Old August 21, 2002, 22:56   #1
Corvusnex
Settler

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Collected Thoughts on All things Civ3
Hello!

I have been pondering the various Civs, their traits, special units, and other related topics and have come to some conclusions. Keep in mind, I play on Monarch level, and dabble with Emperor and experiment on Regent. I know most of these things have already been said, but I might point out some things not already mentioned. This will be a long post. Opinions are appreciated.

CIV TRAITS (no particular order)
1. Industrious: very nice. It's most important bonus is the increased work rate of your workers. That means faster city connection times (Road/RR) and faster growth, which leads to more shields & gold. I think it's affect is most pronounced in the Ancient and Middle Ages, where the rate of your civ's growth/production has a massive effect on the rest of the game.

2. Scientific: also very nice. I noticed a number of people on this list have rated this trait very poorly, and I can't understand why. For one thing, it makes cheaper the most culturally important buildings (Libraries & Universities). It also gives a free advance when you enter a new Age. People belittle this ability, but it is important because IT SAVES TIME. Ever been beaten to a crucial WoW, like the Sistine Chapel or Hoover Dam, by just a few turns? Don't you wish you could have researched that advance 6+ turns earlier? Well, the Scientific trait saves you that time. I'll ignore the reduced cost of Research Labs because I never build them.

3. Expansionistic: Ah, the crap shoot trait. This is for the gamblers, and it's advantage increases as the map size goes up. Tiny map = worthless. Huge map = excellent. The Scout may suck as a unit, but the services it provides is crucial. You get to know more of your surroundings sooner. Knowledge is power, and speed is the essence of War. The sooner you find out what would be the optimal spots to drop a city, where your neighbors/enemies are, and where the goody huts are, the sooner you can take advantage of all three. Also, goody huts are NOT to be overlooked, because their effect is most important in the earliest stages of the game. Each advance you're gifted from a goody hut saves you on average 20 turns or research time in the Ancient era. Think about it. So you respond: "I'll just trade for what I need with the AI". Well, now your giving an opponent a leg up, and keeping them closer in parity to your own advancement level. A LUCKY expansionist could be in the Middle Ages before their opponents learn to read. Don't forget about possible goody hut Settlers. That's an obvious one. So, it depends on the map...

4. Commercial: Feh. I tried it, and found that it didn't help that much in terms of controlling corruption. A judiciously placed Forbidden Palace (FP) takes care of that. The extra income is not that great either. If, as a player, you have a lot of trouble controlling corruption, go with this. Otherwise, I avoid this trait.

5. Militaristic: Another crap shoot trait. Getting Elite units more often (and winning with them) increases the odds of GL's appearing. If you can get 3 GLs during a game, that's great. Each GL after that comes that much closer to breaking the game for you. If you get 6 GLs during a game, especially by the time the Industrial Age comes around, you're set to win. But still, it's basically a roll of the die. On the other hand, I think all human players build Barracks and City Walls in their cities, so making them cheaper is a plus.

6. Religious: Almost the same advantage, game-wise, as Scientific, but in a different way. Aside from the cheaper happiness-producing buildings and their resultant culture boost, the Religious trait saves valuable time too. A typical will generally go through 2 government changes (Despot->Monarchy/Repub->Commy/Democrat). That saves about 10 turns of time. Not as much as Scientific, but still good. However, it allows the player the option of picking the optimal government for a given situation, which can be a huge advantage if played properly.

Actually, I break this up into 3 posts. My next post will be on the Civs themselves. So, thoughts?

MQ
Old August 21, 2002, 23:26   #2
Corvusnex
Settler

Follow-up: Civs
Second part of my post trilogy.

CIVILIZATIONS:

1. Babylonians: The "Culture-Bombers". With their combined advantage of cheaper religious & scientific buildings, free advance upon reaching a new era, and ability to switch freely between governments, the Babylonians have what it takes to become powerful very easily. As long as they can make it into the Middle Ages....

2. Zulu: This is the gambler's civ, considering their traits. People malign their UU, but I think it's good. I'll explain why in the next post. Still, with the possibility of generating more GLs (by virtue of more Elites) and the possibility of scoring huge with the goody huts, the Zulu could become an awesome power quickly. Or, they could completely suck and be killed off before AD rolls around.

