Old August 21, 2002, 11:42   #31
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Wormwood

I don't know... I was playing on Monarch, and had risen to 1. Now, I was chock full of luxuries, and had like a dozen trade agreements, so maybe that soothed them some, but nobody was declaring war on me. In fact, they all seemed to pick the weakest nation on the continent, gang up on him, destroy him, find the next one, and so on...
Which goes to show that the AI in civ3 is better then that in civ2. It's more complicated so some people will see everyone ganging up on them and others won't. AS I said the AI decisions are not just one dimensional.
Old August 21, 2002, 13:06   #32
Stuie
King

Local Time: 02:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian
Three warriors make a pretty good wall if they are moved correctly. The AI will keep trying to get around them, but won't get mad at you. But then sometimes I just kill the settlers, and am done with it.
Yup, if you have three units you can pretty much block any one unit in the open. I've done the same, sometimes blocking settlers, sometimes blocking military units that the AI desperately needs to move from point x to point y. I've even used a wall of obsolete units (swordsmen, of course) across an entire continent to restrict/control the flow of AI units. That way I get to choose where they fight, and thus which civ gets the advantage/disadvantage of the terrain.

And I too find that if it gets tiring, dispatching them is an alternate solution.
Old August 22, 2002, 12:27   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
hi ,

, maybe there is something that is overseen , ...
so is there a SAV(e) , ....

have a nice day
Old August 22, 2002, 12:43   #34
Demerzel
Warlord

In my last game the AI refuses pointblank to sell most techs to me or if it will sell it wants something quite ridiculous for them. So for middle age techs, I got 3 for ~800 gold each ( ~2.5k total ), yet it sold about 10 techs to the AI's on my continent for ~1k, ~100 each.

Annoyingly I was about to smack the Chinese who'd been annoying me for a while into the ground, I'd been setting up a good solid army of Knights to do the job. When I'm finally ready to attack, I discovered that the Chinese had jumped in tech level nearly a whole age in one turn for as I said just the 1000 gold.

bloody bloody annoying AI's then refused to trade me the same techs at all, leaving me suddenly facing a lot of Cavalry units and a major struggle to catch up

'tis frustating enough that the AI's on emperor level start with such bonuses but when they gang together to increase their advantages and refuse to trade with me....

a few hundred years later, luckily the babylonians are about to launch the rocket and as I've managed to hold off the now tank & infantry endowed Chinese, I can end the game in 3rd place and get on with a new and hopefully better game.
Old August 22, 2002, 12:45   #35
TacticalGrace
Prince

You didn't expect emperor to be easy did you?
Old August 22, 2002, 13:21   #36
Demerzel
Warlord

nope just bemused by the double standards of the AI.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:23   #37
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI is charging you based on YOUR costs. Since things cost more for you on Emperor they charge you more than they do the others. Also if you trying to buy cutting edge tech its always expensive. If you are behind on tech its rather a lot cheaper.

If you want to get the tech cheap just stay behind. The best way to handle this is to research on a single long line and then buy the stuff you by passed for cheap later. That way you can sell tech for a high price yourself.

Thats kind of hard to do on Emperor though unless you are pretty aggressive about expansion.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:56   #38
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
The AI is charging you based on YOUR costs. Since things cost more for you on Emperor they charge you more than they do the others. Also if you trying to buy cutting edge tech its always expensive. If you are behind on tech its rather a lot cheaper.

If you want to get the tech cheap just stay behind. The best way to handle this is to research on a single long line and then buy the stuff you by passed for cheap later. That way you can sell tech for a high price yourself.

Thats kind of hard to do on Emperor though unless you are pretty aggressive about expansion.
hi ,

yeah , and the more money you have the more money the AI charges you , .....

you can also trade techs , while going for one "line" is almost certain that the AI goes for an other one , and is bound to get past one or more that he wants , yet does not research for one or the other reason , ....

have a nice day
Old August 22, 2002, 16:56   #39
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 23:39
Depending on the civ, AIs value the importance of each tech differently. But I noticed that they always demand exorbitant prices for Nationalism and Communism.

As for AI Civs ganging up on you, there is a third explanation:
Your are too weak and AI civs see a good opportunity of smacking you. But it works vice vers a, too: if an AI civ perceives an opportunity in taking another AI civ's advantage, it will ally with you against that civ.

This thread shows a good example on how you can manipulate AI civs tearing each other apart:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...06#post1196980
Old August 23, 2002, 04:22   #40
MarBaS
Chieftain

I just dont like getting ganged up 0on by 10 civs

Takes the fun out of everything
Old August 23, 2002, 05:12   #41
Ethelred
King

Then build some more military units and TRADE with the other Civs. If they are ganging up on you on the warlord difficulty level its something you are doing wrong.

If you have something they need and won't trade they will eventually try to take it.

If you can't defend yourself they will attack.

If you can't figure out what is wrong post a save and we will try to help with advice.
Old August 23, 2002, 05:15   #42
Ethelred
King

Oh, one easy way to avoid being attacked by ten civs. Play with less civs. I guarantee you, if you play on a standard map with only seven oponents you will never be attacked by ten. The game goes faster as well. Not so many units to push around.