Old August 19, 2002, 14:22   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HoMM III High Score Chart
Just wondering, does anyone here know all the ratings of the High Score chart?

I think ArchAngel is the highest...

But what are all the inbetween levels?

Does anyone know where I can find a list?

Thanks.
Old August 19, 2002, 15:31   #2
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 08:34
jep, Archangel is best(I have got it once, Tiny Map Impossible, under 30 turns ).
7th level creatures are best, 6th second and so on, upgrated creatures are better than not upgrated,
don't know exact order.

dunno where to find a list. have you gone thru the game files?
Old August 19, 2002, 15:55   #3
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 08:34
have you gone thru www.strategyplanet.com/homm AKA Celestial Heavens?

Could this be the next list of Emperor of Lists?
Old August 20, 2002, 15:06   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Hmm.. I know that Zealot and Ogre Magi must be around the same thing... But I can't really check the rankings since I don't have the full game. I merely have the Heroes Chronicles, and they only give high scores for the last map.

I suppose I'll have to register on the heroescommunity board to find the answer.

Quote:
Could this be the next list of Emperor of Lists
It's probably already been done

Although, I have been working on an Ultimate Map Guide; assembled from all the other map hints- (This would be really strangely funny, a person who's never created a HOMM map making a guide ) but it's mostly for my reference, and not anyone elses
Old August 21, 2002, 12:33   #5
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Although, I have been working on an Ultimate Map Guide; assembled from all the other map hints- (This would be really strangely funny, a person who's never created a HOMM map making a guide )
Well that’s no problem there are enough people giving good advises for others but having never tested it out on their own so you're not alone (look in the politician or economist sector for example )

Furthermore will you post the outcome I'm eager to read it as I'm open for new tactics for HOMM all the time?

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 21, 2002, 18:33   #6
DarkCloud
staff

Well, here's the beta version... It's in HTML but I think it'll convert all right:

---

Introduction.

So you want to be a hero... "No, I just want to design maps."

Well, despite how hard it is to believe, one must be nearly superhuman to create a special map.

However, to merely create a good map, one must only be a hero. The following guide. (Assembled from various places) Helps you to become a Map-Making Hero.

In the beginning I would like to specially thank the following people's excellent map guides, The Qurquish Dragon, DragonSister, Kristo and Celestial Heavens (the site)

Step 1: The Concept

Why are you writing this map? Are you doing it to create an epic tale, a humorous jaunt, an intriquing puzzle, a tactical nightmare, or something inbetween?

If you have a purpose, your map WILL look good. If you don't have a purpose, then your map will be lacking somewhat. The main route to success is purpose. If you have no purpose, then you don't know what you are doing, and God help the players if they can figure out what to do.

Now, I am not telling you to write out a 50-page epic tale (although it helps...It certainly helped with the Noveno Cycle and The Angellic Alliance) However, before you can make a map, please just plan the basic introduction and first five pages in your head. Then plan the ending.

Then all you have to do is tell the reader how to get from the beginning to the end. You can do this via Quest Guards, Border Gates, Random Encounters, Puzzles, Conquests, etc. The possibilities are endless. Just take a look at 3DO's games, or perhaps some of your favorite downloaded maps to get an idea on what makes a good map story/puzzle/strategic challenge.

1.2 Your Audience

What is the audience for your map? Are you making a Multiplayer map, a singleplayer map, a challenging map, a story-map, an easy map, a mid-difficulty map?

What type of challenges will your heroes face? Will the hardest part of the game be EARLY, the MIDPOINT, or the END when you confront the 'baddest villain of them all', or perhaps the challenging point will come 'after' the villain. In many maps, there is a dropping off period where the hero defeats the villain but still has to search for such and such artifact and defeat, say, 50 Faery Dragons.

Step 2: The Design

2.1 The Map itself

First, design the map itself, the base squares and colors. Do this first as it becomes a bit harder later when you have put in artifacts, monsters, cities etc which all cover the land and make it harder to figure out where to put resources.

Remember, let your resources guide your placement. Don't let your placement guide your resources.