3. English: Uh. I don't like them. Their combination of traits is not very good, and I think that their UU terribly, only better than the French's! I don't play them so I'll stop my critique here. If you have something to add regarding them, please enlighten me.

4. Persians: Excellent. The Immortal is a brutal Ancient era unit, available after just one advance. Sure, they are slow. But THAT is what the Industrious trait helps with. Some mentioned the idea of "offensive workers". Make sure there are plenty of roads leading up to the front lines, and your waves of Immortals will be slicing through the enemy Civ in now time.

5. Japanese: They're ok. I really like their UU. You don't need Musketmen when you play the Japanese. Just upgrade from Pikeman straight to Infantry.

6. Aztecs: their UU is a terrorist. Hit & run. Run deep into enemy territory and sever the supply lines. I think this civ NEEDS to go to war early to survive.

7. Iroquois: Pretty much the same as the Aztecs. UU is awesome for the Ancient era, although you need three advances to get it. Yikes!

8. Greeks: can be Science monsters. They don't have to worry about adequate defense, and with the extra gold & shields spared from corruption, it makes the science beakers fill up that much faster. I like them, but only if I'm going for a peaceful victory.

9. Germans: for some reason, I haven't had much luck with them. Their traits seem like a good combo, but I have trouble making it to the late Industrial Age to get their UU. Maybe it's because I specialize in early game strats. My game in won or lost by the end of the Middle Ages, and I find the Germans have a tough time surviving to reach their prime. Anyone have better success with them?

10. Romans: Eh. I'd say that their rather average. Not much to say about them, except for the fact that I like their balanced UU.

11. Americans: the ultimate REX-ing civ, considering their traits. If you REX properly, the Americans win. If done adequately, they're competitive. If done poorly, then just like every other weak civ you fall by the wayside. Ignore their UU; it's irrelevant.

12. France: Good combination of traits. Should be played intelligently, and can pull off some stunts similar to the Babylonians. Their UU is terrible, made even worse because it's completely g@y-looking. Of course, I just got a Diplomatic victory with them, so I can say that otherwise they are very good.

13. India: why do they hate me? Every game in which I'm near the Indians, they attack me. I don't like their combination of traits, but that's just me. Their UU strikes me as a crap shoot. If you're stuck without the normal Knight-building resources, you're set. If not, then all you have is trade material. I hope what you get in the trade offsets the Indian's weaknesses....

14. Russia: my first civ. I liked them, and I could see that if they were lucky with goody huts, the scientific lead the Russians could develop would be insurmountable. I wasn't THAT lucky, but it was good enough to give me a win in my first game.

15. Egypt: A definite builder's civ. Their UU is not too good. Not much to say about them past that.

16. China: A very good civ. The Rider is the Medieval terrorist, running DEEP into enemy territory to destory critical infrastructure and retreating before the real attack comes in. With the Workers quickly laying down roads to the front line, a strong Middle Age Chinese civ can easily become a juggernaut.

So, thoughts on this post? My next (last) post will be on the various Unique Units.

MQ
Old August 21, 2002, 23:27   #3
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"4. Commercial: Feh. I tried it, and found that it didn't help that much in terms of controlling corruption. A judiciously placed Forbidden Palace (FP) takes care of that. The extra income is not that great either. If, as a player, you have a lot of trouble controlling corruption, go with this. Otherwise, I avoid this trait."

I don't avoid this trait because alphabet is probably the most important starting tech. On deity I find it very hard to keep up without building the great library. So I always pick a commercial civ in hopes of getting the library sooner. I have never even come close to winning without either building or capturing the GL.
Old August 21, 2002, 23:58   #4
Corvusnex
Settler

Follow-up: UUs
1. Jaguar Warrior (Aztec): mobility is the best weapon in this game, as Sun Tzu would dictate. Having a fast combat unit from the very beginning of the game makes the Aztecs an EARLY game powerhouse. They can hobble the Iroquois, whose UU is equally frightening, by depriving them of horses. The "Jag Rush" is very powerful against everyone except the Greeks and the Zulus.

