Prince

Local Time: 08:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Restarting the game?
Just curious: Under what circumstances do you
restart your game?

Personally I Enjoy challenges. The circumstances should
never be easy but also not impossible.

Thus, If I find myself close to a River from the very beginning of the game, I always restart. (rivers makes the game too easy)

If I find myself close to an area with many cattles and
wheat-resourses, I also restart as I think theese resourses makes city growth happen too quickly during
early game.

I also restart If starting the game on top of a HUGE mountain range or a great tundra that newer can be
transformed into anything useful.
(challenges are fun, yes, but in the case of the tundra
there is nothing to be done - thus there of course is no challenge)

Starting in plains relatively close to either the north or
south tundra is the most fun I think.

Oh yes, I have another criteria as well.
If it becomes clear that I am easily able to build more than 8 cities close
to my starting location whitout running into rival territory, I also restart the game.
(I want to be forced to ACTIVELY SEEK free, nice spots for cities - usually needing to search for new, unclaimed islands)

Mostly I have to restart the game some 50 - 100 times before getting the circumstances I want and it may take several hours.

Come to think of it, I have pressed the "start a new game button" more than a thousand times
but I have finished only about 10-20 of those games.

-S
Old August 16, 2002, 18:02   #2
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wow. That's a lot. I never resart.

I think that it would be more fair/balancing if every civ started out in highly productive terrain, by a river. It is in such regions that early civilizations actually arose, after all (right?).
Old August 16, 2002, 18:38   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
Mostly I have to restart the game some 50 - 100 times before getting the circumstances I want and it may take several hours.
You should consider using the editor to make your map, then give each civ a pop 1 starting city at locations to your liking or manufacture. It would save you a lot of time in the long run.
Old August 16, 2002, 21:25   #4
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:13
I only restart when on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean (on a big map) or when surrounded by tundra for miles and miles.

Some on this thread wouldn't restart for that even...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 16, 2002, 21:59   #5
JohnM2433
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
I only restart when on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean (on a big map) or when surrounded by tundra for miles and miles.
Funny, I always thought it would be interesting to start out on a small island! You'd be forced to a builder strategy with just a few cities (or only one) and try to discover Map Making as soon as possible (and then other naval technologies, if you are indeed in the middle of the ocean). But I've never started like that, and I've never bothered to make a mod/senario.

In one Civ II game I played (or was it Civ I? It's been so long since I played either) the Russians started out on an island just off the coast, which I think was just one or two tiles. I could tell, because that was where their capitol was, and it wouldn't have made any sense for them to move it there. It had quite a large population, and probably lots of improvements as well. I wonder if the Russians knew to make a technological beeline for Map Making?

In one Civ III game, the European civs started out away from the main (super)continent, and thus were technologically underdeveloped, compared to the other civs. Most of them caught up fairly well through trading, but France, which was on an isolated and relatively small land mass of its own with only a medium island nearby to colonize, and which made contact with the main-continents civs far later than anybody else, was doomed to lag behind for the entire game. Not having a local source of iron and some other strategic resources, to say nothing of luxuries, didn't help them either.

So, starting on a small island, or even a large but isolated one, would probably make for a tough game. But some players might enjoy the challenge.
Old August 16, 2002, 22:02   #6
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 06:13
several hours to get a game underway? ouch that's a bit anally retentive, pardon the expression if for some reason that goes against the strict anti-swearing rules.

I personally only restart if I'm stuck in the middle of a mountain/desert range that stretches as far as the eye can see or am stuck slapbang between a few civs and have absolutely no room to expand in.
Old August 16, 2002, 22:32   #7
JohnM2433
Warlord

Yes, most players would probably find it boring. Even I might get sick of it, and I'm the one who suggested it!

Still, I can't help thinking it would be interesting to try...
Old August 17, 2002, 12:43   #8
Saurus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl

You should consider using the editor to make your map, then give each civ a pop 1 starting city at locations to your liking or manufacture. It would save you a lot of time in the long run.
Yes, It would spare me some time, but I would HATE to know how the world looks prior to playing it

-S
Old August 17, 2002, 12:48   #9
Saurus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
several hours to get a game underway? ouch that's a bit anally retentive, pardon the expression if for some reason that goes against the strict anti-swearing rules.

I personally only restart if I'm stuck in the middle of a mountain/desert range that stretches as far as the eye can see or am stuck slapbang between a few civs and have absolutely no room to expand in.
Yes, but there are some posetive aspects of this "hours of restarting" strategy also. That is: When you finally get a game going, then you are really nailed to it since you KNOW that loosing out would cause a several hours
of restarting. That way the game becomse more real and important

-S
Old August 18, 2002, 15:35   #10
C Chulainn
Warlord

I restart if it becomes clear I'm on a little island (this seemed to happen about half the time in Civ2!) with no room to build enough cities, or if I'm stuck surrounded by jungle and/or desert leaving me unable to grab sufficient land.
Old August 18, 2002, 16:49   #11
Thrawn05
King

If I can't make railroads, then I stop.
Old August 18, 2002, 17:40   #12
JohnM2433
Warlord

Quote:
In my last post, I assumed this was in response to my first post about liking the idea of starting on a small island. But after reading Saurus' response, it seems more likely that this comment was aimed at him/her, which I would have realized in the first place if I had thought about it. Oops.

Could you clarify who you were responding to, just so that I can be sure about what you meant? That is, by "getting a game underway", were you just refering to building the first cities, or venturing out to explore the world at large?
Old August 18, 2002, 17:51   #13
JohnM2433
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Saurus
Yes, It would spare me some time, but I would HATE to know how the world looks prior to playing it

-S
Maybe someone else would be willing to design such a map for you? I'm sure that "balanced" maps will be popular when multiplayer comes out. On the other hand, some players will probably like a random start, so that they will have the chance to explore different possibilities. Your starting position could well effect your strategy for the entire game, especially in MP.

I would prefer something in between -- everyone's immediate surrounding are great at the start, but outside of that, things are more random. It seems that the easy way to do that would be to first generate the map, and then assign the best regions as starting locations. I think that civs are already more likely to begin in good terrain than bad -- has anyone else noticed that? And does it depend on difficulty level?
Old August 18, 2002, 19:41   #14
Demerzel
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433

In my last post, I assumed this was in response to my first post about liking the idea of starting on a small island. But after reading Saurus' response, it seems more likely that this comment was aimed at him/her, which I would have realized in the first place if I had thought about it. Oops.

Could you clarify who you were responding to, just so that I can be sure about what you meant? That is, by "getting a game underway", were you just refering to building the first cities, or venturing out to explore the world at large?
heh I was referring to Saurus, "getting a game underway" was to mean starting up a map and being happy enough with it to play through to its eventual conclusion.

Got a great position t'other day with plenty of luxuries & other good things but unfortuantely the english were based nearby and thanks to the glory of AI bonuses on Emperor, overran me quickly with its 12 units & 4 cities in the time it took me to build 4 units & 2 cities
Old August 18, 2002, 22:25   #15
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Got a great position t'other day with plenty of luxuries & other good things but unfortuantely the english were based nearby and thanks to the glory of AI bonuses on Emperor, overran me quickly with its 12 units & 4 cities in the time it took me to build 4 units & 2 cities

And I thought I had problems with Monarch.

I do play Deity once and a while just for kicks, and what you experence seems to sum up my games.