Old August 21, 2002, 15:41   #1
Mariakles
Settler

Local Time: 09:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City placement on Ressource?
This may seem like a silly question for which I should know he answer but here goes :

When placing your city, should it go straight on top of the ressource (cow, iron. whatever) or on a square right next to it?

The way I understand this is that the square the city is lying on automatically works this square, correct or not?
Old August 21, 2002, 15:52   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 02:42
Kinda correct. It works the square, but gets two food no matter what. So any food bonus gets lost. It also gets at least one shield, even if the tile normally doesn't get any.
Old August 21, 2002, 17:07   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:42
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
In general, I try not to put cities directly on resources, unless I am in a real rush for that resource (typically Iron or Horses)... don;t forget that resources all have food, production, and/or gold bonuses, and can be worked.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 22, 2002, 05:30   #4
Barchan
Warlord

Local Time: 06:42
I believe that you get two food and one shield for the city square, regardless of the underlying bonus. However, you do get the additional trade bonuses (if any) for the tile you build on. So, building on gold or another luxury will give you the extra trade.

You probably do not want to build on cows, iron, wheat or game because you lose the ability to improve the tile to get maximum production. Building on hills gives you a defensive bonus and gets you two food, but you can't mine it later and thus lose the additional shields. Building on normal grassland and desert is probably the best bet, since you get the maximum food and shield bonus from the tile without having to improve it. Building in a jungle square isn't too bad an idea either, since it'll immediately clear the jungle for you.
Old August 22, 2002, 07:45   #5
Mariakles
Settler

Local Time: 09:42
Thanks guys, this really helps me to understand the placement of cities better.