Old August 27, 2002, 15:38   #91
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by jsorense
Apocalypse is right. MikeH was with BAC when it was consumed by Apolyton. He was the Science Editor iirc.
Of course I'm right.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 27, 2002, 22:25   #92
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:07
Quote:
Make that at least 12 out of 37. I've been here since the beginning and most of my posts have been in the on-topic sections. I still play MP games twice a week.
Sorry rah, It was just a quick listing of those I rememberd off the top of my head ops:

Quote:
I also see Adam Smith and AH who are also well known in the MP community and have been here since the beginning and have contributed to the community.
They are MPers? That's new to me. Thanks for the inforamtion (I'm sort of 'out of' the MP communities

Quote:
If someone feels that on-topic people aren't represented they're wrong. In some of the past voting, people have posted links to the thread in on-topic areas and others added their own editorial comments. As in any election/popularity contest, a little campaigning is never a bad idea.
I never knew about that?

Quote:
Thus, the Hall of Fame mostly represents the retired gamer community - fine as it is, I belive on-topic sections, like CtP, need more representation.
Just like the Baseball Hall of fame represents the Retired Baseball players and The Rock and Roll hall of fame... and the Scientists hall of fame... etc... it makes sense You have to be around for a LONG time to be noticed and merit entrance

I think that most posters need to have spent at least around a year at apolyton to warrant entry.
This shows that they have 'staying power' and have consistently contribuited (maybe not largely with scenarios the ENTIRE time) but contribuited with posts, help, etc. throught their stay.
100% of the hall exhibit these charactaristics for sure;
even the major OTer, Chegitz. Can anyone here from the OT imagine the OT without chegitz?

I defend all the members. They all deserve to be in! I know them all (with the exception of 1 or 2) and from what I hear (from Chris62 on the subject of paitkis), the ones I don't know are VERY worthy!

They just may not post in the ontopic anymore!

But they've been around and they have STAYED around!

The newbies may deserve to be in... But you can't base all entrance requirements on a few contributions made in 1 or 2 months. (Although If I believe correctly, Theseus, Catt, et al have been around at least from Sept 01-Nov 01, in which case they are nearly done building up their legacies. If they keep up, they should find no problem being elected.

I'll post a Veteran's Committe thread for all interested in the OT, but I think I'll ask here.

Anyone interested in the vet's committee (registered b.2-15-99) please send me a PM.
I think I'll have a committee of 5 members who each have an equal vote.
Also, we will have a proposition thread, where people nominate Veterans; (Posters who have posted less than 1 post a month within the past 6 months or so. AND registered in 1999 or earlier)
Then, the 10 most popular names, will enter voting by the Veterans Committee (Voting will either be a: closed (PM's which reduces the problem of people spamming a thread) or b: open (which allows all to see the votes)
The vets will be encouraged to post reasons for their votes.
Each vet will have 3 votes to distribute.
Any member receiving 4 votes will be inducted.
Unless no member receives 4 votes in which case a maximum of 3 members with 3 votes will be inducted.
If there are more than 3 members with 3 votes, then there will be a runoff and the top 3 will be inducted.

-DO NOT READ THIS SECTION UNLESS YOU WISH TO BE CONFUSED; SKIP THIS TABLE (UNLESS YOU WANT TO READ DARKCLOUD LOGIC)
Thus, the probability of any of the 10 members entering the hall is as follows:

---5 Committee Members- 3 Votes apiece.
---10 Possible Electees

(5)*(3)=15 votes possible to be distribuited.

15 distribuited over 10.
Each member has a possibilty of a minimum of 1.5 votes
However, each CM (Committee Member can only vote for 3 DIFFERENT People; thus narrowing the probability)

Example
5/10ths probability for any one CM to vote for a person

TO GET
4 votes--> 4/5 have to vote for you; each having a 1/3 chance Times the fact that you are one of 10 people= 37/30= 1.233% chance MIN ESTIMATE
4 votes--> 5/5 * 1/3 * 1/10= 1.433% chance MAX ESTIMATE

That is the estimate that ANY ONE JUDGE might vote for ANY ONE Person.

