Old August 20, 2002, 16:32   #1
frostycreep
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City placement
Im sure this thread has been done before but im gonna go ahead and ask this question anyway.

Ok, I can master civ 3 on monarch level, but when i move up to emperor i struggle. The main reason I struggle is because the AI expands so quickly that I end up with about 6 cities before ive ran out of space(on a standard map). The AI on the other hand will have double the cities, and i never really manage to compete with them in terms of military and science. Therefore i end up losing miserably. One way i could combat this is by building loads more cities in a more confined area, i.e. building the cities only a few squares apart from each other. What i just wanted to know was how will this effect the cities themselves? Will they not grow higher than a population of 3 because there competing for food? What is the minimum space you could get in between cities that wont hinder the city growing above a level 4 population, does it need to be at least 3 squares? I usually do what the AI does and leave about 6 squares in between each city but this dosent seem to work because i dont expand quick enough.
Old August 20, 2002, 16:40   #2
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:38
Wow. You have displayed a real talent: apparently you haven't read hardly any of the threads in this forum. Fear not, oh lazy one, I will provide with the answer you could have easily found in just a few clicks:

You are using a highly effective strategy called ICS: Infinite City Sprawl. By packing your cities close you are able to pump out more culture, military units, and tech. Due to the proximity of your cities your corruption levels are very low. Yes, your cities will be limited in growth but you are able to abandon cities later - though I doubt you will. Some people in this forum think this strategy is a godsend, others, cheap and shameful. The fact is, it's one easy way to beat the game at the more challenging levels.
Old August 20, 2002, 16:50   #3
frostycreep
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:38
Ok thanks. Ill give it a go! And yes im kinda lazy, I just didnt really look at any threads where i thought the title didnt relate to this. Ive seen one now though, I just didnt know what ICS meant before you just told me!
Old August 20, 2002, 23:39   #4
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Incan_Warrior
Wow. You have displayed a real talent: apparently you haven't read hardly any of the threads in this forum. Fear not, oh lazy one, I will provide with the answer you could have easily found in just a few clicks:
Don't be an ass! No one likes rudeness when just asking a question. Instead of making ANY comment, you could have just provided a link to the thread he "could have easily found in just a few clicks" and left it at that.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.