Old August 15, 2002, 20:03   #1
Civ3King
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Defying an Empire..."
Chapter 1: "The Coming of an Enemy"

"There coming!! There coming!!! The Romans are marching this way!!!", A man on a hoarse screamed as he galloped through the once tranquile English village. His scream peirced the silence, sending the deadly warning to the homes on the side of the dirt road. He waved the tourch about trying to attract attention to those sleeping and resting in there homes. The man cried again this time galloping through the village square. "The Romans Legons are coming!! They are coming!!!" The cries of the horseman faded away along with him and his hoarse. There was silence for a moment, but it was soon broken as the screams and footsteps of about two hundred villagers burst from there once quiet homes. Some villagers were armed with swords and had light bronze armor on, however most just had simple pitch forks and staffs. The men began building up a wooden wall with carved sharp ends jutting out the wall. The men all leen against the wall and waited quietly for the Roman legions. Inside the village houses the wives and children of the men were gathering there most valuble belongings and fleeing to the woods, hoping to find a safe hiding.

"Please lord watch over my husband as he does battle", Fellina thought to herself as she clutched her 11 month year old baby son named Luther.

She ran deep into the forrest looking around desperatly for a place to hide herself. She knew if she was caught
the legions might rape her or do worse....kill Luther. She looked around and spotted an old rotted log laying down on the ground. With her baby Fellina crawled into the log and layed still, trying her best to calm her beating heart and quiet her loud breathing. The only thing she could do no was lay there and wait.

It was still quiet at the wooden wall. None of the soldiers had spotted a Legion yet. "Maybe there not coming, maybe they turned back..", a young boyly 13years old said.

An older villager who had experinced the Roman might before shook his head at the young boy, "No...Romans do not turn back....They fight to win and conquer. They fight to the death."
The man said, gazing back on past battles with the Romans. The man spoke again. "I remeber when we first heard the reports about the Roman invasion on the southern island...It is scary how quiclky they managed to push the English army to the north. Only months....Soon they will be at Londonia." The man sighed and looked forward again, fixing his eyes on the road.

"We wont let that happen!! We can fight the Romans and we shall overcome them!!", the boy shouted, trying to lighten the villagers spirits. The boy was about to shout again but was cut off by a man a few feet to the right of him. "I see a light!!! Look ahead, its a light!!!"

The men all looked ahead as if all in unison. The villager who had first seen the light was right. The light came closer and the sound of marching was heard soon after. More appeared and with them came the light wich revealed what the villagers deadly apponent.............. Roman Legions. The villagers could here the clank of iron armor, and swords against eachother. A shout was called for the villagers to hold out there pitchforks outwards so they could the stab the charging legions. The villagers with pitchforks did so and waited.

"Soldiers hault!!!", The commander of the Roman unit said waving his hands in the air.

The legion unit stopped and stood there motionless. The commander turned to the villagers and studied them and there wooden wall, which he found amussing. "English villagers, I see you are prepared to fight with your pathetic wooden wall and your wooden sticks. However, I will save you all your certain death and ask you to peacefully join with the Supreme Roman Empire."

The cheif of the village a tall 7'1 man who dawrfed the other villagers answered the commanders request, "We shall never give in to the savage Romans. We will fight you tell the last man. Long live the English Clan!!!!"

The other villagers began to chant "Long live the Englisg Clan", holding up there weapons and shouting. The Roman commander rolled his eyes and turned to his unit. "Why do they always choose the hard way.", he muttered to himself. "You heard them soliders, they want a battle and we shall give them such.", the commander yelled to his men.

The commander raised his hand and shouted out a command. The archers in behind the legions lighted the end of there arrows and took aim. The commander quickly dropped his arm and instantly the archers let loose there firery projectiles. The sound of defient chearing from the villagers quickly turned to screams of pain. About half of the villagers had been hit by arrows and were staggering around on fire. The wooden wall soon errupted into a wall of fire scortching those who were directly behind it.

"Legions.. sheilds up, swords out, charge!!", the commander shouted through the screams.

The legions raised there oval sheilds and lifted the swords as they marched forward like a stone wall read to crush all who stood in its way. The remaing villagers who were not on fire jumped over the burning fire wall and ran to meet the legions. The staffs and the pitch forks of the villagers clashed on the metal sheilds of the Romans causing little damage to the unit. The legions countered with a slash of there iron swords, bringing the firts line of villagers down.

"Die you Romans, go back to the hell you came from!", Charlamen, a villager shouted thrusting his bronze sword into the unprotected lower side of a Roman legion.