-
Final note- 1.433% COULD equal a 143% chance instead of a 1.43%, as could an 1.23% chance

THUS, it is almost CERTAIN that 1 or perhaps 2 people will be inducted with 4 votes apiece

Please excuse my probably incorrect probability. I am a bit sketchy on probability problems and need to relearn them

-END TABLE; END LOGICFUNCTION DARKCLOUD

Votes will be held twice a year. Once in Oct/Nov/December. Once in May/Jun/July/Aug or something of the sort (every 6 months)

How does that sound?

Last edited by DarkCloud; August 27, 2002 at 22:37.
Old August 28, 2002, 06:35   #93
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:07
I wanna be in the Vet committee
Old August 28, 2002, 09:16   #94
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Okay Jay Bee. Thanks for the application!

-Final note: add Chris62 to my list of PRIMARILY On-Topic civ posters.

That makes 15 at the least!!!!

-
Now we have 2 members only 3 slots still open!
Old August 28, 2002, 10:06   #95
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Okay Jay Bee. Thanks for the application!

-Final note: add Chris62 to my list of PRIMARILY On-Topic civ posters.

That makes 15 at the least!!!!

-
Now we have 2 members only 3 slots still open!
hi ,

only 2 slots open , ....

have a nice day
Old August 28, 2002, 11:00   #96
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 09:07
DarkCloud: I disagree on calling people newbies. Someone registered for two moths who did much to the site, by good posts, is not a newbie. Next, I'm not only registered for a year, I'm registered for almost two .

Shame I'm not a veteran, though .
Old August 28, 2002, 11:09   #97
Rasbelin
Emperor

I agree with Solver, and I want to remind that I'm still protesting against DarkCloud's politburo, Hall of Shame. I just don't get it why it's so important for him to rank Apolytoners as there's already a title ladder and you also know when a member has registered (unless you're one of the oldies that have been here already since 1970 ) and most "popular" Apolytoners are still respected without any HoS elections. IMHO, DarkCloud,...

Down with this segregation! I want a class free Poly community!
Old August 28, 2002, 11:14   #98
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Nah the title system is not supposed to rank people! Actually it's wrong... while with a few people their title just gives you an idea they're staff or Yin26, it just merely reflects the posting level...
Old August 28, 2002, 21:34   #99
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
DarkCloud: I disagree on calling people newbies. Someone registered for two moths who did much to the site, by good posts, is not a newbie.
They are newbies. They don't know their way around the site. Very few people can know their way around the site within less than 5 months, and then they have to have posted just about everywhere.

IF someone is to become known, they have to be here about 5-10 months, otherwise, the community will forget them when they leave because they did not do things sustained enough (example: anyone remember OmniGod?)

It's a year for the regular HoF, for the vet's comittee, they have to have been regulars from 1999 and haven't posted in a long time.-
-

Message to panag- sorry, I don't understand you ?
Old August 28, 2002, 22:11   #100
Tuberski

Funny thing is DarkCloud isn't eligible for the Veteran's committee.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 29, 2002, 00:28   #101
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:07
BTW, are "Deity Clubs" and "Emperor Clubs" still against the rules? Why is the Hall of Fame allowed then?
Old August 29, 2002, 09:16   #102
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Funny thing is DarkCloud isn't eligible for the Veteran's committee.

Well, I'm not a veteran, am I?

No one, not even Provost would consider me one, and he registered in Feb 2000!

St Leo, it isn't a club, it's an acievement, it's not as if the hall of fame people act as if they are better than anyone. Think of it as 'extra' recognition!

Care to sign up for the committee?
Old August 29, 2002, 09:28   #103
Solver
lifer
Deity

DarkCloud - I do remember OmniGod . And I dislike what people have to do to get "known"... for them to be famous, good posting aren't enough. In fact, you only get known either by walking on the line of rules, posting a lot in the OTF (d'oh) or being a staff member. Excellent posts in one section won't help. Like, how many here know Dale?
Old August 29, 2002, 19:20   #104
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
It's the APOLYTON civ site. Not just the Civ-cliqueish site.
Yes, it's the Apolyton CIV site, the focus of this site is very strongly on Civ, not on OT. Yes, OT is a part of this site and a HoF without OTers would be just as bad as a HoF without CtPers or SMACers (note BTW that there are at present exactly 0 CtPers (CtP1 or 2) in the HoF) but, as you said yourself, at present about 60-70% of the HoF members are first and foremost OTers, which is in sharp contrast with the reality on Apolyton.

