Old October 28, 2001, 01:53   #1
Scott F
Prince

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great War PBEM
Now that we have all of the players needed, I figured that I would start a thread for the game, so that people can boast about their exploits and so on.

The order of play is as follows:

German Empire - Scott - sfluhr@indiana.edu
Russian Empire - Case - nick_dowling@hotmail.com
United States - Hans - tuckfarm@nelson-tel.net
Briish Empire - Hodad - m_carreras@hotmail.com
Confederate States - JamesJKirk - JamesJKirk@aol.com
French Republic - Jimmywax - hellonwheel247@netzero.net

I need to update the files to take into account a few requests from Case, as mentioned in the other thread. I'll post the urls when I get that done in a few minutes.

Other relevant threads can be found here:

http://www.tb3.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/...c&f=4&t=000012

and

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...=562907&t=8663
Old October 28, 2001, 02:25   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:31
Czar Nicholas celebrates by issuing the mightly Russian army with a double ration of Vodka
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 28, 2001, 03:46   #3
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:31
All my men will get is some cheese to go with their wine. I really don't like the French, even if I do have a little froggie blood in my veins.
Old October 28, 2001, 04:02   #4
Scott F
Prince

I have updated the various files. Only the main zip has changes in it though, mostly in the scenario file itself. The units files have the new camo barrels and tanks in them also. Within the scenario, the mines in the Dardanelles have been homed to Constantinople. The CSA, the French, the Germans, and the USA have a few zeppelins at the start now (one of my playtesters was harassing me about this). Russia, sadly, cannot yet build ships (they didn't build many ships during the war anyway, and Russia will have more pressing problems )

The scenario itself can be downloaded from here (about 800 kb):
http://php.indiana.edu/~sfluhr/turtledove_v12.zip

And the sounds can be downloaded from here (about 2.5 mb):
http://php.indiana.edu/~sfluhr/turtledovesounds.zip

Please set everything to 1914.

I'll go play my turn, so we can get started.
Old October 28, 2001, 06:05   #5
Scott F
Prince

Berliner Zeitung
WAR!!

Following the treacherous assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by Serbian assassins, the German Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Kingdom of Bulgaria, and the Ottoman Empire have declared war on the tyrannical forces of Serbia, France, and Russia. Addressing the Reichstag, Kaiser Wilhelm condemned the enemies of the Reich and declared the war to be "the final struggle of the forces of civilization and order against the forces of subhuman barbarism and pan-Slavism. The Reichstag, after hearing a long litany of the inequities of the Reich's enemies, has issued a series of war bonds and given wide war powers to the General Staff and the War Ministry during what promises to be a short war. Below, the Kaiser's War Order is read to a crowd in Berlin that waits with rapt attention.

[SIZE=]Germany and Austria Advance on All Fronts![/SIZE]

In the days that followed the declarations of war, the heroic soldiers of the German Army and the Imperial and Royal Army, led by the great Field Marshal von Scottsendorff, are advancing on all fronts. Below, German troops are shown at the ready during their move westward through Belgium.

Here, a squadron of the High Seas Fleet sorties out of the Kiel Canal and into the Baltic.

And below, a German battleship shells Russian positions on the Baltic coast.

Young Berliners rush to enlist upon hearing the news of the utter and total destruction of the British Expeditionary Force in Europe.

On all fronts, the Central Powers now advance. From Serbia to Belgium, from Flanders to Poland, German, Austrian, Bulgarian, and Turkish troops are advancing and the forces of the Entente are in retreat. The Kaiser has now boasted to the Berliner Zeitung that the war will be over by Christmas. Field Marshal von Scottsendorff has demurred, waiting to hear news from North America on the successes of Germany's Yankee allies.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip aug1914.zip (56.0 KB, 7 views)
Old October 28, 2001, 13:09   #6
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
Dispatches from the Foreign Office
It seems that Germany does not even have the courtesy of declaring war upon the British Empire and treacherously attacks British troops on excersises in the continent. London shall not forget this treacherous act.