The villager kicked the dead legion of his sword and turned with a powerful slash which cut across a roman legions throat. The Roman fell to the ground grabbing his bloody neck. The villager proud of his kill put his foot ontop of the legion and yelled, lifting his sword high. Little did Charlamen know hes celebration would end quickly. Behind Charlamen came another legion sneaking up behind him. Charlamen couldn't hear the footsteps of the soldier because of his shouting and the clashing of weapons around him. The legion saw his chance and drove his sword upward into the back of the warrior. Charlamen yelled in agnoy and relised what had happened as he turned to see the legions sword in his back. He fell to his knees and looked around at the battle around him. He turned his head seeing the villagers.....his freinds..his own... being slaughtered by the Roman legions. His home and his village burning to the ground..... He thought only one last though before the darkness set in. "Lord please protect my child and wife Fellina."

The sounds of roaring fire and screams of pain had reached Fellina's ears. She could only sit there wonder if her home would still be there tommorow....or her husband. Suddenly the sound of running and women screaming broke her grim thoughts.

"What is going on?", she thought to herself peeking out the log.

Feet scampered by the log and soon after another set of feet went by. Fellina peeked out the log once more to the direction in which the feet had went. She gasped as she saw an english women being chased by a legion. The lady tripped over a rock and and landed on the hard rocky ground slidding. She turned on her back and looked up at the legion now standing infront of her. The women pleeded for the legion to leave her be, but the legion ignored her please and dragged her by her legs in the direction of Fellina.

Fellina ducked her head back into the log and watched as the legion dragged the women away. As fellina ducked back into the log she lighty kicked Luther, awaking him from his peaceful sleep. Luther began to cry, and the Roman turned his head to the log.

"Shush luther, be quiet..", Fellina said to Luther in a quiet voice trying to calm her baby.

The legion let go of the women allowing her to escape and walked over to the rotten log to check out the noise. Fellina heard his footsteps and grabbed a few leaves on the outside of the log. She quickley placed the leaves over Luther to try and hide him. Luther calmed down and stopped crying, however the sound had gotten the attention of legion. The Legion crouched down beside the log and looked in. The legion and Fellainas eyes met and she began to scream.

"Well well look at what I found. Come here you!" the legion said pulling Fellina from the log. Fellina struggled from the legions grip, but was powerless against the built man.

"Let go!!. Leave me alone!!. Let me be.". Fellina pleaded, but like the legion did with the previouse women, he just ignored her plees and dragged her away. Fellina took one last look at her preciouse baby boy for the last time..or so she thought......

This is the end of the First Chapter. I would love comments question ect..... Soon more will come!!

P.S- I hope you like long stories

"Too many ties with too many people will get you in a knot."
- Me

Last edited by Civ3King; August 15, 2002 at 20:27.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:14   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
Superb start.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old August 15, 2002, 22:10   #3
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 16:10
I agree, very good beginning.
Old August 16, 2002, 13:44   #4
Ksim3000
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:10
Great beginning!
Old August 16, 2002, 18:47   #5
Civ3King
Chieftain

Chapter 2: "A Boy and the Emperor"

Thalius walked along the edges of the stone roads looking around the busy markets in the forum. "The forum of Rome is busy as usual", Thalius thought to himself as he walked by a meat stand.

It was a beautiful afternoon in Rome. The sun hung over the city warming it and its people. Thalius sighed happily at the whole scenic veiw and slowly reached into his white robe, grabbing a sack full of gold coins. Thalius eyed a stand that was selling silk robes which had been imported fom the lands of the Persian Empire to the northeast. The Persians had been at a feirce war with the Romans, but like most empires who stood against the Romans, they were failing.

Thalius walked over to the stand and studied the silk robe and tracing his fingers up the golden edges of the silk robe. "How much for this silk robe good man?", Thalius asked the merchant who had been whatching Thalius study the robe.

"I will only sell it for.......", The merchant was cut off by the yell of Romulus, an old friend of Thalius.

"Thalius!! Is that you? Hello there Thalius!",he said waving as he came towards Thalius at the silk stand.

Thalius waved back and shook Romulusess hand. "Hello Romulus its a good day in Rome, is it not?"

"Yes it is Thalius. What brings you here?", Romulus asked.

"He was going to buy this silk robe from me......", the merchant cut in, with an annoyed look on his face towards Romulus.

"Oh yes, I was, wasnt I? How much was this robe again?" Thalius said.

"That will be fifteen gold coins.", the merchant said holding out his hands greedly.

"Fifteen!? Ive seen silk robes like those go for no more then five coins !! What are you trying to do? Rob my friend?!", Romulus blurted out. Other customers who were looking around his stand heard Romulus and quickly scampered off.

Romulus was the son of a very rich merchent in Rome and he had learn a few "tricks of the trade" from his father. Because of this, Thalius often took Romulus around as he shopped through the forum.

Thalius looked at the merchant suspicously, "Are you trying to cheet me good man?", Thalius asked. "I hope you arnt or my freind here will just have to inform more people about the way you "conduct" buisness." Thalius said with a grin pointing at Romulus who was also grinning.