Quote:
Anyways, what's more important on the site, the WHOLE site, or just the civ section?
What's more important, the WHOLE site, or just the OT section? At present, OT, which represents at most 10% of Apolyton's coverage (next to Civ1/2/3, SMAC,CtP1/2, FreeCiv, Col, Alt Civ, MoO, RoN, Dinos, etc - with the focus being on all but OT), delivers well over 50% of the HoF members. And again: the focus of this site is on Civ; doesn't mean OT should be completely overlooked, but it should not dominate either.

Quote:
The OT is a vibrant part of this site. During Civ II's aging and death, the OT kept the site alive.
I would say that SMAC, Alt. Civ, CtP1 and CtP2, as well as other elements (including Civ2 itself, unless I missed the funeral and the obituary it's still alive and well) were at least as important as the OT was in keeping this site alive in the first 3.5 years of it's existance, when we were awaiting Civ3. I know many OTers feel that the OT is underappreciated (a feeling which IMHO indeed contains a core of truth), but they themselves in turn underappreciate the importance of the rest of the site (just because you don't like CtP, doesn't mean it isn't an important part of Apolyton). Civilization, as well as Apolyton, is far more than just Civ2 and Civ3 (and OT)...

Quote:
EVC- apolyton micronationalism, apolyton OT, apolyton daffy duck, old contributions, I think I saw one or 2 on the list IIRC.
So EvC was an important OTer. That's very nice, and I don't have strong objections to having him (or paiktis or MikeH or anyone else I mentioned) in an Apolyton HoF, but how do these accomplishments compare to those of someone like Harlan? I mean, of those of us who have been around here long enough, how many have NOT played one or more of Harlan's scenarios, downloaded any of his maps or used any of his modmaking resources? Who has NEVER visited the Scenario League website/forum? Participated in any of the MP tournaments/ladders? With all due respect, but do you really think that EvC's micronation activities or Daffy Duck title is of the same level as Wes's 3 revolutionary MedMods, Harlan's brilliant Mongols, Viking Age or WWII Scenarios or Stefan Härtel's immersive Ancient Scenarios? Or for that matter Tau Ceti's excellent MP work or the 7 innovative Clash demos that Mark_Everson brought us or an outstanding game called FreeCiv? I mean, EvC's flaming, trolling and spamming in the OT was quite amusing (at times I enjoyed it myself as well) and micronations kept some of us off the street for a while, but I fail to see how those things are more noteworthy and more worth of commemorating than the great feats (scenarios, modpacks, strategies, help guides, lists, tournaments, ladders, games, etc) of all the people I've mentioned before, especially when we're talking about the HoF of a Civilization site.

Same with paiktis (I most certainly *did* do research on him for the period before I knew him): sure, he was around on the Civ2 forums, but he wasn't exactly a long-time vet from the first days - and can anyone mention anything he actually accomplished there? Did he invent any radical new ways of playing, ala Paul? Did he discover important tricks/cheats/strategies, ala Xin-Yu? Did he write any strategy guides, ala Vel? How about scenarios, MP accomplishments, anything? I did a thorough check on his profile but couldn't find anything significant. Yes, he posted on the Civ2 forums for a while and was a valuable member, just as on the Civ3 forums, but he never seemed like anything more than a regular poster to me. And regular is good, regulars deserve credit (maybe more than they currently get), but this site has hundreds of regulars - the HoF is for people who did more than just being around! As I said before, I like paiktis - I regard him an old buddy from my Civ3 days (we're still supposed to set up that detective agency (inside joke)) - so I would very much like for him to get the honor and credit he deserves, but you are giving him (and others) far more than he deserves by claiming that his merits outweigh those of many others (who's names I've mentioned more than once).

