Old August 14, 2002, 17:13   #1
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Extra Pack (alpha): My first game as the Vikings and bugs
Hi Wernazuma, is it OK that I use this thread for experiences/bugs?

As you know I'm playing as the Vikings. I chose huge map, 16 civs (including all of the new ones) like you wrote. I set civ specific abilities to on, and used random settings for the map geography.

I started in a land down south with no rivers.
My closest neighbor is the Hebrews. There was no problems talking to king David, but I think he looked a little stony (that's alright if you can't find a better picture of him). The Turks also live on my island, the leaderhead looks fine, they seem to be quite expansionist in cities.

The Dutch beat me to the Great Library and all my shields were lost.
But when I got mapmaking from a trade with the Ethiopeans I started building the Viking UU, the Drakkar. It looks great and is a very nice unit to have on an islands map. I used the Drakkars long 'range' to reach the Dutch as the first civ, and I did some trading with Willem. He looks fine.

I have played to 670 AD, and I'll continue tomorrow.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 14, 2002, 17:20   #2
Hagbart
Prince

The bugs!
The game runs fine, I've had no lockups or errors, but I've seen a few bugs so far:

The Vikings should be called 'The Vikings' instead of just 'Vikings'.
It says in the foreign screen:
King Knut of Vikings.
BTW: I thought his name was Knud, atleast in Danish it is. I think you should change it to Knud as he was Danish.
Proof: viking.no/e/people/e-knud.htm

Then there is the Viking city list. It could be better. I'll do some research tomorrow and post a suggestion to improve it.

The civilopedia about the Drakkar could be improved. Is Drakkar the same as longboat?

The Khmer leader looks like the head of an old statue, could we get a better picture?

The Polish leader is called 'something (can't remember) the Great', when you end a game and gets the score you will get a title, so maybe he will be 'something the Great the Weak'. It is not a big bug.

Now I forgot the last bugs... I'll post more tomorrow.

Edit: Additions

Last edited by Hagbart; August 14, 2002 at 17:37.
Old August 15, 2002, 09:27   #3
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Re: The bugs!
Quote:
[The Vikings should be called 'The Vikings' instead of just 'Vikings'.
It says in the foreign screen:
King Knut of Vikings.
It must do the same with Chinese et al., because they have only "Chinese" and not "the Chinese", so I keep it that way.

Quote:
BTW: I thought his name was Knud, atleast in Danish it is. I think you should change it to Knud as he was Danish.
Proof: viking.no/e/people/e-knud.htm
Changed.

Quote:
The civilopedia about the Drakkar could be improved. Is Drakkar the same as longboat?
I think so. However, if you can come up with a better one, I'll change the Civilopedia

Quote:
The Khmer leader looks like the head of an old statue, could we get a better picture?
Not if we want to have a picture of Jayavarman VII. I've looked in the internet, but couldn't find any better picture.

Quote:
The Polish leader is called 'something (can't remember) the Great', when you end a game and gets the score you will get a title, so maybe he will be 'something the Great the Weak'. It is not a big bug.
You're right. Changed.

Last edited by Wernazuma III; August 15, 2002 at 09:33.
Old August 15, 2002, 14:07   #4
Hagbart
Prince

Viking city list
After reasearching a number of hours, I've redone the viking city list. Nearly all the cities in the old list are used, I just corrected spelling error, added a few and rearanged the order:

Trondheim
Uppsala
Hedeby
Skiringssal
Birka
Roskilde
Oslo
Visby
Ribe
Kaupang
Sigtuna
Lejre
Nidaros
Jomsborg
Reykjavik
Jelling
København
Borg
Aarhus
Stockholm
Trelleborg
Hladir
Viborg
Jarlshof
Odense
Skara
Kalmar
Jorvik
Tønsberg
Fyrkat
Kvivik
Sandur
Holar
Thingvellir
Nonnebakken
Hvarf
Lindholm
Holmgård
Risby
Hlymrekur
Jarrow
Dyflinn
Ravning Enge
Torshavn
Lund
Bergen
Vorbasse
Falun
Sandavagur
Helsingør
Askrigg
Thingvollur
Göteborg
Vedrafjord
Linköping

Last edited by Hagbart; August 15, 2002 at 15:41.
Old August 15, 2002, 16:09   #5
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
I've changed the list, with 2 exceptions: I still have Hedeby as Haithabu (It simply is more Viking to me, sorry) and still have L'Anse-aux Meadows because I want the Viking expeditions to be included in the ExtraPack.
Old August 17, 2002, 06:18   #6
Hagbart
Prince

That's OK. In the history book it says Hedeby (or Haithabu), so that's fine.