"Fine the price is seven gold coins."

"six.", Thalius shot back at the merchent.

"Grr...six then its a deal, just get out of here and take your freind to!!", the merchant yelled.

Thalius took six gold coins out his sack and handed them all to the merchent. He grabbed the silk robe and motioned to Romulus to come on.

"I still think you were cheeted Thalius, I would of dragged the price down to four coins." Romulus complained.

"Well everybody isnt as good a merchant as you Romulus.", Thalius said rolling his eyes.

"True, Thalius.", Romulus replied with a cocky smirk. "Where are we headin to now Thalius?", Romulus asked.

"To my home, I was supposed to do something, but I forget what. Oh well, Its not important......."

"THALIUS!!! How could you forget again!! This is the third time this week you've gone off and bought something other then what ive asked!!!" , Denia, Thaliusess mother screamed waving the the now torn silk robe.

"But, but, but.......", Thalius wimpered.

"Wow your mother is high strung...", Romulus whispered to Thalius who he was hiding behind.

"I dont want to hear it Thalius, if your father was still here, he would just.......ugh!!", Denia rubbed her forehead and sat down. She stopped yelling at took out a needle and some thread and began to sew the silk robe back together. She sighed and looked up at Thalius, "You know, this is a really nice robe.....it reminds me of your father....he loved silk."

"I din't know that..", Thalius said , confussed at his mothers sudden change of mood.

"Yes, he was a good man.", Denia said fixing her eyes back on the silk robe.

Thalius and Romulus looked at eachother and slowly backed away from Thaliusess mother, unsure what mood Denia might change to next.

"Oh and Thalius, while your out...make sure you get what I asked for, ok?", Delina said without looking up. "......and dont stay out too late, the streets of Rome are of no place to be at night."

"Yes mother" Thalius said as he stepped out the door ith Romulus.

Romulus and Thalius once again found themselves walking down the streets of the forum looking around the market. A skinny dirty man sitting by the wall of the coloseum which was still being constructed began to talk to the two boys. "Hey you to, can you help a man down on his luck and spair me a few coins?"

"Get a job you bum!!", Romulus yelled at the man kicking some dirt on him. "Damned plebians (commoners)."

Thalius rolled his eyes and took a gold coin out his brown sack. He tossed it to the man and nodded. "There you go sir, dont spend it all in one place now."

The man smiled back with his toothless smile and put the coin away happily.

Romulus looked at Thalius as if he was mad. "What in the gods name did you do that for? Hes only a plebian.", Romulus complained.

"He may just be plebian Romulus, but he needs food to.", Thalius answered.

Romulus scratched his head and continued through the forum following Thalius.

"Theres nothing to do now...", Thalius said with a sigh.

"Ya.....", Romulus replied. Thinking for a second, Romulus spoke up. "We could go to the palace. The senate and the emperor are having another political meeting. My dad was invited, but it sounds boring so....."

Thaliuses eyes spraked as he heard what Romulus had said."Political meeting? The senate and the emperor?! Lets go!!."

"But, why...?", Romulus said raising his eyebrow.

Thalius was into Roman politics and went to every public political meeting he could. It was his intrest, unlike Romulus who loved the action of being a soldier for the empire and he often dreamed of being a Roman Legion one day.

"Lets just just go Romulus before were late!! Hurry!!" Thalius yelled as he dashed to the palace.

Romulus sighed and followed, "This better be worth is Thalius.", he thought to himself.

Thalius and Romulus had finally reached the palace door wich was on heavy gaurd.

"Hault you two kids, what are you doing here?", A gaurd who was standing by the door asked.

"My father was invited to this polticl meeting and I need to see him.", Romulus said answering proudly.

"Ya right kid....now get out of here.....", The gaurd grabed Thalius and Romulus and began taking them away.

The two struggled but were getting no where. "You just had to come, dint you Thalius?", Romulus said angrily.

"Its not my fault!!", Thalius yelled back.

"Its ok gaurd you can let them in, that boy is mine.", A mans voice said from the palace door.

The two boys and the gaurd all turned at once to see it was Romulusess father, Cathious.

The gaurd nodded and let the two boys go. Romulus and Thalius both scampered over to Cathious and stood by him.

"Thank you father.", Romulus said

"Yes, thank you sir", Thalius said right after Romulus.

"Your welcome, just stay out of trouble next time. Got it?"

The boys both nodded at the same time, "Yes sir"

"Now, what brings you two here?", he asked scratching his head.

"We....well Thalius wanted to watch the senate meeting.", Romulus answered.

Cathious chuckled a bit. "Your into politics young man? Thats good. Maybe one day you will be in the senate."

"Maybe sir."

Cathiouse thought for a second rubbing his his bearded chin. "I guess you two can tag along, but don't cause in scene."

"Yes sir", they both said.

