Old August 16, 2002, 15:18   #1
HappySunShine
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
These civ3 people will be easy pickings in MP
It seems that alot of the civ3 players don't like rushing...nor do they like competition...or micromanaging...or anything they don't feel is in the FUN spirit of the game. Even the famed Velociryx has turned out to be nothing more than an SP rookie with pretty words. Yes, we will dominate civ3 and we shall rule under an iron fist! Take heed my comrades for in just a few months time we shall establish our rule ove the SP rookies that inhabit the civ3 forums. And a glorius rule it shall be!! MUWAHAHAHAA!!!
Old August 16, 2002, 16:20   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

For once, I totally agree with you. (yes, I'm shocked)
MP is a totally different game and it should be quite interesting.

RAH
We're better than the AI
Old August 16, 2002, 16:40   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I'm surprised by their attitudes.
They don't see the need to micro manage to maximize their potential...
(they make it sound like you need spread sheets to do it )

They will ignore a strategy because it might not be fun...
They don't want to play with people who treat it as a war game... Are they in for a shock.

They obviously haven't played much Civ MP

They can always create their version of the "Diplomatic" game... and we can expect them to degenerate into war fests later
Old August 16, 2002, 17:12   #4
HappySunShine
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

I've designed 3 rushes already....and they hit nearly as early as they do in civ2!! HAHAHAHAA!!! In some ways I think civ3 makes it easier to rush. Don't tell them that in the civ3 forum though, I'm enjoying my thread. As long as they don't **** up MP I will still dominate. Even more so because there's no longer any hut luck.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:23   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 06:13
It seems that alot of the civ3 players don't like rushing...nor do they like competition...or micromanaging...or anything they don't feel is in the FUN spirit of the game.

and

They will ignore a strategy because it might not be fun...

Are the two that puzzle me most.

That's a big on avoiding it if it's not fun! I can go out in my day-to-day life and have as little fun as a fellow can possibly imagine! But when I sit down to play a computer game, I'm looking to have....fun. I paid sixty bucks to be entertained. At least they pay ME to go to work at my current job....I guess what surprises me most is that there are people who would pay good money to do something that might NOT be fun....or am I missin' a part of the equation?

-=Vel=-
Thanks for saying my words were "pretty," Sunshine
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:34   #6
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Sometimes winning is hard work
Old August 16, 2002, 17:40   #7
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

And geting your head handed to you isn't fun either
Old August 16, 2002, 17:44   #8
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

True....and come to think of it, neither was paying the extra ten bucks for the Limited Edition tin (thanks to you both for NOT commenting on that, btw).

Dunno....two different schools of thought I s'pose.

-Cheers

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:49   #9
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
True....and come to think of it, neither was paying the extra ten bucks for the Limited Edition tin (thanks to you both for NOT commenting on that, btw).

Gee I seem to remember making fun of the limited edition. But if you missed it and bought it, for THAT please accept my deepest apologies. At least I use the expensive tin to store all my old civ discs and manuals.
Still useless.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:52   #10
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Acually the warrior rush will be quite effective thanks to the wonderful combat model. Even vet phalanx fortified on good terrain will eventually lose.
Old August 16, 2002, 18:18   #11
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
(thanks to you both for NOT commenting on that, btw).
Why should I bring it up... I spent the extra bucks too.
Old August 16, 2002, 18:23   #12
Tuberski

How are you MP Wizards any better than the AI. I know what the AI is going to do, and I know what you are going to do.

I will remain a SP game player because I like to change my way of playing, I like to be able to try new things.

With MP, I won't be able to do that will I?

I will have to follow your mindless rush strategies(tactics) to stand a chance.

Sunshine: You make me laugh.

MP doesn't make a person good at the game.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 16, 2002, 19:10   #13
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MP is the thing that makes a person truly great at the game.... though there are many SP out there who simply do not have the time.......the computer is a joke....the real Sun tzus are those who play other humans....unless you give me Deep Blue to run the ai...i/most will crush it everytime

as for the rush....well.....so be it....there will be ways around it.....but its the first strat that will be used....

justlike civ 2...when the game ages...we will all be playing it differently
Old August 16, 2002, 19:25   #14
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I've read some crap on this site, but this lot takes the cake. A bunch of "big-shots" smarming it up cos they play CIV2 MP.... the game where you can obliterate your enemy with arty.

