Old August 14, 2002, 13:46   #1
Dukovsky
Settler

Local Time: 06:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
FirePower is Great, But Mobility is Better
In the First Age, you will notice if you are a warmonger, that you can build archers with militralistic civs, but, the flip side of this is that, "How long will it take for them to get to an enemy civ?" This is often a problem, and very much when playing on large maps and only 7 enemies, they are often wide a part. So, just making a mass of archers is still a "okay" stratagy but, takeing the time to research horesmen could be A LOT better. For example, I played a map against the Persians, I knew the persains could make the their special swordsman and beat me, so, making archers would have been bad, because it would take one turn to aproach the city, and one turn to attack, by then, their swordsman could have torn up a defending spearman, so, I made horseman and attacked one movepoint, and ran back the next, and if an enemy swords man aproached from two dirrection, I could run off and leave both behind me, one tile away, this would have ment sure death for a archer/spearman devision who can move but ounce. Another example, the knight, the deadlist thing till calvary, it's speed is prodominatly what makes it so affective like the horsemen, because of that, it can out run foot soldiers who would overhwlem him, and get away.But, it's attack also makes him a deadly thing. And the honorable calavry, it's THREE MOVEMENT gives it a slight advantage over tanks. (except for German Panzers of course) The calvaryy speed makes it adept at retreating when in the face of a mass of units like the knight which only has two movement. Until the development of modern armoure, nothing has more speed, calvary is argueably one of the best all-civ unit, noteably its speed and 6 attack.(And the missconception that calvary can not win against rifdlemen is totaly wrong, only when infantry are developed are they completly obsalete. And finaly, the Modern armore, able to leap from battle to battle, though you may not use it very much because it is in modern age and by then expert players have already assured victory, but, it is still a good unit, with 26 attack, capable of defeating the Mech Infantry and other defenders. well, that is what I know, please right to me if you have any comments.!!.!! Ien Kouf
Old August 14, 2002, 13:53   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:06
I wish the mobility VS firepower was better represented in Civ. All mobility is good for is a chance to retreat (which can be good, but you can't count on it, and there's no way to control it), and move a little further... in reality, mobility was much more important for evading damage, outflanking (which is useless in Civ, but one of the most important techniques in the history of battle), and simply gaining and holding a tactical advantage.

All of the more important fine tactical considerations have been ignored in Civ.
Old August 14, 2002, 14:45   #3
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
3 movement points is big. You can attack cities deeper into their territory. I find this very useful when you're trying to rapidly take out an AI. If your a Democracy or have a lot of captured citizens from your opponent, ending a war a turn early can be helpful.

Calvary are not completely useless against infantry. You just need to throw a lot of them at infantry to win battles. I will typically (if I'm mass producing tanks) gather all of my Calvary and use there extra movement point to take a city I couldn't reach with tanks. Its a noble last hurray for the mighty horse.

You can even get GL's if you attack in the correct order.
Old August 14, 2002, 15:24   #4
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 23:06
That's why I consider the Mounted Warrior and the Panzer to be the most powerful UUs, especially the Panzer with its blitzing ability .
Old August 14, 2002, 16:46   #5
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
That's why I consider the Mounted Warrior and the Panzer to be the most powerful UUs, especially the Panzer with its blitzing ability .
Don't forget the Rider (China's 3 movement Knight) that is timed well for a Middle Ages GA.

Stupid Question, but what is blitzing ability?
Old August 14, 2002, 16:50   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Blitz gives you the ability to attack the number of times you have movement points. So a regular tank without blitz could attack 1 time, but a German Panzer with blitz could attack 3 times in one turn.
Old August 14, 2002, 17:08   #7
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 23:06
Normal tanks have blitz ability, too. They can only attack twice as opposed to Panzer's three attacks.

Riders don't have the blitz ability, meaning the extra movement point can only used for improved mobility.
Old August 14, 2002, 17:45   #8
Jon Shafer

I know, I was just making an example to explain how blitz works.
Old August 14, 2002, 18:20   #9
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 00:06
we all know the battle system in civ3 is screwy.
i really liked the ctp2 battle system... it not only allowed you to stack up to 12 units, but you can attack with stacks of different units, and puts flanking units on the side, range in back. of coarse stacks of regular units like warriors would fight 1 on 1 battles, but if you had flanking units it would help your warriors and ranged units would deal damage to. this would mean that 2 warriors against 3, i warrior on the 3 side would be simply waiting, but if it was flanking it could be fighting also. the system worked almost perfectly, no pikemen beating interceptors (at least in ctp2). of course this will only work if you manage to play the game for at least 5 minutes without it crashing (a very rare occation).

i wish civ3 was like this....