Another map design hint, don't just use the 'copy' tool, it is tempting, but please use better sense. Ask yourself this: Do YOU like to see endless plains, oceans or mountain ranges? If the answer is no, then please realize that other people consider them monotonous as well.

The best thing a map can do is have VARIETY. Throw in as much design as you like (as long as it's logical) and you and others will enjoy your map.

You always want to avoid squares within the homogenous terrain as well, you want to do this mainly because, once again, it does not look natural. Try to make the edges jagged, like the edges of continents, etc. "The more random it looks, the better, as it looks more natural."0.1

If a map looks as if it could "really exist,"0 then you have done part of your job. The map is plausible. And that plausablility makes it more likely that people will a: take the rest of your map seriously, and b: realize that lots of time and preparation went into the map. It doesn't take long to create a jumbled random map, or a disgusting square cornered map, but a real map, of a place that looks real, that is an art.

Note: Don't leave lots of open spaces, no one likes open spaces.

Note the second: Don't leave lots of semi-open spaces (example, a large grassland filled with pickupable resources.)

There are many reasons why you should not do this. For example: 1- doing so is very cluttered, the hero is bogged down and cannot move. Also the hero isn't accomplishing anything really, thus it is not fun. If you need to give the hero lots of resources, edit it into the game, create mines, or drop a few Mega-resource piles with 10 or more of the resource included in them.
Another reason is this; when the resources are gone, the space is still open. To remedy this, you may want to create mountain passes, impassable earth cracks, oceans, rivers or forests. All are excellent blockers.

A Suggestion: "The best thing to do is to look at each screen of territory and see if it looks empty or full. If it's empty see what's missing and fill it up." 1

2.1.1 Random Maps

A note on the Random Map Generator, if you must use it it generate some sort of landmass, I advise you to, after the map is generated, erase all the objects, artifacts, mines, etc. and then edit the lands so that they take on a 'personal feel'

Please don't waste anyone's time uploading Random Maps for download unless you create a story. Anyone can create a Random Map if they have Shadow of Death or Armageddon's Blade. The reason I advise you to erase, then edit, is so that you can craft the map to your story, and will not have to craft the story to the map.

The Random Map editor is good at one thing, it can make semi-passable world-looking random maps. Thus, in recap, if you are going to make use of this feature, please use it judiciously and remember (erase, edit, and revise)

2.2 Resources, etc.

2.2.2 Artifacts

This is a touchy subject, but please don't place too many artifacts on the map. On most maps, more than three powerful artifacts are overkill, whereas on others, even two could be. Please consider the size of your map, then consider how hard it is to reach an artifact, and from there you can deduce how many monsters should guard it and how many artifacts there should be.

The focus of the game is on the objective, not the artifacts. If the game can be won without artifacts, delete most of them. They take away from the expereince and sometimes make the game-endings far too easy.

Step 3: Towns

3.1 Initial Placement
When placing towns, "It's usually necessary that all players have an equal opportunity to get started," thus, "placing someone in a harsh terrain would be a great detrement to their survival. Fit the towns to the land, not vice versa. Some town types look better when placed in a small pocket of trees or mountains, but this is purely aesthetics and isn't vital that you do it."0.6

Step 4: Map Design Part II

So, you made it through Part I, welcome to Part II.

4.1 Mines

Many mines look best when put next to scenery that they can 'fit' into. Examples: Lumber Mills look best when put into tree groves, Ore and Gold Mines look best when built into the side of a mountain, Gem Ponds look good on Magic Plains or near water. Gem Ponds never look good on cursed ground or evil fog, however, there are some things mapmakers must do as all players need gems. Nevertheless, I would advise you to avoid placing Gem Ponds in 'evil' territories. An alternative suggestion would be to place large amounts resource piles of gems.

As for Sulphur Mines, I think that the best place to place them is inside the Desert Hills. I have found that that is the best place for them so that they don't look out of place. However, any 'desert' or yellow-brownish terrain will work just as well.

