Old August 17, 2002, 05:23   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 06:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Democracy or Republic?
Monarch level and up. Standard map. Non-Religious.

Is Democracy worth the 8 turns of anarchy? I know war weariness might be a pain.

Or stick with republic?

I can't find any democracy vs **** Threads.

I get the feeling no one uses it due to war weariness?

Is this a dead govt?
Old August 17, 2002, 05:52   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 16:15
I always head for Democracy.

At that point in the game, I'm always looking for an opportunity to slow my aggression a bit and build up some decent infrastructure. Since there is a 50% worker rate with Democracy, it definitely helps.

There is also the matter of corruption, as Republic is only marginally less in this than Monarchy.

I don't find Democracy useless because of Republic. Its actually the other way around for me (I prefer to go for Monarchy in the early game instead of republic).

And as for war weariness, it can easily be dealt with at the point where I start warring again, since I'll have Police stations and the Universal Suffrage it takes quite a while to build up to intolerable levels.
Old August 17, 2002, 21:19   #3
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
I always head for Democracy.

At that point in the game, I'm always looking for an opportunity to slow my aggression a bit and build up some decent infrastructure. Since there is a 50% worker rate with Democracy, it definitely helps.

There is also the matter of corruption, as Republic is only marginally less in this than Monarchy.

I don't find Democracy useless because of Republic. Its actually the other way around for me (I prefer to go for Monarchy in the early game instead of republic).

And as for war weariness, it can easily be dealt with at the point where I start warring again, since I'll have Police stations and the Universal Suffrage it takes quite a while to build up to intolerable levels.
Correct Lord

Always remeber though, government choice is capital if you are a non-religious civ, because, anarchy is a very deteriorating stage in a civ, no progress. And Generaly, the larger the Civ, harder and longer the anarchy is. Also, Democracy is best for large "builder" empire, if you almost never enter war, always use democracy and republic. But, being a warmonger myself, I ussualy stick with the ole commies. They have great war attributes, military police, unit support, and their corruption is in my thoughts best for large warring empires.

-Ronnie
Old August 17, 2002, 22:15   #4
NeoStar
Warlord

Re: Democracy or Republic?
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
Is this a dead govt?
No way in the world. The fellas above have spelt out its major benefits - but it really does help in war too. With pillaging and expanding going on the 150% worker rate speeds it up.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 18, 2002, 05:25   #5
Average Monkey
Settler

Ok, this is something I've been wondering about in my current game...

I've got options open for democracy and communism, but have stuck with republic up until now simply because i'm engaged in a war with the chinese on a neighbouring continent, and due to the size of their empire i'm churning out a steady stream of reinforcements to send off accross the seas (sure guys, you'll be back by christmas....right )

great fun though this is, i'm begining to suffer war weariness - i understand Communism is better for war leadership. and from what i've read in the manual it seems good (....conscription heheheh!) - on the other hand it mentions problems with corruption which are uniform across your cities regardless of distance from palace/fp

how much of a problem is this likely to be, and what improvements will alleviate this if it is a major hinderance (i have courthouse in approx 3/4 of cities)???

any help appreciated

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
Old August 18, 2002, 07:22   #6
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Average Monkey
I've got options open for democracy and communism,
Depends on the type of war mate - close and/or personal I pick communism to be better despite corruption - but since its across the sea Im not getting that impression.

Democracy is better - provided you have the economy (for support costs) in banks / wall street and are at a tech level to build police stations and the wonder Uni. Suff. That'll take care of your war weariness for a long while. You could just build those for republic too.

If the above is not happening - communism or monarchy are your best bet. If this place if far off (and you want to expand) communism will spread corruption 'equally' but this will effect your core cities (but does that matter if they are really good?). Monarchy on the other hand has bad effects far out - but those core cities will be better off.

So many damn factors to calculate...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 18, 2002, 12:42   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 01:15
I like democracy. I'm not a big warmonger, and I can't help it but build.