Note once again that paiktis and EvC and others are just examples: I'm trying to describe a tendency here rather than to pick on individuals.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having any of the people currently in the HoF being there - did I at any point suggest you should remove anyone? - but I do think there is a large number of people missing from it. That's why I suggested the on topic-only version in the first place. If people like paiktis and EVC are in, you should make enough room for people like WesW and Tau Ceti and others as well - worrying about the HoF becoming too large should be the last of your worries as long as they are not!

As it is, the HoF is merely a popularity contest, but a HoF should be a much more than that! In a popularity contest, I would vote on my buddies, on people like Immortal Wombat, Solver, Grampos, Peter Triggs (to name a few). If I were to vote on people who were important for Apolyton (which AFAIK is pretty much the definition of a HoF - see Football/Baseball/etc HoFs), I would vote for Harlan, Stefan Härtel, Mark_Everson, Celestial_Dawn, WesW, etc (these people did a little bit more than 'just trow together a simple scenario'). There's a subtle difference between 'people I like' and 'people who deserve to be respected and commended for their achievements'.

Quote:
Those parts are dead except for MPers
(1) Since when does MP not count? (2) you obviously don't visit any of those section very often. CtP2: the most actively (fan-)developed game in the Civ series, new files and revolutionary new ideas being introduced every week; Alt Civ: IIRC something like 6-10 betas/demos/etc were released in the last 9 months; Civ2: does MP ring a bell? or maybe the multiple Democracy games? Checked out the Scenario League forum/website latetely? 3 new forums were added in the last few months; CtP1: it's MP forum during peak hours probably has more activity than OT(!), currently running a World Cup Tournament and 2 ladders; SMAC: Democracy game, MP, FreeAC, Fiction - all alive and kicking. The fact that they have less forum activity than OT doesn't mean they are dead. The are quieter because, for one thing, people behave less spammy there and for another because playing/modding/writing about games takes a lot of time and thus forces you to spend less time on the forums.

30 regulars is not enough to warrant a poll? How many is? 100? 200? How do you define a 'regular'? How do you know who the regulars are? (One would have to be a regular oneself to know and a single person can only be a regular in so many forums) How do you know only 10% of the regulars would vote? (This may be the case for OT but OT and on topic are quite different - e.g. I know the CtP2 community well enough to know that if you allowed them to vote in their own forum probably have at least 70% of the regulars would vote, the same probably goes for CtP1-MP) Since when can non-regulars not vote? (For example, Peter Triggs is probably one of the 'oldest' and best informed CtPers around, but until recently he was still a Chieftain and by no means a regular, and only the true vets knew and appreciated his unsurpassed wisdom on modding the AI - he's quite knowledgeable on CtP's/Apolyton's history as well) Don't take this the wrong way but who are you (or any other individual aside from Markos & Dan) to determine all this? Posting the same thread in several extra forums takes about 2 minutes and helps a LOT towards giving the HoF more (highly-needed!) credibility. If the HoF is to represent Apolyton, it should represent all of Apolyton!

Quote:
Those people are too old.
So newbies can't be in, vets can't be in - why bother to have a HoF at all! Ain't the whole idea of a HoF to commemorate the achievements of those who did great things in the past? How can you be too old for that?! I can assure you that there are plenty of CtPers who remember CD, TP, Harlan, WesW, Paul, OmniGod (yes, OmniGod ) and others from CtP history who deserve credit - their work is still in use today! And anyone browsing through the Directory, Scenario Collection or Scenario League databases can see that Harlan and Stefan Härtel were important people - and still are if you still play Civ2 Scenarios! Quite frankly I think that OTers (with the exception of the real vets) have a much shorter memory span than the on topicers. Can you expect anyone to remember people who did great things 2 years ago if you're daily activities mainly consist of discussing/spamming (sorry, I mean funposting )/trolling/etc? This explains very well why only the gamers who are also active in OT only get elected, and not the ones who never leave on topic (or do FoAs or the like).
OTOH, if you still encounter the work of those ancient vets on a regular basis because you use their files or their knowledge, you will very well remember who they were. For example, Paul has not posted in the CtP2 forums in ages, yet every CtP2ers knows who he is thanks to his ModSwapper file, which *every* CtP2 user still uses today. You can bet the CtP1ers can remember dutcheese, Celestial_Dawn and WesW as well for the same reason and I doubt the other sections of Apolyton are very different. Sure, more recent people might make it in easier because they're fresher in memory but the oldies would certainly not be forgotten.