When you plan your map, mine planning shouldn't be too far behind Town planning as both are necessary for most games. Every city needs all of the resources. Some need more than others, and sometimes Gold can be foregone, but generally the rule is that each city should have all 7 resource mines within easy reach, unless you are making a resource-poor mod, in which case, all that is needed is the 'upgrade' resource for that Cities Level 7 creatures (assuming you are enabling the town to acquire the creatures), wood and ore (Because you need them to construct buildings. And, on Impossible Difficulty, they are necessary to the player's survival since the player has less resources on that level)

"Lumber Mills and Ore Pits need not be more than one turn's movement away from a home town. Rare resource producers can be anywhere though. Part of the challenge of the game is being short on certain resources and having to find and control those mines."0.8

If you are making a resource-poor map "Towns that produce their" 7th level requirement "in a resource silo do not need their own mine"Q

Thus, remember, while you WILL need crystal for Strongholds, sulfur for Fortresses, Mercury for Necropoli, and gems for Castles, you don't need the primary requirement for the others.

However, as the Quriquish Dragon recommends in his article, the other towns need their "second requirements"- examples: the Rampart needs gems for Unicorns, the Tower needs crystals for genies, the dungeon needs mercury for a lot of their upgrades as does the inferno sulphur.

4.2 Connection

After you have the basic map designed, "go through and connect all of the objects, trying to create different shapes with trees and mountains"2 This lends an 'interesting' feel to the map.

Remember: The more shapes you have, the more interesting your map looks.

4.3 Higher Level Decoration

Layering designs is encouraged, and in most cases recommended so that you can create a 'unique' feel for the map. Please feel free to use designs from several different tile sets (as long as they fit)

You could even create an ocean of lava if you layered the lava over the 'ocean' tileset. This is also possible with evil fog and clouds.

An example of a layer that would not fit would be flowers in lava. Now, that may look interesting, but it also looks VERY strange, and unless you are shooting for the award for "Strangest map design of 2002", it is not reccomended.

4.3.2 Deserts

Deserts aren't all vast empty expanses. Deserts aren't even all cacti-filled places.

Please realize this in your maps and act accordingly. Create your deserts with some dunes, if it is a windy desert (Like the Sahara), have cacti if it is supposed to be like the Sonoran desert, or have a vast winter-desert (accomplished through layering) if you want a Russian Desert!

Remember, places, even deserted places aren't empty. And they aren't all filled with stuff, (remember in a real desert do you see a corpse or abandoned wagon cart every 2 steps) Just use some Higher Level Decoration and you should be all right.

4.4 Purpose

If you are aiming on keeping inetest in your map, please give every part of it purpose, fill it with events, mines, resources, monsters, etc.

Remember, the only thing differentiating your map from random maps and everyone elses is its purpose, why should they play? Why should they stay interested, etc.

4.5 The Random Object Tool

In the Shadow of Death expansion, the Random Object Tool is sometimes useful for filling in random spaces. The generally accepted guidelines for the tool are to put the random objects in, then go back and fill in the spaces later.

Step 5: Wandering Monsters and Enemies

5.1 Guarding Mines

The basic theory on Wandering Monsters guarding mines is that the ones you have to use the most are guarded the least. Thus, Wood and Ore will usually be unguarded for Castles and Ramparts because they are necessary parts of so many structures, and, to guard them will unnecessarily hamper the player's progress (unless that is the point of the map)

Then, the higher level mines, Sulphur, Gems, Mercury, should be guarded by a fair number level 2-4 monsters as they are necessary for Mage Guilds and several more esoteric buildings.

Finally, Gold mines should be guarded the highest of all with level 4-6 beasts as they, although not necessary on most maps, are a necessary added push to the speed of map conquest.
Old August 21, 2002, 18:33   #7
DarkCloud
staff

UNSORTED MONSTERS-
You may want to place monsters to section off areas of the map so that they players have trouble meeting. It is a good alternative to Quest Guards or Border Keys, although, if one side grows too powerful quickly, then you could meet them a bit sooner than you had planned, thus causing the scenario to be cut much shorter.
"If the map is designed in such a way that no one has a definitive piece of real estate, then the goal is to place the monsters so that players will be slowed down by being forced to fight them." 0.9

Step 6: Adding the Creature Generators

You do not want to add too many of these generators, as, in the right hands, they can unbalance the game. However, many people enjoy a few generators so as to give their secondary heroes something to do.

The choice on what you want to do with them is up to you.

