to switch which tiles are being used, so that production drops to 20 shields from 35. Again, 12 shields are provided by the city centres, so 8 remain.

Now demand< supply, so the default price goes to 8:10 = 80%. The nobles who sell at less will be able to sell first. Once 8 shields are sold, no more will be bought.

18) Wait, what about Waste and Corruption?

Well, considering that waste and corruption reduce the total production demand, this negatively affects selling prices (as it should). Think of the "waste" as a blackmarket offering cheap shields that reduces demand for your legitimate shields.

19) What about production and commerce boosts provided by things like marketplaces and factories?

Simple. They increase production demand (total shields), right? So they improve the market demand for your shields.

But... more shields are produced than are supplied. Where do these phantom shields come from?

Well, they are a "product" of improved efficiency due to labour-saving devices and human innovation, such as the factory. (Or for commerce, the marketplace, or bank).

This leads us to the idea of City Interests. But I'll leave that for the "Advanced Manual".

20) I think it's time you told us about Value-Added.

No. It'll have to wait. I got to go.
Old August 16, 2002, 15:36   #55
jdd2007
NationStates
King

wow, it seems complex, but is almost simple. so...

Questions.

1) all we do is manage grains and commerce and shields?

2) wheres the fun in that?

3) how do we factor in ministers, presidents, reporters and companies like skywalkers? [surely, they have a part in RP]

4) will there be a 4th commodity [besides grain, commerce and shields] like the gold coin or 'lyton.' this way, ministers and reporters dont need land to have wealth.

5) a. so everyone keeps track of their own wealth?
b. would any people be needed to just keep track of all trading?

6) how would you factor in homes without making the system to complex?

Comments.

1) i like captains plan, if he can answer the above questions

2)i sincerely hope this will be seperate from the game (to a point)

3)a list of current occupations-
-Nobles
....landowner
-Government Officials
....President and Vice-President
....Ministers
....(historian?)
-other
....reporters
....party leaders?
....speakers?

4) nobles should have more than one tile, but a limit should be made on the number of tiles one noble can own in one city.

5) i gtg
Old August 16, 2002, 15:58   #56
Captain
King

jdd,
1) not all. that's just the core.

2) again, it's only the starting point, but should be fun enough for now. why?

- the initial bids for land will be a fun "auction"
- you play against other players, friendly competition is always fun
- you get to watch your Estate grow
- remember, you can stockpile resources, and sell at other times too... so the market will be more dynamic than I've described
- you can buy more land too!
- no limit on # of tiles on noble can own means you should try to prevent each other from obtaining a strangehold on a city

- we haven't decided on local/regional vs national markets, I used national markets for simplicity, but local markets would be even more dynamic and fun

later we'll add things like:
- special resource supplies, like dyes, ivory, etc...
- City Investments
- gambling!

3) Ministers will go through the estate bids just like everyone else. They'll get a salary on top of that though, paid for, of course, by taxes.

4) yes, the 4th basic "commodity" is cash.

5)
a) why not? people can be trusted, i hope. but it is simple to verify as changes won't happen that frequently.
b) depends...

6) we'll create a building listing for reference, that will be the commodity -> building conversion. make sense?

ex. if shields are cheap, building a home will be cheap. if shields go up, housing value will too, since people may find it easier to buy a house than to build it themselves. only thing is, buildings don't move, so you'd have to sell your land with it, unless your buildings are in the City itself.

i'll get to the rest of the comments later...
Old August 16, 2002, 19:33   #57
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Over my dead body!
Absolutely no dies whatsoever.
I said "for example" as if I started writing code many members wouldn't have understood. It was just a suggestion anyway and it doesn't look like anyone liked the idea.........
Old August 16, 2002, 21:46   #58
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
jdd,
1) not all. that's just the core.

2) again, it's only the starting point, but should be fun enough for now. why?

- the initial bids for land will be a fun "auction"
- you play against other players, friendly competition is always fun
- you get to watch your Estate grow
- remember, you can stockpile resources, and sell at other times too... so the market will be more dynamic than I've described
- you can buy more land too!
- no limit on # of tiles on noble can own means you should try to prevent each other from obtaining a strangehold on a city

- we haven't decided on local/regional vs national markets, I used national markets for simplicity, but local markets would be even more dynamic and fun

later we'll add things like:
- special resource supplies, like dyes, ivory, etc...
- City Investments
- gambling!

