Old August 23, 2002, 13:52   #1
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A more perfect Union
This little story has nothing to do with civ3.

When, in the course of human events, something went wrong we will never know. What is evident though is that every american living under the Articles of Confederation and their omnipotent states never felt reaslly comfortable. George Washington himself went to his grave wondering how he had failed the American people, although rarely did they think of themselves as such, not untuil 1867, when Abraham Lincon signed peace with Britain and the final holdout states, those which Lincon's state had not already conqured and forced into the new Federal government, found themselves finally under a single banner.

He was a great man Lincon, born in a state far to the west with a dream. Lincon's state you see was in an utter state of anarchy, it never ended, there was no ordering force at all. Illinois had been gained by the Union when the settler's revolted from france, as had many other states to the west of the Original 13. Still the articles of confederation could not provide order so he went west and found Philidelphia where he became governor, and prepared to make his dream come true.
Old August 23, 2002, 18:34   #2
trevor
Warlord

Local Time: 01:48
I sense a counterfactual coming on...
Old August 23, 2002, 23:22   #3
SKILORD
King

indeed you do.
Old August 25, 2002, 17:58   #4
SKILORD
King

"Gott Segnt Amerika" My german freind said, his cigarette drooping out of his mouth as he surveyed the former battlefeild. I smiled and slapped him on the back
"Gott Segnt Deutschland" I replied with my deeply accented german. He smiled and we proceeded to rain god's blessings upon all of the members of the Central alliance. At our hands Russia and France lay barren, destroyed. Russian Alaska had been America's prize as had a large chunk of Canada. Mexico fought Bravely as did Britain but both would loose, Britain had lost it's chance at redemption in the Dardenalles and at Montreal, and Mexico at Albequerque. Yes their counter offensives were done. The Nations forged by Bismark and Lincon would reign supreme.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:37   #5
SKILORD
King

feedback please on these crumbs, so that i may best prepare the coming feast.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:55   #6
SKILORD
King

Yes, We the People of the united States, In order to form a more perfect Union chose to conqure our brethren.

The first State To join the new breakaway was Maryland, those two states, declaring themselves the 'United States' prepared to conqure all who stood in their way, they allied with thee French to take the south, not stopping untuil Florida, which France took. Lincon, ever the brilliant politician, used a land dispute in the south to decllare war on the French and to Annex Florida and several western states in a land that the French called Louisiana. The French never forgave the Americans for this betrayal, but Bismark reputedly used the same tactic against austruia years later, without inciting the same hard feelings, perhaps because they shared their language and customs, it hardly matters though.

All that remained now was New England, a strong English presence their ensured that fear pervaded those states and lincon used that to his advantage, signing strong defensive pacts with them against the British. The final stroke to his masterpeice came whith the war of 1865, where Britian managed to hold some of Eastern Canada, but lost most of their foothold there.

The American Empire had begun, and the Germans across the ocean were beginning to assemble, But Lincon retired, putting in place a strong republic, and died of disease in 1884. To early to see his child's first real fight as a true group of United States.

Last edited by SKILORD; August 26, 2002 at 11:30.
Old August 26, 2002, 17:05   #7
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Definitely potential, but it reads like a history book, where's the great American Orgy?!
Old August 26, 2002, 19:25   #8
SKILORD
King

I have chosen to disregard continuity and hop about the timeline, switching from story to story, time to time. It's an experiment, bear with me.