Solver, Dale posts in more than just 1 section Unfortunately it's only all the 'wrong' sections from the point of view of OTers

Last edited by Locutus; August 29, 2002 at 19:32.
Old August 29, 2002, 21:26   #105
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Like, how many here know Dale?
I know OF him

Locutus- you do have to give the OT credit- they voted in Xin Yu and he NEVER posts there

The reason I post this in the OT is that I know for sure that the vets will get elected, since they post in the OT anyways for the most part. This allows many civesque people to be elected.

However, if I put it in say the Civ II section ,we would end up with very obscure people... much like the OT has sometimes done, but it would be more like 75% since there are less regular posters there. (IN the OT about 100 people visit in a day, in the other fora it's less)

-
Quote:
(including Civ2 itself, unless I missed the funeral and the obituary it's still alive and well)
In the last year and a half, Civ II has been all but deserted except for MWHC and Succession gamers.

Ah, taht makes 16- MWHC is another on the list who is a big Civver!

Quote:
Civilization, as well as Apolyton, is far more than just Civ2 and Civ3 (and OT)...
That's true. It probably is bad that CTP doesn't have a single person. The only other explation other than those you give is that it hasn't been around as long as Civ II and has yet to build up a well known community outside of yourself, WesW, Solver, and perhaps one or two others.

Many of those OTers are known outside the OT, but yes, many of them were elected from inside the community, but part of that is because the poll has always been in the OT because I was afraid of site rules (with some excusions to the community section)

Thus, in the future, I think:
CTP2, Civ III and OT will ahve the poll, if that is all right?

Quote:
Alt Civ: IIRC something like 6-10 betas/demos/etc were released in the last 9 months
they may have been released but the posting was abysmal. I KNOW. I visit every 2 months or so and find maybe 3 new threads

I also have the second thread in CTP II MP So I do drop by from time to time

Quote:
How do you know only 10% of the regulars would vote?
It was true in the Civ III section... actually it was more like 1% or less
Quote:
Since when can non-regulars not vote?
I never said they couldn't, I just said taht it was likely they wouldn't know people who belonged in the hall since they weren't around here as much.

When I said those people are too old, I was saying that no one would vote for them because they didn't know them.

I think that's pretty obvious. If you don't know someone, yo uwon't vote for them.

Quote:
Posting the same thread in several extra forums takes about 2 minutes and helps a LOT towards giving the HoF more (highly-needed!) credibility. If the HoF is to represent Apolyton, it should represent all of Apolyton!
There is also over-thread flooding. Although I seem to have cleared that with ming. IF people really want me to post it everywhere, but please realize this, every time I post the hall of fame, I get flamed by people, and I find that annoying. (I don't really care about educated complaints, such as yours and perhaps solvers, but people like Tassadar [I think it was him] who say "why are you posting this here you **** spammer!" Is very annoying.) That's another reason why I don't want to post it everywhere.

If someone truly pushes me, I might put another one in Scenario League, and perhaps The Spanish Civ II site... But then we'll probably run into the "OT syndrome" as you define it... people voting for their friends.

Quote:
it's MP forum during peak hours probably has more activity than OT(!)
I can believe that- I've seen TheBirdMan's post count skyrocket

How does my proposal sound.

For sure:
CTP II
Civ III
OT

Possibly:
Apoly/Community
Scen League
Span Civ II

Because those are ACTIVE forums. (I could also say the Stories/Diplo fora, but I don't think we need to place one there )

Don't you think that the MPers will migrate to the General sections once and a while so that they will notice the threads there, or should I post one there too?
I do want as many people as possible to vote, but I also want to make it worth my time, as I have an average of 17-45 second loading time per page and this takes time to update.

The easiest solution would be for mark to make an announcement and I post the thread in only 3 sections.

What I'm trying to say is that you are going to have clique problems anywhere I place this (and until now, I have tried to circumvent these problems by placing the hall in the place with the most still-active vets; it hasn't worked perfectly, but I dread what may happen if I change its position), and I doubt that Stefan Hartel, Harlan, OmniGod, et. al. can overcome the cliques sad as it may be.