Cathious walked into the palace followed by Romulus and Thalius. The two boys eyes widened at the lavishness of the palace. There exotic animal skins hanging on the wall. Gold lined the palace furniture and maps of foreign lands lined across the left wall. They soon stepped out that room and into a gran hall where the senate were seated and talking amongst eachother. Cathious and the two boys came to three empty seats on the lowest level of the room and sat quietly.

Thalius leaned over and whispered to Romulus. "This is exciting"

Romulus rolled his eyes and responded. "Ya, as exiting as herding cattle"

The sounds of talking senators faded and quickly died.

"Whats going on?" Thalius asked Romulus.

"Im not sure..", he answered with a shrug.

"Shhh you two", Cathious said motioning his hands upward at the Empeor Ceaser who was walking in. Ceaser sat down quietly and looked around. An old gray haired man who was in white robe sttod up infront of Ceasar and oponed a scroll.

"Welcome senators, guest, and of course Emperor Ceasar. Today we will discuss the issues within the city and the cost and effects of the war. The senators maybe begin by telling Ceasar what they know." the man said outloud reading from the scroll.

He folded the scroll back up and sat down in a wooden seat near Ceasar.

"You may take it from here Emperor Ceasar.", the man said nodding to him.

"Thank you, Tantilus", Ceasar said retuning the nod. Ceasar looked around once more at the room and spoke up. "Alright Senators, explain to me the problems in the city".

One senator stood up bowed to the room and spoke towards Ceasar. "Well Emperor, because of the war there have been less men put out to grow the seasonal crops and cattle the herd. Due to this we have less food and starvation is up by quite a large margin."

"What about the slaves we have tooken from newly conquered areas?", Ceasar asked now puzzled.

"Sir, you had the slaves trained for army so we could control the conquered territores. The slaves are the army Emperor.", the senator answered.

"Hmm, ok Senator I will consdier the matter.", Ceasar answered.
"Next?"

Another senator on the right side of the room stood up. "Yes Emperor not only has starvation tooken place around the empire, but also we are running out of enough water to support the empire. Since most of the empires treasury is going towards the military support we have not been able to fund for construction of more Aqueducts. I suggest we lower the funds we give to the military and hault some expansion of the empire, so we can focus on the people."

Ceasar rubbed his chin and pondered this for a moment. "No, Im sorry senator I cannot allow that. We will support the millitary with the same amount of funds as we did before."

The senate began to whisper among themselves again again as the senator who had just spoken shook his head and sat down.

"If this is all I Senators, I will take my leave.", Ceasar said walking towards the exit.

At the same time Thalios got up from his seat and walked to the center of the room.

"What are you doing Thalios?! Have you lost your mind!?", Romulus shouted to Thalios tring to grab his arm but only managing to hit Thaliosess robe with his fingers.

The senators whispers came to a dead silence once again as they all looked down at the boy. Thalios began to speak up. "Excuse me Emperor, but I believe these senators are right."

The gray haired man who had been sitting by Ceasar stood up and shouted down at the boy, "Who are you boy to talk to the Emperor Ceasar that way!! How dare you.... you little brat..."

Ceasar turned around and looked at the scene smirking. "Calm down Tantilus, let the boy speak. It may be intresting."

Tantilus looked back at Ceasar confussed, but closed his mouth and sat back down. "Please continue..umm...whats your name boy?", Ceasar said t Thalios.

"My name is Thalios Octavion, Emperor Ceasar.", Thalios said camly.

"Yes, please continue Thalios, tell me how I am wrong.", Ceasar said resting his chin in the palm of his hands.

"Well Emperor Ceasar, it seems to me you are neglecting the needs of the people by ignoring the senate. I mean, sure the war is great and all, but Emperor I believe the people should come first and there voice should be heard.", Thalios said to the emperor.

The senate burst into whispers again as Thalios stopped talking.
"Well Thalios the people of Rome seem to enjoy the war. It brings pride to the empire.", Ceasar answered back.

"That is true Sir, but what good is war when the people who are ment to celebrate it are starving and dieng. It looks like to me Ceasar you care more about the war then the citzens of the Roman Empire. It seems to me your putting your own veiw of the empire on the people." Thalios shot back.

Right after Thalios had finished his sentence somone from the senate shouted out "The Emperor is a no better ruler then a boy." The senate burst out into whispers and light snickering and laughter. Ceasar saw this and was becoming enraged. Ceasar stood up calmly however and hid his anger behind a grin.

"Well put Thalios.....thank you for your input.", Ceasar said nodding to the boy.

"Your welcome sir" Thalios bowed to the Emperor and walked back to his seat.