"Fourscore and one years ago," Franklin Delanor Roosevelt spoke from the pedestal to his fellow americans and Canadians, the canadians seemed much happier to see the Americans in 1948 than they had before, the Americans were now liberators ending British Nationalist Party supremecy and oppression, "our forefathers brought uinto this continent a nationconceived in Liberty and dedicated to the Proposal that no man should have to live under a dictatorship.
"Now we are engaged in a great world war," The president continued," To test whether any nation thus conceived can long escape the boot of tyrrany. We meet here on a great battlefeild of that war, to dedicate a portion of that feild as a final resting place for those that gave their lives to maintain our liberty."
"But in a larger sense...."

gunshots, a man screamed, "The British are coming," and the crowd erupted into a frightened mass. The president hoped to maintain calm on that Toronto evening by speaking over his microphone for the people to calm themselves. His troops marched out to save their freinds and family, and several common men took up arms to join them, the president among them. It is said that Roosevelt, crippled as he was, fought like a lion at the front of the battle, with little regard for himself, only for the nation he held sacred.

(back in time to 1900

"The Spanish are coming," was the shout in Cuba and Mexico, and a small, determined group of Americans forced their way to Mexico City.

Their Horses were exhausted under the men, they had been ridden roughly for a straight week and those in the best contition merely dragged their feet. The men begged for water, they hadn't seen any fresh water since the Rio Grande.
Teddy's horse fell, confused and angry his men pulled up their weapons and searched for their attackers, there on the hilltop one man yelled.They rode with all the might they could muster from their steeds, and even as their horses fell wounded the men ran up the hill through sheer determination they took it from the larger spanish force. They rejoiced as Theodore Crowned the hill with an American Flag...

(That last part is a bit too History bookish yes but what about the rest...?
Old August 27, 2002, 17:46   #9
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
c'mon Skilord, a bastardization of an historical speech should be a good one, it loses it's power when taken out of the gettysburg context, that's why I come up with my own, and reserve historical speeches for funny stuff, like "one score 5 minutes ago, four women created with me a more than perfect union, destroyed domestic tranquility, and provided for a common entertainment for all present."
Old August 28, 2002, 13:24   #10
SKILORD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Metaliturtle
c'mon Skilord, a bastardization of an historical speech should be a good one, it loses it's power when taken out of the gettysburg context, that's why I come up with my own, and reserve historical speeches for funny stuff, like "one score 5 minutes ago, four women created with me a more than perfect union, destroyed domestic tranquility, and provided for a common entertainment for all present."
alright.....
Old September 1, 2002, 01:54   #11
trevor
Warlord

Nice job so far SKILORD; you ever read the Great War series by Turtledove?
Old September 2, 2002, 13:29   #12
SKILORD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by trevor
Nice job so far SKILORD; you ever read the Great War series by Turtledove?
yes. and i enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't wait for him to get to WW2 in that sereis.
Old September 2, 2002, 13:56   #13
SKILORD
King

"Jose, can you see by the dawns early light?"I asked nudging my sleeping freind. Frankly my eyesight wasn't very good but i thought i heard something while on watch.
"What so proudly we hailed at the twilights last gleaming," he responded sitting up and dusting sleep out of his eyes. I hit him in the back of the head.
"What the hell was that?"
"I dunno, some wacky dream."
"So are the Gringoes coming?" i asked and he looked into the spyglass.
"Broad stripes and bright stars"he said describing their flag and nodding."Better wake the boys, will be a perilous fight. The Ramparts we watch will be most valiantly.... Ramparting."
I nodded, i had no idea why he was being so poetic but i got the boys up and ready to hear the American Battle-Cry "For the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave" . We screamed nothing in particular and rushed to greet them.
I suppose by the Rockets red glare and with the backdrop of bombs bursting in air we seemed quite heroic and I'm sure General Santa Ana was proud that night. But i remember very little of it, it was constant chaos and one couldn't be sure that the enemy was the only one shooting at him.
In the end my Bayonette was bloodiedf in the end and many good men lay strewn, wasted across the battlefeild. But I was reasonably sure the Americans had left....

We had won.

Last edited by SKILORD; September 3, 2002 at 13:31.
Old September 3, 2002, 01:31   #14
jongon
Settler

great
this is a great story and i love the way your presentin it, please continue
Old September 3, 2002, 13:33   #15
SKILORD
King