2. Impi (Zulu): this unit is GOOD. I know you're probably rolling your eyes right now, but hear me out. First off, as a fast combat unit, other fast units attacking it (even when fortified) CANNOT retreat. That neutralizes both the "Jag-Rush" and the Mounted Warrior (MW) assault. The Impi allows the player to have a smaller standing defense, because troops can be shifted to where they're needed quickly (even better if your road network is developed: BUILD THOSE ROADS). And, lastly, they make a good terrorism unit, able to go into enemy territory to destroy supply lines (roads) and with their Spearman defense AND mobility, they will almost always survive the inevitable attempt to root them out. Again, IMPI is GOOD. Zulu > Aztecs > Iroquois.

3. Panzer (German): one word: BLITZ!! If you understand how to utilize the Blitz, then this needs no explanation. I think it comes a bit late in the game, but it's still good.

4. F-15 (America): sux. Ignore it.

5. Musketeer (French): UGLY. Should have been 2/5 instead of 3/4. Why attack with a defensive unit?!? In fact, it's better to stay with Pikemen until you can skip to Rifleman or Infantry. A Musketeer is only useful for triggering a Golden Age.

6. Samurai (Japanese): Excellent. Balanced, Fast, AND doesn't require Horses. What more could you ask for. It's that good.

7. Hoplite (Greek): excellent defender. That's all it does, and it does it extremely well, even when Pikemen become available because it's so much cheaper.

8. Cossack (Russian): Eh. Calvary is already very powerful. An extra defensive point is nice, but it tends not to be very decisive.

9. Man-O-War (English): You can rule the seas, for a very short while. Otherwise, it's a poor UU. Just get the Ironclads and be done with it.

10. Mounted Warrior (Iroquois): when it becomes available, it's ON. I played a game as the Babylonians, and just BARELY limped into the Middle Age with a mighty Iroquois nation pummeling me with constant attacks by MW. If not for the Swordsman (the offensive unit for the every-civ), I would have been killed before I left the Ancient Era. The MW is a powerful unit, and a lucky Iroquois scout could uncover enough techs to make the discovery of Horseback Riding FAR quicker than normal. Then, woe to the neighbors.

11. Elephant (India): this unit is only really good if you're caught without the standard Knight-building resources. Otherwise, it's just a Knight. Nothing special at all, when India needs something to make it shine.

12. Bowman (Babylonian): Available with just one advance, it's a nice balanced unit. Still, the Babylonians could just as easily have Swordsmen with an equal research expenditure. Use it to hunt Barbarians, and trigger your Golden Age. Otherwise, it's irrelevant. Build a Swordsman.

13. Rider (China): Ooo, he's FAST. Go long, go for the touchdown. You thought your opponent's source of horses & iron was unreachable? Not to a Rider! It's the first Blitz (move 3) unit in the game, so use it wisely. It's good

14: Immortal (Persian): the Ancient/Middle Ages juggernaut. Everyone knows this. No real flaws, not when your Industrious Persian workers are laying down roads to your opponent's impending doom.

15: Legion (Roman): I like balance. You could probably tell from my thoughts regarding the Samurai. This is similar. With just two advances, the Romans have a great defender AND offense well into the Middle Ages. If it were fast, it would rule the world.

16. War Chariot (Egypt): Bah. Chariots aren't worth it. This unit is for triggering the Egyptian GA, and nothing else. If the terrain is good, it can make an excellent EARLY game attacker, like the Jag-Warrior. So, keeping both things in mind, I'd say it's adequate.

That's it. What do you think? If you have any further insights you'd like to share, please do so. I can always learn something new, and it would help once I get my hands on the PTW expansion

MQ
Old August 22, 2002, 00:01   #5
Corvusnex
Settler

kimmygibler: I forgot to mention that with the Commerical trait. The quick path to the Great Library is the ONLY reason why I'd pick this trait. And, since the Great Library is more important as the difficulty level increases (although I rarely have trouble winning on Monarch and below), then the Commerical trait becomes more and more important. For me, that would mean that the French are the best Deity level civ.

Thanks for the reminder!

MQ