We also see that the Germans have unwisely decided to invade Belgium. Under the terms of the Belgian Neutrality agreement Britain sees no other response than to respond in force and under these harsh conditions we deem it vital for the defence and security of the British Empire to declare war upon the German Reich.
Old October 28, 2001, 18:23   #7
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Imperial Russian Army Communiqué No. 1
In responce to Austro-German agression Czar Nicholas II has personally taken to the field to command the mighty Imperial Armed Forces. He looks forward to leading his mighty armies into battle, and linking up with his eternal allies on the banks of the river Rhine.

The Czar is disapointed with the performance of his inferior Serbian Allies, and vows to liberate the City of Belgrade in the name of pan-slavic unity.

The Czar is also reported to be unhappy with the performance of the British Army, and has ordered his Ambassador in London to distribute the following poster in order to remind the British of what they're fighting for:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	world-war-one-poster-1.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	4892  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old October 28, 2001, 18:25   #8
Case
Emperor

And here's the file:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1914aug.zip (45.1 KB, 5 views)
Old October 28, 2001, 22:31   #9
Case
Emperor

This site looks like a very good source for photos: http://www.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one...s/greatwar.htm
Old October 29, 2001, 03:27   #10
Jimmywax
Prince

Here is another site that has quite a few pictures. I think most of them are WWII or other, but still a good site. Just scroll to the bottom for the picture links though. Also, lots of pop up ads and some of the pictures, vids, and sounds are to be payed for, I think.
http://www.earthstation1.com/
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fwwii004.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4915  
Old October 30, 2001, 06:05   #11
Hans2
Prince

Local Time: 06:31
Boo-ya!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip aug1914.zip (45.6 KB, 4 views)
Old November 1, 2001, 00:25   #12
Scott F
Prince

*waits (im)patiently for Hodad*
Old November 1, 2001, 04:13   #13
Scott F
Prince

While waiting (im)patiently for Hodad, I have done a nice map showing progress thus far.
Old November 1, 2001, 16:19   #14
Jimmywax
Prince

Damn nice work there Scott.
Old November 1, 2001, 17:15   #15
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
The Times, August 1914 Issue
Battle of Taranto, British Success in the Mediterranean
Rome (From our correspondant).- The Maltan task force sortied to the Adriatic Sea in order to blockade the German fleet in the Mediterranean and avoid incursions onto British sea lanes in the Mediterranean Sea in full complement.

At 08.05 of the morning of the 15th of August, a destroyer from the task force sent to scout for enemy vessels discovered a lone German cruiser scouting the seas in the area for merchant vessels. Immediatelly the whole task force was sortied. Reported losses are a sunk German cruiser and some light damage on a British dreadnaught.

A british dreadnaught opens fire on the German cruiser squadron in the Battle of Taranto.

Shelling over the Suez Canal
Al Suways (From our correspondant).- Shelling of Turkish positions began in the night of the 20th of the month. The turkish forces have managed to exhaust British artillery crews deployed to Suez, but a relief force is on its way to relieve the current crews. All in all, reported losses are that of a Turkish infantry unit but intelligence reports of this conflict have been dodgy at best.

Morale At an all Time High
London.- Thousands of Londoners have poured into the recruiting offices after the German declaration of war. Imperialists and members of Parliament have begun signing contracts to make Britain a true island fortress, unbreachable by any naval force. Also, weapons procurements have risen and women are beginning to become commonplace workforce in munitions factories across the Empire.

Canadian Posessions in Check
Ottawa.- The dominion of Canada has been placed in check by American troops that have moved up the eastern seaboard endangering the continuance of sea trade and many think that Canada may be forced to sue for peace with the US if her eastern shipping lanes are cut from Britain, where most of the materiel is coming from.

Despite a grim situation and continued losses in the Canadian battlefield, thousands of Canadians have flocked to the recruitment stations and the eastern cities are being prepared for the mass production of war goods in order to help bolster the Canadian front. Also, thousands of reinforcements have been dispatched to the trenches in the Canadian front to bolster the defence effort which is expected to hold out for a some more time while Canada prepares for a bitter campaign.