"If this is all, I will be going back to my room. Gooday senate.", Ceasar turned to Tantilus who was still snickering at the previouse comment by one of the senators. This inraged Ceasar more and Tantilus could see that and he quickly stopped, gathering a straight face. " No one makes a joke of Ceasar, no one! Especially a boy.......", Ceasar said with firey eyes. "Tantilus....find out about this boy and have his house burned to the ground, also have him captured and brung to me."

"But, sire he is only a boy......", Tantilus said raising his eyebrow.

Ceasar grabbed the pudgy face of Tantilus and looked into his eyes. "Do it Tantilus.....or I will take it out on you!", Ceasar said threatingly.

"Yes sire.....of course", Tantilus said trying not to look into the revenge filled eyes of Ceasar.

"Wow,Thalios you sure told the Emperor off", Romulus said as they walked out the palace behind Cathious.

"I worry for this boys safety....ive seen men killed by Ceasar for less", Cathious thought to himself as he walked.

"Yep Romulus, I'll make a find Senator.", Thalios said proudly.

"Yes I agree....Thalios. Anyways, Romulus wills ee you tommorow Thalios after he is done with work that is." Cathious said with chuckles as Romulus groaned. Cathousess light smile turned into a worried and seriouse look as he turned to Thalios. "Oh and one more thing Thalios, be careful..."

Thalios raised his eyebrow and nodded without a word. he turned away from Romulus and Cathius and heded home witht the sunset behind him....

This is the end of the chapter, It wasnt that action packed, but I hope you enjoyed anyways. Also, I know this chapter dosnt seem to match the last one all that much, but it will all make since later. So please keep suggesting, commenting, questioning, and of course READING! More sooooooon.

- Me
Old August 16, 2002, 21:14   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:10
that was great!! Keep it up!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 24, 2002, 14:31   #7
Ksim3000
Chieftain

Great story! I can't wait to read more!
Old August 28, 2002, 20:17   #8
Civ3King
Chieftain

And I continue, with Chapter 3 "A Rainy Day"

Thalios could see a cloud of smoke rising from his home from the distants as he strolled down the quiet streets of Rome. The smoke reminded him of the warm inviting fires hes mother would usually make as he prepared for another good meal. Thalios soon picked up his feet and begain to run home, driven by his thoughts of a welcoming home.

"Thats odd", Thaliso thought to himself cocking his head as he looked up at the unsually large smoke clouds. "Maybe were just having a bigger dinner or a warmer fire." He said to himself not giving a second though to the matter.

Thalios looked around his neighborhood of huge mansion owned by the wealthy locals. It was quieter then usually...even though it was already quiet. It was still quieter then usuall. As if everyone in the neighborhood was somwhere else.

"Good Gods a fire!!! Help somone Help!!", I cry from an odler lady broke Thalioses thoughts. He looked down the street towards where the sound had came from. Thalios darted down the street. The cloud of smoke was becoming larger and thicker and the smell of burining wood was in the air. Thalioses house came over the horizon with the black cloud looming over his home as if a symbol of death. The cries became louder and the smell more powerful. Thalios stopped a few feet infront of his burning smokey home. It was then he relized it was not the smoke of an inviting warm fire....the smell of freshly prepared food...or the smile of his mothers lovely face. Thalios went to the door of his home, which was blocked by wood and some rubble. He quickly moved the planks of wood away and climbed over the concrete stones. Neighbors watched helplessly as the boy ran into his home only watching nervously and shocked.

"Mother!! Mother!! Where are you?!!!", Thalios cried as he searched through the house dodging flames and falling rubble. He searched through every room and finally came into his mothers bedroom. Thalioses eyes instantly swelled up with tears as he saw the horrible seen.... Before him was his mothers body hanging by a neck aroudn her throut. He walked up to his mother in disbelief, hoping all this was nothing more than a nightmare. However he did not wake up. He layed his head against his mothers body and cried on her dress, ignoring the fire and smoke aroudn him. The feelings of sadness, anger, and revenge all swirled together in his mind. He looked up at his mothers cold lifeless face and walked back. He moved his down her body and turned his attention to a book which was oddly still grasped in his mothers white hands. He slowly took the book out her hand which was entitled "Diary" and held it tight. He kissed his mothers hands, looked up at her one last time and turned around. He dashed out the room and down the halls of his once grand home, only thinking about his mother and the times they had spent together. Finally he broke his deep thoughts and looked around noticing he was infront of his home with the neighbors gawking at him.

"There he is.", A man said pointing Thalos out to the Legion beside him. "Thats the boy you want."

The solider turned to Thalios and walked over to him, "You! Boy! By order of the Emperor I was ordered to capture and bring you to him"

Confussion added to the already mixed emotions of Thalios and the only thing he could think to do was run and run he did.

"Hey!! Come back here boy!!!", the soldier screamed as he chased Thalios down the street.