6.1 Creature Guardians

You may or may not want to add these sparingly, but an important note is that all creatures level 5 and up have built-in guards.

6.2 Generator Misuse

A possibly way to misuse the generator is to create something such as one level 7 generator for a dungeon town and 5 level 4 generators for a Tower. Now, while this may 'seem' equal, since the mass numbers of Magi should balance out the Dungeon's evil creatures, remember the Dungeon has the Portal of Summoning. If the creature is the summoned creature, they get a bonus to the total number of their level 7 creatures. This will unbalance the game.

Thus, please think hard before placing generators.

TO BE ADDED- QUEST GUARDS, BORDER KEYS, SEERS HUTS ETC

Step 5: The Story

All maps should include at least a basic story. Unless of course, they are multiplayer map, in which case all you have to do is inform the player why they are there and why they are fighting at the beginning of the map, on Day 1 or 2 so that the map can have more 'atmosphere'

However, some of the best multiplayer maps (and multiplayer-like maps such as THAT ONE I'M WORKING ON_____) Contain some story, even if the story is merely revealed by quest guards and moving around on the ground, if it is intriguing, then people will become interested in the map, and riveted to their computer screens, unable to leave.

5.2 A word on the Tavern

"Rumors are always fun, but don't rely on them to impart necessary information. You can't control what the Tavern says each week."3

5.3 The Plot

Keep it fast paced, fun and interesting, reavealing something new about every week. It may help to have a plot twist or two somewhere in the tale.

5.4 Events

If you have monsters constantly attack the player's troops without warning, it can become excessively annoying. Give the player some warning sometimes, something along the lines of "The old man warns you that some Magogs might be up ahead."

Step 6: Spells

If you don't want your players doing something which you hadn't expected them to do, please consider editing out the spells Dimension Door, Fly, Water Walk and Summon Boat.

Also, remember you must edit spells out of every city, shrine, and/or pyramids. I would recommend deleting pyramids as the spells they give are entirely random. (Their counterpart in skills being the Witches Hut) Please keep that in mind if you wish to edit out skills.

"Remember that in Shadow of death, some combination artifacts have components that can cast spells "Q2

Also remember that some artifacts, such as the Admiral's Hat and Sea Captain's hat (Summon Boat) allow certain spells. If you don't want those spells to be avaliable, search out and destroy artifacts which give them.

Finally, watch out for Heroes whose starting spells are the ones you don't want. You will have to edit them out manually.

Step 6: How to Test

"First validate in the editor to make sure you haven't accidentally blocked something, or mismatched your portals."4 as that could have adverse effects on your entire hard-won heroic project.

If the players can't reach that sulphur mine, or perhaps the artifact needed to win the game, then you are in trouble. All your hard work has gone to waste. Don't let that happen. Double check.

Another note, I have heard that the editor validation doesn't always work, thus, you should test the map pathings yourself. A good way to do this is to create several heroes across the map and control them, making them go EVERYWHERE, testing EVERYTHING.

If you do this, everything should be reachable, and the game playable.

Another way to test is to play as all sides, even as the Computer. You must do this to determine how powerful they CAN get. This way you will know how easy it is for them to do things. If their pacing is how you wanted it to be, congratulate yourself. If not, fix it.

Also, "Use the cheat code to display the map and watch closely all the moves each side makes."5

Step 7: Testing

7.1 Reachablility

After you are done with your hard earned heroic-project, please test it yourself, then allow other people to test your map. They may find things that you missed.

Examples: "I can't reach that sulphur mine" (Something that many people have cried upon seeing the 6th Map in 3DO's Heroes Chronicles: Conquest of the Underworld scenario)

Further Examples: "I was killed by 10000 minotaurs on day one." Being killed by monsters that you cannot avoid early in the game is NOT fun. If no one can best the challenge, you would do best to reduce it or do away with it entirely.

Yet Further Examples: "I beat the game in 5 days." Unless you wished for the game to be conquered in 5 days, you may want to consider how to make this game harder.

Remember to take notes while testing, then retest.

Grammar and Spelling

For some strange reason, a lot of people and a lot of guides chide people for incorrect grammar and spelling. This annoys people. However YOU can do something to avoid being embarrassed.