Canadian troops evacuating wounded soldiers from the frontline in the eastern seaboard.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip warhodadaugust1914.zip (44.4 KB, 6 views)
Old November 3, 2001, 14:33   #16
Scott F
Prince

If mister Kirk is not going to be playing, might we get a new CSA? We can't have delays like this in a PBEM game and ever expect to be finished.
Old November 3, 2001, 17:59   #17
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott F
If mister Kirk is not going to be playing, might we get a new CSA? We can't have delays like this in a PBEM game and ever expect to be finished.
If he dosn't turn up, I'll take it (and leave Russia to the AI )
Old November 3, 2001, 18:06   #18
Scott F
Prince

How much longer should we wait for him?
Old November 3, 2001, 18:15   #19
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott F
How much longer should we wait for him?
I don't know. Try asking on the of PBEM vetrans. He's had 48 hours though...
Old November 3, 2001, 19:33   #20
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 06:31
I dont know. a week is about the minimum youk now as long as it wont happen again. I mean the Age of war game almost got trashed before it started but we waited for about a month on that. but a week i think and then you email him and tell him hes been replaced.

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old November 3, 2001, 23:59   #21
Case
Emperor

Thanks Grothgar
Old November 4, 2001, 16:41   #22
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey guys....sorry for keeping you waiting, I was out of town for a couple days, and didn't see this thread before that...Are we just posting the savegames on this thread or sending them, btw? Anyway about it, I'll play my turn and upload the file for jimmywax, and we can get this going again, thanks for your patience, y'all (getting into character).

Last edited by JamesJKirk; November 4, 2001 at 16:49.
Old November 4, 2001, 17:32   #23
Scott F
Prince

I think that it's better to post the files here.

Also, I had really hoped that we could go on a six day cycle, with a person playing each day. That would keep the pace up and things interesting.
Old November 4, 2001, 20:38   #24
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Double post....

it's much harder to find historical pictures from the period when your country didn't exist at that point in time....

Last edited by JamesJKirk; November 4, 2001 at 20:45.
Old November 4, 2001, 20:40   #25
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Richmond Times-Dispatch

[b]WAR with United States!!![b]

Confederate troops take Washington, forces move toward Philadelphia

Yankee state of Utah in open rebellion

A state of war now exists between the Confederate States and the United States. Speaking to a crowd of thousands in Richmond yesterday, President Wilson informed his countrymen that fighting had broken out along the border. After hearing that Roosevelt asked the US Congress for a declaration of war against the Confederate States and her Entente allies, Wilson announced that "The German spirit of arrogance and militarism has taken hold in the United States; they see only the gun as the arbiter between nations, and their president takes Wilhelm as a model." It was made clear that this was not a war the CSA has asked for, but one in which they are right and will win. Following his speech, thousands of men, young and old rushed to the recruiting stations to don the butternut of the CSA and protect its frontiers from aggression.

As fighting broke out, the CS guns began fire from their positions across the Potomac from Washington, DC. After several rounds of artillery barrage and cavarly raid, US forces were embarrassingly driven from their capitol city, and even further, as Confederate momentum pushed deep into US territory.

As news of the tremendous victory was transmitted, word was also receive that several naval fleets have left port and are steadily patroling the ocean for Quadruple Alliance ships.

In other news, a large scale rebellion has swept the US state of Utah from Yankee control. As Washington fell to Confederate control, Mormon rebels, tired of being repressed by the Yankee government, rose up throughout the state to throw of the yoke of the United States. The loss of the state in effect cuts the United States in two, another damaging blow to the already bungling Yankee campaign.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1914aug.zip (46.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by JamesJKirk; November 4, 2001 at 21:15.
Old November 4, 2001, 21:00   #26
Case
Emperor

edit: the photos are showing up now
Old November 6, 2001, 16:50   #27
Jimmywax
Prince

Nothing to report from the French front except for our forces glorious strategic withdrawal.
Attached Files:
File Type: net 1914sept.net (255.0 KB, 5 views)
Old November 9, 2001, 11:19   #28
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Hmmm, I hope this thing keeps moving along...

Anyway, I have a question about the single player version:
I've been playing Germany, and have gotten through June 1916, but when I save it, run the batch file pikc #5 and reload the game, it crashes to my desktop. I've reinstalled the scenario and tried it again and again, but the same thing always happens, I can upload the file to here so someone can see if they have the same problem, thanks
Old November 9, 2001, 17:28   #29
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJKirk
Hmmm, I hope this thing keeps moving along...
Scott and I have played our turns and posted on the other message board
Old November 9, 2001, 18:19   #30
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Case

Scott and I have played our turns and posted on the other message board
Yeah, I noticed a little while ago...

happy election day!