Then, there are the lost people, who may or may not deserve to be in, but were VERY important for a short time; Shadowstrike, UltraSonix, CornMaster, etc.

And I pretty much know regulars in most forums. I'm not omnipresent, but I like to think I know what's going on
Old August 29, 2002, 21:46   #106
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
In the last year and a half, Civ II has been all but deserted except for MWHC and Succession gamers.

You should really do your homework before making statements like this... PBEM, MP, and the Democracy game forums are still going strong for Civ II. Two new forums had to be added to the Civ II section during that time frame
Old August 30, 2002, 09:17   #107
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
That's true. It probably is bad that CTP doesn't have a single person. The only other explation other than those you give is that it hasn't been around as long as Civ II and has yet to build up a well known community outside of yourself, WesW, Solver, and perhaps one or two others.
And note that the three persons you mentioned might well be known for other reasons. Locutus is much known as the Apolyton directory manager. WesW is known because he has a hosted site, and some even know of him as a modmaker, but haven't played his mods, yet. I'm probably mostly known as the Interview Chief and the guy who looks at his monitor with a microphone. So give CtP more representation! I guess forcing Ming to play CtP MP for a week could be good .
Old August 30, 2002, 11:30   #108
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:07
You CTP guys sure have big egos.

How do you fit your heads through doors?
Old August 30, 2002, 12:58   #109
Solver
lifer
Deity

Our asses are even bigger.
Old August 30, 2002, 13:39   #110
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Locutus- you do have to give the OT credit- they voted in Xin Yu and he NEVER posts there
Yeah, but it struck me that he was elected shortly after his FoA

So, knowing that, could you coordinate with Solver that Harlan's (inevitable) future FoA coincides with a HoF vote?

Quote:
The reason I post this in the OT is that I know for sure that the vets will get elected, since they post in the OT anyways for the most part. This allows many civesque people to be elected.
Well, as I said, you're overlooking a very large and important group of vets by that - the ones not visiting OT...

Quote:
However, if I put it in say the Civ II section ,we would end up with very obscure people... much like the OT has sometimes done, but it would be more like 75% since there are less regular posters there. (IN the OT about 100 people visit in a day, in the other fora it's less)
Did you ever try? But regardless, the same would be the case for CtP1 and CtP2: for most non-CtPers names like Dale, hexagonian, Peter Triggs, Martin Gühmann, dutcheese, TP, Celestial_Dawn, Nordicus, skorpion59, etc are rather obscure, while they are some of the giants of the CtP series... The the reverse is also the case, see my next paragraph.

Quote:
Many of those OTers are known outside the OT
Actually, AH made a post in CtP2 General not too long ago and people wondered who he was... And I think it's safe to say AH is one of the most famous of the OTers...

Apolyton is too big, it's impossible for anyone to know everyone, that's exactly what makes features such as FoA and HoF so interesting, assuming they are executed right...

[/quote]In the last year and a half, Civ II has been all but deserted except for MWHC and Succession gamers.[/quote]
What Ming said - and the same goes for CtP1 and SMAC.

Quote:
I doubt that. Apolyton already had a CtP1 section on day 1. If you ask me, the main reason is that CtPers have never been big fans of OT, some are even quite strongly opposed to having an OT at all...

Besides, thanks to the mods CtP1 and CtP2 both have an almost infinite replayability value, so we've never grown tired of it, as so many Civ2ers have

Quote:
Thus, in the future, I think:
CTP2, Civ III and OT will ahve the poll, if that is all right?
I really think CtP1, Civ2, SMAC and Alt Civ should get get their own thread as well. If you don't want people to vote there, at least explain a bit about the HoF and tell them to go to the Apolyton forum for voting. The announcements have unfortunately been 'abused' a bit too much lately (a while ago I got complaints from CtP2ers who were extremely excited about the new patch the announcement talked about, until they found out it was a Civ3 patch ), so I suspect that the announcements are not being read as much as they used to anymore, at least not in the CtP forums (although I admit I have no evidence to back that up). A regular forum thread would work infinitely better... And if your connection is really that big a deal (right If that's really a big deal, how the hell did you ever become an emperor? ), I would be more than happy to post the duplicate/referral threads for you...