Thalios quickly turned right and hid behind the walls of the Aqueducts, hoping the soldier would pass him. Hes hoped were fufilled and the soldier passed by him. Thalios sighed with relief and caught his breath. He rose slowly and turned around slightly. Just as he turned a hand touched his shoulder scarrying Thalios out of his wits. He turned around quickly meeting the freindly face of Cathius.

"Cathius Sir!! Im so glad its you.", Thalios said happily hugging him.

Cathius pushed him back and beging to speak with a stern and seriouse face. "Theres no time for freindly meetings Thalios. You are being hunted down..."

Thalioses eyes widned in fear, "By who??!! Why? What did I do?"

"The Emperor Thalios....Ceasar. When you spoke up against him and embarresed him infront of the elite of Rome you made a strong enemy."

"But I dint mean to.....", Thalios said with eyes of confussion and inosense.

"I know, but Ceasar sees otherwise...Thalios.....I need you to do something...and I need you to do it soon.", Cathious said looking down at Thalios.

Thalios nodded and wiped his eyes, "W...W..What?.."

"I need you to go to the docks and take one of merchant ships I own to a newly conqured land called "England". There you will be safe. It will have a symbol on the sail like this one..", Cathius showed him a symbol which had and eagle perched above two hands , each holding something to trade the other with. "You must go tommorow, early in the morning, do you understand Thalios?"

Thalios nodded still not very sure on what to do.

"Good. Be safe Thalius and stay alive. Ok?"

"Yes Sir"

Cathius nodded, smiled at Thalios and said his goodbye.

"Wait!!", Thalios yelled.

Cathius turned around, "Yes?"

"Tell Romulus I will see him soon, ok?"

Cathius chuckled and nodded, "I will Thalios I will..."

Thalios watched Cathious walk away as the sun finally set over the hills of Rome...

Thalios woke up to the sound of busy markets in the forum. It was a cloudy and it seemed it was going to rain soon. Thalios got up and looked around.

"Maybe it was all a dream..", Thalios thought, but was soon proven wong as he looked down at his mothers half burned Diary. The tears welled up in his eyes again as he remebered the horrors that had happened the day before. However, they stopped as he also remebered what Cathious had told him to do.
Thalios west towards the docks hoping it wasn't too late before the ship had sailed. After a long run throught the streets of Rome he arrived at the half empty docks. Sea spray and the smell of sea water it his face as he walked around the docks looking for the ship Cathious had told him about yesterday. The docks werent very full, probally because of the coming storm.

"Maybe the ship already sailed....maybe the ship din't come because of the storm.....maybe..", Thalioses thoughts of doubt were cut off by the sight of a sail carrying the symbol of the eagly and the trading hands. Thalios ran towards the docked ship and studied it a bit as he stopped infront of it. He finally walked up the plank leading to the ships deck.

"Move out the way kid", A man said who was hauling a crate into the ship.

Thalios moved quickly to the side and followed behind the man. he curiously walked around the galley taking in every sight and sound. Finally he just sat down on the side of the ship and watched everyone work around him. No one payed much attention to him or said anything, so Thalios just sat quiet.

"Time to set sail!!!", A man called as the plank was lowered and the ship was untied from the dock.

Thalios looked over the edge of the ship watching it slowly float away from the dock because of the movment of long oars jutting from the ships center into the water. He turned around and looked around then finally looked down at the diary he had yet to read. Thalios opened the diary and read the chapters of his mothers deepest thoughts and memoryies. But, out of all the chapters Thalios read...one chapter would trully change his life.........

Year 510, July 29.

"Me and my husband were travelling through the newly discovered land of "England", at which Rome was currently at war with. We were looking to see the sights of this new world and maybe find new things trade with, but we could only find remnients of Engalish villages now abandoned. However we did find one treasure in some woods north of a recently destroyed village....We were being escorted by some legions through the woods, so we would be "safe" from barbarians (so the legions called the defending villagers). During a travel through the woods we heard a faint crying..as if a child was crying. We quickly investigated the sound and found an abandoned babby in a log. After much debate I convinced my husband to adopt the child. We could not produce a son of are own since the god of fertilty had not blessed us. I took it as a gift from the gods and named the baby "Thalios". Proud of are new son we went back to Rome and raised him as are own. I hope to be with Thalios until my death....May the gods bless are son......."

The rest of the page was burned and the ink begin to run from the now pouring rain. Thalios closed the book in disbelief. He began to hate his mother for not telling him the truth and his father for leaving them (dieing). However his hate faded away and he could only look over the misty sea in sadness. His eyes soon became heavy and the gentle sound of the ships oars moving against the water, rocked him to sleep......

This is the end of the Chapter. More to come

- Me
Old August 28, 2002, 21:43   #9
dnassman
Warlord

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 29, 2002, 18:52   #10
Ksim3000
Chieftain

Great!
Old September 1, 2002, 09:42   #11
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

So when does the film come out.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old September 1, 2002, 20:13   #12
Civ3King
Chieftain

Thank you guys for your comments. . Now on to Chapter 4: "A New Life"

"London ahead!!!", The shout of the captain woke Thalios up from his deep slumber. Thalios yawned and rubbed his eyes trying to make out the new scene.

