Old August 22, 2002, 22:22   #1
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 07:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The tale of Banana Island
Before I jump in the plane to Crete, to have a bit sunshine after all the water, I'd like to post a little challenge for you. I made a map with a little surprise in it. In AU103 all of you should have trained, how to use ships. This will help you in this game.

So while I am having vacation far from all computers and Civ games and relaxing at the beach of the island of my choice (well, at least this summer), some of you could try to figure out the secrets of the Banana island. I attached a ZIP file with 4 savegames. Regent, Monarch, Emperor and Deity (who feels 1337 enough for this ). They are all the same. I played the Emperor savegame till the Industrial age, just to check if there are crashes etc., but all seemed ok.

Settings: Standard, hand made map, 7 AI civs with nearly balanced traits, raging barbs, standard rules, all victory conditions on. You have a mini advantage. Find it out and use it.

Ah yes, I'll be back Sept 7. Good luck!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip the tale of banana island.zip (195.0 KB, 165 views)
Old August 22, 2002, 23:27   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Wet to wet!! (double entrendre!)

Have fun... will definitely find the secret!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:32   #3
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I was going to try and jumpstart AU 104 until this - perhaps this challenge should be AU 104 (whatever the chalenge turns out to be!).

Sir Ralph - the floods sound terrible - I'm glad you're getting out on holiday (even if I am turning green with envy at the thought of 2 weeks holiday on Crete ).

Have fun!

Catt
Old August 22, 2002, 23:51   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I had the same thought... AU104 as an unknown?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 23, 2002, 00:24   #5
Catt
King

Why not? I like the idea of an AU course with different difficulty settings - assuming people play on different settings, my guess is that it allows a much more defined look at the challenges of moving from level to level.

Catt
Old August 23, 2002, 01:38   #6
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Thanks Sir Ralph! Sounds like fun!

Although you better not be giving us too much of a challenge just because you're on vacation and we can't find you! I know people in Crete! You won't escape!

P.S. You return from vacation on the day of my wedding. I better complete this challenge before then, because I'm not sure what married life does to one's civ time!
Old August 23, 2002, 05:48   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 07:46
Thanks for kind wishes. I don't know if this is worth to be an AU game. It was designed more as a joke than as a challenge with strategical depth, but since you can't use the standard game approach (beat the crap out of the AI from 4000BC on), it could be a useful training.

What concerns AU games being played in different levels, that is probably a good idea, as it might attract more players. Although it needs a "teacher" for each lesson, who prepares the map and produces a couple of start saves in the different levels. He can't participate himself, of course, so this office should be cycling.

Alexman, wish you the best for your wedding! My wedding anniversary is Sept 11th .
Old August 26, 2002, 13:50   #8
Catt
King

I don't know if anyone else is playing it or not, but I'm having a lot of fun. Kudos to Sir Ralph for a very interesting map.

I won't post any spoilers until I'm done but I will offer up some advice: if you bounce back and forth between 2 difficulty levels, I would recommend trying the harder of the two (though be prepared to lose or have a tough time!) - I spend most of my time playing on Emperor, with the occasional Diety game and occasional Monarch game. Due to expected personal time constraints and my desire for a more relaxed game, I am playing the Monarch level game. I'm doing quite well, but it is not a typical game at all and is more demanding than most Monarch games (IMHO). Emperor would have been a serious challenge on this set-up!

Catt
Old August 26, 2002, 15:24   #9
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

You're right. I'm playing Emperor, and I'm having a hard time. I hope I find Sir Ralph's "mini-advantage" soon! (The damn AI is stealing all my Wonders) It's still fun though.
Old August 26, 2002, 17:35   #10
Catt
King

I totally forgot about an "alleged" mini-advantage -- I say "alleged" because I haven't found it yet (unless I did find it but it wasn't particularly advantageous for me ).

Alexman - I feel for you - I've got to believe that Emperor would be very tough on this map.

Catt
Old August 27, 2002, 10:44   #11
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:46
Re: The tale of Banana Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
(who feels 1337 enough for this )
Old August 28, 2002, 12:21   #12
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
. . . . but I will offer up some advice: if you bounce back and forth between 2 difficulty levels, I would recommend trying the harder of the two (though be prepared to lose or have a tough time!) - I spend most of my time playing on Emperor, with the occasional Diety game and occasional Monarch game. Due to expected personal time constraints and my desire for a more relaxed game, I am playing the Monarch level game. I'm doing quite well, but it is not a typical game at all and is more demanding than most Monarch games (IMHO). Emperor would have been a serious challenge on this set-up!
I take back my own advice! The map is a great challenge - I'm not sure I would be in a winning position if I were playing on Emperor (I am in a winning position on Monarch, but only just so).

Be prepared for a tough challenge!

Catt
Old August 28, 2002, 12:27   #13
alexman

Looking forward to reading another of your highly entertaining AARs!

I have just entered the Industrial Age and will probably post part of my banana tale in the spoiler thread tonight.
Old August 28, 2002, 13:16   #14
Catt
King

Don't know if I'll have a good AAR - the game has been very enjoyable, but also kind of a "plodding" game. All my action has been in screenshots that are hard to capture (making 7 trades in one turn for instance). Having fun, though!
Old August 28, 2002, 15:31   #15
Theseus
Emperor

Edited to remove spoilers. Please see the spoiler thread.

Last edited by Theseus; August 29, 2002 at 12:22.
Old August 29, 2002, 11:50   #16
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 01:46
Theseus - Your post may contain spoilers. You may wish to edit it for those who haven't played.
Old August 29, 2002, 12:23   #17
Theseus
Emperor

Thanks, Slax, good call.