View Poll Results: Do you want write-in and banana votes?
Both write-in and banana votes 13 61.90%
Only write-in votes 4 19.05%
Only banana votes 4 19.05%
Neither 0 0%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 23, 2002, 03:33   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 17:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Write-in votes, Banana votes...
Three days, as per usual...

Just to clear things up...

Write-in vote: it's possible to vote for someone not on the ballot (useful if someone misses the deadline, for instance)

Banana vote: Basically an abstain

In the Civ2 game, we (I think) usually have write-in votes, but only have banana votes in the case of uncontested elections.

I haven't seen the Civ3 game have write-in votes, and only has banana votes in uncontested elections.

Last edited by Darkness' Edge; August 23, 2002 at 23:58.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:36   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:47
You answered my question before I asked it. Poll thread updated. I'll do the major overhaul of the Official Polls Results thread after the elections. Now there's no point yet of having different branches for each minister as Unorthodox does.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:44   #3
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:47
Errr.. what's a write-in vote?
Old August 23, 2002, 10:48   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:47
I *think* a blank vote.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:53   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Then wtf would we do with both banana *and* write-in votes? Are they not the same thing?
Old August 23, 2002, 10:57   #6
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think Banana = Abstain, and Write In means you want to vote for a candidate not on the ballot (so you'd post below who your write in is). Not sure though.

Z
Old August 23, 2002, 11:03   #7
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Then what would we do with a write in vote that allows you to vote for someone off the actual nominee list on the poll? I see little sense in arranging for such a possibility.
Old August 23, 2002, 18:54   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:47
At present I am effectively suspended from the Director of Base Production election. However, my computer may be up and running the day of, or the day after, the start of elections (estimated fixed time Tuesday night NA/Europe time). If this is the case, I would reenter the race. If the election thread had been started by then, I would need write-in votes for a chance. I would likely be at a disadvantage anyway, as there may be a slight chance some of those who had already voted would have changed their vote had I been in the running. I promise now I would not (seriously) complain if I lost under these circumstances. I'd only moan about it for fun.

The one issue with write-in votes is that everyon gets to see who the write-in voter has voted for. IF this unnerves anyone, then perhaps write-in votes are ususally not a good idea, but if we don't care who see who we vote for (as I don't), then they can happen. Either way, we shouldn't exclude people from writing in.

And Banana votes? I think they should only be considered in the case of a single candidate running, thus providing an alternative to having a single bad candidate being guaranteed a place.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 23, 2002, 21:54   #9
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:47
Write in votes are basically a safety net. If there's an uncontested race, and it gets all the way to the election, it wont be too late for someone else to jump in and say 'vote for me'.