I tend to a defensive player. I hunker down and buid up allies for support.

Despot -> Republic -> Democyacy
Old August 18, 2002, 16:50   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Average Monkey,
If weariness is getting you down and you can stand the slower research, then switch to communism. Assuming you have a great economy now, your research may take 1-1/2 to twice as long.

With lots of cities (well above the 1.5 x Optimal Number of Cities), your corruption may be as little as 15-20%, assuming you have both courthouse and police station in the individual city. This will apply to ALL of your cities, even your capitals.

Losing the extra gold per tile will probably force you to reduce science expenditures, though you will probably not be spending any for entertainment.
Old August 18, 2002, 17:02   #9
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

Yes, war warriness is an extreme problem for a warmonger like me...

COmmunism gives me the abbility to control far away empires under my rule, and, the equal corruption may affect your hoem cities, BUT, if you are smart and diversify your production cities so that 2 can cover the lose of one, then this will nto matter as much. Even with all those war-happiness improvements, after about 50 turns at war, your people will start getting angry.
And when I go to war, I ussauly finish off one and start on the other, this means that continual conquest will requir communism. And to you builders out there, always go with Democracy, and build those little improvements and things which you value...right...

-Ronnie
Old August 18, 2002, 17:14   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Strakorfsky
... And to you builders out there, always go with Democracy, and build those little improvements and things which you value...
-Ronnie
Having that valued infrastructure already in place really helps out when it's clobbering time!
Old August 18, 2002, 17:15   #11
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Jaybe
Average Monkey,
If weariness is getting you down and you can stand the slower research, then switch to communism. Assuming you have a great economy now, your research may take 1-1/2 to twice as long.

With lots of cities (well above the 1.5 x Optimal Number of Cities), your corruption may be as little as 15-20%, assuming you have both courthouse and police station in the individual city. This will apply to ALL of your cities, even your capitals.

Losing the extra gold per tile will probably force you to reduce science expenditures, though you will probably not be spending any for entertainment. [/QUOTE

Jaybe, I find that in higehr end games, there is not really a need for research. Reason is that being communist, you can delcare war without fear of reprisles, so, you could attack a very advance nation, and take all theit techs, the onyl need for gold would be buying techs and luxuries, nto research. Researching your techs the honest way is such a....chefiten-regent kinda thing...

-Ronnie
Old August 18, 2002, 17:17   #12
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

EH, all you need is a barracks, market, bank, temple, and harbor, and you can go to war.

All those xtravagent stuff you build just takes up time so you can amrvel at the amount of things built, well, I guess it is harder for me to look at it because I am a warmonger.

-Ronnie
Old August 18, 2002, 17:45   #13
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 08:15
I only go from republic to democracy if I am a religios civ, or if the rate my workers are building railroads annoys me.
Old August 19, 2002, 07:38   #14
candybo
Warlord

Ronnie makes some good points, but I guess I just find warmongering to be rather boorish (not bore-ish). I try to keep in mind that conquering brings glory, but building is benevolent. Whatever. Nevermind.
Old August 19, 2002, 17:27   #15
Strakorfsky
Chieftain

Candybo, when one chooses the builders path, it is very hard to win on monarch-diety, but when you are a warmonger, you can easly get techs, cities, and gold, that is why I find builders for the faint of heart.

Also, warmongers are generaly pretty smart stratagist, making do with only limited begining resources where-as a builder would need a very good starting place.

Well, in all, communism for warmongers, and democracy for builders, very simple eh?

PS: Visit my thread on "Strakorfskys Thoughts on Ancient Invasions"

-Ronnie
Old August 22, 2002, 20:38   #16
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Strakorfsky
Well, in all, communism for warmongers, and democracy for builders, very simple eh?

Not totaly. In some cases, Democracy is better then Communism in war time. If you time it right, be under democracy when another civ that you know is about to attack. When they do, you get a surge of happiness, and less corruption. I think of it as an ace up the sleave.