Old August 16, 2002, 16:17   #1
Foolishman
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Jaguar Infantry Tactic (Aztec)
I found this out while playing the aztecs first in warlord, and then in regent.

First, this stratagy is STRICTLY an EARLY MILITARY stratagy. By early, I mean real early, I mean by 3500-2000/1500BC. So don't come complaining when you develope too slow and attack the enemy way too late.

Now to begine. Jaguar Infantry are one of the unused special units because people never seriously consider them. When I was playing the Aztecs on a Normal Sized map, I had three enemy civs right by me, I was worried because I had chosen the Aztecs, and I ussauly stick with the chinese or persians. So, I started looking in civopedia about their special unit, I looked at it, and discovered it had a 2 movement points, at first, I thought it could be a good scout, but, I discovered that most of the Ais around me had not yet made any spearman by 2000Bc. So, I wondered to myself, "Hm, perhaps enough could overwhelm the warrior and instantly gte em another city and seriously damage them!" SO, I restarted the game and made on for scouting and then a barracks, then a settler so I could specialize, and then devoted the capital to making more. When I had about three veterans (using the scouter Jagaur, two vteran also worked) I rushed them to the edge of the civs boarder. I then traded any last last agreements with that civ and attacked them. (The buetiful part about this is that they can't pop-rush a spearman and halt your offensive on the one or two warriors!) They sued for peace and gave me techs and gold, and I moved right on too the two other civs by me!
Also, making the barracks may slow you down, if you can, tell your laborer to harvets on the forest, the two shields combined with the one you make in a city will really help you make that barracks faster then working on a unshieled grassland if you have none. I have only tried this on warlord and regent, and it worked like a charm, I was able to over-run every civ on the immediat area and stunt their developement. I am also quite pleased that when you enter the later half of the ancient times, you can simply make swordsman, and forill your early military conquest.

SO in general, I summerize the usefulness of the Jagaurs like this. "Fast, cheap, and good early military units"

I know this is open for some speculation, and that it might be better for some of you to just poor your hearts into archers, but, they are too slow, and horseman take to logn to research, and when you get them, you ahve to make a ton to overcome spearman.

Please send me any comments, or anything to contridict this, but, I think I may have stumbled onto a great early military unit!

-Ronald
Old August 16, 2002, 16:30   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Bravo! You have discovered the joys of the Feathered Legion!

They're *awesome* in the ancient era!
Your game is as good as won!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Last edited by Velociryx; August 16, 2002 at 16:36.
Old August 16, 2002, 16:32   #3
Foolishman
Chieftain

I knew they were good, I knew it, and I had no help from any of you so great experts!!
Old August 16, 2002, 16:42   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
You need to look at some of the older threads, specifically on UUs.

Also, you might want to take a look at the topped thread by Jeff Morris, on the relative strength of units in different eras.

Aeson, if I remember, is a master at using JWs... for more than just bopping Warriors on the head! Resource denial, pillaging, etc.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 16, 2002, 16:43   #5
Foolishman
Chieftain

Although,there is one slight problem with using the Jaguars, they will ussauly cause a GA too early, you MUST take this in to accoutn when playing them, an early GA will often not help you as much as a late one, BUT, it coudl very much help your military posisition
Old August 16, 2002, 17:14   #6
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:13
I'm afraid YOU have lived up to your name.

There are multiple threads on this very subject - both Vel and I have lauded the Aztecs in the past. Look under the "Civilizations" forum.

After many botched attempts with the Persians, I implemented this strategy with the Aztecs and started to really command Civ III. It is very fun.

Now - you will find many strategies for other Civs under the forum I've already mentioned. Have fun exploiting them as well.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:16   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Also in the Strategy forum.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 16, 2002, 17:56   #8
Foolishman
Chieftain

I am sorry if I offended you, I have started this game but not three weeks ago, I did not know "you" made it.
Old August 16, 2002, 20:13   #9
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:13
I guess you are expected to RESEARCH every topic going back months before posting to avoid redundancy!

Give the guy a break.
Old August 16, 2002, 20:17   #10
Tuberski

Normally, poeple will start a post with things like "have any of you...."

Not with supposedly stinging remarks like "I knew they were good, I knew it, and I had no help from any of you so great experts!! "

If this isn't a DL of HappySunshine, I'd be suprised.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 16, 2002, 20:20   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:13
I've always been quite a big fan of the Jaguar Warrior, I have always found them good scouts and their extra movement points means that they can attack and run against many other ancient units...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 16, 2002, 20:27   #12
Theseus
Emperor

Tube,

I think Fm is a new and enthusiastic poster, not a DL. He's actually already throwing out some really good ideas (and some great quotes). He's just learning the 'poly "style" as he goes along.

Old August 16, 2002, 20:29   #13
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Tube,

I think Fm is a new and enthusiastic poster, not a DL. He's actually already throwing out some really good ideas (and some great quotes). He's just learning the 'poly "style" as he goes along.

You may be right, I just read the thread where Sunshine came and shined for all of us, and FM sounded kind of the same.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 16, 2002, 20:33   #14
Foolishman
Chieftain

Hm, perhaps, I shoudl research all your first, it just seemed pretty smart with the jags when I tried out the Aztecs, maybe I should keeps ome ideas just to myself to avoid "copyright" problems with more senior officials.

Albert Strassen- "Ah but alas, for in a land of patents, we all suffer the indignity of ignorance!"
Old August 16, 2002, 20:39   #15
Theseus
Emperor

Nonono, keep them coming.

'Poly got a little testy for a moment (me too, I apologize to all), everybody should calm down.

I think part of the problem is that a number of the good older threads are not immediately evident. So let's fix that....

Old August 16, 2002, 20:40   #16
Foolishman
Chieftain

Hm, I really like this apolyton thingy, it conjects stratagies and skill that people would have to work mounths for, but the guidlines and rules on statements are kinda confusing, maybe, this isn't so much a newbies place to get ideas, but more a place for experts to dwell.
Old August 16, 2002, 20:48   #17
Foolishman
Chieftain

Wow, SUnshine thing is so long, sorry if I do not respond, the thingy on luck I want to read, I have lost due to it. Bye now.

-Ronald
Old August 16, 2002, 20:51   #18
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Foolishman
Hm, perhaps, I shoudl research all your first, it just seemed pretty smart with the jags when I tried out the Aztecs, maybe I should keeps ome ideas just to myself to avoid "copyright" problems with more senior officials.

Albert Strassen- "Ah but alas, for in a land of patents, we all suffer the indignity of ignorance!"
Foolishman, do not take it that personally. The thing is that the strategy you discovered has already been discussed many times from various viewpoints. It is not very appropriate to use constructions like "people never seriously consider them", as they are not true.

I know it was nice of you to share a working strategy with us. However, I believe that for a relative newcomer you are, it may be a bit better to just follow the discussions here at Poly for a short while (to see what's been discussed and how), participating in them and only a bit later start your own strategy threads.

This also addresses what Coracle objects. No need to search through old threads (notable exceptions exist, of course). Just watch the life here for a month or so and you will get a good grasp of what's "widely known"...
Old August 16, 2002, 21:20   #19
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Foolishman

Hell don't do that. All I wanted to make clear is that, you can't automatically assume that nobody else has thought of something. I was nice to everybody for my first couple of months here. Now? not always.....