Old August 19, 2002, 20:58   #1
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Worst Patch
I have to say that the new patch is the worst addition to the game yet. My game crashes twice as often now, editing is actually harder and more time consuming. Fraxis, if you're going to add to things to the Pedia file make sure they work before you put out the patch. I know this is a rant but I had to vent!
Old August 19, 2002, 21:08   #2
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 07:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I haven't had any problems. It might be something local on your system. Have you tried contacting the Help support?
Old August 19, 2002, 21:13   #3
Wormwood
Warlord

Since the 1.21 patch I've been having a lot more crashes myself, and it never ever crashed prior to that. I fixed it ( sort of ) by turning of the music, just using using sfx. You might consider that. I haven't had a problem since.
Old August 19, 2002, 21:22   #4
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:36
If you add new units, or rename them, in the Editor, you still, even with 1.29, have to tweak the Art/Units folders.

This is annoying, but it is easily corrected by creating the new folder, pasting in art and sound files, and simply renaming the .ini file. It works for me.

I have tons of problems with Civ 3, but crashing isn't high on the list.
Old August 19, 2002, 21:24   #5
Thrawn05
King

Well your rant isn't helping us understand exactly what is going on.

Could you provide information on what exacly is going on, and your system (CPU, RAM, Video Card, Sound Card, OS and which patch you are using).

Also, check with the Help section of Civ3, there are people there that will help you.
Old August 20, 2002, 01:46   #6
LaurenX2C
Settler

Local Time: 06:36
it actually helped mine
Old August 20, 2002, 02:19   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:36
The only crashing problem I've had is testing out my multiple-player scenarios (which, unfortunately, happens every time ).

Why Firaxis!!! Whyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 20, 2002, 03:34   #8
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 08:36
Civ3 never crashed on me.
Neither did it after the last patch.

Does it crash at a certain point all the time?
Old August 20, 2002, 03:51   #9
Deathwalker
Prince

Civ 3 only ever crashed for me on XP and then only defore the first patch
Old August 20, 2002, 05:28   #10
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 08:36
Civ3 never crashed to me either.
Old August 20, 2002, 06:18   #11
The Pioneer
Prince

Funny thing is that Civ 3 never crashed on my system! I've heard people complaining and I am wondering if it may be a local problem?

So long...
Old August 20, 2002, 08:46   #12
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Civ3 has crashed maybe 5 times at random occations on my win98 computer since i got it (christmas). It has not crashed more often since 1.29.

On my win2000 computer it has not crashed a single time yet!

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 20, 2002, 08:59   #13
Stuie
King

Local Time: 02:36
The game crashed on me for the first time using the new patch... never had a problem before. Weird thing is, both times it crashed was right after I got a "We've lost our source of furs" message, and then I clicked on the advisors button in the upper left. Then I got a illegal operation message and had to re-boot. Now I find myself saving the game every time a luxury trade deal ends.
Old August 20, 2002, 09:17   #14
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

I am running Civ3 under WinXP Pro and have no problems with crashing... with one notable exception. The game will crash relatively often, if I use the F3 key... should I use, say, F1 and then click the Military Advisor, it's okay... but F3 causes the game to crash "relatively" often (like once or twice throughout a 20-hour game).
Old August 20, 2002, 09:28   #15
HazieDaVampire
King

it probubly takes more time to make scenarios cuz you have more things to put in! You can still make a boring old map and it will take the same time, just now you have more things you can do!
Old August 20, 2002, 10:22   #16
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
I am running Civ3 under WinXP Pro and have no problems with crashing... with one notable exception. The game will crash relatively often, if I use the F3 key... should I use, say, F1 and then click the Military Advisor, it's okay... but F3 causes the game to crash "relatively" often (like once or twice throughout a 20-hour game).
F3 is my crash key too. It happened a lot on my old 98 machine, but its only happened once on my new XP pro. I just save before pressing F3 (I don't autosave).

The other thing I've noticed. Going from a PII-450MH w/ 256ram to a P4 - 2G w/ 512ram makes a huges difference. I'm actually considering trying a big map. On my old computer I would usually play small maps or increase the ocean coverage on regular maps.

