Old August 19, 2002, 17:58   #1
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Warcraft 3 - The Battle at Agincourt
OK, I've been playing some custom games on battle.net and came across a Braveheart one. It sucks. Badly. They have a whole bunch of Orcs outside of a castle which contains a ton of troops (including cavalry) and the King and Prine of England. What the hell am I supposed to do with cavalry INSIDE the castle?

Following that thinking, I decided to think what the best kind of battle would be to make a map of. I wanted an open field battle to manuever forces, and Agincourt is the first that popped into my head.

So, I would like some help making this map. I'm going to look for a somewhat accurate map of where the battle was and the geograpy because I want to not only have the forest with it's narrow section for the battle, but I would also like the town to be there. I want to make this so that the French can alter history by moving the battle. It won't help too much by going into the town because those will still be narrow places where a large army will be unsuccessfull, but it's a start. Also, I will need approximate troop compositions and who the leaders where other than Henry V. Also, I'm assuming that all leaders were cavalry and that not all cavalry were leaders. If anyone can help me with this project by researching, suggestions, and play testing (woohoo boy, assuming I can get the rest done in a reasonable amount of time) I'd greatly appreciate it.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old August 20, 2002, 01:00   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Here's a map that might help you: http://www.livgenmi.com/gardiner71.htm
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 20, 2002, 01:04   #3
DinoDoc
Deity

BTW: IIRC, Henry V had a sizable number of archers to supplement his mounted troops.
Old August 20, 2002, 02:31   #4
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
BTW: IIRC, Henry V had a sizable number of archers to supplement his mounted troops.
IIRC, English archers were to charging French cavalry as World War I machinegunners were to charging infantry. Wasn't this the battle where the English longbow came into prominence?
Old August 20, 2002, 08:44   #5
mactbone
Prince

Yes, this battle was won because the English archers decimated a much larger French force which consisted of a large number of cavalry. The English had been roaming around the French countryside and the French were looking for them - they finally sighted each other at Agincourt and the French and English both figured that the French would destroy the English. Due to some factors that came into play (narrow field, English had the archers, whatever) the English managed to win. Although, the English did lose their baggage train to French locals and I think after this battle the English retreated back to England, which I think basically ended Henry V's bid for the French crown.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:56   #6
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:35
Henry's bid for the French crown was going well. He probably would have united the French and English crown had he not died of dysentry.

By 1419 Henry and the English had captured Normandy, Picardy and strongholds of the Ile-de-France. (Re-reading that looks like I took the place names from EU )

In the Treaty of Troyes in 1420 Charles VI of France passed over his son to name Henry V as heir to the French crown. Had Henry lived a mere two months longer, he would have been king of both England and France.

Re Agincourt:

The main factor that allowed the English to to win, was the French cavalry was bogged down in mud and could neither attack or retreat effectively.
Old August 22, 2002, 17:59   #7
mactbone
Prince

Here is the map so far. I've only had time to make what I think is a fairly good looking terrain map.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip agincourt.zip (24.3 KB, 1 views)
Old August 23, 2002, 02:45   #8
devilmunchkin
Warlord

Local Time: 06:35
i'm very addicted to this game...but now that i'm back at school i can't play anymore (game is my bf's)....
i'm so miserable!
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old August 25, 2002, 10:09   #9
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
but now that i'm back at school i can't play anymore (game is my bf's)....
LR won't let you borrow the game?