"Whats going on?", He said to himself gettting up slowly.

"Were at the docks of London kid. Get ready to start unloading the stock". A 5'8 Roman man said pointing at a pile of bags marked "German Spices".

"Wha...what? I dont understand...", Thalios said scratching his head.

"You heard me kid, grab a bag and start unloading the ship! Isn't that why your here? Havn't you ever done hard work before?!"

"I use to run to the market and get food for my mom....", Thalios replied.

"Very funny kid. Now start unloading!! Hop to it!!"

Thalios nodded and went over to the bag of spices. He lifted one bag with all his strength and struggled to carry it off the galley to the docks. He continued the task one bag after another, forgetting everything that happened before , worrying only about the job at hand. The day was half way over when Thalios finished.

The 5'8 Roman who had sent him to the hard task came over and scopped what Thalios had done. "Nice job kid. A little slow, but good enough." He then dropped 5 coins with a picture of a pale women with red hair and a stern face.

"Whats this?" , Thalios said studying the foreing object.

"Its your pay", the man replied

"This isnt Roman. Are you trying to trick me?", Thalios said with a suspicouse face.

"Kid, your not in Rome anymore.", the man said walking away.

The mans reply finally sunk into Thalioses head. It seemed realty just hit him all at once. There was no more Rome, it was now a quiet little English town named London". He had no home, no security, no one to go to when he wa sin trouble. He was by himself now. Thalios walked into London taking in everything. Not that there was much to take in. The street was no more then dirt, the homes were all made of wood, and the only public building besides the market place was a temple dedicated to some almight god. It was no Rome, but it was a freindly town and already Thalios was warming up to it.

Thalioses stomach began to rumble. He hadnt had any food since his trip., "Man am I hungry..Wonder if theres a place to eat around here." Thalios spotted a man coming out some buidling with a sing reading "London Tavern". He couldnt read the sign seeing as he din't know how to read the english language, however he knew a few words and could understand a bit.

"Thank the gods for that "Languages of the Roman Empire class I took", Thalios thought to himself.

Thalios strolled into the tavern and looked around. Ahead of him was a bar where a few men were drinking wine and laughing it up. To the right and left were where people could sit and order food. Thalios sat down at table to the right that was set against the wall. He looked around the tavern again and finally outside the window. A middle aged women with brown hair like Thalioses came to his table.

"What can I get you mate?", the lady said with a smile.

"Umm..errr....I'll have what there having...", Thalios said pointing to three men at the bar guzzling down beer.

"Beer? Your cute kid. Umm...I'll just get ya some water...", she said laughing.

"Umm...sure, thank you ma'am.", Thalios said giving her a goofy smile.

"Say whats a lil mate like you doing in a tuff tavern alone?", she asked coking her head.

"I came here from Rome, my mother was killed and well I took a ship and landed here.", Thalios said looking down.

"Oh...sorry to hear kid....Umm I'll go get you that water now.", The waitress turned around and walked off to the back of the Tavern.

Thalios sighed and stared out window as he waited for his drink. After about 2 minutes the waitress came back with the half pint of water.

"Here you are kid", she said setting the water infront of him.

"Thank you", He said gulping down the water before the waitress could even leave. "How much for the water?"

"Don't worry about it mate..its on the house this time."

Thalios smiled, "Thanks."

"No problem kid."

As the waitress went to another table, Thalios got up from his wooden seat and heded out the door. Or so he thought he would...

"Well looky what we have here ...A stray kid..", A fat and seemingly druken man said stumbling in the way of Thalioses path.

"Umm...hello sir..", Thalios said nervously.

"Hey kid...what you got there under that nice looking cloth?", The man said stuttering and pointing at the coin sack under his robe.

"This "cloth" is a robe sir and this is my coin sack.", Thalios said a bit annoyed.

"Ooooh, well excuse me good sir, I dint know your were one of those "High Class" types from Rome.", The man said laughing.
The drunk man snatched the coin bag from the kids side and looked into it.

"HEY!! Give that back. You...you.... theif!!!", Thalios said jumping in the air trying to grab the sack.

The fat man pushed Thalios. He stummbled back and tripped on a chair leg, landing on his butt. "Hmph!, Only five gold..Oh well its better than nothing. Thanks kid. HA!"

The waitress who had served Thalios earlier saw the scene and decided to take action. "John!! You bumbling fat idiot. How many times do I have ta tell ya not to mess with the customers!!"

"I wasnt doing anything...I was only talking with the boy...thats all me lady.", The fat man said with a toothless grin.

