Old December 14, 2000, 00:49   #1
Jim W
Warlord

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How can you tell where your government sits?

Is there some screen that will tell you the status of your government when you go into revolt? Specifically, how long you've been there?

I'm presently in a game where I've just revolted from monarchy with the hope of becoming a Republic. After an unconscionable length of time, nothing had happened yet, so I checked. I was still a kingdom. Perhaps I hit the wrong key when it said Revolt: Yes/no?. but I don't think so.

So I hit the revolt key again, and nothing seems to be happening.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim W
Old December 14, 2000, 01:00   #2
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
Jim,

1. If you change governments as soon as you make the discovery, then you wait the shortest amount of time. Zero - 3 or 4 turns. See a thread on this from about Aug 2000.

2. If you revolt later on your own without Miss Liberty then you have a 3 turn minimum usually 5-6 turns in anarchy. You should have seen Anarchy and not Kingdom if you were revolting in a regular game. You may have just started a new revolt cycle of several turns.

3. If your population revolts on its own causing a collapse of your government the minimum is 5-6 and could be as long as 10. Not exactly your best choice for changing governments.

Ken
Old December 14, 2000, 01:48   #3
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
See oedo's thread xxx0 in the Strategy forum for more information about revolts. New governments will only be established in every 4th turn of the game (3850, 3650, 3450, ... on deity), so it is best to revolt at the end of the turn before that to minimize your time in anarchy.
Old December 14, 2000, 07:26   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

The link to oedo's great work is http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001359.html?90 for this and other pieces of arcane Civ wisdom look in the Great Library - temporarily housed at the top (sticky thread) of the Strategy Forum.

Ken, sorry your second point simply isn't true

Jim, if you hit F1 or F2 the top line of the advisor screen reads something like "Republic of the Greeks"

Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old December 14, 2000, 12:19   #5
Jim W
Warlord

What really bugs me is that I may have hit the wrong button the first time, and refused the revolution. The second time, though, I was aware of the possibility, so I was being a bit more careful.

The third time, (after I sent in the post), I was extremely careful, and, indeed, when I checked, I was no longer King but Mr..

Then, of course, after the Republic came through, in a fit of joy I forgot to change my luxuries, so three cities went into disorder, just to remind me.

Still, I've got a smallish continent to myself, and a foreign city across one of those one-square straits from a city of my own, so I can send any sort of goods there for a reasonable price.

And if the goods happen to be in demand there, why I'm really in clover.

I'm thinking of running Commie or Fundy for a while, later on, to build up a bit of a bank account. Or maybe I should save that until I've got all the techs in place for the spaceship, then change government for the financial advantage.

Jim W
Old December 15, 2000, 20:57   #6
Ken Hinds
Prince

SG(1),

Which part of my second point is not correct? I always check my government type in the Tax window so something else may show if it is checked from somewhere else.

Ken
Old December 16, 2000, 01:54   #7
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
SG(1) is referring to the three turn minimum - six turn maximum period in anarchy. Thanks to Oedo we know that there is a maximum of four turns in anarchy and a one turn minimum.
Old December 16, 2000, 03:01   #8
Ken Hinds
Prince

Thanks Paul. I had looked at the thread right after it was initially posted by not gone back and looked at the additions.

One other think that I have found, just in case someone doesn't know. In the turn that you complete the revolution and have been declared the leader of the new government you can undue the change for free at anytime before you move your last unit. Based on the contents of your cited thread this makes sense now, but did not when I first discovered it.

Ken