Tip #1- Write out your whole story beforehand in word, notepad, works, longhand (my personal favorite), LotusWordPro or some other document. IF you write it out with the computer you will just have to tab between the editor and the document, then cut and paste the words into your map. However, if you have a slower computer (Pentium I or older) you may wish to write the whole tale out longhand, then copy it (by typing it) into the Map Editor.

Tip #2- Get a tester to proofread the tale for you. This could help profoundly.

Tip #3- If you decide to export your text and set it up in a text editor, please remember not to press enter to create any new paragraphs, etc. as this has been known to create problems when you try to import the files back into the game6

Step 8: Admire your Map

Well, congratulations, you are done! Or are you... :evil grin: Perhaps, and then again, perhaps not.

If you would like others to see your map, you should post it somewhere on the web at one of the Heroes III sites that still accepts maps.

Then, you can wait for the praise to come rolling in... Hopefully.

Good job!

Appendix A: A list of possible submission places:

Here at Martello Tower, of course

Heroes III Trio

Astral Wizard (I don't think they are taking subs anymore, but they may)

Celestial Heavens Unleashed

Appendix C: Map Cheats

For quicker testing, here are a few map cheats:

Restoration of Erathia (nwcgeneraldirection)

Armageddon's Blade (nwcrevealourselves)

Shadow of Death (nwcwhatisthematrix).

Appendix D: Final Notes

• For Advanced MapMaking tips, H3Trio is the only place to go!

This Guide Copyright 2002 DarkCloud

UNSORTED
    The general accepted method for maps is to put a lot of Stuff in them.
    Gems, mines, other little resource piles.

Resource piles are important unless your map deals with a dearth of resources, in which case you may want to stick lots of decorations in place of them.

Also remember, resouce pile placement is important. If you place them near a monster stack, then the player may have to fight the monsters to pass.

Good use of resources could force the player to fight monsters before they can even pass through the resource piles.

"Customize hero names and histories. If any heroes are pre-placed on the map, then this adds a lot of flavor. Some craftier map designers may even put hints in there. If you are really ambitious, modify the histories of heroes in the hero pool also (although I would not expect that to be done) " -Quirquish
    "Anyone who has placed timed and site events knows that you can, and often should, specificy which players should or should not get the event. You can choose by player position (Player 1=Red,...,Player 8=Pink), and / or by type of player (AI or Human).
    It is very important- probably more so than in other types of events- to make TOWN events player dependent. For example, in some maps you find that there are timed events attached to towns that give a player extra troops, resources, dwellings- whatever- from an external benefactor (or resources stolen by an enemy faction). I have seen this done many times when the player is one of the king's generals. The problem is when you take over another town. If I, playing red, capture blue's starting town, why should the blue benefactor give me blue's bonuses? Similarly, why should I lose resources when the thieves are from my own faction?
    So, in short, be certain that any event that you place makes sense for all the players who can get it- even ones in towns. " --Quirquish

Endnotes

0 1st paragraph, Kristo's School of Quality Mapmaking, by Michael Kristofik

0.1 ibid.

0.6 ibid.

0.8 Kristo's School of Quality Mapmaking, by Michael Kristofik

0.9 Kristo's School of Quality Mapmaking, by Michael Kristofik

1 3rd paragraph, Maranthea's Map Making Tips, Jennifer Bullard

Q Quirquirish Dragon Says, Qurquirish Dragon

Q2 Quirquirish Dragon Says, Qurquirish Dragon

2 3rd paragraph, Maranthea's Map Making Tips, Jennifer Bullard

3 2nd paragraph, The Map Maker's Checklist, Jenn

4 6th paragraph, ibid.

5 7th paragraph, ibid.

6 6th paragraph, ibid. Thank you Jenn for that information. I have paraphrased your thoughts and changed a few things however.

Bibliography

Maranthea's Map Making Tips, Jennifer Bullard

The Map Maker's Checklist, Jenn

Kristo's School of Quality Mapmaking, by Michael Kristofik

H3Trio, by Cattleman

Quirquirish Dragon Says, Qurquirish Dragon

-
    Final Note: The RED is for the most important items.
  • __________________
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944