The 1st patch was the only bad one, IMO.
Old August 20, 2002, 10:28   #17
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
The 1st patch was the only bad one, IMO.
I agree with that. I was better off with the out of the box version.
Old August 20, 2002, 10:53   #18
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 00:36
I don't have any problem with patch 1.29f yet. In fact, I enjoy playing it more than any previous patch.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:02   #19
Flight
Warlord

Mine used to crash in an earlier version but i posted the porblem on the bug thread above and it got fixed in the next patch and as far as i know i was the only person to report it. I was happy

It hasn't crashed since
Old August 20, 2002, 11:15   #20
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Mine crashed after i buggered about with my drivers, once i had set it all back to the original settings it stopped crashing.

I had to reinstall though.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:32   #21
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

You can add my voice to the chorus of F3 induced crashes:
W2k Pro SP2+,
550MHZ PIII
512 MB RAM
6 GB HDD with 1.6 GB free space
1280x1024 on 8 MB AGP card

It usually happens when I go to the F3 screen after looking at a city screen or one of the other advisor screens. If I do something else, like finish the turn, no problem next turn if I start at the Military Advisor screen, and then go elsewere.

It has been doing this since the game was installed, and the game is patched to 1.29f

It's annoying, but predictible.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old August 20, 2002, 11:36   #22
Moonsinger
Warlord

Out of the box, the screen went blank right after the introduction screen, but they fixed it in the first patch. Also, it used to crash all the time in WinME. After I upgraded my system to WinXP, the game hasn't crashed since.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:12   #23
Grumbold
Emperor

I've had a few crashes but not often enough to get upset about it. Then again, I suppose any crash during a multiplayer game is going to be a significant irritation so PtW needs to be rock solid.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:15   #24
N. Machiavelli
Prince

I had my first crash yesterday. It's nothing that I can replicate so I chalk it up to 'one of those things'. It was a graphics/processing hang/loop that wouldn't end. I closed the game, restarted and everything was hunkey-dory.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:19   #25
Ethelred
King

I have had the game glitch or even crash in the Military Advisor screen as well. It started AFTER I planted a spy. Now that I wiped out the civ I had the spy working on it stoped hanging.

I think its an issue with seeing other civs units in the Military advisor.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:36   #26
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
I have had the game glitch or even crash in the Military Advisor screen as well. It started AFTER I planted a spy. Now that I wiped out the civ I had the spy working on it stoped hanging.

I think its an issue with seeing other civs units in the Military advisor.
Interesting idea, Ethelred!

I will try collecting some evidence in my future games... could be a fine error report for Firaxis, if we can confirm it depends on the spy.

EDIT: Ethelred, I guess you meant to post the error report in a different thread. The bug report thread is Topped, while the PATCH README thread will soon be forgotten... I think Firaxians have less time to watch the forums lately (can't remember seeing them posting in a long time), so putting it into the bug thread should make it easier for them to notice.

Last edited by vondrack; August 20, 2002 at 12:41.
Old August 20, 2002, 13:05   #27
Ethelred
King

I posted it here because someone allready mentioned a problem with the MA on this thread.

I then posted it to the 1.29f bug thread. After I did a search which showed a MA screen bug but there was no mention of a spy being involved in the problem. I only discovered the bug two days ago. I wasn't sure of the cause at the time since I was using the NO CD executable. I switch back to original version and still had the bug. When I wiped out France, where I had the spy, the bug went away. So now I am pretty sure about it.
Old August 20, 2002, 13:07   #28
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 23:36
I just had my fourth or fifth crash in the eight months I've had the game. Near as I can remember, every one of those crashes occurs when a fighter on air superioity engages an enemy bomber, often near the "edge" of the map. These incidents have occured under 1.21, 1.17, maybe earlier patches as well.

(It doesn't crash on all AS missions - these work well the vast majority of the time - just trying to say that all of my limited crashes seem to occur in the context of air battles).

Catt
Old August 20, 2002, 13:24   #29
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
I just had my fourth or fifth crash in the eight months I've had the game. Near as I can remember, every one of those crashes occurs when a fighter on air superioity engages an enemy bomber, often near the "edge" of the map. These incidents have occured under 1.21, 1.17, maybe earlier patches as well.

(It doesn't crash on all AS missions - these work well the vast majority of the time - just trying to say that all of my limited crashes seem to occur in the context of air battles).

Catt

THis is a known problem. Most people who have made WW2 mods know of this. There is no work around at this time other then avoid air battles at the poles for the time being.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:30   #30
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Well yes as many problems Civ III creates crashing is one which didn't occur to me but hey you never know which bugs Civ III has in store you see something new every day. Surprises. Surprises.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.