3) Ministers will go through the estate bids just like everyone else. They'll get a salary on top of that though, paid for, of course, by taxes.

4) yes, the 4th basic "commodity" is cash.

5)
a) why not? people can be trusted, i hope. but it is simple to verify as changes won't happen that frequently.
b) depends...

6) we'll create a building listing for reference, that will be the commodity -> building conversion. make sense?

ex. if shields are cheap, building a home will be cheap. if shields go up, housing value will too, since people may find it easier to buy a house than to build it themselves. only thing is, buildings don't move, so you'd have to sell your land with it, unless your buildings are in the City itself.

i'll get to the rest of the comments later...
ok. great.
Old August 17, 2002, 00:22   #59
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I assume anyone willing to charge for anything can do so ?
A stupid example : if citizen #123 becomes a professional seer, he could charge other players for telling them their future ? (as long as the others are willing to pay)
Such a service economy will be great for our nation, and will integrate very well in Captain's model : basically, Captain's model shows a way to get money semi-automatically, to afford such services. In this case, we'll have very involved people wh'll get very rich (because they'll work on plenty of things and will charge for them), and less involved people would still be able to buy
Old August 17, 2002, 01:08   #60
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

----------------------Investing in public buildings ?-------------
BTW, I don't think private owners need to invest in a public building (marketplace, harbor etc.) to profit from it. Indeed, the state often builds infrastructure which will boost economy. The state does so instead of private actors because no private actor would have interest in investing in it individually (economists call that "externalities")

By the same token, a road / irrigation built on one of your tiles would be free of charge, but would benefit you, like it profit the whole nation. By "free of charge", I don't count corruption fees

--------------------------Trasnaction management---------------------------
About the "Transaction manager" issue, maybe we should allow people to become "Bankers" (I know it's too early). I mean, there are people who manage transaction for a small fee. This way, more people will be interested in doing this timetaking job.

Since we'll probably have corruption, all transactin shouldn't be opened to public. Instead, I think people should PM their transaction orders to their bankers, who keep track of their fortune. People would also post their transactions publicly in the banker's thread.

For example, let's say Davout and GoodFella are bankers. I want to give 2 Lytons to Captain, and we both are in Davout's bank.
Since my transaction has nothing to be ashamed of, I post in the "Davout's Apolytonian Bank" thread, and Davout acknowledges, and modifies our accounts : he has an excel table of some sort on his hard drive. Instead of debiting me 2 Lytons (the transaction amount), he debits me 2 Lytons and 10 Apos (the bank fee). Captain still gets 2 Lytons only. Davout became richer by 10 Apos.

Now, the example of Jdd2007 (from GoodFella's bank) wanting to pay me 1 Lyton : he advises GoodFella of the transaction, publicly or not. He tells GoodFella I'm from Davout's bank.
GoodFella reduces Jdd's account accordingly (1 Lyton + bank fees) and tell Davout to raise my account by 1 Lyton.

This was purely an example : as I picture it, bankers will charge as much as they want, and provide the services they want. No need to put strict rules now.

Simple verison of the bankers' idea :
- You tell the banker your transaction, via the forum or PM
- He does everything (adjusting your account and your partner's account)
- He takes a small charge.
End of the simple version.

------------------------Protection against cheats and errors--------------
However, to avoid errors or cheating, fortunes should be held public at all times. Also, it's possible to have an account in one bank only (but it's possible to switch from a bank to another)

This system might sound impracticable, because it's complex... But we'll need someone to keep track of transactions if we don't want to risk errors or cheating, and giving these people a financial interest is probably the best thing to do.
I know our early currency system should allow us to trade peer to peer, without anyone watching over. But we're not talking about true, hard metal coins. We're talking about virtual numbers which can get as big as you can say. Since cheating is sooooo easy without control, it's very possible some of us do cheat, for various reasons.

You could say : "let's just have all transactions and all fortunes held public at all times. People will manage their fortune on their own". That would be a simple and extremely efficient solution.
But it forbids any secret transaction, and thus any corruption. Better for the integrity and efficiency of the game, but worse for its overall flavor IMO (what if we had an entirely corrupt administration ? )

Here's very common corruption possibility : a worker is assigned to work around Napoleton. There are 2 rival landowners there, and each one has an unroaded grassland tile. The PW minister has no reason to prefer one over another : there is no deciding factor into roading tile 1 first, rather than tile 2. What do you think will be the deciding factor eventually ?

Last edited by Spiffor; August 17, 2002 at 01:20.