Old August 18, 2002, 01:45   #1
Lecommencement
Settler

Local Time: 06:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An Ironclad Sole
Hello this is my first story. Please free free to give me any comments or criticism.

I smiled as the bottle hit the hull. The champagne splashed on the smooth iron hull of the HMS Hood. Grand Admiral Churchill leaned over and whispered, “Now do take care of her. You have the first iron ship in the world, and England would like to see her last.” I tried to reply, a hush fell over the crowd gathered on the pier as Queen Elizabeth walked up to the podium. She was rarely seen outside of Buckingham Palace since last month’s assignation attempt on her.
“This is a proud day for England, she began, now within a few months our naval will be the most powerful in the world. This “ironclad” as the newspapers called it, is a forerunner of what the futures navy will look like. No shot can piece its hull, and its cannons are the largest made to date. This ship is the future!!” Cheering and applause can from the crowd. “Only the best will serve on her, starting with Captain James Montgomery!”
I stood up and waved to the crowd. Another thunderous applause came from the crowd.
“Captain. The ship is yours.” Elizabeth said.
“Thank you, my Queen.”
I turned and walked up the stairs to the bridge. “She ready to go?” I asked my first mate.
“She has been ready since they laid her keel,” he said smiling.
“Forward 1 / 4, rudder starboard!”
“Aye!”
The helmsman spun the wheel and the engine room sprung to life. I slight shudder went through the ship as the twin screws started rotating. I turned and looked at the turret with the twin 20-inch cannons. I reached for the voice tube next to me.
“Turret! Target Battery Island. To salvos on my command.” I watch it start to turn toward the island at the mouth of the harbor used for target practice.
“Fire!”
Bboooom!!! The two guns fire almost simultaneously; two huge explosions rocked the small island. Louder still though was the roaring crowd.

.:2 months later:.

After my initial tour of England in the Hood I was promoted to Commodore, commanding a small fleet of five ironclads. I was asked if I had any ideas about a captain for the Hood. I requested Captain John Reynolds. Reynolds was a very good captain, though he was much more skilled with sailing ships, I was supremely confident that he could adapt to the Hood. After supplying and with the 4th fleet in tow, I set out of show the flag in the Persian Gulf.
The Persian Gulf was named for the culture that controlled most of the world before a massive alliance of France, Russia, England, and Germany destroyed their last city in 243AD. Now the mainland of Persia is split up between England, Russia, and German, with England’s and Germany’s holdings reduced in the last Anglo-Russo War, 300 years ago. Now, once again the Russians are massing troops on her border with England.

I stood in the pilothouse on the HMS Hood looking at the German city of Bonn off in the distance. Glancing over at a chart hanging on the wall, I ordered, “ Helm 4 degrees to starboard.” As the ship came to the right a long line of dark clouds on the horizon became visible. “That looks bad,” I muttered to no one in particular. “Captain the fleet is yours. I am going below to take a nap, do not wake me for anything short of a giant squid.”
Grinning, the Captain nodded.
I jolted awake to find the Hood diving into the trough of a thirty-foot wave. Peering through my porthole I tried to see the rest of the fleet but my eyes couldn’t see through the pouring rain. Throwing my some cloths took off for the bridge.
“Captain, how long has this storm be going on?”
“Only about thirty minutes, sir. It does seem to be breaking up, it’s a lot calmer than it was before.”
“You mean it was worse than this?!?!”
“Just a little. Nothing to get worried over.”
“John, you do realize that a frigate can stay afloat in this weather while a ironclad doesn’t have much chance.”
“Sir, I was worried at first but nothing happened so I relaxed.”
“Well, we can only hope we didn’t lose one of the others.”
Old August 18, 2002, 08:11   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
pretty good start! Keep developing the characters!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 18, 2002, 14:54   #3
curlyboy24
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I love it, its a great story so far. Very interesting, makes me want to read more. Good job!
Old August 18, 2002, 21:57   #4
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 16:17
yes, very good. Stay with the sea and naval battles etc...
Old August 18, 2002, 23:01   #5
Lecommencement
Settler

Cool glad you liked it. I will start on the second part tonight.
Old August 20, 2002, 22:43   #6
Lecommencement
Settler

.:The Next Morning:.

