Old August 27, 2002, 13:43   #31
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
TKG, you better trust Ming... he does the dirty job all the time, and knows better.

As for permament mods, nag Markos on the forum...
Old August 27, 2002, 13:50   #32
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
As for permament mods, nag Markos on the forum...
we do, but i don't think he reads it
Old August 27, 2002, 13:53   #33
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

He reads this forum though...
Old August 27, 2002, 18:24   #34
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
TKG,

most bulletin board software I have experienced don't decrease your PC for removed posts, so if 50 of your messages get removed, your PC won't be altered.

A BBS moderator.
Old August 27, 2002, 18:46   #35
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:17
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
Are you sure? my PC is now 808. when you go into my profile and click "search all posts by this user" it comes up with 810. i've never posted in the OT before () and i'm pretty sure i've never had a PCR (and if i did, who would give a PCR of 2?).
You may have posted in threads that had been moved to the OT without you noticing (even if the link was from and on-topic forum).
Old August 28, 2002, 13:23   #36
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

NO... when a thread or post is deleted, it DOES NOT change your post count. Once you have posted, it counts. Unless you are given a PCR (post count reduction) by a mod, or the Data Base screws up, your post count never goes down.
Are you sure Ming?

That would mean that Makros has another hack on the forum. vBulletin does by defaoult reduce the post count when a post (or thread with posts) is deleted.
Old August 28, 2002, 14:41   #37
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 01:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos Are you sure Ming?
That would mean that Makros has another hack on the forum. vBulletin does by defaoult reduce the post count when a post (or thread with posts) is deleted.
Hmmm... I would be shocked and surprised if I'm wrong here. I've run tests on this when the question has been asked in the past. And the results showed that deleting posts or threads seemed to have no effect on a persons count. But then again... that doesn't prove absolutely that I'm right.

So I guess I will just leave the question up to Mark or Dan to answer. (time to run the tests again)
Old August 28, 2002, 15:04   #38
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Is in past before or after the update to vBulleting in May last year?
Old August 28, 2002, 15:20   #39
Solver
lifer
Deity

Yeah, when did you run the tests? Also, you could delete a thread with several thousands posts in it and observe .
Old August 28, 2002, 15:29   #40
Q Classic
Emperor

how about an entire forum? like OT, you could see if anybody has a post count after that...
Old August 28, 2002, 15:58   #41
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
I know for sure i had approximately 8 posts removed from my count after an entire thread about a civ3 crack was deleted because no one closed it early enough. This was about 3 days ago.
Old August 28, 2002, 16:41   #42
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Is in past before or after the update to vBulleting in May last year?
Good question... The last time this came up was a long time ago. So whether my tests were before the update or not... I have no clue. I will admit I haven't done it recently.

And Maquiladora... if this is indeed true, that's what you get for posting EIGHT TIMES in a thread about a Civ III Crack

Let that be a lesson to all the "plus oners" who try to sneak an extra post or two into a thread they KNOW will be deleted
Old August 28, 2002, 18:02   #43
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I think that the ones who put +1 in there post have to be applauded for their bravery, and/or stupidity.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:29   #44
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Hey i wasnt supporting the guy who wanted the crack and im not a post chaser like some of these freaks. Warlord sounds better than anythin else anyway
Old August 28, 2002, 18:29   #45
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
I think that the ones who put +1 in there post have to be applauded for their bravery, and/or stupidity.

The only difference between this post and the ones that put +1 after the post, is that your plus one is in the middle of the message.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 28, 2002, 18:40   #46
Rasbelin
Emperor

+1

Phew! You can even start a message with it. Isn't that amazing?
Old August 28, 2002, 20:44   #47
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

now now, stop spamming. i want to get to the bottom of this before Ming closes the thread
Old August 28, 2002, 20:58   #48
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Yeah, I'd like to hear the results of Mings test before this thread is closed because of all you spammers.
Old August 28, 2002, 21:01   #49
Tuberski

Yeah you spammers, lets hear the results!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 28, 2002, 21:30   #50
Ming
lifer
Retired

Surprise Surprise...
I just ran the identical tests that I did the last time, and this time the results were far different.

Yes... a deleted post subtracts one... and the same holds through for a deleted thread.

And what's even worse, if there are data base problems when doing the deleting, (which has been a problem lately when deleting a post or thread), you lose everything posted times the number of attempts the request for deleting has to be made before the data base excepts the request.

So after doing the test, I'm minus two posts.

But at least I get one back for posting the results
Old August 28, 2002, 21:34   #51
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Now I'll never be a deity!
Old August 28, 2002, 21:49   #52
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:17
If a deleted post subtracts one, are we now allowed to delete our own posts?
Old August 28, 2002, 21:50   #53
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
If a deleted post subtracts one, are we now allowed to delete our own posts?
No...
Old August 28, 2002, 21:58   #54
Method
Emperor

why? it makes logical sense...

we can't do this now.

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
go to a rarely used forum (like Civ-Mac) and spam to their heart's content, delete their posts before a Mod notices, and make Deity overnight.
although i'm sure someone else has concocted some other scheme involving post-deletion.
Old August 28, 2002, 22:08   #55
Ming
lifer
Retired

To my knowledge, we don't allow people to delete threads for a different reason.

People could post stuff that totally violates the rules of the site... and then delete them later and claim they never posted anything. Even if you edit the post, there is still a post showing you did indeed post something
Old August 28, 2002, 22:13   #56
Skanky Burns

Argh!!

/me runs around, mourning the loss of his posts.

Thanks for letting us know, though.
Old August 28, 2002, 22:15   #57
Tuberski

Edit a post......still a post......showing you did post.......

Old August 28, 2002, 22:16   #58
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:17
Quote:
Surprise Surprise...
I just ran the identical tests that I did the last time, and this time the results were far different.

Yes... a deleted post subtracts one... and the same holds through for a deleted thread.

And what's even worse, if there are data base problems when doing the deleting, (which has been a problem lately when deleting a post or thread), you lose everything posted times the number of attempts the request for deleting has to be made before the data base excepts the request.

So after doing the test, I'm minus two posts.

But at least I get one back for posting the results
Hah! That should put a chill into the hearts of the 'postia anti deletia' crowd.
Old August 28, 2002, 22:20   #59
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Hah! That should put a chill into the hearts of the 'postia anti deletia' crowd.
It really should. Lately, it has taken me 4 or 5 requests before a thread is actually deleted. Just think, if you made 3 posts in such a thread, and it takes me 5 requests for the data base to accept my command... you lose 12 posts in the deal.
Old August 28, 2002, 22:21   #60
Tuberski

Quote:

It really should. Lately, it has taken me 4 or 5 requests before a thread is actually deleted. Just think, if you made 3 posts in such a thread, and it takes me 5 requests for the data base to accept my command... you lose 12 posts in the deal.

Seems to me that you should lower PCRs to reflect this....