"Ya I bet, Now give that kid back his money. Or i'll have to ruff ya up. Got it mate?", The waitress said with a grin

"Oooh, Im so scared...Whats a pretty lil lady like yourself gunna do to a strong big man like me eh?", John said arrogantly.

The waitress rolled her eyes and went over to "John the Drunk" as he was often called.

"Calm on me lady give me your best shot. Right in me nose."

The waitress smiled and brung her arm up and her hand into a fist. Thalios sat quiet and watched the scene. As did the rest of the tavern. She swung her arm out and her fist made direct contact with the drunkereds nose. All that was heard was a load "Whap!!" and John was knocked out on the floor.

"Never call me your lady again. Hmph", The waitress said grabbing Thalioses sack of gold back from him. She went over to Thalios who was still on the ground and dropped the sack into his hands. "Here you are mate."

"Thanks again.", Thalios said in amazment.

"No problem mate...Just be more careful next time."

"Yes ma'am."

The waitress walked off then stopped. "Hey kid, Ive been thinking.."

"Yes?"

"The streets of London are no place for a little mate like you. You can stay here for a while tell you find a job or something...."

"Wow, really? Thanks alot!!", Thalios said happly.

"Well dont get to happy mate, you'll have to do some work around here while your staying."

"Umm...ok thats fine with me.", Thalios said with a nod.

"Good, you can start by clearing that table. Got it mate?"

Thalios nodded and went over to the table and began to clear it of the cups and left over food.

"I have a good feeling about this kif..not sure why, but I do..", The waitress thought to herself as she watched him work.

After the tavern closed Thalios and the waitress were in the back counting the taverns prophet.

"Only 32 coins....Its been slow buisness ever since the Romans came...", The waitress said sighing.

"Romans?", Thalios asked.

"Yep, ever since the Romans arrived and started there conquest of the Isle business had been slow..all the men have been out trying to fight them off instead of having a drink here.. They already have a hold in London." the waitress said with a sigh.

"Oh...I am.....well i was a Roman...tell me and my mother were hunted down by the Emperor." Thalios said having flash backs of it in his mind.

"Heh, my family was a victim of Rome to....There armies marched into my village and killed my husband. Eventually I was caught....and well I had to abandon my baby in the woods. His name was Luther. I loved him so much..." She said trying to hold back her tears.

Thalios quickly pulled out Delias diary and turned to the page where he had last read on the ship. "Look at this!!" Thalios shouted putting the book to her face.

"Whats this?", She asked raising her eyebrow and looking down at the half burned page.

"Just read it!!"

"Hmm its written in latin....good thing I learned a bit from the passing legion armies. She read the diary entry and finally put down the book and looked up at Thalios. She sat there for a minute quiet then finally spoke. "Its an intresting story, but it could be any village or baby on the Isle. The legions have destroyed so many..."

"Oh....well it was worth a try I guess.", Thalios said a bit sad.

"Sorry lil mate.", The waitress sat quiet for a moment then spoke up again. "Well there is a way we can see if your my son or not."

"How is that?" Thalios asked curiously.

"Well....Luther had a birth mark on his right arm that was in the shape of an English longsword. If you have that birth mark....then theres a possibilty you might be Luther.", let me have a look see at your right arm.

Thalios pushed up the sleeve on his robe and there it was..... a birth make the shape of a longsword.

The waitress jolted up from her seat and covered her mouth in shock. "You...cant be him....." She looked closer at Thalios and studied him. "Can you?"

"I dont know, I thought you would know!", Thalios said.

"Well you look more English then Roman to me...thats for sure. I...just dont know what to think.", She quietly sat down and re-read the diary. After a few minuted she spoke up again. "Well anyways....whats your name kid?"

"Its Thalios. What about you?"

"My name is Fellina..I own this Tavern.", she said proudly.

"You have a lovely name.", Thalios said with a smile.

"Thank you Thalios. Umm.....Its getting late Thalios....I think you better get to bed. It might be a busy day tommorow. Your room is down the hall to the right."

Thalios nodded and walked off to his room and slept there tell the next day. Fellina never did ask Thalios to leave his home. He was a good help to her and she began to treat him as her son. Even if she never really knew if he was Luther. Her love grew stronger for Thalios everyday as did Roman oppresion on London.....

This is the end of Chapter 4. (There will be a tons more action in the next chapter. Just bare with me please). Comments, questions, ect....

- Me
Old September 1, 2002, 21:02   #13
dnassman
Warlord

keep it coming.
Old September 2, 2002, 12:45   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

With or Without tons of action to come this is great,please keep writing.
Old September 4, 2002, 17:49   #15
Ksim3000
Chieftain

I can't wait for you to write some more! Keep It up!
Old September 9, 2002, 23:42   #16
Hopdevil007
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 01:10
cool story. a little cleche and needs some proofing but, still good.