“Well she should be here by now, Commodore.” Captain Reynolds said.
“Yes, looks as if my fears were true.” I replied.
The two commanders stood on the bow of the Hood looking through their telescopes. All the ironclads in the fleet, but the HMS Warrior found their way to the flagship.
“Well sir, what did the orders you received from the courier ship say?” Reynolds inquired.
“Russia has crossed the border in three places. It looks like they are trying to take our salt pepper mines.”
“That would cripple our war industry! No ships, no riflemen, no cannons!!”
“Yes, I know, that is why we are to proceed with all possible haste and try to save the Tyre mines by bombarding the Russian Cossacks as the move along the coast. Unfortunately that means giving up on the Warrior and leaving now.”
“It’s your call sir.”

.:1 Week Later:.

“Land Ahoy!!! shouted the lookout, and the Defense Fleet looks like it could use some help!”
“Wake the Commodore!!” Captain Reynolds ordered.

I jumped to my feet after the third pound on my door. I heard a birds calling and that meant land. Then rolling over the water came the rumble of cannon fire. In a flash I was dressed and on the bridge.
“Who?” I demanded.
“A large force is overwhelming the Coastal Defense Fleet!!” Reynolds informed me.
“How long till we are in range?”
“About fifteen minutes, sir”
“Excellent. Wasn’t the Dover damaged in the storm?”
“Yes, sir one of the guns slipped out of position, they haven’t fixed it yet.”
“That’s ok. Lets have them head to the east and hopefully catch any survivors. The Hood, Warspite, and Victory will line up abreast and plow through the fleet.”
I made a small drawing of the formations on a piece of paper and handed it to Reynolds.
“Good plan, I’ll send this to the Captains and we’ll be under way.”
The Russians three Galleons lined up across from each other, while three frigates circled around them.
CLANG!!! A 5-inch shot bounced off the Hoods turret. I looked over towards the Warspite has her Captain trained her turret on the nearest frigate. BLAMMM!!! A test shot went flying towards the Russian frigate. The shot splashed aft of its target. He corrected, and fired again. With thud the shot smacked into the lower hull just aft of the mainsail. Immediately after two more rang out, they too slammed into the hull. Then the Warspite began to fire hot cannonballs, which had been heated over fire until they were red hot. After a few of these hit the frigate was awash with flames. The Hood steamed right for the Galleons in the center of the formation. Ignoring the shots from the frigates she steamed right into the middle galleon, ramming her in the lower hull. The Hood pulled out and shifted attention to the remaining galleons. Her turret turned towards the nearest one, BLAMMM!!! An explosive shell hit the upper deck causing lots of wounds from flying shrapnel. BLAMM!!! Another hit lower on the hull, this shell entered the ship before exploding. A gaping hole appeared right on the water line. Knowing that her target was done for, she pulled away and looked for more ships.
“My God!! That was fast!!!” exclaimed Reynolds.
I glanced at a clock.
“Fifteen minutes. Amazing. Now maybe the Russians will think twice about their invasion.”
“Yes, sir”
“Captain, lets get in touch with the overall commander in Tyre.”
“Yes, sir.”
Old August 21, 2002, 07:07   #7
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
this is good! Keep writing!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 21, 2002, 22:27   #8
Lecommencement
Settler

I will have the next part on tomorrow night. Please keep posting.
Old August 22, 2002, 09:13   #9
Ksim3000
Chieftain

Great story! I can't wait to read more! Keep It up!
Old August 24, 2002, 00:24   #10
Lecommencement
Settler

Ok I'll have it up for sure by tomorrow.