Just because we dont like playing the rush game doesnt mean we cant. I dont play the same chess gambit every time either.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 16, 2002, 19:28   #15
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
MP is the thing that makes a person truly great at the game.... though there are many SP out there who simply do not have the time.......the computer is a joke....the real Sun tzus are those who play other humans....unless you give me Deep Blue to run the ai...i/most will crush it everytime

as for the rush....well.....so be it....there will be ways around it.....but its the first strat that will be used....

justlike civ 2...when the game ages...we will all be playing it differently
How is it that only people who play MP, say that? Just because you can beat other MP players doesn't make you great.

I've never played MP, Does this automatically mean I am a bad player, or as sunshine says a "rookie"?

No it doesn't, it means I don't see how doing the same thing game after game is much fun.

Who the hell am I going to brag to? Other people on the board?

Then I wouldn't be seen as any better than sunshineboy.

And who needs that?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 16, 2002, 20:08   #16
Ming
lifer
Retired

I think it's safe to say that MP and SP are TOTALLY different games.

I know people who can kill the AI without even thinking... and then get smashed when having to play somebody else who actually thinks...

Time will tell on this game. The original strategies we used with Civ II MP are no longer being used. The strategies evolve as we learn more about the dynamics that MP brings to the game. I'm sure the same will happen with Civ III.

And I will have to say... If you have never played Civ MP, then you are a rookie... by definition... no insult intended...
Old August 16, 2002, 21:04   #17
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 08:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

I've never played MP, Does this automatically mean I am a bad player, or as sunshine says a "rookie"?

No it doesn't, it means I don't see how doing the same thing game after game is much fun.
1. Yes it does.

2. What makes you think I am doing the same thing game after game?
Old August 16, 2002, 21:08   #18
SmartFart
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I've read some crap on this site, but this lot takes the cake. A bunch of "big-shots" smarming it up cos they play CIV2 MP.... the game where you can obliterate your enemy with arty.
You mean obliterate AI with an arty.

You know how many times I saw howitzers in mp? Zero times.
Artillery....maybe 5-6. Vast mayority of the games are over before tactics.
Old August 16, 2002, 21:15   #19
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartFart

1. Yes it does.

2. What makes you think I am doing the same thing game after game?
1. I've played these games at least as long as you have, I am a rookie at MP, not TBS games.
Of course, I always will be a rookie at MP.

2. You mean to tell me that you can actually have a builder strat in MP?

Not according to the post below:

Quote:

You mean obliterate AI with an arty.

You know how many times I saw howitzers in mp? Zero times.
Artillery....maybe 5-6. Vast mayority of the games are over before tactics.
No tactics? How can you possible be a builder in that time?
Old August 16, 2002, 21:17   #20
Velociryx
staff

Intriguing that a game called Civilization, supposedly representing the grand, epic sweep of time and human history is over in MP before tactics, in most cases.

-=Vel=-
Old August 16, 2002, 21:33   #21
SmartFart
King

Pure builder - hardly without Great Wall even on large maps.
Hybrid - thats me (in MP I mean ).

No offense,but I don't see the point of this debate when you have only SP expirience and I have both.

But for heavens sake if you find SP challenging and entertaining,have fun. It's all that matters isn't it?
Old August 16, 2002, 21:48   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:13
Re: These civ3 people will be easy pickings in MP
Quote:
Originally posted by HappySunShine
It seems that alot of the civ3 players don't like rushing...nor do they like competition...or micromanaging...or anything they don't feel is in the FUN spirit of the game. Even the famed Velociryx has turned out to be nothing more than an SP rookie with pretty words. Yes, we will dominate civ3 and we shall rule under an iron fist! Take heed my comrades for in just a few months time we shall establish our rule ove the SP rookies that inhabit the civ3 forums. And a glorius rule it shall be!! MUWAHAHAHAA!!!
If you're so great, your majesty, then play me once PtW comes out, and we'll see who's better, your highness.