Quote:
they may have been released but the posting was abysmal. I KNOW. I visit every 2 months or so and find maybe 3 new threads
Because people post less, it doesn't mean they're not there. Sure, not all projects are equally active, but Clash, FreeCiv and Candle'Bre are alive and well (and EU and Classic Games aren't doing too bad either)... Alt Civ forums due to their nature rely a lot on reusing old threads, and posting rate is slow as people are too busy with programming and stuff to post a lot. But a quick count showed at least 5 new threads for Candle'Bre in the last 2 weeks (could well be more but I stopped counting at 5) and all but 1 of the threads on the first page in the FreeCiv forum were started in the last 2 months. Sure, the Alt Civ forum itself isn't exactly the OT but the Alt Civ section has a total of 10 forums, some of which are quite active, with a large usergroup (no you don't have to post a thread in *all* those 10 forums)...

Quote:
It was true in the Civ III section... actually it was more like 1% or less
Well, like you said, Civ3ers are mostly n00bes, they behave very differently from the vets in the CtP1/2 sections and probably from the Alt Civers and SMACers as well...
Quote:
I never said they couldn't, I just said taht it was likely they wouldn't know people who belonged in the hall since they weren't around here as much.
Like I said, I think they do, at least many of the ones in the CtP1 and CtP2 forums. For SMAC, Civ2 and Alt Civ it's a little harder to judge but you won't know it until you try it out...

Quote:
I think that's pretty obvious. If you don't know someone, yo uwon't vote for them.
The thing is that people *do* know them. If someone was really important, he will still be known today. Perhaps not by everyone, but the system of giving older posters more points should usually ensure that things work out just fine...

Quote:
every time I post the hall of fame, I get flamed by people
Well, welcome to the world!
Now you know how Markos (or Firaxis, or Activision, or Solver or Ming or me or ...) feels everytime he adds new features to the site/forums. But does it stop him (or anyone else) from it? Whatever you do, some people will always complain/flame/whatever, you should take the valuable feedback at heart, and ignore the flames.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Quote:
If someone truly pushes me, I might put another one in Scenario League, and perhaps The Spanish Civ II site...
*push* *push*

Quote:
But then we'll probably run into the "OT syndrome" as you define it... people voting for their friends.
You will get that anywhere. So if just you post everywhere, it should more or less balance everything out

Quote:
How does my proposal sound.
Still missing SMAC, Civ2, CtP1, Alt Civ Those are all still active. At least those *sections* are, individual forums can differ: CtP1 General may seem rather dead (in fact, there are more lurkers than posters, so the casual observer can easily be fooled), but CtP1-MP is the most active forum on the boards. It should be sufficient to post in 1 forum per section: one 1 Civ3-General, 1 in Civ2-General, 1 in CtP2-General, etc, one in all the General forums (except MoO and RoN) plus one in Alt-Civ itself, to represent all 10 Alt-Civ forums. When you post in one of the sections, people from the other forums (including MP) in that section will probably find it soon enough - worked for the Apolytoner of the Season Award, it should work again for the Hall of Fame. The only sections for which more than one forum needs a thread would of course be Miscellaneous (Apolyton + OT) - and perhaps Hosted Sites.

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that you are going to have clique problems anywhere I place this (and until now, I have tried to circumvent these problems by placing the hall in the place with the most still-active vets; it hasn't worked perfectly, but I dread what may happen if I change its position), and I doubt that Stefan Hartel, Harlan, OmniGod, et. al. can overcome the cliques sad as it may be.
Like I said, the best way to solve the clique forum is to post *everywhere*, that way things will cancel each other out. OT is a clique just as much as the rest of the site, as the current HoF memberlist proves...

