Old August 22, 2002, 21:59   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 06:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Best Government Choice as a Warmonger in this specific situation?
1. You are a Militaristic Civ. You are not religious.
2. You are constantly fighting wars and plan on keeping up constant warmongering, harvesting GL's with oscillating wars. You are not a "builder".
3. You have access to 3 luxuries.
4. You just discovered Monarchy and Republic on the same turn via the great library and are in anarchy. Switching out of despotism for the first time. (3 turns).
5. You have the hanging Gardens.
6. You have the oracle.
7. You have a large military and aim to keep it that way.
8. You have the Heroic Epic.
9. You have no marketplaces. You don't have currency. No one else does either.
9. you are on a continent with France, England, Zulu, Russia, Persia, Babylon. You are at war. You are strong. Russia, Zulu, Persia are all equally strong (tied civ score).
10. You are even with all the other civs in research. All the ancient age tech has been researched except for currency.

Question. Monarchy or Republic?

Which is best to last until democracy with a NON religious civ.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:15   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
There are three primary differences, AFAIK:

* Slightly less corruption as Republic.

* Free units: You did not give info on twon/city/metro status, but you get 2/4/8 free units under Monarchy, and none under Republic. This can be huge, and given the info you did provide, probably argues for Monarchy.

* Commerce bonus: Yes under Repulic.

* Warweariness: Monarchy none, Republic some.

Sorta halfway into medieval? Many towns (as opposed to cities), and in ongoing war? I'd go with Monarchy... for a loooong time, and wait for a nonconsequential period for the switch to Democracy.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:26   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:46
Monarchy.

You can war for a good long time as a republic, if you do it right. However, when war weariness hits you will rapidly find yourself out of control at the head of a large republic. When you are larger, it will take more than 3 turns to switch.

OTOH, if you feel lucky... go republic. Start wars in a staggered fashion. Do not go to peace just because you are done fighting all the time. When war weariness begins to creep up, make peace with one of your older opponents who you are no longer fighting. That will lower the war weariness.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:56   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Off-topic:

nye, did you see the praise to Mars and M&Ms that I and Aeson made?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 23, 2002, 00:01   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Monarchy. No question in my mind on the facts as you present them. Depending on game circumstances you may decide to switch to Republic or Democracy (or even Communism!) later, or you may stay in Monarchy forever. Despite your question, you may decide that Democracy is not the government for you.
Old August 23, 2002, 00:11   #6
Artifex
Prince

This game is my first Giga map too and I am placing cities kinda close together as a new strategy. No more than 3 tiles apart. I plan on having ALOT of cities and a Sprawling Empire. I am thinking maybe this would be the game to give communism a serious shot?

It seems if communism should ever work then on a huge map with a huge empire that would be a tailor made situation. Am I correct in this assumption?

I am also thinking of just building a ton of cities and keeping them at size 12 indefinently. (not researching sanitation).

Also, Military Victory is the only victory option. (all others turned off). I am Germans too btw. I wanted to be able to use the panzers for once.
Old August 23, 2002, 01:20   #7
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
I agree with everybody else - I would go for Monarchy, no doubts about that.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:10   #8
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

If you are a warmonger than Monarchy is the name of the game. Republic and Democracy do have many advantages no doubt but if it comes to support troops and waging wars than you have to go with Monarchy.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:30   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Yep, Monarchy is the way to go here.

As for communism, as I understand it, having a borg-style empire like you describe makes communism less desirable. Communism's corruption is only dependent on # of cities, without distance factored in, whereas all other governments are effected by both # of cities and distance. Communism is therefore best suited for a large empire of "perfectly spaced" cities - 4 tiles apart, little to no overlap... that sort of thing.

By the way, I've never actually used communism (though I've seen it used by a friend, and wasn't impressed) so please correct me if I'm wrong about how it works.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:43   #10
Moonsinger
Warlord

Re: Best Government Choice as a Warmonger in this specific situation?
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
Question. Monarchy or Republic?

Which is best to last until democracy with a NON religious civ.
Since you don't have the market, I think Monarchy would be a better choice.
Old August 23, 2002, 11:59   #11
Artifex
Prince

Monarchy it is.