Unless you're afraid to face a 'rookie'...
Old August 16, 2002, 21:50   #23
Tuberski

Quote:
Pure builder - hardly without Great Wall even on large maps.
Hybrid - thats me (in MP I mean ).

No offense,but I don't see the point of this debate when you have only SP expirience and I have both.

But for heavens sake if you find SP challenging and entertaining,have fun. It's all that matters isn't it?

OF course that is all that matters.

And no offense taken, I'm at work and have to do SOMETHING with my time.

Old August 17, 2002, 00:48   #24
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 16:13
MarkG can stop us spamming their forums but he cannot stop us smashing their civs

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 17, 2002, 03:23   #25
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
MP is the thing that makes a person truly great at the game.... though there are many SP out there who simply do not have the time.......
Ok Tubby..this is what i wrote..... it doesn't state that if you dont' play MP you aren't a good/great player....

the ........ after "do not have time" implies that there are some great SP out there who don't play MP....

some names.. DaveV, Scouse Gits, Marquis , and the list goes on and on......

Almost all of us here at the site...can whup the ai on any level, setting etc..... the only thing all games have in common is their objective.....to win, and to have fun.

if you have fun playing an ai which does the same thing each game....fine i prefer to play humans on different settings, levels etc . who all take different paths to glory/destruction.

In the old days.......games went longer...but were all so much better now..so games end alot quicker....

i play the mongols.....but if my opponents were to characterize my play, it would say AGGRESSIVE, EXPANSIONIST, and MILITARISTIC.... like any other MP player.

Go build your ship in SP..hide behind an attrocious AI..... but until you step into the arena of death, and sink your teeth into a REAL opponent, your nothing but a civver who is good at an easy SP TBS game

and if you think SP games are different , your gravely mistaken.......there is only one aspect of this game to master....and that is trade

*steps off soapbox as he is pelted by fruit from the SP community*
Old August 17, 2002, 03:36   #26
markusf
King

in civ 2 there is a HUGE difference between a AI player and a human player. In civ3 i think there won't be much of a difference especially if your playing on diety. The AI cheats like crazy and attacks with stacked units and you can only kill one at a time. Unlike civ2 you actually need a bit of skill to defend yourself. If you have played on diety you will notice its not uncommon to see the AI send a stack of 90 units at you. If anything civ3 will take 3 times as long to play as civ 2..
Old August 17, 2002, 11:38   #27
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Local Time: 00:13
"The AI cheats like crazy "
this really puts me off civ 3...ive played and played and only get mad and throw in the towel cursing the monitor.

i think when it finally comes out in mp
then having a game with only human players will end that won't it?
Old August 17, 2002, 14:23   #28
Ming
lifer
Retired

Again... different game... different strategies.

Anybody that has played Civ II MP knows the difference You win by crushing your opponents. It's that simple.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:10   #29
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Over in Civ3 Strategy, some of us have been playing a conquest-only challenge that a poster named 1337 put up... it sounds sort of like the way you guys describe Civ2 MP.

In it, I built just Settlers, Temples, Barracks, Warriors (which upgrade to Swordsmen), Swordsmen, and Knights.

I crushed everything in my path.

It was boring, though, compared to a "full" game.

Is that overcome in MP by the fact that you're beating humans, rather than the AI?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:42   #30
markusf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Over in Civ3 Strategy, some of us have been playing a conquest-only challenge that a poster named 1337 put up... it sounds sort of like the way you guys describe Civ2 MP.

In it, I built just Settlers, Temples, Barracks, Warriors (which upgrade to Swordsmen), Swordsmen, and Knights.

I crushed everything in my path.

It was boring, though, compared to a "full" game.

Is that overcome in MP by the fact that you're beating humans, rather than the AI?
crushing everything in site is very boring in civ3. So is playing the game and not attacking.. Whoever gets a army of 10 or 12 units first will win..