Chris,
Heh, considering all the crap we had to put up with until Civ3 was released (thank god the trolls moved on! *thouches wood*), a little compensation is not entirely out of place

Solver,
Actually, I think I myself am best known by most people from my brief but powerful Civ3-appearance, not for anything else (although the staff membership does help, I'm sure).
There are many reasons why WesW has at least some fame among the rest of Apolyton (but not enough to get any points in the HoF, so he's not all *that* famous). The FoA, the website, his Civ3 work, his OT posting of the past, his famous Ming quote, it's all those things put together.
You're forgetting one important CtPer though: Paul. His fame outside the CtP section is also entirely because of OT and Civ2 though, I doubt many know he's also an avid CtP1/2 modmaker and CtP1 MPer.
But you're right, the same goes for Harlan and Immortal Wombat and other CtP1/2ers: if they are known outside the CtP community, it's not because of their CtP work, as important as it may be...
Old August 30, 2002, 13:44   #111
Locutus
Deity

(dammit, why won't the stupid thing let me edit? Oh well, you'll simply have to live with the typos...)
Old August 30, 2002, 13:44   #112
Solver
lifer
Deity

Paul is not primarily a CtP'er, like us.
Old August 30, 2002, 13:46   #113
Locutus
Deity

Hmm, Apolyton Pack for CtP1, MedMod for CtP1, MedMod for CtP2, ModSwapper, ModSwitcher, CtP1-MP, CtP1-OCC - I'd say he's an important CtPer (I'm 100% certain I left out a thing or two, my apologies to Paul for forgetting )
Old August 30, 2002, 13:48   #114
Solver
lifer
Deity

Yeah, but same lists for other games .
Old August 30, 2002, 14:00   #115
Locutus
Deity

AFAIK only Civ2, but that was a while ago After that, AFAIK just CtP and OT (here on Apolyton anyway)...
(one of the things I forgot was the graphics for CD's mod BTW )
Old August 30, 2002, 15:05   #116
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
You should really do your homework before making statements like this... PBEM, MP, and the Democracy game forums are still going strong for Civ II. Two new forums had to be added to the Civ II section during that time frame
PBEM= MWHC's succession games.

I was referring to the GENERAL section, not the MP section or demo game section... and the Demo game section had a lapse recently, if you remmber (I am a member of all the demo games and check in from time to time.)

The Civ II one now has a multi-site demogame running... Which was goig strong at last memory ,but I was referring to the General section; and before the demogames, the section was even deader.

Quote:
Actually, AH made a post in CtP2 General not too long ago and people wondered who he was... And I think it's safe to say AH is one of the most famous of the OTers...
AH was WELL known in the Civ II and III idea sections a eraly ago as Dec 2000... And he has been consistently posting there until recently (I think) but I remember taht in late 2000 everyone knew him.

He posted A LOT on topic. His threads were spammy but contained many good ideas.

Quote:
If you ask me, the main reason is that CtPers have never been big fans of OT, some are even quite strongly opposed to having an OT at all...
That's because OTers are Civvers, not CTPers, they hate CTP with the same passion I hate Civ III.

Quote:
Well, like you said, Civ3ers are mostly n00bes, they behave very differently from the vets in the CtP1/2 sections and probably from the Alt Civers and SMACers as well...
I never thought about that!

This makes sense.

CTP I and CTP II both deserve polls.

Quote:
You will get that anywhere. So if just you post everywhere, it should more or less balance everything out
That is the hope

Okay. Hopefully this is more acceptable (coupled with an announcement from Markos, hopefully) well, you've talked me into this...

Civ III- General
CTP I- MP
CTP II- General
OT

-
and as trials...
SCEN LEAGUE
SPANISH SITE

if certain sections prove 'too' cliquish, this will be their only appearance, but I think despite what happens, I'll leave it in the 4 listed above (unless in CTP I there is a lack of interest)

At least it'll help my post count
Old August 30, 2002, 19:33   #117
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
You CTP guys sure have big egos.
I think their problem is that the Nimaders don't constantly make fun of them anymore.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old September 1, 2002, 11:26   #118
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Paul is not primarily a CtP'er, like us.
...but he is more of an active member of the ctp-PBEM community than many who are 'primarily CTP'ers".
Old September 2, 2002, 10:56   #119
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I think their problem is that the Nimaders don't constantly make fun of them anymore.
Please. Mock us more.
Old September 2, 2002, 11:12   #120
Solver
lifer
Deity

Hey, the CtPer force is up here! Let's show them off-topicers .